• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern coincidence, circumstance and...?

You don't remember much, or, rather, you aren't sure where you are. You aren't sure how you got there. And you certainly aren't sure what's going on. In other words, you've found yourself in a situation beyond your understanding.

Mondays...

You've squeezed your eyes shut, apparently, the telltale red of light-penetrated skin filling your vision, unchanging, and unmoving. Perhaps you're staring at the sun? Did you fall asleep outside, somewhere, only to be roused by the sun's rays the next day? Well, you suppose, there's only really one way to find out. Hesitantly, and with a few failings, you manage to force your eyelids apart, flooding your vision with the blinding rays coming down upon you. It was a lamp. An obscenely bright lamp. Shocked, although you should have been expecting such a sight, you throw yourself onto your side. Only to come tumbling off the platform upon which you lay. Honestly, the fall was a lot less punishing than you expected. Or at least, you thought it was, but with your bleary state of being your own senses weren't the most trustworthy thing in the world. In fact, the loud, echoing whack that resounded throughout the room as you made your impact attested exactly to the opposite. But, again, to your sleep addled senses, such things mattered little, all you cared about was the fact that the fall onto the worn, tiled floor didn't hurt in the slightest.

"Ha!" You hear a voice, a feminine one, sound out from the leftmost wall of the room. "Graceful, huh, do you always get out of bed like that?" Stiffly, as if your body wasn't quite as awake as you want it to be, you attempt to turn your body towards the source of the voice. Unfortunately though, all you can manage is to roll onto your other side, a moment followed by an unbecoming, loud groan as you flip yourself over. Much to your behest, the image you're presented with doesn't present much more sight on the woman than your previous view. Partially obscured by a set of metal bars that you can only assume made up the frame of your 'bed', you're only able to make out the legs of your company, clad in a pair of dusty suit-pants, and some leather boots, for which you're unable to figure out if they're stylish, or just tacky.

"Hey, my face is up he-" Speaking out again, the woman seems quick to complain, quicker than she herself would like, as she cuts herself short halfway through voicing her grievance. "Actually, in your state that's probably a bit too much to ask..." Correcting herself, she can't seem to help but sigh. In response to her own words, then woman groans, slightly, as she hoists herself up from her seat, one apparently composed of several over seats stacked upon eachother, not unlike what you used to do in primary school. Pushing herself from that perch, the woman drops to the ground deftly, contrasting your agonizingly loud fall like day to night, and makes her way over to you. Coming to a stop only a pace or two away from your body, and pushing the bed between you aside, she drops into a crouch, though you're still unable to make out much.

"Well, I suppose introductions are in order." She speaks tiredly, as she produces what looks like a mirror from a clip on her belt. "I'm... Houjou. I suppose you can call me that." Pausing for a moment, in which you can't help but feel like she's eying you, she brings the mirror closer to you, but not quite close enough for you to face. "And you're... Well... I guess it would just be easier to show you." A note of hesitation in her voice, she brings the mirror up to your face.

"Try not to scream, OK?"

What do you see?

[ ] A corpse, charred and burnt beyond recognition.

[ ] A body, it’s features discolored and bloated.

[ ] A 'person', comprised merely of a skeleton, and unbelievably pale skin, as if drained to the bone.

"Though in your state, I'd be impressed if you even could..."

[X] A 'person', comprised merely of a skeleton, and unbelievably pale skin, as if drained to the bone.

fucking spooky

[ ] A 'person', comprised merely of a skeleton, and unbelievably pale skin, as if drained to the bone.

Spoopy

Seeing as there's a tie right now I'm gonna keep the vote open for six more hours and if it isn't broken by then I'll just like, flip a coin or sumthin.

[X] A corpse, charred and burnt beyond recognition.

Because I'll scream more at that sight than at a spooky scary skeleton :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Shock runs through your chest as you peer into the mirror. Within it, you're confronted by a face, your face. At the sight of it, you can only try to scream. To bat the mirror away. To squeeze your eyes shut and deny your sight the vision of it. Only, you can't. Your eyelids twitch, your arms tense, and your mouth stretches, but only for a moment, your muscles, emaciated and withered not refusing, but rather being simply unable to carry out any of your demands. You can't help but think that it's a wonder that you've managed to move as much as you have already. Whatever the case, that distressed rolling and falling you'd commuted prior seems to have drained your body of whatever scant amount of energy it held within it. Now that you think about it, you can even feel the grip of sleep beginning to close in on you... Perhaps you could just...

