Crimson Canines (Complete!)

Alerius had followed along and begrudgingly gotten into the Brittania mech with his AI card that he plugged into the AI port. She came on Line and started running system checks and diagnostics. Unfortunately for Alerius much of his Tech was still highly experimental and this not all of it was totally accurate. But the shield would compensate for the slightly different controls. 

After the mission briefing he'd get a chance to actually test the new mech, pushing it to the limit of stress and mobility. Nothing broke so he was happy. Nora, His shipboard AI however was not happy. The new model complained apparently and complain she did. Constantly about performance differences. If one didn't k ow better or what to listen for one may assume she were someone on a comm in come control room somewhere.

Alerius hopped out of the mech with the moniker "Danny" as his name. " I think I'll stay here on reserve with Artemis. " he'd volunteered. This was the first time he'd ever volunteered to stay back and not be the first one Into the fray. It was strange for him anyway. Though Alerius was always one to follow his instincts and if his instincts too him to stay behind he would. 

Some me time after mission start, sitting in his Mech start he opened up Comms with Artemis " So please tell me I'm not the only one with a strange foreboding sense of Doom?" He said as he ran some sword drills in the open area, getting used to the mech's movements and reaction speeds.

@Zer0

Last edited by a moderator:
"Nooooo... It's a trophy wall... You know... animal heads..." There was a 30 second pause. "I'm not a serial killer." He'd charge up his chain gun and fire into a wyvern, the bullet passing through it and clipping the wing of another. "Two birds with one stone!" He loaded another charge. He fired at one of the wyverns and it would fly another foot then fall out of the sky into the mountains below. "You know he's dead." He'd fire a cluster bomb into the group, killing a good few. Before two more took each one's place. "They're multiplying like rabbits!" He'd Shoot another out of the sky. "They're going to swarm us soon if we don't start doing some damage!"

@CkSmalling@Zer0

"Relax Kennedy. Just messing with you. After this i would really like to see what animals you have collected over time."

@LordPicklesworth

"Aye Capt'n." He readied his weapons and armor. As he was thinking of a tactical way of eliminating, the first shots were fired by Grizzly and Komodo. "oh Well we live once right." He raised his Gatling towards the wyvern filled skies and pressed the trigger. The six barrels began to rotate until they reach their optimum speed and the bullets flew from the weapon. Thanks to the Electronic Warfare System he installed, the bullets were reaching and damaging their marks with high accuracy and damage. He swung from left to right, stopping in between the turns to prevent bullet wastage and continuously fired.

@Zer0

"Aaahhhh the gool ol' mercenary days. Well our group was called The Black Sting. We were infamous and we were in many databases for being extremely ruthless but we struck with surgical precision. Our employer, Mr. James Kid, was a kind-hearted fellow. 10 years ago, he found me after my family was killed by a group of Bandits called the Space Raiders. i was in the Mother ship SS. Unos. It was good, with a livability of about 40%. Better than nothing right? So when James found me he asked me one question. 'What would you like to do?' Since i was filled with rage, hatred and remorse, i was quick to say, Revenge. As always. So he took me in and told be revenge will not bring your loved ones back from the dead, but helping others will. Since i was a hard knocked kid,i was like 'yea you don't rule my life mister.' So after a couple of years of training, i was told i would join the Beta Squad. In a mission, i was nearly killed by the man who we were supposed to Assassinate. He looked deep into my eyes and said, 'You have 2 options, either come with me to the frosty mountains and i will train you, or i kill you here and here.' Since my mission of killing the Space Raiders was still pending, i joined him. My whole squad was wiped out from existence that time."

He took a piece of meat from his plate and tossed it into his mouth. He drank a few sips of water before continuing. "From that day, Beta Squad was siped off the map and the records. So the man, General Kalashnikov, was running a spec ops base in the mountains. I guess that makes me Military. I was put through a series of tests and it was determined i would be a sniper. I had the most accurate eyes during that period. So after 2 years of Sniper Training, i was sent to a mission. Of course there were small missions in between but this was the final test. My target was an African Warlord who had a base deep in the jungle. Luckily for me, he was a man of habit. Since i am African American, i blended naturally, fluent in French and Swahili. The warlord had a particular habit, fishing alone in Lake Tanganyika. Now the rule was, make it look natural. Please note that he loves in a fortress so it was a challenge. So what i did was study Botany and found a very toxic plant. SO what this plant does is make people rabid. So i pretended to be a merchant, rolled into town and luckily, very luckily sold a piece of fish laced with the poison. Since the effect are not immediate, i made camp in a nearby town and watched to see what would happen. After a few hours, the warlord became rabid and killed a bunch of his royal family, including his first born son and he was put down immediately. So i managed to kill two birds with one stone. I returned to the mountains and awarded a pretty hefty sum of money. And was promoted."

"I told the General i needed to go and he said i was welcome any time and if he called, i needed to show up. I agreed to the terms and went my way to my old boss. When i reached the camp, everyone was astonished and some tried to attack. After straightening things out with the crew and my boss, i was promoted to the leading pack, which today everyone was scattered. Man that last mission went horribly wrong."

@Zer0

ec714c723c034bfd9a116b562491bf05.jpg

[SIZE= 18px]- The Fence -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" 60 Miles away, Brittannia territory of Vulca "[/SIZE]

"[SIZE= 18px]D[/SIZE]anny, you're not the only one with a foreboding sense of doom." said Artemis who was walking on the fallen trunk of a giant tree some ways away from the vicinity of their camp setting up small capture cages under ferns and between the mossy boulders protruding from the ground.

About ten days had passed since summer began and the sun that shone through the gaps of the leafy canopies above was hot. Artemis clapped her hands free of dirt when she was done, then roped down to drink from a bubbling brook that gurgled its way through an arching gap underneath the fallen tree.

She stood up after she quenched her thirst, her helmet tucked under her arm and just breathed in the peace and quiet. This was her favorite part, just watching the nature . . . She stood still like that for ten minutes in peaceful concord feeling the sun on her face before she started to feel woozy and put her helmet back on. The air of the earth was still slightly toxic to humans and long exposure without a suit that filters the air lead to nausea, sickness, and then eventually death.

