• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Cold Nights (Exalted 2.5e) - Astrid Mustonen

Astrid sighed, somewhat relieved - it atleast seemed that Freyda wasn't keeping any secrets from her. "That's possible. However, spirits have... a lot of ways to conceive a child." She recalled the scare she had several months back, although that turned out to be a demon rather than a baby. "It can be a fluke - maybe you stood on a desmense too long. But I'd rather not take a risk. Godblooded births can be dangerous depending on their parentage. I don't know what my mother was like before I was born, but I do know she was weak and withered afterwards." This was starting to get a bit personal for her, but she decided honesty was best.

"You say Jahrl didn't say anything," she began, "but that's to be expected. I know from experience that he likes to neglect crucial details. Rediscovering the alphabet wasn't all that fun. Either he's senile or he likes to play games." The bitterness in her voice was obvious. "If you'd like, I can consult with him on the matter, but I'd also understand if you rather me keep my thoughts to myself. I just feel its important for you to know." Atleast Freyda was stepping away from the weapons.

The pale haired woman was silent for a time, perhaps thinking on Astrid's words. Eventually, her right hand closed into a tight fist, and she lifted her gaze.

"No, let's call Jahrl." She stated, firmly, before pushing herself to her feet - with a hint of difficulty. Her blue eyes moved past Astrid to the door, before just a step behind her. Freyda chuckled, seeming a hint sheepish, before dropping herself back to the couch. "...why don't you ask the guards outside if they'll send a runner for him? And one to the kitchen as well - so we can wait in comfort."

Last edited by a moderator:
Astrid sighed. She'd rather not involve Jahrl, but she supposed that at the very least, it'd take some of the responsibility off her back. "Very well," Astrid turned to step outside the room, stopping in the hallway to meet Hilda.

"Thank you for your patience," she said to her bodyguard, as though Hilda had much choice. "It'll be a bit longer I'm afraid. We're discussing an important matter."

She then moved to address Freyda's guards. "If its okay, I'd like one of you to get a messenger to fetch Jahrl. Tell him that Freyda... and Astrid, want to speak with him." Astrid didn't really want to speak with him. "Hopefully he's not too busy eating human hearts or whatever it is he does in his free time." Her feelings were scarcely a secret it seemed.

"Speaking of eating," she said, abruptly changing the subject, "Freyda would like food sent to the room for us as we wait. A message to the kitchen would also be much appreciated." She then gave the guards a short bow in thanks as she moved to go back into Freyda's room to await the mage's arrival.

No longer fearing that she would be killed by the pregnant woman on the sofa, Astrid moved deeper into the sitting room - settling into the chair nearest Freyda, who had set her book down. Neither spoke immediately - Astrid seeming content to wait in silence, Freyda studying the dark-haired doctor opposite her. Eventually, the pale-haired woman spoke, though.

"You really do hate him, don't you?"

Astrid's eye twitched visibly. "I keep some secrets," she said tersely, "but that is not one of them. Yes, I can't stand him. He's quite aware of this."

"Yes," Freyda's reply was fierce, "but he's admitted he was in the wrong. And he's tried to make amends." She took a breath, calming back into her seat.

"I understand not liking him, but I don't see why you'd hate him as much as you do."

"You weren't there when it happened," she responded, her tone becoming more angry. "He must've thought it hilarious, drawing those symbols all over the shop and then giving me the protective equipment only when it was over." She rolled her eyes, before looking back to Freyda, speaking sharply, "I've said he's either senile or he likes to play games. I don't think its the former."

"He takes his job seriously, Astrid." Freyda replied tersely, "But he is fallible, and he admitted that. Yes, his reasons for failing weren't praise-worthy, but he is still a skilled magician, and our company would suffer without him."

"I also take my job seriously, and he prevented me from doing it. For two months I had to learn how to write - writing of all things - before I could even use magic again because he thought he'd have a fun time and try to frighten me." She was standing now, facing away. "Well guess what, it didn't work; people died and I ended up with a monster swirling about my head - as though there weren't enough of those already. An apology because you were caught means nothing - I scarcely believe a single pang of remorse has ever crossed his mind, and I have no interest in forgiving him."

She took a deep breath to collect herself and turned back around. "I will work with him, but only because I have to. No more, no less.

Freyda was silent, piercing blue eyes on Astrid. Eventually, she nodded. "I can ask no more than that." She replied, finally. "But everyone makes mistakes, Astrid."

Expression set, Astrid did not dignify that remark with a response.

Eventually, the silence of the small room was broken by the sound of a knock at the stone door. Freyda shouted her ascent – and a middle-aged woman entered with a tray of biscuits, cheese and tea. The latter was green and had a distinctly cool and minty taste to it – flavored no doubt with locally grown herbs.

((Astrid: 4/6wp. Her Intimacy of hatred toward Jahrl is official. Congrats!))

