• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Coldwater - A Western (CLOSED)

Owl Knight

Don't let it ruffle your feathers, my liege.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
-------------------------------------
COLDWATER
A Western Adventure
--------------------------------------
The sun was crawling low above the pine swept slopes of the mountain range that ran along the west bank of the silversnake river, bathing the craggy slopes in amber light and long shadow. Somewhere in the distance a lone wolf howled its plaintive cry, welcoming the cool night as it made its approach. The smell of wild sage and cool water filled the air as a lone horse and rider made their way slowly along the wide dirt road that worked its way north through the gap towards the distant lights of a town.

At a fork in the road the rider stopped. A rough cut pine signpost pointed in two directions. The fork leading to the west read only "state lines" while the hand lettered sign pointing towards the lights of town read "Coldwater Mining Camp". The rider's eyes narrowed as he spurred the horse forward. The chestnut mare chopped eagerly at the bit, nostrils flaring at the smell of smoke rising from the distant chimneys. Even a mile out, the odor of human life was unmistakable. Horse and rider felt their stomachs gurgle and their muscles ache at the thought of a hot meal, fresh hay, a warm bath and a rub down.

Clyde Devins and his ride had been on the trail for a week since leaving Fort Kearny, across the state line. Long days riding and long nights sleeping on hard packed earth had stiffened his back and he would pay a king's ransom for even a straw tick between his body and the ground for an evening.

A noise in the brush to his left caught his ear and, by instinct his hand strayed to the colt peacemaker at his hip. Coldwater and the surrounding mountains existed outside of any formal American law and it would be of no surprise if unscrupulous men were lying in wait along the roadside. A bush rusted and a desert fox emerged, a small brown bird caught in its jaws. Rider and fox eyed each other with a wary kind of respect, two lone figures passing in the wilds outside of any human civilization. Clyde tapped the brim of his hat as he rode past. The fox blinked in response before trotting off into the hills, with it's catch dangling from its mouth.

The hills went from amber to purple as the sun sank lower and the lights of Coldwater glowed ever brighter as the lone horse and rider continued on their way into town.

Meanwhile, Inside one of the secluded buildings that was shaped ironically like an barrel was no other than 'Harleen's Harlem' 'blessed' with the perfect & clean town of Coldwater Mining Camp. Loud shouts of non-sober fools and the slamming keys of the piano music/accordion music was played out unto the dusty streets that already seemed a bit over crowded. Latterns were lit beautifully upon the decorated green ceiling having framed pictures of known celebrities and singers (mostly with her Pa in a few of them) on the side of the walls, tables and chairs were placed here and there by the messiness of the men.

But Judy, claiming her usual seat at one of empty poker tables right on top, she narrowed her eyes in absolute disgust. Wondering where did this all went down to how it is today, usually back in her youngin' days, everything was quiet, simple and hushed. But not that was just wasteful wishin' A wave of laughter interrupted her thoughts as her piercing blue eyes widen just to see Missy break away from a couple of men as she cried out "Miss Harleen! Miss Harleen..!" And like a child to it's mother, she dared wrapped her small arms around my shoulders and clutched to me, shaking in darn plum fear.

"Ah come on Judy you'kno we just' playin'" chuckled one of boys in the group of bastards. All I had really had to do honestly, was just stare at the boy and hold a ladylike smile, all fake-like "Yes, Yes Joe. I'm sure you are 'just playin' like all boys do..right? Missy, go to your room.". Missy didn't dare question any of it, and immediately rushed up the stairs. I could feel the other gals growing their dainty smiles into smirks as my leather boots click up to him, ghosting my hand up to his chest. Sure, He was handsome if you squint, but each man is always a darn idiot in my book.

"Well Joe baby boy..let me show you who ain't playin'" His lulled eyes widen as I gripped both of my hands by his rugged collar up from the chair, pushing him instead with his drunken state onto the floor. Allowing the men around to collect laughter before I kicked at his leg with a grunt "Now, get on out of here boy before I have to show you what it means to play with a real gal." I could tell the boy wanted to say something back by the flash of anger sure did tell me. But..