"Hey." Houjou's voice sounds out once again, snapping you out of your 'drowsiness'. Once again, your eyes are drawn to the mirror. Your skin, if you can even call it that anymore, is burnt to a crisp, stained black and ashen, filled with a countless number of cracks and holes where it has come apart. For the rest of your features, you can't speak much better, your nose and lips being burnt away in their entirety, and your eyes reduced to unrecognizable pits of ash, black and unblinking. It doesn't even occour to you to wonder how you're actually seeing all of this. Somehow though, you know it isn't a trick. You know what you're seeing is real, that it isn't some cruel deceit or trickery. That the terror you see in the mirror is, undoubtedly, you.

"Silent, huh? Thank god for that..." Muttering to herself in relief, Houjou pulls the mirror away from you as she stand, and steps above you. The mirror dropping to her side, you're able to catch a slight glimpse of your body. Unsurprised, you see that it's just as damaged as your face, being burnt and damaged to the sort of state that they wouldn't even show on the most gruesome of television shows. Other than that, though, you swear you're able to see something else. Something odd. Symbols. Glyphs. Markings. All carefully drawn onto your now brittle skin.

"You know buddy, you're pretty lucky, you know that?" Before you have a chance to think on it further, Houjou begins to speak yet again. "I mean, the only victim. No witnesses, not even an animal! Honestly, if there'd even been someone's idiot pet wandering around..." As she speaks, you realize this is the first time you've been able to see anywhere above her waist. "Well, then you wouldn't be listening to me right now." A sigh visible in her voice, she flips the mirror around in her hand, gripping it as if it were a knife. "Though, there's no point in me complaining about this now..." Her eyes, brown and piercing, lock onto what remains of your own. "Right?" She raises the mirror above her head. "See you on the other side, pal" Her hand rockets down through the air, mirror in hand. It moves so swiftly, that you don't even notice it.

Not until it crashes into your heart.

And you're reduced to ash.

At once, you realize where you are. Nowhere. Beyond your vision, you are beheld with the sight of little more than the glistening of dust, and ash. Even your own body seems to have abandoned you. Ah... Death. This must be what it feels like. Without light or dark, without warmth or cold... A true, unending nothing. You can't help but feel relaxed. Right. You were always going to end up here, after all, now that you've arrived you might as well just close your eyes... And let sleep take you. With a sigh of relief, you- Wait. A sigh? Coaxing yourself back to wakefulness, you look down, back onto yourself. This time, you see something. A faint silhouette outlines you, and as you realize that, it begins to thicken. Around you the environment shifts, the once-stagnant ash beginning to rush and churn into a storm, currents rush around you, towards you, through you, into you. More and more quickly, your form begins to thicken before you eyes, it's faintness fades, replaced the the solidity of life. From the endless grey around you color springs forth and weaves into you, painting you the colors of life once so familiar to you.

For a moment, however fleeting, you're able to gaze upon yourself as a whole, as if looking into a mirror.

Do you see a boy, or a girl?

[ ] You are male.

[ ] You are female.

Thoughtlessly, you move forward into yourself, and out of the ash that surrounds you. The next moment, you've awoken alive and well, once again staring at the plain, lamp bearing roof above you. Testing your strength, you force yourself to sit up, and as you do, you notice a smirk spread across Houjou's mouth.

"Hah! Welcome back to the side that doesn't suck, kid!" Her voice sounds unbearably smug. "You really are lucky, you know that? Seriously, if I'd had a choice, you'd be laying on an autopsy bed right now" Offended, you jerk your head towards her, your expression transforming into a frown. "Though I already said there's not point in me complaining about it now, didn't i?" Sighing, she drops into a crouch yet again. "So... How about we begin the interrogation, then?"

How do you respond?

[ ] Ask her what she wants to know.

[ ] Ask her what happened to you.

[ ] Ask her what she did to you.

[ ] Stay silent.

[ ] Write in.