She strode back into camp. Alerius was practicing with his Brittannia mech; Artemis' own machine was sitting empty beside a boulder; and beside it, sitting underneath a pine tree was Assassin Marmot's mech and she had the cockpit hatch open and was watching Alerius practice while eating an MRE and listening to the comms.

"Danny, why didn't you go with the others?" Artemis asked Alerius curiously, climbing back on to her Brittannia mech which was a standard bi-ped unlike her scarab. "You could have practiced with live targets."

@Abdel featherfall

[SIZE= 18px]- Mountains -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" Vulca, 63 miles from The Fence "[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]T[/SIZE]he first hail of bullets and missiles from Hurricane squad slaughtered the first wave of wyverns pouring clumped together out of the mouth of the cliff. The beasts panicked as dozens fell, incinerated, or exploded apart from Panzer's AX-3 Flamethrower, the homing missiles of Vicktor's M-700 Quad Shot, Komodo and Grizzly's M-53 Myrmidons, and the bullets from Robert's T-009 gatling.

The wyverns scattered; around twenty retreated back inside the shelter of the rocky cliff where the wind was unpredictable; five of them, probably the territorial females, winged down beneath the column of bullet fire and pulled up to attack from below as at the same time ten came diving down at the squad at top speed from above and another five came circling from the west.

Grizzly and Komodo switched to their Tempest Blades and braced against their shields side by side for the impact from above; Panzer Dragon's shield faced the group coming from below and had his Thundercloud Blades at the ready.

(OOC: @CkSmalling, @tammynorthland@LordPicklesworth , for the remaining foes, GM will decide whether your attacks hit or not. Please make your mech's attack and movements specific.)

[SIZE= 14px]Active Wyverns left: 40/100[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Resources spent:[/SIZE]

• Vicktor:
    -3/8 Vulcan Chain-Gun, -1/6 M-700 Quad Shot
  • Shina:
     -2/12 805 Caliber Rifle
  • Robert:
    -2/10 T-009 Gatling
  • Komodo and Grizzly:
    -4/10 Barrage Chain Rifle, -2/6 M-53 Myrmidon
  • Panzer
    -1/2 AX-3 Flamethrower

"You go in through the vents. I'll make sure they don't decide to go and check on how it's doing. If you think you can't get in, then find a spot, get comfortable, and start the long process of getting in without a key." That said, he rounded the corner, and tried to look as inconspicuous as possible while also keeping an eye on the guards. Now if only they had more time, then they could get him into the guard rotation and he'd have a gun and gear to boot. But as it was, he had to close the gap to get anything done while they didn't. Maybe he could take one down, borrow their gun and use them as a shield. Yeah right, that'd only work if they were dumb enough to look the other way.

[SIZE= 18px]- Mountains -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" Vulca, 63 miles from The Fence "[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]T[/SIZE]he wyverns collided with Komodo, Grizzly, and Panzer's shields with a deafening crash, knocking them back, and continuously slashing and rending; there was a horrible yowling as the three retaliated and felled three of the beasts with their giant blades.

Komodo and Grizzly's thrusters boomed in full blast and together they stabilized themselves enough to minimize the damage being caused by the remaining eight wyverns' spiked tails as they hacked and slashed, maiming the wing of one, and decapitating another; Panzer, who was alone against four of the beasts was sent spinning uncontrollably towards the ground with the four whose combined weight was too much for his one mech to handle.

They crashed into the trees. Panzer was able to hold on to two that fell with him, the other two leaped away roaring, their legs skewered with branches. He had dropped his giant swords but still held his shield --- his mech had three arms. One of them bit on to one mechanical arm, and another latched on to the head of his mech as they rolled in the scrub crushing smaller trees in their fight, and ripped it off.

Panzer cursed. His mech arm shifted into his Tempest hand cannon and he fired an armor piercing plasma shot that went through the last wyvern, before the first one yanked his machine and sent it flying like a doll across a clearing and against a grove of pine trees; His cockpit hatch flew open with a hiss. He couldn't see without the optics of his mech which was located on the ripped head and tossed away his shield.

"Come on!" he taunted, his mech grabbing the broken trunk of one of the crushed trees. The wyvern didn't take the bait and instead gave a howl that called back the two that had been flying away. Panzer immediately shot it with plasma fire --- but missed.

The wyvern launched itself at him and he swung the trunk smacking it right across the face. Its momentum carried it forward, but his mech side-stepped it blocking a whiplash from its barbed tail and finished it off with a point blank shot to the back of its head.

The other two were coming. Panzer backed away into the trees and tossed one of his Smoking Zzz bombs that hissed out smoke when the two landed in front of him. He shut the air vent of his suit and activated his thermals. The two beasts were fighting blind inside the smoke. Panzer jumped out of his mech, his flamethrower chimaera shifting into a great sword.

The wyverns were woozy, slowly becoming sleepy. He strode into the smoke screen, swinging the sword in a great arch and brought it down the head of the first one in a masterful downwards stroke. Letting the momentum spin him to the next position, he dealt a kick and then a finishing backhand slash.

The last wyvern was groggy and finally fell on the ground unconscious. Panzer, looked down at it. In all honesty, he didn't like killing these animals just because humans wanted them out of their territory and so he sheathed his sword. Maybe this thing will get the drift and just run away somewhere.

He stepped out of the cloud, opening his suit's air vents again and breathed. "Anne, repair on my mech please." he said into his comms.

@CkSmalling, @tammynorthland@LordPicklesworth

[SIZE= 18px]- The Fence -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" Intel Sector"[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]I[/SIZE]zaya nodded and went the other way. He didn't communicate back for about an hour until . . . "I'm in." came his voice through the comms in a hushed whisper. It sounded like he was in a tight place. "Starting phase two."

Then after eight minutes passed. "I'm finished. I'll meet you back in the hangar. We're good."

When they rendezvoused Izaya looked a bit tense, but he did not say anything and just mounted his mech. As his cockpit hatch closed, one could catch a glimpse of him switching video comms channels to Sora, but in a private frequency so that Connor couldn't hear anything. Sora made a surprised gesture while Izaya shook his head as if something was too late, before the hatch finally shut him out of view.