He was certainly outnumbered, I paid to be protected and He wouldn't dare lay a single hair on me. His face paled in realization as he stood up, so did a few others around him. Ready to kill if it means he'll even try to go for a backhand, like a buffoon. But i guess his brain wasn't all rocks as he spat to me "You gonna' pay for tis' Judy." And took off with his tail between his legs past the double gated door.

The girls of course went into a rage of laughter, followed by the other idiots within' the crowd, but my focus was back on Missy. "Girls. Behave." I sternly huffed, placing my hands on my hips as they looked at each other across the room and nodded but their sneaking eyes said otherwise. "It'll be 2 minutes, and I swear to the sweet lord himself if I find any commotion you are ought for a roughin' girls." It always felt like she was caring for kiddins'. With that out the way I went to Missy's Little room, decorated by pretty white ribbons and other trinkets a girl would usually ask for. Missy was just getting re-applying her dark red lipstick along the small vintage mirror, before dropping her head, with the door closed behind me, I had to shook my head as well.

"I'm sorry Miss Harleen..." She stated before I falter a bit. "Missy, You will have to learn you can't come to be always when one of them empty box heads want to be handsy on you, be assertive right on back. Not unless they've paid." I darn well known she seen me as a mother figure, but she has to learn..like I did, that mommy is not going to be there to save her when the times right. And as a woman, you can take a fucking showdown. My lecture was going to continue, until a certain shadow from the distance caught my eye.

"Missy, you're off duty for the night you hear..." I mumbled, widening the daisy pattern curtain from in front of my view get the look of this man much clearer. My Pa always spoke of when you see this person, that you know something's up as a Harleen. Well my radar's was going completely off as this stranger started to appear right next to the street of the Hotel. I couldn't help but to stand there, staring at him until he went inside "This is about to be a long night." I sighed, moving the stray curl from my redden face.

Clyde rode up the main street of the ramshackle town, past livery, general store, blacksmith, and apothecary. Furtive faces watched from windows, illuminated by oil lamps like pale ghosts behind the cloudy glass. From the boardwalk, rough looking men with haggard faces, marked with weather, dirt, and care, eyed him warily. Clyde could feel the tinge of smoldering anger and desperation seething behind their bleak stares.

There was a peculiar atmosphere in the town. These frontier mining camps could be forbidding, but there was something else here; a quiet feeling of death and decay.

At the corner of a broad square, his eye fell on a peculiar barrel-shaped building with a wide balcony. The warm glow of a fire and the clashing tinkle of a saloon piano drifted into the street.

"Harleen's Harlem," he mused, reading the handcut sign that hung above the swinging saloon door. Dismounting near the front door, Clyde roped his mare to the hitching post where she availed herself of a drink from the trough of still water.

Clyde mounted the saloon steps and strode slowly through the doors. A collection of rough men, prospectors and the like, sat at the scattered tables as a bald man with gartered sleeves plunked away at a piano. From the upper landing, a collection of scantily clad young women with rouged cheeks eyed the men below with designs on their coin purses.

A few wary eyes followed Clyde and his peacemaker as he ambled up to the bar and threw down a heavy silver dollar.

"Whiskey," he said, his voice rough with a weeks dusty travel. "And a bath if it's available."

"Ohoho..Mister, you have to ask Miss'n Harleen, I ain't taken your coin just yet." Chuckled the bartender in amusement, aside the solemn mood the rough looking men held between their drinks and continue to eye down Clyde. And with that, He crossed his arms, giving a nod Judy herself appearing from the top of the steps. Her eyes narrowed, slowly climbing down step by step, as like kids the men snickered like boys as she went up to this rugged stranger.

Yep, He looks dustier than any other rotten man in this town, but his tired glance seemed...a bit soft. Judy tutted, leaning her hip to the side along her arm. "What's your business for aside using my fresh hot water." She could feel the headache rising if one of the boys started to get a little trigger happy, so with a shooed off wave, the ladies that were from the landing start to break out in one of the ole song. Lifting the pressure cooker off the new kid in town on the brink just for a bit.

She continued to eye this fella on, seeing if she can really tell if it's already distaste at first sight, or was it another poor victim getting end up by the clutches of those bandits who call themselves saviors of the town. Judy stiffen for a bit, before giving a snap to the bartender "Didn't he ask you for a whiskey Henry? Quit standin' there and do your job."She huffed, rolling her eyes. But the Harleen decided to sit next to the partner, kind of hoping the second guess was true. It was just something she can't put her finger on with this fool coming into town.