As if to confirm Astrid's impression of him, Jahrl did not materialize immediately. His cave was some distance from the manor-house, so it was only sensible that he would not arrive swiftly. Freyda, for her part, had settled back into whatever book she was reading - her fingers moving to her axe at times. Had Astrid been of mind to notice such things, she might have been able to infer what was happening in the story's events by how tightly Freyda gripped her weapon's handle.

Time passed, and, just as the dark-haired woman's patience began to fray, the door opened.

The old woman who stood in the door was slender as a twig, with short grey-gold hair. Her dress was modest - dyed brown, with the company's emblem stitched into the side, at the waist. A dagger with a worn leather handle hung from an, equally worn, leather belt at her waist.

"Hello dear." She said, looking at Freyda, before glancing to Astrid briefly, "I'd heard your doctor made a surprise visit. This is her, then?" Freyda nodded silently, and the old woman ducked her head out of the room. Astrid heard footsteps retreating quickly outside, before the woman admitted herself - allowing the stone door to swing closed behind her. She moved with surprising rapidity and very little delicacy, for a woman of her age.

"So." She settled in an armchair across from Astrid. "What's wrong with my grandson?"

"Finally!" Astrid exclaimed, almost at the end of her patience. She got up from her seat, ready to brief Jarhl on what had happened, when she realized it wasn't Jarhl at all.

"Hello dear," the old woman said in regards to Freyda. The two conversed momentarily, independent of Astrid.

'Who is this?' the doctor wondered momentarily before it became obvious.

"So. What's wrong with my grandson?" she asked as she settled into a chair.

'Fuck,' Astrid realized with a brief grimace that this was Freyda's mother. And, thus, the owner's wife. 'Tread carefully. Astrid...' she didn't want to end the night being stabbed by an old woman. She'd rather keep her findings between her and Freyda. Was there a way to talk around this?

"Information must travel quickly around here," Astrid replied, replacing her frown with a smile. "Your grandson... nothing is wrong, hopefully."

She paused. 'This woman probably doesn't want to hear your bullshit.'

She resumed, her voice carrying more certainty this time, "I'll cut it short. I've been doing some tests and Freyda seems to have an unusual amount of essence in her body. I suspect it to have something to do with the child; I have my theories, but Freyda would like a second opinion from Jahrl, whom we are waiting for."

When you're a bad liar, its best to just come clean. She let out a sigh, glad to atleast have thrown it all out in the air, "if you would like, you may wait with us, but he's taking his dear time."

((OoC: We apologize for this abrupt hiatus, and will now resume our regular but unscheduled posting.))

"I'll cut it short." Astrid began, rethinking her approach rapidly, "I've been doing some tests and Freyda seems to have an unusual amount of essence in her body." That drew a frown from the elderly woman seated across from her. "I suspect it to have something to do with the child -" by this point, the Ulfrson matron's lips had thinned to a line of visible displeasure, "- I have my theories," Astrid added - perhaps a little hastier now - "but Freyda would like a second opinion from Jahrl, whom we are waiting for."

That last admission seemed to relax the old woman. "Ah, good." She smiled - though Astrid detected only cold and edges to the expression - and folded her hands neatly in her lap. "Then we shall await Jahrl's presence." Her words were a tad too sweet.

"Mother..." Freyda interjected, expression worried.

"Oh, I don't mind dear." The lady Ulfrson replied, sweetly again. "I sent for another cup, so I could stay and keep you company." The old woman's blue eyes were fixed squarely on Astrid, though. "I have so much I'd like to ask your doctor, after all."

The look Freyda directed to Astrid was grave.

"For instance," the matron went on, "I am curious, why didn't you bring this matter to the priest you invited onto the estate?"

The stone door behind the old woman opened at that moment, and a young girl scurried in - bringing another tea cup, and more biscuits - to the table between the three women.

'What's happening.' Astrid's internal monologue was more statement than question. Was she supposed to have lied? The old woman's reactions were putting her at edge. She seemed so... terse? Like she was holding something back, and Freyda seemed nervous too.

"I sent for another cup, so I could stay and keep you company. I have so much I'd like to ask your doctor, after all." Her eyes were locked straight on Astrid; the doctor flicked her eyes to Freyda, and wasn't reassured at all. "For instance, I am curious, why didn't you bring this matter to the priest you invited onto the estate?"

Madame Ulfrson was of course referring to the Priest Astrid had brought in after the affair with the demon. It had been a point of some tension. Astrid recalled how coldly the young priest named Jon had treated her. They were looking into the Ulfrson's accounts, and Astrid could only imagine they were difficult to wish away.

Astrid took a breath - she had nothing to hide and would not let herself be frightened by an old woman.She reached out for a cup of tea and took a sip. "This matter affects Freyda more than anyone else here, Madame Ulfrson" Astrid responded plainly. "As her doctor, I feel it is my obligation to keep her informed about her child - not to keep a priest informed. If the two of you wish to go to the priest with the information, then we may. I have no reservations about finding him right now." Astrid had wanted to keep this between Freyda and herself as much as possible, but with the old woman in the mix, she was suddenly a bit eager to involve a third party. Anything to put some distance between herself and these people.

