Advice/Help Could a Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor roleplay work?

PaperGhosts

I'm curious to see if anyone thinks this is a do-able roleplay to GM for a group. I'm really interested in something based off it, but I'm a little too busy to GM atm. I also have little experience writing horror, but I love ghost stories and those Netflix series. What do y'all think? 🤔

I think depending on the plotline or route you wanted to go it would be completely possible to do a RP similar to those. It would just need some collaboration in regards to the plot/characters

I think depending on the plotline or route you wanted to go it would be completely possible to do a RP similar to those. It would just need some collaboration in regards to the plot/characters

Yeah, I'm thinking it would have to be heavily plotted before hand, with set roles. Or it could be plotted after characters are made and the GM can plot separately with each role player to add to the mystery. But that may take too much time to keep everyone interested...

I think set roles that leave room for interpretation could work. If you wanted mystery then as long as you have a solid plot and have players who are fine following your lead it should work. As long as you pitch it all clearly/set expectations you shoukf be fine with getting people down for that kind of thing. I'd be up for it if you ever did it.

I've seen roleplay with individual mysteries (DMs with the GM relating to a secret involving each character,) which could work. Probably depends on the plot

I think set roles that leave room for interpretation could work. If you wanted mystery then as long as you have a solid plot and have players who are fine following your lead it should work. As long as you pitch it all clearly/set expectations you should be fine with getting people down for that kind of thing. I'd be up for it if you ever did it.

I've seen roleplay with individual mysteries (DMs with the GM relating to a secret involving each character,) which could work. Probably depends on the plot

Yes, I probably will try to develop something small. It would need some dedicated writers. I'm thinking scares/haunting incidences would have to be GMed as well. My problem is I've never tried to write horror scenes. I do like the idea of working individuals characters own twists into the story. You wouldn't happen to be interested in co-GMing something, right? 🧐

I was actually thinking about this when I finished watching Bly Manor, as a fan of both I was thinking. It will just involve some more collaboration between players and the GM, but I think it's doable just fine.

I was actually thinking about this when I finished watching Bly Manor, as a fan of both I was thinking. It will just involve some more collaboration between players and the GM, but I think it's doable just fine.

Me too! It had been a casual thought with Hill House, but Bly Manor affirmed for me that the idea can include more than jump scares. The players spin on it is where I'm going to have to work the most and will involve plotting separately with each player. I actually have a plot idea forming, but it will need a lot more development, I think.

Me too! It had been a casual thought with Hill House, but Bly Manor affirmed for me that the idea can include more than jump scares. The players spin on it is where I'm going to have to work the most and will involve plotting separately with each player. I actually have a plot idea forming, but it will need a lot more development, I think.

Yeah, an RP like the shows would be less about the jump scares and more about the existential dread, plot twists, interesting storytelling, like my example below, and so forth.

Like a character being dead all along

Yeah, an RP like the shows would be less about the jump scares and more about the existential dread, plot twists, interesting storytelling, like my example below, and so forth.

Like a character being dead all along

Yes, that's the kind of twists I love! I have a plot forming, or at least the lore of it, but I need to work out the reason for the characters to all be there and their connections to each other. Would an airbnb/bed and breakfast type of situation be too modern? I'm thinking of present day for setting, and possibly Charleston, SC, for the location.

Something to keep in mind is the reason for each location having such deep atmosphere and history is because they were based on classic horror/thriller/mystery novels. Of course, you couldn't directly pull from such material since it is an ongoing thread and all, but starting there might be a good idea for setting richness and such.

It's been a few days since anyone has been posting in this thread. With "The Haunting of..." series being an anthology, I think there's a lot of opportunities. I have actually been looking for people to do such a thing. I hope I'm not too late in coming here!

If you do ever do this or want someone to bounce ideas off I'd be down
I have a vague idea of something I could do as an addition on the anthology, I just need a person or people to collaborate with. I'll send you a message when I get off work, if that's alright with you.

Reach Reach SunnyA SunnyA I actually did decide to get one going! I posted it last night, if you both are interested. If you do end up choosing to GM another rendition, please tag me!
I'm new to this site (not new to writing at all) and I'm not yet familiar with how to tag people. I'm willing to have a look at your premise/plot, but how can I find it?

SunnyA SunnyA It's really easy! You just use the @ symbol followed by the username of the person you want to tag. Here's the link to the interest check, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back