"A mite hard on business, you needing to approve every new customer," Clyde mused as the bartender tipped a thimble of whiskey into a glass and slid it across the bar. "I take it this is your place." He glanced around at the paintings on the walls, the men drinking merily, the girls tittering at the antics of the bar-goers. Even in this relatively jovial atmosphere he could tell there was something just a bit off. Every hand was a bit too close to a sidearm. Even the bartender's hand rested beneath the bar where Clyde was sure a loaded scattergun was stowed for quick access.

He downed the whiskey with a quick swallow, savoring the burn as the smokey alcohol hit his tongue and throat. "I don't suppose you know where a traveler can bed down around this camp?"

"There's a hotel, Named Shiny Null right across from my Saloon, dust boy." She scoffed, but cautiously, she leaned forward to whisper in his ear "Watch your weapon and the door if you planned on sleeping there." She then leaned back unto the chair, holding a shot glass of Mary between her fingers that the bartender slid to her without even saying so. Judy raised her brows giving a wink "I'm sure I have a bed free for you to rest here, cowboy. But wait until these low-lives stumble outta here."

Usually it takes months for any man to even ask on barrowing one of the dozen bedrooms that lay at the brothel, but she didn't want any of that funny business going outside to right in here. Plus, She don't trust a man resting with a group of giddy and money-hungry women in the same roof. "So you pick your poison, it's just my girls get a bit handsy when I ask them--" Her eyes widen when a faint hollering of those bastards started rush by the wind towards the sound. "..You..! Go upstairs and get to the left door you first see now." The Harleen girl hissed in a hushed tone, ushering him off in a shooing matter. Knowing well that if that jackass finds new meat, he'll take him in and make him as another.

The saloon owner rushed Clyde up the stairs and into a room. Confused, but compliant, he followed her instructions, curious about what was about to step through the door. The room was small, with a vanity, a chest of drawers, and an iron frame bed, made up with frilly but faded sheets. Outside the door he could hear some of the girls whispering and murmuring.

He moved to the door and peered through to a position where he could see what was about to walk in the front door.

"Well, Well...If it isn't Handsome Jack." Judy cooed, pacing her way up to the first rugged man that step passed the double doors. As on cue the happy tone of the lively music went hushed and the fools within the bar stayed quiet, almost frozen still. But, Harleen strained to bare a well smile as her eyes glanced over to the rest of the rats called men flooded in one by one. Her voice tighten when one the men she hated most, had the nerve to even step in around by the Saloon's presence.

"Barney." Judy couldn't have the guts to even look at this piece of dirt, crossing her arms patiently before looking up to the girls, and gave a nod. She made protocol that whenever this son of bitch wants to even be around the girls after the last 'incident' with one of the ex-workers.(That poor sweet girl was so badly roughed up, she couldn't ever be recognized until the day she lays down). And with that in mind they will be relieved from their jobs until He goes. And thankfully neither one of the ladies took time to argue as they all went into the room the main spacious dressing room on the right.

"Jack, Darlin' I thought we've talked about this.." Harleen sighed, stress already forming this slight headache. Blowing a huff walking back to one of the poker tables, to sat quietly to wonder what his appearance is about this time. Sudden taxation? Demand for more free alcohol? His greed of demands always seemed endless, and annoying. Smoothing the stray curls away from her forehead, and blinked up to Jack and each 'Member' behind him.

Jack smiled broadly, his fearsome eyes glistening as he glanced around the bar. From where Clyde hid in the boudoir, he could make out little of the man besides his wicked looking grin.

"Harleen, my little dove," he beamed. "My boys just needed to wet their whistles, can't begrudge them that, can you?" Pete Denver rounded the bar, picking himself a choice bottle of whiskey and pouring it out for the cadre of men who had followed Jack into the bar.

"Besides," Jack continued, "We have a family matter to discuss." He stood before the madame, towering over her smelling of tobacco, sweat and gun oil. "You see, my man Barney, erm, Mr. Stinson, to you ladies, is distressed. It seems one of your girls has been keeping him away from his blood and kin." He pointed a thick finger to the upper landing where Harleen's whores stood watching the events unfolding below. "You've been hiding young pretty Missy up there," he said darkly. "Her belly is looking a mite swollen. Might even say she's with child under all them frilly skirts."

