I'm going where the cold wind blows

In the pines, in the pines

Where the sun don't ever shine

Calling: Dark Singer

Nature: Visionary

Pantheon: Æsir

Divine Parent: Odin

Favored Epic Attributes: Stamina, Charisma, Perception

Favored Abilities: Art, Fortitude, Integrity, Investigation, Occult, Presence

Favored Purviews: Animal (Raven), Jotunblut, Magic, Mystery

Ashley’s hometown has a dubious distinction -- it was the site of the county’s last (legal) hanging, over a hundred years ago. The live oak where the deed was done still grows green in the heart of town. Ashley grew up practically in its shadow.

Maybe that’s why she was always a little different.

Oh, she was never violent or cruel -- she was a polite and well-behaved child, mostly. But she claimed the branches of the Hanging Oak whispered to her, and she heard hidden messages in the cawing of the crows. Diagnosed with schizophrenia, the pills dulled the whispers, at the price of leaving her listless and unable to dream.

One evening, as she was hurrying to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription before it closed, she found a small string-tied parcel on her doorstep. Attached was a note that read, “Have a feeling you may need this soon. -- W.” The knots were too tight for her to untie, so she carried it with her to the drugstore.

As she was standing in line, all Hell broke loose. A car crashed through the front of the building, sending wood, bricks and glass everywhere. One shard struck Ashley in the face.

She lay on the floor, bleeding out. Somewhere, a child was shrieking -- an endless shrill note that went on and on. The package she had carried had burst apart, and the contents spilled out in front of her. A glass eye.

And suddenly, there were words in her mind. Words of power. Words of vengeance. And symbols to make the words come alive. She traced them in her own blood on the pharmacy floor, drawing them again and again until she blacked out.

The EMT told her afterwards she was lucky only to have lost an eye. He also told her the driver of the car had been a local drunk -- two arrests hadn’t stopped him -- and that he managed to pull the car loose from the wreckage of the building and zoom off only to lose control of the wheel and crash into the Hanging Oak. The ancient tree survived. He didn’t. The medtech and Ashley had a good laugh together over the irony.

After that, Ashley threw away her pills. She knew she didn’t need them anymore. The glass eye, however, fitted her perfectly. When the Gallows God’s messenger appeared, she was hardly even surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I'm imposing a chargen limit of Legend 2. Secondly, you may want to avoid putting 8's in ()'s as it leads to this 8). And no one actually knows what old Norse sounded like, except the Æsir and their hangarounds, so you couldn't learn that prior to your Visitation. Icelandic is presudemed to be rather close though.

Oops, for some reason I read that as "starting" rather than "limited". I'll fix it. :oops:

So we're starting immediately after our Visitation? That will require me to scale down my Abilities as well -- Ashley didn't do very much prior to that, due to a bad case of being pwned by Fate.

We're starting with your Visitation. Minor magical stuff may happen before, but everything you know of the magical world, you learn from me. Feel free to make suggestions about how you'd like your Visitation to be :)

All right, fixed. Should I assign her Birthrights now, or should I wait till after her Visitation?

Assign them now, I'll make sure to give you those that fit during your Visitation, and any others you can acquire by Handwavium between the Visitation and the first session. Assuming the scheduling issues get fixed...

IC Fiction: "Someone To Talk To"

You asked about the things I see sometimes that other people don't -- the ones I'm still not sure about...?

My aunt and grandmother say that when I was learning to talk I talked to people they couldn't see or hear, sometimes in English or German and sometimes using words or names they didn't recognize. My mother won't talk about it to me. I can't remember doing that, but I do remember I couldn't understand why people said that a room was empty, or that there was nobody in the garden, because there were always people everywhere. Mostly they stayed quiet, or were going about their business, or just passing through. I had already learned that nobody else talked to them and that they sometimes didn't answer when I talked to them; but it had never occurred to me that other people didn't see them at all.

It was mostly in summer, in the heat of the afternoon, that I would see the people passing through, coming upriver. They're hard to describe, and I've got no idea who they were. They were rather short and walked quietly, alone, or three or four one after the other; their limbs were smooth and their faces round, often with some markings drawn on the lips or chin; their eyes were narrow, and sometimes looked swollen and sore, as if from smoke or tears. They went quietly through the town, not looking at it and never speaking, going upriver. The way they went, so silently, hurt my heart. They were far away from me, walking in sadness.

I had a big argument with my cousin Blake once when she said there was nobody in the garage, and I had seen a whole group of people there, passing things from hand to hand and laughing silently, as if they were playing some game. Blake, who was older than I, said I was lying, and I began to scream and tried to knock her down. I can feel that same anger now. I was only telling what I had seen, and I couldn't believe she hadn't seen the people in the garage; I thought she was lying so she could call me a liar. That anger, that shame, stayed a long time and made me refuse to look at the people that other people didn't see or wouldn't talk about. When I saw them, I looked away until they were gone. They'd been good company for me; but now I felt I couldn't trust them anymore, since they'd got me in trouble. Of course I had it all completely backwards, but there was nobody to help me get it straight.

When I turned away from all those people that I had used to see, they went on and didn't come back. Only a few were left, and I was lonely.

Blake had a group of friends, girls who talked and gambled and smoked a lot of pot. I hung around with them every night, but there were no real people in the world I saw at that time. All rooms were empty. Nobody was in the garden or out on the street. Nobody walked upriver grieving.

When I was almost fourteen, I stole a bottle of Nightrain and got drunk for the first time. I went around town shouting and talking to people nobody else saw: at least, so I was told next day, but I couldn't remember anything. I thought maybe if I got drunk again, but a little less drunk this time, I would see the kind of people I used to see, when the streets and yards were full of them and they kept me from feeling so alone. So I stole more wine from our neighbors, and I went down to the willows by the river to drink it.

I drank the first bottle and made some songs, then I spilled most of the second bottle and went home and felt sick for a couple of days. I stole wine again, and this time I drank two bottles quickly. I didn't make any more songs. I felt dizzy and sick, and fell asleep. Next morning I woke up there on the cold stones by the river, very weak and cold. My family was worried about me after that, and took me to a psychiatrist. I guess I talked too much and too freely to him, because you know the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back