'This wasn't supposed to be a confrontation,' she pleaded to no one mentally.

"No." Freyda's voice nearly cut Astrid's final words off, as it sliced the air.

"Fredya -"

"No, mother, I am not letting that priest examine my child." The pregnant woman shot back, hotly.

Her mother's expression was pained, as she leaned toward her daughter. "And what if it's a monster, Fredya?"

"Astrid is a fine doctor!" Freyda snapped, "And you know that. The death toll in the mines has gone down since she arrived, and productivity's gone up."

The old lady turned a suspicious gaze toward Astrid momentarily, before offering a faint nod and sigh. She returned her attention to her daughter. " And what if it's a fairy?"

"..." Freyda's hand moved protectively to her stomach. "...we'll wait for Jahrl." The pale haired woman eventually replied, meeting her mother's blue eyes - with only a trace of hesitation.

"No, mother, I am not letting that priest examine my child," Freyda snapped to her mother severely, to Astrid's surprise.

"If Freyda doesn't wish to go, then that's that," Astrid agreed reluctantly. The guards outside were all on Ulfrson's payroll though, who could Astri turn to if things got ugly?

It didn't seem like Madame Ulfrson cared for Freyda's or Astrid's thoughts thought. "And what if it's a monster, Fredya?" Astrid's eyes went wide. What does this woman think is going on here?

"Astrid is a fine doctor!" Freyda snapped, "And you know that. The death toll in the mines has gone down since she arrived, and productivity's gone up." Astrid remained quiet as the old woman turned her gaze to away from Freyda and instead to her, obvious weariness on her face.

"And what if it's a fairy, Freyda?"

"Wait what?!" Astrid interjected, suddenly standing. "Why would it be a..." she hesitated "...fairy?" It was such a specific accusation. Astrid suddenly got the feeling that this conversation was going on a level entirely out of her grasp.

"...we'll wait for Jahrl," Freyda said with resignation. Astrid turned her gaze to the old woman, trying to get some sort of read on her expression as silence took the room.

((Retroactive Roleplaying is go!))

"Wait, what!?" Astrid shot up from her seat, throwing an increduous glance between the two women, "Why would it be a..." Was that a temor of unease in her voice? "...a fairy?"

"You said it was magical." The Lady Ulfrson replied, shrugging faintly, as she grasped her tea-cup and gingerly brought it to her lips. A sip later, she elaborated. "A fairy child..." She shook her head, "...they're trouble. Chaos is in their blood. More importantly though, if it became known that Freyda was consorting with fairies or the dead -"

"- I am not." Freyda snapped.

"- it would hurt her, and the family's reputation."

"With the traditionalists." Freyda added, tersely.

"No one likes the fairies, Freyda." The old woman replied, somewhat sharply. "And the undead make people nervous." She glanced toward Astrid with that, though her expression was unreadable, "We don't need to give anyone more reason to hate us." She added, more gently, now.

"..." Freyda sighed faintly, as she moved a hand protectively to her stomach. She eventually brought her eyes to her mother's, with only a trace of hesistation. "I want to talk to Jahrl before we make any decisions. We don't know if the baby's even the problem yet."

The old woman sighed, "Alright dear." She pushed herself to her feet, "Dr. Mustonen," her tone was polite now, "would you like me to send for anything, from your workshop, perhaps?" She paused a beat, "If Jahrl isn't in his cave, it may take some time for the guards to locate him."

"There's a big curved dagger for amputations that I'd like to have," Astrid replied, after a moment's thought, drawing a perplexed expression from Freyda, "...for personal reasons." She concluded.

Lady Ulfrson smiled with approval, "Smart girl."

Relative silence, at times punctuated by pleasantries, settled on the three women for what seemed hours - thoroughly fraying Astrid's patience. She got her knife - brought by Erik, oddly enough - who cheerfully left immediately after, long before Jahrl finally materialized. When the slightly pudgy mage entered, he was clad in his usual blacks - a faint sheen of sweat crowning his balding brow. His smile was large and warm though, as he waddled up to the three waiting women. Freyda and her mother politely closed their imported books.

"I apologize for the delay, my ladies," Jahrl offered cheerfully, bowing deeply. "I was engaged in ritual matters, so I could not speak to the messenger immediately." He glanced toward Astrid, "I understand you wanted to speak to me?"

Astrid frowned at the comments about the undead. 'I still have a pulse, you know,' she thought out but refrained from saying aloud. She was disliking her boss as much as she expected it seemed.