Jack called Barney Stinson forward. "Barney. What were you just telling me? You want to take that whore back to the Silver Union hotel and make an honest woman out of her? Seeing as she's bearing your seed." Clyde could see the girl Jack was talking about from where he hid peeking into the saloon. It was true, her belly was growing full with a child although she tried to hide it.

Jack laughed. "That girl is coming with us, Harleen. My man has a right to his blood and seed."

(( No I love it.
Judy widen awake from her daze, lips tightening as she caught the gaze of Missy. Watching the poor girl form tears upon her eyes upon the stairs as her brightly red lushes lips formed into a wobble. Knowing darn well she's just about afraid like a calf with a coyote. Harleen glanced away, not daring to give eye contact to the brute and took a choked breath from smelling his ordor. Missy quickly turned back and into the room where the other girls stood in pace like protecting hens to a chick.

"...There's your answer, Jack honey. Aside from..Mr.Stilion, Missy has also been with other men asides himself of your partner during the conceding, and believe there could be a possibly be other potential fathers on the sly." Judy had to find a way to let Missy stay here, she just couldn't imagine the poor shaken girl in his merciless paws. Sliding her welcome from the pool table off, and away to at least to try on keeping some distance between Jack. Knowing full well that he doesn't like to take compromises and get his way no matter one. And yes, she purposely mislay his name just to piss off Barney even more.

"And you know she's more family to me, thicker than the blood itself that what Mr.Stallion claimed. Don't think I'm stupid, Handsome." She sighed tiredly, staring off to the pictures along the wall. Harleen held her breath quietly to hear the response in turn. The last thing she wants is to show fear or any uncomfortably that this brute feeds off of, as she took out her long, Chinese fan and started to place it over her chest in thought.

Jack smirked and shrugged.

"I gave you a chance, Harleen," he said. Turning to Barney who stood close at his shoulder he nodded towards the stairs which led to the landing. "Go get her," he ordered. This was a power play. A display of the fact that he owned Coldwater and every man woman and child (born or unborn) that lived there.

The bargoers watched as Barney Stinson, his half bald head gleaming in the lamplight, mounted the stairs to the landing where Missy had retreated. His gnarled fingers rested uneasily on the Elkhorn handle of the bowie knife sheathed at his belt.

The girls who had guarded Missy's retreat from the bar floor begrudgingly parted as Stinson moved through, eying the knife and knowing the hurt it could do.

Clyde stepped back from the door as Missy slipped inside, her swollen belly wobbling ahead of her beneath a worn petticoat. She gasped as she nearly collided with the gunman, but he pressed a weathered hand over her plump lips before she could cry out. She was younger than he had realized, no more than eighteen, barely a woman. Pressing a finger to his lips, Clyde nodded towards the iron framed bed. Missy took his meaning, moving to the far side from the door, beside the bed.

Barney approached the door as Clyde positioned himself beside it.

"C'mere, Missy," the cutthroat growled. "You're coming with me if I've got to drag you-"

He was cut off as he came through the door. Clyde's fist caught the man square in the bristling chin. He staggered back through the doors as the girls scattered out of his way.

With a scrape of gunmetal on leather, Clyde's peacemaker was in his hand. Barney staggered on the landing, fumbling for his knife. He was too slow. Clyde's boot connected squarely with his chest, flinging him back through the railing with a crack. Barney Stinson dropped like a stone from the balcony, landing with a crash on one of the bar tables, demolishing it in the process.

Jack's men scrambled for their guns, but before they could blink a shot rang out and a bullet pounded into the boards at Jack's feet.

"Tell your boys to keep their hands away from their guns or the next one takes your head off," Clyde barked.

Harleen just closed her eyes, knowing well that whatever else happens is out of her hands. She knew this is where little Missy won't ever be seen again, tears welled past down unlike to her dismay. But that poor girl was practically her everything to this rotten town.