Last edited by a moderator:
"What..." At the sound of your own voice, you feel a wave of relief wash over you. "What happened?"

"Huh?" Houjou's expression begins to shift into a frown.

"To me, I mean... What happened t-"

"Hey hey hey hey hey!" She cuts you off. "Let's get this straight. I brought you back so you could answer my questions, not the other way around. You understand?" Naturally, you cringe at the bluntness of her response, a look of disappointment spreading across your face. Houjou sighs as it does. "Oh, fine... I guess you deserve to know that much." Grabbing your arm, without so much as asking, she pulls you to your feet, keeping her eyes locked onto yours all the while. "Take a seat on that bed." Almost automatically, you do as she says. "Well, I guess you could say you were in the wrong place at the wrong time." For a moment, she places her hand onto her chin, thinking about how to explain things. "Hey uh, how much do you know about mythology?" You raise an eyebrow. "Hey, don't look at me like I'm a crazy person. You were the one walking around the city in the middle of the night." She smirks. "What? Were you going to meet your lover or something? Is that what young people do with their nights nowadays?"

"N-no..." You mumble. "I was... Going for a walk, I think."

"Oh, just a nice stroll in the middle of the night?" She laughs, her voice rife with sarcasm. "Anyway... Back to business. You've heard about a Phoenix, right? Reborn in ashes and all that lark?" She doesn't bother to wait for you to reply. "Well, that's what I meant by wrong place at the wrong time. Idiot bird went and lit an entire warehouse on fire when it bit the bullet." She pauses for a moment, as if to allow it to sink in. "...And I imagine you can guess what I'm going to say next. You, miracle that you are, somehow managed to get yourself caught up in the blaze. Luckily enough you were the only one, but..." Her voice trails off as Houjou seems to think things over, if only for the moment. "But... I still don't like it. Normally I'd just chalk something like this up to bad luck, but..." She sighs. "Let's just say Phoenixes are usually clever enough to avoid cities, let alone die in them."

"And besides, I can't very well let your murderer run free, can I?" She smiles. "So hey, how about you help me help you? I've got some questions I want answers to, and I guess you'd like to have a chat with the bird who turned you into fried chicken?" She shrugs. "Or maybe you just want to ignore it and move on with your life... Not that I'd recommend that, though. The big bad monsters tend to be a bit camera shy, if you know what I mean." She chuckles to herself.

"Of course, I'm not going to make you roll either way. So long as you tell me what I want to know... I'll let you do whatever you want. Deal?" She eyes you expectantly.

Hesitantly, you nod in confirmation.

"Good!" She smiles. "Now, just answer my questions, and we can be on our way."

"Now... First... You remember anything being up before you got toasted? Like uh, see any scary magic Mafia or something?"

Despite your poor recollection of the attack, you decide to do your best to remember anything you can.

[ ] "Now that you mention it, I remember feeling like a wasn't alone. Maybe there actually was someone else around?"

[ ] "...If I remember right... I heard squawking before I... Uh... You know."

[ ] "I don't know if this really counts. But I remember feeling like the place was kind of... Off."

[ ] You're unsure of your memory, and decide to make something up to satisfy your interrogator. [WRITE IN]

"OK... How about your uh... Little walk. Anything strange happen while you were wandering about?"

[ ] "I remember hearing... Something moving around outside. I just thought it was the wind at the time, but..."

[ ] "Actually... The doors were open when I got there. Isn't that kinda of strange?"

[ ] "The streets were really empty. Even for the night time. I think I only saw one or two people while I was out."

[ ] You're unsure of your memory, and decide to make something up to satisfy your interrogator. [WRITE IN]

"Right. Last question. What about during the blaze? Can you remember anything from then?"

[ ] "...When I tried to get out ...The door was stuck. I was too panicked to think anything of it then, but..."

[ ] "I remember the fire spreading really fast. Like there was something helping it along..."

[ ] "When I tried to call for help... I didn't have any service. Maybe it was just the building, but I was right in the middle of town, so..."

[ ] "I don't know if this really counts. But I remember feeling like the place was kind of... Off."

[ ] "I remember hearing... Something moving around outside. I just thought it was the wind at the time, but..."

[ ] "...When I tried to get out ...The door was stuck. I was too panicked to think anything of it then, but..."