Why a fae though? Astrid admittedly suspected the child a godblood too - but a fae? An elemental or minor god had to be more likely. Freyda was an explorer, but she couldn't be that adventurous, could she? It occurred to Astrid that she didn't actually know that much about the Great Ice, nor did she know too much about Freyda, but she pushed Madame Ulfrson's suspicions aside as an old woman's ramblings.

She waited in the room quietly, slightly comforted by the knife at her side, until the tension was broken by Jahrl - that awful man - entering through the door.

"I apologize for the delay, my ladies" - doubtful - "I was engaged in ritual matters, so I could not speak to the messenger immediately."

'Wonder if the messenger made it out.'

"I understand you wanted to speak to me?"

'Want is a poor choice of words.' While she was usually pretty open about her belligerence, Astrid felt it a bad idea to be so caustic in open view of the old lady.

"Yes," she replied. "I've been running some tests, and I've found an unusual concentration of essence in Freyda's body - atleast when compared to other samples. I can't identify a clear source... but I believe the child to be involved. As such, I feel further examination is necessary. Freyda claimed you haven't found anything of the sort, but I will be honest, I think you to be the sort of man to keep such details to himself." She let that hang in the air for a moment. "She and Madame Ulfrson however, would like your thoughts on the matter."

"...I think you to be the sort of man to keep such details to himself." Astrid stated, wintery blue eyes accusing, as they rested on Jahrl. She thought she detected the faintest shean of sweat on the old man's forehead. Rather than draw attention to it, the dark-haired girl turned away, gesturing toward the other women. "She and Madame Ulfrson however," the doctor was clearly perplexed, "would like your thoughts on the matter."

Jahrl let out a chuckle - which sounded only slightly awkward and sheepish - before turning his dark grey eyes to Freyda. "Hm. Well," the mage's expression was thoughtful, "...I can't think of anything that might be wrong with her. Her pregnancy could simply be late, but I suppose it could be a godsblood..."

Freyda winced; Astrid had said the same.

"Nothing to worry about, Mistress Ulfrson." Jahrl added, expression softening as he moved closer. "Astrid is a fine doctor - even if there's some danger to delivering the child," the mage glanced briefly toward Astrid, his expression betraying a hint of concern that did not show in his voice, "I'm sure she'll see to it that you and the child come through it fine." He concluded, looking at Freyda once more.

"I'm not afraid of dying, Jahrl." Freyda replied, sighing faintly. "But can you tell me if he is a godsblood?"

"And what kind?" The Lady Ulfrson, on Jahrl's left, interjected. Her expression was concerned.

Jahrl chuckled, offering a smile to the old matron. "I can certainly try." He stated, "I have your permission to examine you, I assume?"

"Of course." Freyda seemed serious.

The mage nodded, "Let's try the easy way first, then." Before Astrid's eyes, he seemed to...blur - she had the strangest impression of movement rising from Jahrl's body - but it was gone a moment later. There was silence in the room, as the mage's dark eyes seemed to stare through Freyda, who faced him resolutely - though Astrid thought she seemed tense. Another handful of moments past, before Jahrl grunted softly and sighed.

"I'm sorry Freyda," the mage offered, "you'll have to come to my office so I can examine you more thoroughly."

Freyda just nodded, expression serious still.

"Astrid," Jahrl turned toward the dark-haired girl, "will you accompany us?"

"Hm. Well...I can't think of anything that might be wrong with her. Her pregnancy could simply be late, but I suppose it could be a godsblood..."

'Interesting the thought occurred to you so quickly,' Astrid thought, but held her tongue.

"Nothing to worry about, Mistress Ulfrson. Astrid is a fine doctor - even if there's some danger to delivering the child," he shot Astrid a look briefly, concern on his face, "I'm sure she'll see to it that you and the child come through it fine."

'What great deflection.' Astrid was certain he was hiding something, but it didn't seem he was hiding it from her. What was on his mind? Astrid explored the possibilities as Jahrl performed an examination with some strange magic. 'Surely he could've done this at any point...'

Astrid stayed quiet as the mage requested Freyda's presence in his office before turning to Astrid. "Astrid," Jahrl turned toward the dark-haired girl, "will you accompany us?"

She turned her head to Jarhl and nodded. "I should be returning to my duties," she admitted, "but it'd be awfully rude of me to barge in here to cause concern and leave without following through." She locked eye contact with Jarhl, trying to get a read on his expression, "lead the way."

Tick, tock, tick...

Inside one of the sitting rooms of Jahrl's unnatural cave, the minutes ticked by - a fact driven home by the fine wooden clock set in one of the alcoves. Astrid and Madame Ulfrson - who had, of course, insisted on coming - were seated upon plush black furniture, while Jahrl black-skinned consort - a woman named Cynd, apparently - flitted in, out, and between them. Their contingent of guards had been left in the adjourning room, and were being attended by two of Cynd's 'sisters' - more black-skinned women, who, while beautiful in an unearthly way, looked nothing like her. Cynd offered refreshments - some mundane, some very strange - and, for the duration of their wait, had attempted to make conversation. Her success had been mixed.