It wasn't until a sharp 'crack' of the railway followed soon after by the unconscious body of Barney that made Judy's heart drop to her stomach when her watery gaze caught that same man who she asked to stay in the room. Pressing her tongue against her cheek when one of her favorite tables were sacrificed in the making. When the guns were drawn, the atmosphere might as well make it snow from the coldness Jack and this stranger held for a while. But Judy being her usual firecracker, Harleen sighed.

"Jack, You gotta listen to this man now. I know you ache for this kind of bluffin' game but-- I won't be cleaning bodies off my expensive wood floors and I paid you exactly to keep this commotion outside this house, I can't afford to get my ladies hurt either." She softly answered to at least break the silence and hopefully put some common sense with this crazed man. Judy couldn't help but to admire how this stranger stepped in, but to what cost. Just as long as her girls were just fine and no bullets get exchanged in such a small bar..

Jack looked from Judy to Clyde and back to Judy. All around him, the members of his gang let their hands hover near their firearms looking for a word from their boss to open fire on the dusty cowboy. Jack's brow furrowed, his eyes glistened, until at last his lips split in a mirthless grin.

"Ha ha ha, Harleen's got herself a watchdog, boys!" Jack's men joined warily in his laughter. Jack threw his hands in the air in mock surrender. Clyde's gun remained firmly trained on the low life's forehead. He said nothing.

"Fair enough," Jack laughed. "I can see we have ourselves a tense situation here. I shan't be the cause of any more distress. Boy's, we're rolling out." Jack's men slowly began to amble towards the door, he turned slowly to follow them, but stopped, turning back to face Judy. "Oh, just one more thing Harleen..." Before anyone could blink, Jack's hand flew up and swung down, striking Harleen viciously across the face. The noise resounded through the saloon.

Jack's once jovial face was a mask of rage.

"You've made a choice today, Harleen. Remember that." His eyes flashed defiantly up at Clyde. Clyde stared back, but did not fire. Jack had called his bluff and they both knew it.

"Roll out!" Jack roared. He and his men strode out of the bar and into the unsettled night.

Judy could only stand there, face held high even after she felt the hot pain relishing across her now red cheek, standing there for a moment with a blank defeated look as the rest of men quietly filed on out, placing the drinks down, an occasionally glaring up to Jack out murmuring in words only she can hear 'She's a dead bitch' to other vivid things that Jack and his crew are known what to do to people who don't 'comply'.

"You girls are relieved for the night until further notice..I can't afford any of you from gettin' injured now." Harleen's voice cracked raising her palm against her now slightly bruised cheek before walking over to the bartender giving off a chuckle "That means you too Fred, I know your wife Shirley wants you to come home in a well shape." Judy tried her best to stay composed but those fresh tears running down her cheeks when Fred refused to leave behind the counters, what an honorable man, stubborn too.

"T'is the same for us sisters, Judy." Hana smiled, wrapping their arms link by link as they usually do. The other harlots solemn to also not take their leave apparently. But Missy quickly rushed down the steps and wailed out her 'sorry's' for having it all go down by her account. But Harleen shushed into her breast, giving out a sigh "It was gonna happen sooner or later that, bastard while if I Pa was still alive...." Anger flashed in her eyes before it soften to look up to the cowboy still upon the stairs.

"Thank you, for saving her but what is your name, Dust Boy." She blinked, still holding on to Missy who was still weeping while the other folks stood and looked at him in awaiting for the answer.

Clyde holstered the peacemaker, feeling his heart pounding in his ears. He had taken his fair share of lives since the first time he picked up a gun, but it never failed to get him worked up.

The girls who had been clustered around the room where he had hidden had since floated down stairs in a swirl of skirts to see to their madame, leaving Clyde by himself at the top of the staircase. He leaned over the railing, watching as the whores clustered around Harleen beside the smashed table where Barney Stinson had found a landing place.

"Devins...Clyde Devins." He replied.

"I think you deserve that bath, Mr.Devins." Judy winked, glancing to the bartender as he went around the back for the large bucket and other materials needed.

"I call on scrubbing his back!" Cheered one of the triplets Halo, eyes glistening in determination as she booked it up the stairs. Immediately followed by the other triplet harlots aside Missy and Muriel who looked at Harleen. "Those triplets are his issue ladies, He did cause damage to my railway an favorite table." Judy tutted with a shrug, going around to collect the many empty glass tables around the other tables.