[ ] "Actually... The doors were open when I got there. Isn't that kinda of strange?"

[ ] "I remember the fire spreading really fast. Like there was something helping it along..."

[X] "Now that you mention it, I remember feeling like a wasn't alone. Maybe there actually was someone else around?"

[X]"The streets were really empty. Even for the night time. I think I only saw one or two people while I was out."

[X] "...When I tried to get out ...The door was stuck. I was too panicked to think anything of it then, but..."

"Sounds about right..." As your questioning draws to what seems to be it's end, Houjou lets out a long, frustrated sigh. "You know, I was really hoping for something more solid than that... Like a name or a face or..." Sarcastically, she laughs to herself. "Or, you, something that didn't just confirm that there's a rabbit hole running under the birds nest. Well, that, and that it was probably your fault you ended up like you did." She smirks. "Seriously, what kind of nerves do you have? Walking around a ghost town in the middle of the night? Man, even I'd be tempted to run home and cozy up in bed." Again. She's insulting you again. What sort of problem does she have with you? "Hey, you read like an open book, you know that? Loosen up." As if in response to your thoughts, Houjou laughs out some attempt to justify herself. "What is it? Can't laugh at a joke at your own expense? Come on, cheer up a little. You just got a get out of jail free card! For your own death! Act like it!"

At this point, you're not even sure if you've offended her, or if she's just 'joking' again. "S-sor-" You begin to speak, instinctively apologizing for... Whatever it is she seems to be upset about.

"Oh come on, stop it with the spooked kid act. There's no way I'm scarier than dying in a burning building..." Her voice trails off, seemingly caught on the thought. "Or at least... I shouldn't be. I hope." Her vision flicks away from you as she seems to think it over. You can't help but be a little amused. Just a little, a the corners of your mouth forming up into the startings of a smile, albeit, one born more of confusion than happiness. Houjou notices. "Hah. So you do know how to smile." For a moment she pauses, as if she were considering something. "Whatever, laugh at me if you want. Better than having you look like I killed your dog twenty four seven." Half sighing, and half smiling, Houjou turns her back to you and heads towards the exit. "Either way, I guess our business here is done, isn't it?" She stops at the door frame. "Now you're perfectly free to go back to living your life right now. But... If you want to get a grasp on why you ended up as human jerky, you're free to tag along."

"Back to the nicknames..." You mutter under your breath.

"Got an issue with it? Spit out your name already, then!" Houjou calls over her shoulder.

"Haven't I?..." Your eyes rolling back in thought, you run your memory back through the conversation. Did you really not introduce yourself? Jeez. You must have been so busy... Your attention shifts to Houjou, her form apparently waiting within the frame of the door, until you come to a decision... So busy... 'chatting', that you forgot to even give your name.

'I uh, so-" You catch your own tongue. "Not sorry, right... Whatever, my name is..."

[ ] (WRITE-IN)!

"Huh" Houjou sounds amused. "Not a bad name you got there. Certainly rolls off the tongue better than 'grilled fish' or 'human jerky'!" Grinning at her own joke, Houjou steps out of the roomframe and proceeds out of the roof, vanishing behind the wall, leaving only her voice present. "Well! I'll be off then! I've got a few things of my own to sort out, so if you wanna play Watson, then meet me at your funeral pyre! I'll be there before you, promise!"

"Hey!" You hop down from your seat of a bed, and rush toward the door. "Wait up! I still want t-" Rounding the doorway, you're met with the sight of an old, run down hallway. One that looks like it belongs to what was once a hospital, and more importantly, one that is absolutely empty. Your eyes scan the hallway in disbelief, searching for any sign of where she might have vanished to. All you're able to spot, is a window, flung open as wide as possible. "Did she really?..." You approach the window, and poke your head out of it. You're able to pick up a familiar figure in the distance. "She did..." You sigh. She jumped out a window? You cast your gaze down the building. A third story window? Jeez. Talk about leaving in a hurry. Half staring, and half glaring at her slowly shrinking silhouette, you decide against trying to call her back. You doubt she'd listen even if you did.

Well, you suppose there's only one way to get anything out of her now...

The question is, do you really need to?

[ ] Go to the incinerated warehouse.

[ ] Go home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back