Tick, tock...

Set into one of the walls of the chamber, a pair of large stone doors shuttered open - perhaps a half-hour after they'd admitted Jahrl and Freyda. The pair emerged - Jahrl looking tired and using Freyda's arm for support. Freyda herself had a resolute expression of her face - she looked a bit like she was matching to her own execution. Cynd let out a soft gasp of concern, hastening to the two, while Madame Ulfrson rose - her expression anxious.

"Freyda, don't tell me that..."

Cynd moved to take the old mage's weight from Freyda, as the pregnant woman offered a wintery smile.

"My son is faeblood." Her hand rested protectively on the swell of her belly.

Madame Ulfrson collapsed back into her chair, seemingly struck dumb.

Tick, tock...

"Freyda, don't tell me that..."

Silence hung in the air as the strange woman went to help Jahrl. Finally, Freyda replied.

"My son is faeblood."

Astrid tried to grab Madame Ulfrson to slow her fall into the chair, but she wasn't fast enough; the old woman collapsed with a thud, seemingly in shock. Astrid was sort of in shock too, her eyes stuck to the floor. How could it be a faeblood? It had to be something else, an elemental child or a godling.

"Surely must be a mistake..." Astrid mumbled but stopped herself. 'It doesn't matter how,' she decided, 'just act.' She took a deep breath, straightened her posture, and turned to Freyda and the mage. "Thank you for your assistance Jahrl. It is much appreciated," she said, putting her grudge aside for a second. There was something more important.

"We will proceed as usual, Freyda," Astrid decided. "The child is still healthy - it will just be born later. And that's good, because we will need that time. I will do all the research I can on the matter, the baby will be born as planned. Nothing need change, this news need no leave the room." She let her announcement fill the room. She felt Freyda would agree, and that Cynd would follow suit with Jahrl, but Madame Ulfrson remained an unknown.

"Nothing need change," Astrid stated, standing behind the stunned form of Madame Ulfrson, "this news need not leave this room."

Silence greeted the doctor's pronouncement. Old woman Ulfrson, enthroned in one of Jahrl's black armchairs, might not even have heard her, so intent was her study of her own lap. Freyda, likewise, was silent - though she was walking her mother. Her expression was closed and serious, though her hands hung noticably close to the handles of her axes. Only Jahrl and Cynd seemed to be moving - the old man using his consort's black arm as support, as he moved toward one of the open arm chairs.

...tock, tick, tock...

"That is as fine a plan as I could come up with, Dr. Mustonen." The mage stated, pausing his steps to break the tension. Beneath his jovial tone, his exhaustion was obvious. "Freyda, Lady Ulfrson, will you agree?" Jahrl glanced from woman to woman - though neither seemed inclined to answer. After a moment, he gently urged Cynd to continue - and seated himself in one of the vacant chairs.

"...Freyda," Madame Ulfrson eventually said, raising her eyes to her daughter, "do you want this?"

Tick...

Freyda nodded, slowly. "I am not afraid of my own child, mother."

...tock.

"..." The old woman lowered her eyes to her lap once more - perhaps she was examining the crest embroidered onto her hip.

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

She finally sighed. "Agreed."

Tick...

"...but I will still inform my husband."

...tock.

Freyda nodded, as Jahrl turned toward Astrid. "I suppose that will be fine," the mage stated. "Astrid?"

Astrid remained quiet, waiting for the answer. 'You still have the knife,' she reminded herself. It was awful that her mind went there, but she didn't know what the old woman would do in response to her proposal. She was a ... traditionalist it seemed. Astrid felt hostility from her that she rarely received but clearly understood; half-bloods weren't accepted. It was a mindset that was losing prevalence in the Leage, but the fact still stood that Ulfrson was a very influential woman...

"...agreed," she finally submitted. Astrid let out a sigh of relief. 'Maybe this can work out.' "But I will still inform my husband," the doctor tensed up again, clearly thinking too soon. 'Obviously being too optimistic.'

Freyda gave a nod, and Jarhl was also in accord. "I suppose that will be fine," the mage stated. "Astrid?"

Astrid was quiet for a second. "Yes, this is fine," she decided, "so long as its what Freyda wants. Is that all then?" Astrid suddenly had a lot of work on her plate.

26rd Day of Descending Fire

“Astrid.” The thin stone door of Astrid’s shack swung open, revealing her blond haired and tanned skin bodyguard. “A…“ the woman stopped in mid-sentence, as her blue eyes settled on Astrid – a thin veil of blood raised to her lips, the stomper out. “…” For a long moment, Hilda simply stared at her charge – before her eyes panned to Erik, washing tools somewhere behind Astrid as if nothing out of the ordinary was happening.