"This is Isen, heading back to camp." said Izaya's voice through the comms.

@Beowulf

[SIZE= 18px]- Lysaur Valley -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]"Camp site, Night time"[/SIZE]

"[SIZE= 18px]Y[/SIZE]eah." said Artemis simply at the end of Robert's story. She didn't speak for a while as Robert's nonchalance at the death of innocent family members, probably wife and children --- she wasn't sure, and she didn't want to ask --- bothered her. She was always uncomfortable around people who didn't mind collateral damage as long as they get the job done.

That was the difference between a soldier and a mercenary. One has morals, the other one doesn't or couldn't see it. She took comfort though that Robert followed orders, so there were no worries about killing innocents there. Though Artemis did wonder what he'd do if Assassin got killed. She shook her head, such thoughts during this peaceful night when they were supposed to be chilling out wasn't good.

What's in the past is in the past, as long as Robert took care of the squad and kept to the soldier's code, he was alright to her. She sipped some hot cocoa to make up for her sudden silence and was relieved when Grizzly began sharing stories of the rescue missions they had been in. There were no military conflicts in Imperial when they were still training, so the only real action they'd get was when there were hostage situations or some criminal lord's den that needed to get cleaned out.

"I'm going to bed." she said after a while.

"Wait, you still need to judge who makes the most awesome dive, remember?" said Komodo.

"At night?! You want to dive from here and down to the lake when it's pitch black?"

"I'll wear my palm lights. And don't worry, there's  a clear space without any rocks."

"Alright." said Artemis uncertainly.

Komodo and Grizzly stripped into their wetsuit, a thin fabric worn before the combat suit itself and prepared to jump off the ledge and down into the lake about two hundred meters below.

"Hey, Robert, wanna' join in the contest? Winner gets a hundred bucks." said Grizzly.

@CkSmalling

Shina begun to see the firefight unfold. there were so many of them. Shina always had a grip on her cool during a firefight but trying to hover while taking rapid bolt firing shots at flying enemies who were born and raised flying. it wasn't like the mech operators. they were recent pilots and only Shina was completely in tune with her mech the way she would be with a human body. Shina fired another shot after taking her aim. Shina fired another large boom before dropping another wyvern with another shot. She took aim and fired once more. This shot merely maimed the wyvern as the beast made another evasive maneuver to get out of the way which led the shot to clip the wing of the wyvern as it struggled to maintain flight, Shina fluttered her attack pattern moving to provide cover fire for Komodo, Grizzly, and Panzer. Her shots were in tune while the large heavy weapons struck the wyverns in their reach but meanwhile she tried her best to pick off the ones approaching fast. The swings were in tune with each one of her shots. This allowed her allies to recover and ready for each next blow. Almost like a symphony but with attacks. "Komodo, Panzer, Grizzly. I'm going to fly high. Cover me while I make my way up then ill take high ground shots for you guys." 

Shina flew her spoken route flying up while holstering her 805 over her shoulder while she took the upper ground. Upon doing so she withdrew her Hercules. Her heat tempered heavy blade. The weapon was often used but she generally was more pronounced in her long shooting combat. Shina drew the heavy beast and slashed deep into a wyverns wing cutting it off completely. One down. many left. Shina flew higher gaining altitude about 50 yards from her allies before being confronted with 3 more wyverns inside battle length. She slashed into the first closest wyvern but shortly afterward was greeted by the claws of the next one locking onto her body her jet thrusters begun to struggle with the flight as her mech was already relatively a light mech. Shina shrieked inside her suit. She begun to analyze her options as the monster begun banging at her mech. She was losing altitude. 5 more begun to swarm on her. circling her like vultures. She couldnt think straight she was blindly swinging trying to pry the initial culprit off of her. Shina remembered something....she wasnt alone.

Shina mentally activated her shoulder port.

A whirling sound begun to erupt from the port. The sound begun to bother the wyvern along with the other 5 surround her while she fell. She activated her high boost thrusters to slow herself down and launched the port into activation.

A small beach ball shaped object ejected into the air before taking a hovering action and activating. Lights whirled onto the fire red ball. along with unfolding tiny frail arms that sparked up to life. The ball made a chirping sound. It was her pyro drone she was had installed months ago onto her Shiryoku by her mechanics back at the docking bay. They worked on it during the 3 months after the fall of the mothership during peace summit. THe robot whirled to life giving a happy sounding chirp to Shina. She made her command. "Kill these things!!!!" She screamed into the mic. The robots blue tempered lights changed into a red coding and it flurred into furry. It activated a small opening in the front almost like a mouth. It fired a powder like substance and was white in texture from a compressed air cannon before the sparkers ignited small flames on the bots little arms. It lit the substance into a bright white explosion.

Thermite.

Ther Wyverns to the left shrieked as it was incinerated by the molten hot chemical reaction that was capable of melting steal. Followed by the on to the right of Shina. the Wyvern on her got scared from the intense heat enough to have it back off of Shina to try to attack it. The orb was grabbed by the Wyvern like a cat toy before it let off another blast. This one right in the monsters mouth incinerating it alive with its shreiks and screams of blood and pain as it made its last breathe before the top half turned into fleshy charcoal remains. The 3 fell. Shina backed off regaining her ground as the Orb took care of the other three as she redrew her 805 beginning to take her aim on the enemies in the distance. Within a few moments her own battle took the upper hand. But her Hercules blade fell hundreds of feet to the ground as she lost hold of it. Along with the razor sharp teeth biting into SHinas mainframe. Her vision from her main ECU was a bit shakey. Nothing she wasnt to nervous about but the main issue would be landing. Her hover thrusters were tattered. Unreliable. She would not be able to land safely from the attack. "Everyone ok down there? I'm gonna have a rough landing after this!" She aimed her next shot before firing it off onto the next wyvern down below.

@Zer0

[SIZE= 18px]- The Fence -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" Campsite 60 miles away, Vulca, Night time "[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]W[/SIZE]hen the battle was over, Shina surprisingly numbered as one of the three who had the highest kills after Komodo and Grizzly who used up all their ammunition in the fight and only had their tempest blades and good old giant neosteel daggers left. "That was some quick shooting, girl!" said Grizzly clapping her hard on the back when they reached camp as if she was one of the guys. "You'd think you were holding a pistol instead of a sniper rifle."

