[Come on, Baby, Light My Fire] The Metaworld

Esbilon

Seven Thousand Club
OOC! Talk about anything you like! If shipping levels get too high, it will get its own thread...

I'm generally open to custom boons, particularly if they are well motivated. I don't know Tsukumo-gami very well, though, so I'd like to hear from you what the selling point is before making a decision.

Esbilon said:
I'm generally open to custom boons, particularly if they are well motivated. I don't know Tsukumo-gami very well, though, so I'd like to hear from you what the selling point is before making a decision.
Sure thing boss, but firstly, the original purview, for comparison's sake.

Now the major thing with the original Tsukumo-gami is not that it was broken, it was okay...and well, that's it, just okay. When compared with other PSPs, it so lackluster it's not even funny, especially at God Level, and in some cases, it was a better Arete than Arete itself (Marksman / Melee Japanese scions are insane), so when Brent-not-Broken finished fixing Jotunblut, and did this, I had to take a look.

The first is that, the Alternate just works so much better than the original in all areas, whether it be fluff (like The Incarnate Spirit) or mechanics (Clashing Boons no more), and now actually stands out on its own, like Heku or Chevel. That's basically it really, this Tsukumo-gami just works better and fluff wise gives Players and STs a chance to play with the hierarchy of the kami in a Scion Game.

===========

Brent-not-Broken has also done an Alternate for Jotunblut for any Aesir interested, it focuses on playing with not only the Giant Heritage of all Aesir, but also gives Aesir scions a chance to properly emulate the legends and feats of their forebearers. It also gets rid of multiple instances of what is essentially the same Boon (Bestial / Human / Heroic Endowment...really?).

There's also an Alternate Arete I found a while back in case anyone wishes to use that, this one is essentially much more than a simple Dice Adder, it actually shows what excellence means for the Gods and their Children, best part, you only need to buy each dot once.

I'm not really sure what to think of these alternatives. The Tsukumo-gami boons seem of a similiar powerlevel, but except for the dice-adder, not significantly more or less powerful. Does anyone else have an opinion, the other Amatsukami perhaps, @Mei.

EDIT: Oh, forgot the others. I like Jotunblut being able to do other stuff than make minions progressively stronger, and treating men and beast more equally, but I'm not actually wild about the alternate powers, except for Thor, they don't seem very appropriate for the Aesir.

I don't like the alternate Arete, specialization is what is is all about, it is meant to be expensive if you want to have it in more than one thing.

First of all, yaaay shipping! Who wants to be shipped with the greatest Scion of Izanagi?

Second of all, I will have to read both normal Tsukumo-gami and the alternate now.

New character generation rule: Instead of using the favored Epics and Purviews of your Divine Parent, you pick 2 epics and 2 all-purpose purviews of theirs, and 1 epic and 1 purview freely. If your parent has less than 2 epics or purviews, you get to pick freely until you're at 3 of each, but I may countermand such choices if they go wildly against the spirit of your parent. Such as a Scion of Aphrodite with Darkness, Death and War, one of those would be fine, but not all.

Ooooh, nice. Going to favor me some Stars!

MakotoOkamura_zps82ac4981.jpg

Also, pics. I have a Relic Toku mask.

Just a note- I'm not decided, a hundred percent- I'm going to shortly post a Backstory for a Character who is a mix of the earlier Rocker and Paladin Concepts. Scion of ... Either Baldur, or Zeus. Probably Zeus.

Esbilon said:
New character generation rule: Instead of using the favored Epics and Purviews of your Divine Parent, you pick 2 epics and 2 all-purpose purviews of theirs, and 1 epic and 1 purview freely. If your parent has less than 2 epics or purviews, you get to pick freely until you're at 3 of each, but I may countermand such choices if they go wildly against the spirit of your parent. Such as a Scion of Aphrodite with Darkness, Death and War, one of those would be fine, but not all.
Regarding Pantheon purviews (e.g., Arete, which is a shitty/boring purview), do we have to take it, or can we only take a specific pantheon purview if we're a scion of that pantheon?

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="Paeniteo Azrael]Regarding Pantheon purviews (e.g., Arete, which is a shitty purview), do we have to take it, or can we only take a specific pantheon purview if we're a scion of that pantheon?

[/QUOTE]
Arete is awesome and pantheon purviews are automatic and restricted, the 3 otehrs are in addition to your pantheon purview.

Epic Attribute and Pantheon Purview are the same xp cost.

For 16xp I could add four whole dice to a single ability or two rerolls (Arete), or I could add four successes and buy three different boons to an entire attribute. Sure, there are more limits to what you can buy with Epic Attributes, but Arete is really boring and not particularly mechanically useful.

EDIT: I totally agree that Arete should only cover one ability, but it is pretty far and away from being mechanically worth its xp costs.

And so, from what I understand, we have 3 Epic Attributes favored, 3 Purviews, and 1 Pantheon Purview for a total of 7 powers?

[QUOTE="Paeniteo Azrael]Epic Attribute and Pantheon Purview are the same xp cost.
For 16xp I could add four whole dice to a single ability or two rerolls (Arete), or I could add four successes and buy three different boons to an entire attribute. Sure, there are more limits to what you can buy with Epic Attributes, but Arete is really boring and not particularly mechanically useful.

EDIT: I totally agree that Arete should only cover one ability, but it is pretty far and away from being mechanically worth its xp costs.

And so, from what I understand, we have 3 Epic Attributes favored, 3 Purviews, and 1 Pantheon Purview for a total of 7 powers?

[/QUOTE]
Except that Arete and Epics stack. Arete is extremely powerful because of that.

Mei said:
Except that Arete and Epics stack. Arete is extremely powerful because of that.
It provides a minor boost in very specific circumstances, versus a significant boost in a bunch of areas and a knack. Sure, it's not the worst, but it's not as great as you think it is. Sure, it stacks, but eh - you get 2 successes for every five dice it adds. After spending 15xp you get a grand total of.... slightly less than two successes in very specific areas. Sure, you can add it onto Epic whatever, but unless you are just rolling in xp that literally cannot be spent elsewhere, Arete is not that great.

It's not the worst purview, it just isn't that spectacular. More importantly, it's not very interesting, though I guess it is flavorful.

I disagree. BUT! It isn't really that important at all. EDIT: Mostly because Scion 2.0 might actually come out soon .

[QUOTE="Paeniteo Azrael]I disagree. BUT! It isn't really that important at all. EDIT: Mostly because Scion 2.0 might actually come out soon .

[/QUOTE]
Low level Arete does indeed not give you very much bang for your buck, but 1) higher levels are very potent, 2) being the best in someting is fun and 3) for things like Craft it says "you are matically good at this," and allows you to do things mortals could not, such as actually build Relics.

SephirothSage said:
And- I've posted two Char Backgrounds- which Char is prefered by the DM?
I'm not sure, I kinda like your paladin, but every NPC who does not hate him will try getting him to let go of that self-loathing, so if you're attached to that as a present thing, I don't think he's going to work with me as the ST.

To be honest? I'm not at all attached to it, no- it's a character trait that helped define who he grew into- once I start playing a Character in a game, I expect and encourage them to change if it makes sense.

I have zero issues with people trying to get him to get over how much he doesn't meet his own moral standards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back