“…a runner came from Lady Ulfrson,” Hilda stated, regaining her composure as her eyes swung back to Astrid, “Freyda went into labour. They’re on their way.” Her eyes moved again to the – now mostly empty – blood vial again, but she did not comment further. The blond woman instead nodded, before returning to her post; closing the door behind her in the process.

“Astrid.”

Astrid coughed and sputtered as the door opened, midway into drinking the blood-vial. It had been a tense couple of weeks, and Astrid was beginning to feel stressed; the blood had seemed so appealing...

"Ye-" she hacked a moment, "yes?"

“A…“

"I-I don't usually..." Astrid began but trailed off, her usually pale face suddenly red with embarrassment.

"...a runner came from Lady Ulfrson. Freyda went into labour. They’re on their way.” Hilda spoke as if she hadn't seen a thing, much to Astrid's thanks.

Astrid's eyes widened and she gave an affirmative nod. "Yes! Well... Erik! Clear the table." Astrid quickly fumbled with a stopper, closing off the top of the vial with a rather sheepish expression. 'This is so embarrassing.' With the vial out of the way, she quickly went to retrieve her apron, now more of a faded orange than the plain grey it used to be, and she went to clean her hands as well in preparation for Freyda's arrival.

6th Day of Descending Fire

It occurred to Astrid with a slight bit of worry that she was starting to get numb to the screams. The guard was laid out on the table like many men before him, his comrade holding him down as Astrid slowly went about pulling a metal shiv from his shoulder that was buried there in a duel. Her sleeves were becoming quite red. Had his opponent's aim been better it likely would've been his throat.

She wasn't so sure how his arm would recover, but that was for later diagnosis. She ordered Erik to bring her bandages and water, which he quickly obliged.

"Once it’s out, the blood will start flowing even more," she warned the injured guard. "Its the only way to stop infection though. So try to breathe deep and don't struggle, lest you bleed worse."

The guard didn't respond, but she made the final move and pulled out the shiv anyways. He gave another brief shout, but Astrid didn't feel a lot of sympathy and she went about washing the blood away with water as Erik went to find the disinfectant. The metal didn't seem rusted, which was promising, but it was best to be thorough anyways.

A sharp knock at the cottage's door interrupted her consideration, before one of the youngsters the Ulfrson's used as messengers admitted themselves. "DoctorMustenonMagusJahrlwantsyoutoknowthatMistressUlfrson'ssquadreturnedandherhusbandwasn'twithtthem." She said in a rush, eyes squeezed shut. "I'llbeoutsideifyouwanttosendaresponse."

She quickly left without looking around.

Astrid let out a frustrated grunt. She heard a lot of important words in that message but wasn't in the proper state of mind to meaningfully string them together. "I'll be out when I'm done!" She replied as she continued to scrub the wound, to the discomfort of the wounded guard. She concluded the other guy likely had it worse and continued.

The wound was a puncture wound - it ran deep but it didn't stretch for across the body. There was little she could do in way of stitching. She applied bandages and made sure they were tight; pressure would be needed to slow the bleeding. "Eat, drink, and rest and come back tomorrow if you can't feel your arm," she said impatiently before going back out to meet the young messenger.

"I apologize," she said, her sleeves still wet with blood. "I didn't really catch that at all. Can you repeat that slowly and succinctly?"

As if drawn like magnets, the girl's eyes moved to Astrid's sleeves. Her expression was a conflicted mixture of emotions - and she visibly gulped. "Uhm." She shook her head quickly, "Magus Jahrl wanted...me to tell you that Mistress Ulfrson's," that was Freyda, or her younger sister, "expedition team returned this afternoon. Mistress Ulfrson's husband was not among them." She finished quickly, forcing herself to look at the ground instead of Astrid's sleeves.

Astrid's mouth twisted into a frown. "Dammit," she muttered under her breath. This complicated matters. After the discovery that Freyda's child was wyld-blooded, Astrid had investigated a blood sample she had of the father. The results revealed what she suspected; Freyda's husband was most likely a fae. Astrid herself didn't know what to make of her findings - she had only met the man briefly and he didn't seem a Raksha, but then, she had never actually met a Raksha before. The notion was actually rather frightening. Could anyone be a Fae?

She pushed the thought aside as an idea came to her. "Wait right here," she told the girl, entering back into the workshop. She fished out the vial that held her husband's blood. There wasn't much that remained; most had been used up in her and Jarhl's experiments. Jarhl presumably still held what she had sent him though, so maybe he could find a solution?

She went back out and handed the vial to the young girl. "Bring this to Jarhl," she said, handing it to the uneasy child. "I don't know what good it will do him, but tell him to try scrying if possible. Furthermore, tell him I'll come see him shortly."

The girl nodded, taking the vial gingerly and holding in both hands. "Yes Doctor." She lingered a moment, before adding, "Magus Jahrl also requested your presence when you have time, ma'am." She added, before turning and racing off. If Astrid didn't know better, she could have sworn the girl was scared of her.