"Me and Grizzly are out of ammo." Komodo said to Sora. "We resupplying in the outpost or over at The Fence?"

"The Fence in the morning after repairs. Good job, everyone" said Sora and looked over to the side where Artemis' repair drones were floating around Panzer Dragon mech, making whirring noises and emitting sparks from their tools as they re-attached its severed mechanical head and cockpit hatch. The medic herself had just finished taking out some shrapnel that had lodged into Panzer's arm sometime later in the battle when he rejoined the fight and got caught in a friendly's explosion.

"Ow, ow, hey gently!" said Panzer annoyed as she bandaged his wound a bit too tightly. Artemis had advised against him rejoining the battle earlier because he was dangerously exposed without his cockpit hatch and the wyverns loved to grapple, but he stubbornly refused when he saw the others being swarmed and flew off to help in the middle of repairs.

She stood up without looking at him, wiping blood off her gloves. "Anyone else with injuries?" she called to the others, ignoring Panzer.

About an hour later, Izaya returned from his mission over at The Fence with Connor and reported to Sora in a voice that everyone could hear that they were clear to pass through The Fence and that the soldiers whose identities they've stolen weren't there. He was also able to download maps, a lot of classified files, and some recent reports of the goings on of the war. These the two read and examined over at Sora's tent where those who wanted to help sort out the gigabytes of data was welcome to join them.

As always, Grizzly cooked dinner and most of the squad spent the free time resting or maintaining their mechs before going to sleep.

@tammynorthland

[SIZE= 14px]Active Wyverns left: 0/100[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Resources spent: [COLOR= rgb(178, 34, 34)]red = no ammo/charges[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Vicktor:
    -3/8 Vulcan Chain-Gun, -1/6 M-700 Quad Shot
  • Shina:
     -6/12 805 Caliber Rifle, -2/12 Hercules , [COLOR= rgb(178, 34, 34)]-6/6 Pyro Drone[/COLOR]
  • Robert:
    -2/10 T-009 Gatling
  • Komodo and Grizzly:
    [COLOR= rgb(178, 34, 34)]-10/10 Barrage Chain Rifle[/COLOR], [COLOR= rgb(178, 34, 34)]-6/6 M-53 Myrmidon[/COLOR], -6/10 Tempest Blade
  • Panzer
    -1/2 AX-3 Flamethrower, -2/8 Zzz Bomb, [COLOR= rgb(165, 42, 42)]-6/6 Tempest Cannon[/COLOR]

"I think one of those things broke a couple of my my ribs." Vickor said in the comms. "All I need is it wrapped. I should be fine." He said slouched over and holding at his side, "I don't think it punctured any organs." He'd wince in pain, "Vital organs anyway." 

When Izaya had arrived, he was one of the few who went into the tent to analyze the data. He'd walk in and clap his hands together. "Lets get started." Once he recived the data, he looked through it looking for anything of importance to give to Director L.

@Zer0

"What was that about, Isen." Connor said as he mounted his mech and prepared to return with Izaya. "I'm not blind, I saw you talking to Sora. I don't mean to be an ass, but I know you well enough to know that you'll do a side mission for Japan. We got our own plans, we have the luxury of dealing with something else right now. When this is done, you can do your secret missions to your heart's content. But right now, we got the apocalypse waking up, and it's real cranky." That done, he didn't say anything for the rest of the flight.

When he touched down at their base, he exited his mech and called out to Artemis. "Hey Doc! I need to talk to you real quick." Once she was close enough for him to talk to her, he motioned for her to get still closer and lowered his voice. He then quickly told her about Izaya talking to Sora and how he thought that they were doing something they didn't know about for Japan. "I know they're good people, and all they want is what's best for their country. But we don't have time for this shit. Thanatos will be waking up any time now, and I don't want an unknown figure popping up to screw with our plans."

Shina took compliment to what Grizzly said. Her recent private training really advanced her in her use of firearms. especially the 805 she was training with mostly. She had used 6 of her 12 rounds. Shina used her quick clip flicking in the new clip that held the rest of the rounds. her next goal was to get a regular extended clip but that was for a later day. "No I got a bit lucky considering my hover thrusters are fucked."

Shina had a very tough time landing considering her hover thrusters were blown out her landing was more of a .....crash. Fortunately she wasn't injured to bad besides being a bit bruised up. However the Shiryoku took heavy damage. Not only from the crash landing but from the damage that the wyverns layed on her. Upon further investigation she found out her power thrusters were indeed out of commission in charge of hovering. Along with that she discovered that her mainframe was damaged. If her impact was any harder she might have been crushed inside along with the control module ECU which was the main computer that linked the Shiryoku to Shina herself.

Shina made her way to the campsite that evening. She shipped the Shiyoku back to the dockyard to get its repairs  by Artemis considering it would be useless for the rest of the mission along with that she grabbed some of the food that was being prepared by the usual Grizzly. Shina actually was not the best chef. She generally could make anything with a pencil and paper but when it came to a pot and pan. She enjoyed going out to eat more or easy meals.

"Whats for dinner? She asked Grizzly.

@zer0 @LordPicklesworth

[SIZE= 18px]- Campsite -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" 60 miles from The Fence, Vulca "[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]A[/SIZE]rtemis tended to Vicktor's injury, giving the man pain killers and a bag of blue gel cooled to icy temperatures. She stabilized the ribs lightly with wrappings because it was more important for him to breathe properly instead of taking shallow breaths because of the pain as it could lead to pneumonia.

"Welcome back to the squad." she chuckled. She didn't know why, but getting injured on the first day seemed to be something almost all new squad members experience.

After teaching him some breathing exercises he could do later, she finally released him from her care. That was when Connor got her attention.

She considered everything he said and muttered quietly. "Something that they would kept secret from us . . ." the first thing that popped into her head was: " . . . like control of Thanatos?"

Izaya was the chief hacker in the group with the task of taking control of Thanatos or destroying the program in the mind-dominating machine if that failed, and Artemis was to support him. The plan was to put in an overriding sequence that would give Artemis 50% control over Thanatos and 50% to Izaya. No command would be obeyed unless it was 100% supported by both. It was possible that he would change that.

