Contribution, Rewards, and Patience

Zer0

Haiku Hitman

[SIZE= 18px]- Contribution, Rewards, and Patience -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]I[/SIZE]'ve been under good game masters with interesting story concepts, fun acting styles, and a constant posting habit you can rely on, yet the role play dies because players have stopped posting.

This advice is for players who want the reward of a good, fun time roleplaying under a game master who's shown that he/she can deliver, but aren't willing to contribute to move a story forward to make it happen. This isn't for players with a good reason to stop or not post.

The fun parts of a story don't come one after another. Most of the time the fun parts come after a build up which can be sad, boring, emotional, annoying, or something that just makes you feel lazy and say, "I'm not going to post." Now, there's nothing wrong with this, you are free. It's when you expect something to happen, but not contribute to move the story forward to get to the fun time that's the problem.

It's like sitting in front of a stove and saying, "Give me heat, then I'll put in the wood."/ "Give me the reward of a fun time GM and other players, then I'll contribute."

Most people concentrate on the reward or the hope of a reward where their characters shine with glory, get that guy/girl, legendary item, win that character rivalry, all rewards.

But the rewards aren't materializing because the people are forgetting to contribute. (Doesn't apply if you got bored waiting for the GM for days, I'm talking about a GM who can give you boom bam good times at a reliable pace and the GM is the one who is waiting for yours or someone else's post.)

The game master can't move to the next scene if the next scene requires acting and decision making from a player's part. Just like the stove, you can sit in front of it hoping it will give heat until you froze to death. Stoves don't work that way, neither does a story that's waiting on your character's decision.

Allow me to say once more: this doesn't apply if you have a good reason not to, this is if you don't have a good reason not to, yet still want something to happen.

Be patient and understanding in delays to the fun part of a story. Trust in the GM, if the GM has proven him/herself to you, and you'll see that it was worth sticking to it even if posting felt like waking up to Mondays, because you know that the GM can deliver.

I'm going to tell you something about game masters: we love what we make and we are the last to quit. I know this isn't true for all game masters, but you'll know an enthusiastic GM when you read one. When you find one who loves his or her roleplay and can tell they gave their heart to it, be reassured that the roleplay will not die, it will only die if the game master has nothing to react to.

It's like a game of catch, when one stops passing the ball for a long time the game ends.

Have patience. If you are under an enthusiastic GM who can deliver, you can be sure that you will get to the fun parts of the RP and have your rewards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back