Cold and pale white light filled Jahrl's relatively small scrying chamber, but shadows filled the dark pool at its center. A circle of jagged stones protected it from the light-shedding crystals that surrounded it; Astrid and Jahrl stood on a raised platform in their midst, staring down in those same shadows.

Jahrl had poured a few drops from the contents of Astrid's vial into the pool but a moment ago.

The shadows gradually parted - revealing a handsome blond man dressed in the leathers and furs common to Haslanti warriors. Around him, the image slowly brightened to a pale and translucent blue, revealing a room seemingly cut from the ice itself. Though it was blurry, Astrid thought it reminded her of a farmhouse.

Freyda's husband was surrounded by figures - white skinned beings with hair in varying shades of blue, garbed, strangely, in clothing common to farmers - though in hues of white and blue that Astrid knew were not natural. They seemed to be listening to him speak - between bites of a bread hunk and dredges from a tankard, both hewn from ice - while sitting around a table.

With a sigh, Jahrl allowed the image the lapse.

"Well he's not dead," Astrid noted. "But I don't know what else to make of that. Were those... other fae?"

Jahrl nodded, "Yes, I believe so." The old mage produced a handkerchief from his sleeve, and used it to mop his brow. "The winter folk mirror our culture, particularly those in small colonies like that."

"How long can you keep an eye on him?" she asked. "If we know when he's coming back, maybe we can set a trap or an ambush?"

"As long as I have his blood," Jahrl replied, sounding confident, "and I'm working on crafting something more permanent as we speak." He took a breath, tucking his kerchief back into a pocket. "Freyda has organized some guards she trusts to ambush him already - that was the plan today, when the expedition team returned - but we'll need to be careful about scrying him. He's already noticed me once." Jahrl chuckled, "And Freeholds..." the old mage shook his head, "...can be hazardous."

"Well, keep me informed on his movements. We'll proceed as planned until he shows up. It won't be long until the child is born. Hopefully Freyda's guards have iron on hand..."

26th Day of Descending Fire

Raw and animal sounds filled Astrid's small stone cottage. Their source - Freyda, her face a mask of concentration - lay on the operating table, in a state of partial undress. Her mother was at her side, short hair unbound, in a plain cotton dress, hand in her daughter's and expression a grimace of pained sympathy. Judging by the gouges in the leather under Freyda's free hand, the pregnant woman had quite a grip.

"Push!" Freyda's mother urged - for perhaps the hundredth time.

Freyda responded by screaming.

They'd already given her imported painkillers, so it was probably mostly out of exertion.

Probably.

Erik had quietly excused himself when all this began - presumably, he was outside with the guards.

"Aaaaarg!!!!"

Presumably.

Oh shit. Stay calm stay calm, Astrid thought as a screaming woman began to give birth in her workshop.

"This is all very unpleasant," she said blankly as a screaming woman began to give birth in her workshop.

Astrid gave Freyda medicine to dull pain - she had been saving it to make this occasion easier. Madame Ulfrson took control after that though. Astrid could hear the woman shout another "Push!" as she moved away to tool drawer across the room. She quickly removed a number of small surgical instruments and placed them on a clean cloth. She made sure they were out of Freyda's view. Surgery was a last resort that Astrid hoped would be unnecessary, but it would be best to be prepared regardless.

With her tools all ready, Astrid went back to the table and stood by Freyda's side. In her mind she reviewed all the possible complications that could happen; tearing, bleeding, infection, etc. Unsure of what to do until a complication arose, she put a small hand to Freyda's shoulder in some bid for moral support.

Clad in her brown leather buff jacket, Hilda leaned against the stone wall beside the front door to Astrid's shop. Her blue eyes were as distant and disinterested as ever, as she ignored the horrible sounds emanating from within the building at her back. Erik, sitting cross-legged by her feet, looked pale and shell-shocked. Five other guards, more women than men, surrounded the perimeter - their expressions ranging between Erik's and Hilda's.

After perhaps fifteen-minutes of this, Hilda sighed and nudged Erik with her foot. "Go get some sandwiches for us, kid."

Erik jerked, glancing about himself swiftly, before turning toward Hilda. "But..."

"You heard me." The blond woman replied, expression blank, "And take your time, lunch isn't for two hours."

Erik's smile of relief was wasted on Hilda, as he ran off as fast as he could - as far from the screams as he could get.

"What's..." One of the other guards murmured, drawing Hilda from her revere. A figure rode toward them on reindeerback, tearing up the carpet of green clover that covered the estate ground. Hilda's blue eyes narrowed, and her hand moved the hilt of her boardsword, strapped across her back.

"Rider!" Another of the guards cried.

"Hold positions!"

Hilda swung her broadsword around smoothly, falling into her fighting stance. The rider was barreling right for her. She held her ground, blue eyes hard - dipping the tip of her broadsword slightly and bending at the knees. Around her, the closest guards fell back.