But this was all speculation. She wasn't sure what they were trying to do and wondered if direct confrontation was the best way to deal with this, but then the last thing she wanted was for the team to break down. So many lives were depending on them.

"I can hack into his mech or suit so that I can hear all his comms private or not, but I need to have an excuse to tinker with them, or just the mech at least, so . . . next battle, the cockpit of his mech --- the upper left hand side of the front needs to be damaged without hurting him." said Artemis.

@Beowulf

[SIZE= 18px]M[/SIZE]eanwhile, around the campfire . . .

"Mreh." Grizzly told Shina, then winked. "Just kiddin', it's just plain old soup and some meatloaf from a bunch of M.R.E.s that I'm combinin'." he took a sip from the pot, wasn't satisfied, then added some seasoned salt from the old cooking gear he usually lugged around. "Your mech looks more busted up than Panzer's, that still repairable?"

@tammynorthland

Juan_Pablo_Roldan_04.jpg

[SIZE= 18px]- Sora's Tent -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" Campsite, 60 miles from The Fence, Vulca "[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]T[/SIZE]he data that Izaya collected generally formed a mental picture of how the war has been affecting Brittannia and Russia. Panzer joined in the data sorting and this was what the four learned:

Enemy spies seeded within the U.S. faction were aware that the African President had secretly met with the U.S. and Japanese faction leaders. They also knew that the three were mobilizing their armies for something big, and were also aware of the rebuilding of the Vitrifying Cannon. Most of the war budget of the enemy seemed to be diverted here to Vulca, the research in cloning kaijus and maintaining, and speeding up their growth, and in supporting the war for space dominance.

Russia indeed was planning a ceasefire, but just like Japan, they were going to use this time to bolster up their forces and build more battle cruisers.

No report showed that the enemy was aware that the three allies had recently sent spies here to Vulca. And in regarding to this place, it seemed that a large part of Brittannia's forces have begun to rally here, but so far their kaijus were fighting in another front including one of their titans: the wyvern, Berial, who had recently won the enemy a great victory by destroying six U.S. airbases and about one thousand hovercrafts.

For the good news, at least those that died gained enough experience to reveal some important tidbits about the wyvern. It was the type of creature that needed a running start before it could fly so it couldn't just take off from the ground any time it pleased; Russia and Brittannia were also facing food shortages because most of the grub was being used to feed their three kaijus and three titans --- that's hundreds of tons of food daily --- and were going to face a hunger crisis in a couple of months which was probably why they were speeding up their war campaign using Berial to destroy key location after key location even though there weren't any Brittannia forces nearby to properly take or man whatever is left of the place.

The wyvern seemed to be paving a way for a travelling Brittannia army to march straight for where the main bulk of the U.S. and Crimson Canines army were stationed: Lysaur Valley.

Unfortunately all this info couldn't be sent immediately back to base. They had no ally C.S.A.s here so comms was just between the squad or if they wanted to, Brittannia. They had to live through this if they wanted to bring the info back, that or one of them would go back to deliver the data alone.

@LordPicklesworth

Shina honestly wasn't to enthralled with the choice of dinner after she learned what it was. She really did enjoy food back at home and growing up with what her mom used to make for her. It was a shame that they never looked at her the same anymore. Like she was a fucking liability or something even though she did what they wanted her to do. Make a name for herself. Perhaps this wasnt their idea of that. She smell the food as it was being prepared. "It smells good i hope it taste just as good." She said. But in her head she was mentally gambling. Shina recalled her mech. The fucking wyvern caught her off guard. It really did damage the mech and luckily her fuel and fuel rails were undamaged. This was a huge plus because hey mechs fuel system along with alot of the other mech in the crimson canines were operate by powerful energy. Generally why alot of the mech explode when the fuel is ignited. Of course. It doesn't happen often but is a liability in the field of work they are in. Shina Opened her mouth. No words came out.

Finally she collected her thoughts. " I hope so. hover thrusters are out. I lost my Hercules. 805 is getting reloaded. The body is maimed pretty bad. And of course the torn and thrashed metal from the wyvern that tackled me out of the sky. I wont be any use hand to hand until I can figure out a new weapon back at base. Otherwise it should be repairable unless the fuel rails were damaged. Then it could take a while." Shina said to Grizzly.

"The thing is...when ever I enter the Shiryoku and her ECU. I become a part of the machine. Like I am just another computer. Thats the way my spinal port and Bioptics operate. So instead of seeing notifications and lights inside the cabin. I feel where the injuries or issues are taking place. Of course I dont feel the pain like I would as a regular human. However I just....know where it is. But just like the human body with smaller things inside us that go wrong. When it comes to the Shiryoku if something like a fuel rail or computer module or even something as simple sometimes as a fuse goes out. My senses inside cant detect it. Its almost like another human body to babysit including my own inside." Shina felt she was thinking out loud and cut herself off. "But regardless. Thats not the important part. Im alive arent I?." Shina said trying to slightly let out a chuckle in her voice without giving it a bitchy tone. Rather a friendly one.

@Zer0

colony-77-titus-lunter-artist.jpg

[SIZE= 18px]- Brittannia Military Base-[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" Vulca, Late morning, Next day "[/SIZE]

"[SIZE= 18px]S[/SIZE]o, uh . . . you're one with your machine?" clarified Grizzly, pointing a soup ladle at Shina. He looked like he had problems understanding these things. "Do you also feel the wind on the metal when you fly?"

Artemis strode up from behind them. "Shina, done with repairs, but the hover thrusters won't be able to take heavy damage from now on. There's a risk of busting a fuel rail. The mainframe's generally okay, but it isn't going to operate as fluidly as before. That crash really did a number on it."

After all was said and done, morning came and the squad entered The Fence without contest and were able to re-supply before launching off again and flying deeper into Vulca.

This side of the fence was almost desolate. Most of the trees have been cut and there were heavy mining operations here and there, all of which seemed to be harvesting neovulcanium, a much sought after metal used in making a type of steel for superstructure armaments like the vitrifying cannon. There were so many soldiers, combat mechs, and hovercrafts patrolling the area, and every three miles there was a military camp or small outpost. Here and there they could also spot a handful of androids that looked similar to the ones they fought before.