Missy reached over hesitantly towards the front window, and flipped the 'open' sign unto it's back while Muriel finished picking up most of the glasses. Then went to look out the window, watching more men just file off from her porch. Muriel just huffed "Why are you acting all mopey for! Didn't you say you wanted that son of a bastard? He's out of our hair for now Judy." Harleen couldn't help but to laugh and agreed, pulling down one of the shotguns hid behind a few whiskey battles. "Yes Muriel, But not dead." Judy checked for it's load pushing it open to check for any blanks, with her eyes narrowed.

Two of Judy's triplets had already begun to fill a copper tub with steaming water by the time Hailee brought Clyde up to one of the saloon's rooms.

"You need a decent scrub, mister," she laughed, as she brought him along the landing towards the room. "It'll be nice to have one man around here that don't smell like horse and mud." Clyde followed silently, bashfully. It had been a long time since he found himself doted on by any kind of woman and he found himself keenly aware of the stink of two weeks on the trail wafting off of his clothes.

Harley and Halo were each pouring a pitcher of hot water into the tub as Hailee pushed through the door. "Here he is, ladies," she grinned. The girls stowed their pitchers and rolled up their sleeves. Clyde stood in the threshold, his eyes roving uncertainly from the girls to the tub and back.

"If it's all the same, ladies. I reckon I'd prefer to do my own scrubbing."

"I don't know cowboy, you're sort of outnumbered three to one~" Chuckled Halo, but respecting how awkward Clyde was, and not feeling up to fight with her already stressed out mistress. "Come on ladies, let's give Mr.Delvins time alone girls." But what she couldn't help but to instead, sneakily walked by the rack to hang the clothes and took Clyde's dusty clothing before smiling off "Enjoy your rest." Halo and the other two triplets giggled in their own evil demanor.

"Ladies, did you give'em a hard time?" Harleen raised a bow in questions as the three just continued to giggle along, fluttering their skirts to the bottom steps "Oh Miss Harleen, he's going to have alot on his poor little hands." Spoke Halo which to the Mistress she knows it wasn't good one bit if Halo's having a bubbly barrel of laughs. But she also knows Clyde in his own way deserves to be messed just a little. Her smirk carried over as she tilted her head.

"-- IS THAT HIS CLOTHES!" Muriel gasped, clasping her large plump head over her chest. Then glared at Harleen, with each hand on her hips in expectations for her to ask them to put it back. But with the humor Judy has for poor ole' Clyde, she ignored Muriel's glare and calmly sighed "Do you want to help finishing closing the saloon, or are you going to help Clyde with his itchin' back." and like that Muriel blissfully went into the kitchen in her own fussy frenzy, before the girls all busted out in laughter again. Missy finally took her seat after trying and, failing to push over the chairs to one side, for proper stacking. But felt winded with the baby kicking at her ribs.

Harleen quickly rushes to the girl's aid, concern past the mistress's gaze when, and Missy gladly took her cautious to lay on Judy's shoulder. "I-I'm scared...". Judy just chuckled and patted Missy's head gently by her forearm "Honey, there's much more scary things to face in life than this, marriage is the worst." And a small smile was the reaction Judy was hoping for. Meanwhile the girls were a little away apart from the two, but the argument was who get's to wash his clothing.

The hot water steamed and flowed over Clyde's sore muscles, easing the ache of the trail and washing off the dirt of too many nights sleeping on hard packed earth. He closed his eyes, although the water was relaxing he could not help but picture the flashing eyes of the gang leader in the bar and the clear threat which could be read there. He had acted on impulse to defend Missy and now he'd likely catch a bullet himself in exchange.

As the water cooled, Clyde climbed out of the tub and began to towel himself off with the sackcloth towel one of the triplets had left over the footboard of the bed. He had a chance to look around the room. It was small, built of pine boards from the local hills, like so many of the buildings in Coldwater. Someone with a deft eye had made the best of the sparse room with a few pieces of furniture that had probably once been rather fine. The bed was made up similarly to the other he had seen with frilly bedclothes that looked a little worse for the wear. Clyde wondered how many men in the camp and the hills had buried a days worth of working and drinking in one of Judy's girls in that very bed.

He turned to get dressed and only then noticed that the girls had absconded with all of his clothes, from his hat to his long underwear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back