With a loud cry, the reindeer was pulled to a sudden and aburpt stop - rearing before Hilda, whose stance tightened suddenly, as she stood straighter. Her blue eyes moved to the man atop the creature's back - broad-shouldered and powerfully built, the man was covered in the insulated oranges of a great ice explorer. The outfit's hood was pushed back, revealing long blond hair that was thrown back in a sudden wind, and the thick beard along his jaw and around his mouth. A pair of googles hung about his neck and the worn grip of a broadsword was visible over his shoulder.

"Todr." Hilda growled softly, as the man dismounted.

Cold blue light flashed from outside the workshop, casting stark shadows through the doorframe. Guards could be seen through the windows, running toward the front of the cottage. Madame Ulfrson grew pale, eyes going to Astrid's. The sounds of battle floated into the workshop, drawing Freyda back into the real world. Her eyes opened, grip on her mother's hand weakening as her breaths softened.

"Don't worry about it." The elderly woman whispered, squeezing her daughter's hand tightly. "Just..."

The door that connected Astrid's private chambers to the workshop swung open. Madame Ulfrson's back was to it, but Freyda and Astrid's eyes detected the movement clearly. The morning light - brighter than the foggy window in her room should have admitted - seeped through the doorway, silhouetting a slender man. His skin was alabaster white, and his hair a tousled black mop. The beginnings of a black beard could be seen on his handsome face. His clothes were all black cloth and, though they were little more than a short-sleeve shirt and trousers, there was something foreign about the cut. More familiar were the patches of leather armor, strapped to his body.

Freyda's eyes weren't on that, though.

His ears were pointed.

That's not an entrance was what Astrid thought as the door opened to the workshop.

Who? was her second thought as she looked he figure in the eyes. It was a fae, for sure, but it didn't look like Freyda's husband. Then who are the guards fighting? Whatever she did, she decided she had to be loud. "Stay calm," she whispered to Freyda, although it was probably for her own benefit.

Astrid straightened her back to address the Fae. It occurred to her he was much taller than her. Hasn't bothered you before, don't let it bother you now.

She knew her bow was in the corner of the room, and the surgical equipment was laid out on the other side. She could maybe make a rush for one of them, but she didn't want to draw his attention to them yet. She instead looked to Madame Ulfrson, "Keep going."

"Leave, Fae," she said, trying to sound as commanding - and loud - as possible. "You are not wanted here. Step away and no one needs to get hurt." She was still trying to not look at the bow and quiver in the corner. "We know what you are, Raksha" - she put emphasis there, hoping someone somewhere could hear her - "we were prepared for your arrival. Don't think you can try something and make it out of here with your life. Just leave the child and walk away."

Her choices of weapons were limited. If she went for the bow, she'd still have to draw it. The tools weren't very big as well; her amputation blade was the biggest of them and it was still in its drawer.

"Rak - Aah!" A sudden contraction cut Freyda's warning short. The pale mother yowled in wordless frustration, her grip tightening viciously on her mother's hand and the bench below.

"Just stay calm." Astrid whispered, eyes on the black garbed figure in the shadows of the doorframe. "Keep going." She added, this time to the old woman before her, still oblivious to the silent stranger in their midst. The doctor straightened, her deathly grey eyes meeting the man's perfect blues. A flash of surprise appeared on his handsome face.

"Breathe, Freyda." Madame Ulfrson added firmly. "Breathe."

"Leave." Astrid's voice assumed the firmness of command and flecks of invisible red spun about her. "F -."

Cold blue light, like a thunderclap, exploded outside. An agonized shriek rent the air.

The fairy swore.

"Fae." Astrid continued, causing Madame Ulfrson to twist about in alarm. "You are not wanted here." The old woman's hand went to her knife; her shoulders tense. "We know what you are Raksha," Astrid pressed, the word a harsh condemnation, "we were prepared for your arrival." Madame Ulfrson turned to her, looking bewildered. "Don't think you can try something and make it out of here with your life. Just leave the child and walk away."

Silence greeted her ultimatum. The fairy's eyes were fixed on her's for a long moment. Then, she thought she detected the slightest incline of his head - and he stepped back into the shadows of her private chambers. The door clicked shut behind him.

Once again, the room became filled with the animal sounds of a woman giving birth.

Astrid was frozen still following the Fae's exit, her eyes locked on the door. Even Freyda's screams didn't break focus.

'It worked.' Astrid exhaled suddenly, and quickly moved to her cabinets once again. She opened the bottom drawer and pulled out the long, curved amputation blade, which she loosely holstered in the string of her apron before moving back to the operating table. She wanted to go outside - to see what had happened - but Freyda took priority.

"He's gone," Astrid assured her, taking her hand. "Just keep on going, you'll be fine." Astrid slowly raised her head again, trying to get some sort of sign from Madame Ulfrson. One of them needed to go outside to figure out what was going on, but was it worth leaving the other alone in the workshop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back