It had begun to rain when they touched down their next stop off point. A crowded Brittannia military base situated in a grove of withered giant plants.

"Those tall twin buildings in the distance, that's where intel says is the entrance to Thanatos lair." said Sora. "We'll wait until night time, then we're infiltrating the building."

killzone3_environment_jungle_camp_02_by_jesse_van_dijk.jpg

Alerius clarified why he didn't go. " I just had a bad feeling about it was all.. Just following my instinct." He was proven to be pretty spot on when Shina's craft came in pretty busted up. He'd been away working on any repairs for the other Mechs and had missed a good portion of the dinner. Stepping down from one of the mechs he made his way over to the campfire. 

" Looks like everybody had a fun time clearing that nest!" He said as he sat down and took up a bowl. The nest would have been bad news for someone like himself who was primarily Melee based. He was fast and accurate but his Rig was made to fight mechs not swarms of Flying beasts. He he looked over to Artemis " Tomorrow is going to be a fun time." He thought it was a shame Liz couldn't come. Those swarms would have been toast. But she was a supposedly dead Brittania soldier with a widely known family and face as well as her Mech setup. Not the best for infiltration.

The Next Day Alerius took up his usual forward scouting position as they made their way through the desolate mined wasteland. Only being made even more so by the mining operations. " The more I see.. The more I think we should have stayed away from earth." He said mostly to himself as they landed for their resupply, the rain was a welcome relief though. The sound always kept him calm.

he looked to Sora, not that his head movement could be seen on the monitor. " what's the plan for getting in? I don't have much in the way of lay of the land schematics for that area yet." He asked as he set Nora into standby mode for now as they weren't in combat.

@Zer0

[SIZE= 18px]- Brittannia Military Base-[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" Vulca, Late morning "[/SIZE]

" [SIZE= 18px]P[/SIZE]hase one is intel gathering." Sora said to Alerius and everyone else. "We have the layout of the building, but not enough detail on the security, and no exact location of the lair entrance, though it's likely on the lowest floors. "

Each twin building had thirty basement floors and thirty upper floors even though they looked like they were around seventy stories high. This is because almost all of the upper floors were warehouse sized facilities of unknown purpose. As far as Izaya was able to gather from the Fence, it was the headquarters of the Neovulcanium mining operation.

One could walk in through the front doors on the first floor, but their fake ID's will probably only grant them access up to floor two and basement two which were common areas where two bathrooms, small kitchen and mess hall, some offices run by operators and military personnel, and a barracks with a storage room for twenty are located.

One dangerous option with a high risk of getting caught was to scale the building wall to the topmost floors to try and access the high security clearance offices either through force such as picking a lock, or hacking through electrical doors, or by constructive breaking by using threats, blackmail, or fraud. It's risky but it'll yield the most information. The same could be done to access the basement floors underneath basement level two, but the safest way to get down there seems to be by crawling through the smelly plumbing line which was the length of two kaijus. They'd need a small oxygen tank and would have to find a way to get rid of the smell after they come out through the waste treatment facility.

They could also walk around camp asking soldiers around for info, but they'd have to be careful not to seem too ignorant or new. It's also likely that grunts like these had no idea about classified matters.

All this Sora shared with the team after they had blended in the Brittannia military base.

"Or we can kidnap some high ranking officer and interrogate him." suggested Izaya.

"That too, but only if he won't be missed." said Sora. He turned to the rest. "Choose your routes, or if you've got suggestions speak."

@Abdel featherfall @tammynorthland @LordPicklesworth @Beowulf

"Tell me if you find an officer that won't be missed." Connor said, walking side by side with them and keeping his voice moderately low. "Otherwise I might have a look about the floors we have access to, and raid the armory if there is one. Take a change of clothes, sneak a small tank out, then go crawling through the crap chute. As long as someone's on the outside with a change for me I won't be to suspicious. Then I'll take a shower and they won't know a thing. We'll go for a climb if everything else doesn't pan out. Sound good?"

"If you want someone who will not be missed," Robert finally spoke from the shadows."I suggest grabbing the senior most officer of the intelligence sector. Basically he has all access to all the floors and he only responds to the boss of the facility,which is not an everyday affair. Or alternatively, the second in command of the same sector. They usually keep to themselves and do little interaction with the rest of the crew on the ship. If they are missing for lets say 3-4 hours, no one would bate an eye. And besides, if you need anything about almost anything, they have first hand knowledge because they filter all information before relaying it to the big man himself."

He was maybe 80% he was right because from recent research and personal observations, they mostly kept to themselves and only stay in their offices. Back upon his days as a mercenary, the intel sector would keep behind close doors and only surface when there is a new task or information which they only relay to the boss and the boss alone. If he was right, that would limit the time and everything in between. No casualties or anything. A surgical strike and extraction is all they need.

'Also correct me if i am wrong but do the cleaners have unparalleled access to the whole building maybe except the server room? We could use that as a cover to kidnap a high ranking official."

@Zer0  (OOC: I will try to post more as the work load starts to decrease)

tumblr_n55tstNFXr1sadc4zo5_1280.jpg

[SIZE= 18px]- Twin Building, General Area -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" Brittannia military base, Vulca, Lunch time"[/SIZE]

"[SIZE= 18px]H[/SIZE]ai." Sora said to Connor. "And that's a good idea." he added to Robert.

After some time discussing, they set phase one to action. Sora didn't want anyone to go off alone so he told them to pick their buddies, at least if something happens to one, someone would be there who could help.

Artemis set off for one of the medic tents and brought back two small oxygen tanks for those planning to crawl through the plumbing line. She also got some trash bags for people the people to put in any extra clothes they could swipe. Combat suits were too big for MOLLEs, so they had to be placed in a container tied to the foot, and then dragged along as the plumbing infiltrators crawled. 

She reported that there weren't a lot injured soldiers, rather, poisoned weary miners who had been working double shifts the past two months to meet their extremely high quota of neovulcanium ore. It seemed that as they dug deeper underground, they encountered more and more high pressure vents of miasma.

Miasma was a natural toxic gas that kills humans in minutes upon direct exposure, but as long as they didn't have a suit breach for more than six minutes at a time, they would be good for a while.

In the camp in another area were heavy duty armories with two big entrances guarded by two soldiers. They always ask people why they were coming inside and radio in command to confirm before letting them in, unless they have signed written orders from a superior. The armory was huge from the outside and was probably a stockpile for more soldiers than the ones in the area now.

Going around the general areas of the twin buildings from basement two to the second floor, one could easily sneak out another combat suit from the men's or women's showers. It seems that there was a communications center in the higher floors, but as usual there was an electronic gate guarded by a soldier and was accessible to individuals with a higher security access I.D., a visual confirmation by the guard, and an eye scan. Most of the individuals looked like scientists or engineers.

The twin building was heavily guarded inside with armed soldiers, security cameras, and pop-up turrets. There were also weaponized androids paired up with mechanical dogs. There were small air vents where a person who wasn't big could crawl through to reach the upper floors.

Eating in the mess hall at around lunch time will be someone who smells of cleaning detergent. It was a mix of people inside. Only soldiers wore combat suits, while scientists wore casual business clothes or biohazard suits. Engineers wore a blue uniform and looked dirtier than the rest.

In one of the offices where operators were coordinating soldiers out in the field or personnel in the mines, there was one man who looked like he was in charge, walking around and giving orders. Tailing him would reveal that he had a higher security access I.D. card and for a moment he would excuse himself from the table during lunch to go to the bathroom, which did not have security cameras.

(OOC: @Beowulf@CkSmalling, and everyone, if you like, pair up with a player character or pick an NPC buddy who has a skillset that can help you.)

PE-Travers_04.jpg

[SIZE= 18px]- Twin Building, Roof -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" Brittannia military base, Vulca, Lunch time "[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]M[/SIZE]eanwhile, Sora, Izaya, and those who went with them had scaled the building wall after three hours of slow stealthy climbing. It was good that it was raining and that shrouding mist floated around the building.

"Stop." panted Sora. There were lights on the building and a few security cameras outside that were pivoting. Their going was so slow because they had to time their movements so as not to get caught. The wall was slippery from the rain and they did not have any ropes to catch their fall as having a rope dangling would make them more obvious to passing patrols. A fall from this height would mean instant death.

Their movements were slow when they didn't have to pass through a glass wall, but when they did they had to climb quickly up in between moments when no one was looking outside. Once or twice Sora or Izaya lost their grip and fell a short distance before they were able to catch themselves or a comrade caught them. The fear of dying was thrillingly exhilarating.

"Go." said Sora and the small team made it pass the last security camera.

They were almost to the top where there were six soldiers and three sniper mechs on patrol.

"Seth, I think there's a hovercraft coming in for a landing." Izaya told Sora. Behind them, a hovercraft with a search light on to see through the rain was flying towards them. It was going to spot them hanging on the bare wall in seconds.

"Up, double time!" whispered Sora. There was no time to time their movements with the patrolling soldiers, they were going to have to try to take them down without the mechs noticing. "Take out the soldiers, no blood."

chopter_redux_by_numioh-d356dah.jpg

(OOC: If anyone is joining this part of the story, GM will decide outcome of the take downs)

Our fake identities:

Alerius = Danny

Assassin = Sally

Artemis = Anne

Connor = James

Grizzly = Jeffry

Hikaru = Karen

Izaya = Isen

Komodo = Carl

Panzer Dragon = Paul

Robert = Peter

Sandai = Sam

Shina = ??

Sora = Seth 

Vicktor = Kenneth

Vicktor had decided to go with Sora. After all, a little stealth never hurt anybody. While climbing up the wall he stayed behind a little. So that he could attempt to catch anyone who'd fall. He caught Sora atleast once and he cant count how many times he nearly slipped himself.

When Sora made the order he'd quickly crouchwalk over to the brittainia soldier and attempt to choke him out without alerting the mecha guards in the meanwhile.

@Zer0

Shina nodded. "Its not that I can feel the wind. But.......Inside the Shiryoku. I have extensions of my own senses, ones that cannot be replicated outside the mech. Its almost like having a thicker, heavier, metal skin over you. Well It kinda is. Anyway, that being said. I can almost 'feel' the wind like you say but its not how us humans feel. The mech is filled with nanotechnology much like our nanosuits except all these nanos send the information to my brain like my regular brain sends neurons so if winds is rushing at high speeds I can tell when its fast heavy wind versus slow perfect wind. I also can sense movements from mechs swings and attacks if its to subtle and quick of course i wont be able to spot it. Its really what makes me a great pilot.' Shina ate the soup as Artemis adressed the damage. It wasnt to great. not good at all in fact. Her fighting would be changed if she were to use it.

Those tall twin buildings in the distance, that's where intel says is the entrance to Thanatos lair." said Sora. "We'll wait until night time, then we're infiltrating the building."

Shina took note to the words of Sora. Great speaker. Honestly a great motivator. The mission was drawing closer

The fence really was a hostile envoiroment. Thankfully her false identity as well as the other soldiers were their best bet. They had to plan accordingly and plot every move carefully. Sora went over the different options as to how they were going to locate Thanatos location and more importantly. NOT GET CAUGHT. It as always seemed simple enough. Will it really result that way though? Of course not.

Shina opted to move out with Sora and Izaya. Afterall neither one would be able to provide the sniper support Shina would be able to. But scaling the steep wall and Shina losing her footing once almost dying along with the others made her begin to wish she reconsidered. Shina wasnt scared of heights. She was afraid of falling. very valid of course. Each move had to be carefully plotted as they were making their way to the roof and in order to do so they would have to avoid the boatloads of security cameras and soldiers on their respective floors. the rain made scaling the wall a nightmare. Finally just finally they were in route to the top. Shina felt the hair on the back of her neck stand up.....FUCK 'Whats that sound. Thats not thunder.' It was a bird. Coming in for a landing on the top. 

"Bioptics on. Make your move everyone." Shina activated her thermal bioptics. The way this worked was her eyes that were replaced with advanced computers were able to changing filters to adress body heat. The catch. She only had about 60 seconds of time with the optics battery before it flickered off to prevent overheating in her skull. The bodies up top illuminated to life even the ones in the birds. None of the others could see what they were up against but Shina was able to at this point. She searched the area. The bird. As well as enemy mechs. If no blood was allowed to be spilled that meant it would all have to be done hand to hand or with silent kills. Sodoring would be allowed in Shinas book if Izaya and Sora were thinking the same thing.

Within moments Shina reported the info and Marked the red dots on everyones HUDS. "THere you go Sora. This is gonna help with our element of surprise if we know where they are."

@Zer0 @LordPicklesworth

Alerius had tagged along with the group climbing the towers. He seemed pretty at home during all the chaos of the rain while climbing and trying not to be caught. This was just another day in the field for him at this point. As long as he didn't hit terminal velocity while falling his impact dampeners would take care of the fall entirely as long as he landed on his feet which was the trick. 

Hed had managed to make it this far without slipping and even Helped Shina regain her footing after she nearly fell. He was somewhere in the mettle of the group. The slow methodical pace of the climb was something he was used to. He was thankful for the mute Grey of his cloak now. His sword hung from his hip carefully positioned as so not to hit the wall. His shield folded to about the size of a dinner plate on his left forearm allowing him full mobility.

Once he heard The order to move quicker and take out the guards after spotting the incoming ship. He didn't draw his sword because of the no blood order but his shield was a perfectly viable bludgeoning weapon. He came over the Lip of the edge like a blur. Thankful for the targeting Shina had provided as it always made his job easier. His shield unfolded and covered easily from the top of his knees to his neck when held while standing. But it was still light enough to move around easily. 

He he was little more than a grey streak in the rain as he covered the distance in a flash aiming to slam the side edge of the shield into the back of the nearest guards neck. No blood meant he had to be careful. If he could use his sword he'd have been able to carve through at least two like cake. But he didn't have it out. The shield may have been light to his enhanced frame but it was still almost seven to Ten pounds. Which is way more than is nessecary to kill through a helmet with blunt force. A 3 pound mace is usually enough to do that.

@Zer0

"Panzer, you're with me." Connor said, whistling to get the man's attention for good measure. "Find a janitor and get on his good side. Get two I.D.s we can slap our mugs on and two janitor uniforms. Once you get me those, I'll tell you more." That and he'd have come up with more. The way he saw it, it would be easier to explain why two janitors smelled like crap then having two men covered in crap standing in a restricted area. He meanwhile had other things to do. Like get some protection should things go pear shaped.

So there he sat, around the corner of the armory and down the hall a way. He was looking for someone, someone with papers. From what he saw, if you had papers the guards didn't radio in to the higher ups to confirm things. If he got himself one of those papers, then he could walk right in and get what he wanted. After the necessary changes to said paper, of course. But first he had to get someone with a paper and then "persuade" them to hand it over.

[SIZE= 18px]- Twin Building, Roof -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" Brittannia military base, Vulca, Lunch time "[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]F[/SIZE]our out of six soldiers went down; Sora and Izaya were able to catch their targets without any sound and secretly drag the bodies off into the shadows in seconds, but the last two noticed Vicktor and Alerius.

The gun of the man Vicktor choked unconscious dropped and clattered noisily to the ground alerting one soldier fifteen feet away who jumped in surprise and raised his gun to fire; the man Alerius knocked down fell heavily with a loud thud causing the last soldier who was just walking out of the corner of a pillar about twenty five feet away to startle and peer out as if he wasn't sure what he was seeing.

"Hey, are you okay?!" yelled the last soldier, looking down at the unconscious body and began to jog forward.

Sora and Izaya quickly switched their weapons with that of the bodies then separated and circled around nonchalantly as if they were part of the people casually patrolling --- there were other soldiers and mechs on the other areas of the roof, but only those six and the three mechs were near enough to notice them. The squad's fake Brittannia gear were just like any other soldier's gear so it was easy to blend in as long as they held weapons and accessories similar to those on the roof which were: smg-sword, assault rifle-sword, and dagger-pistol chimaeras, no sniper rifle, no shield, and no cloak as far as they could see.

The two had seen the take downs about to go wrong. Between the death of two comrades or the failure of a mission where thousands of lives hung in the balance, they'd rather pick the death of two comrades. "If a firefight breaks out, whoever gets caught you run to the west side." said Sora quietly. "I'm going to shoot you. When that happens play dead."

@LordPicklesworth, @tammynorthland, @Abdel featherfall

In descending order:

• Alerius (1-7 success)
  • Izaya (1-8 success)
  • Sora (1-9 success)
  • Vicktor (1-8 success)

2.jpg

[SIZE= 18px]- Armory Area -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" Brittannia Military Base, Vulca,  Lunch Time"[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]A[/SIZE]s it was raining no one carried any papers in their hands as they made their way to the entrance of the armory. It was usually folded away in their suits or MOLLEs before they presented it to the guards outside. The guards would glance at the paper and then just give it back to the soldier.

There were quite a handful of people going in and out, some of them in small groups out to haul crates of ammunition or weapons together. Perhaps it's possible to go in as part of the group, if the group doesn't notice, or take a paper the guard has already seen and hope that they don't notice it's a paper they've seen before?

Then again people going to the armory had this purposeful look gazing at the building. Perhaps mugging one of those soldiers who looked at the armory like that could yield a paper.

After some time Panzer Dragon who had agreed earlier to Connor's plan radioed in, " I've got the I.D.'s and some extra clothes, no mugs though." he added jokingly.

@Beowulf

Alerius noticed the other guy and retracted his shield. He knelt down as if checking to make sure the guy he'd knocked out was okay. Looking up he used his best British accent, hanging around Liz all the time seemed to pay off somewhat. " Yeah he's fine. I may have gone a little overboard though. He started accusing me of sleeping with his girl or something and swung on me.. Can you help me carry him to an infirmary?"

Alerius was confident in his bullshitting ability as it has saved his ass more than a few times and hoped it wouldn't fail him now. He needed to get this guy to relax and let his guard down. " Crap I hope I don't get in too much trouble for this.." He said somewhat to himself while the other guy made his way over. Putting a show of genuine concern.

@Zer0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back