• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Coffee Shops and Hot Topics (Private)

elytra

a beetle may or may not be inferior to a man
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Carla McMannon really loved alone time.

Now, that wasn't to say she was antisocial, nor that she was introverted. Actually, she liked socializing as well. However, there was a point where there was too much socializing, and her head felt like it was going to burst. This usually occurred when she had a lot of work to do, and people kept consistently interrupting her, which made it so her work got done much slower than it would've without people. That, of course, was aggravating, and made it so she appreciated any time she got alone, enough that she started making sure she had that time.

See, Carla worked in computer science. Specifically, she worked for a magazine company, and the thing about magazines were that they were not-quite-digital. Considering the world was in a stage of going completely digital, that was a problem, and the easiest solution to said problem was to make sure these magazines had digital copies. That's where she came in. She worked on the apps and the website, as well as the uploads, making sure that the magazines could get to any and all devices, so long as they had a screen and internet access. It was more difficult than it sounded.

First, you had to make the app. Then, you had to make sure that app could actually work on more than one device, for the largest amount of viewership. Then, there was the scanning, the sizing, the uploading, and a whole bunch of other bullshit that made her head spin. Updating it was a hassle, and searching through the code for bugs was tedious. She was getting paid for it, though, and with getting paid came deadlines, ones that couldn't be missed if she still wanted a job. So, she had made it a daily event to go to Drive Brew, a small, cozy coffee shop about a 5-minute walk from her home, to sit down, have a cup, and get some work done. She left her phone on vibrate, and didn't check it unless it was important. She usually ended up being there for 2 hours, at least, before going home and rejoining her various friends on their various chatting systems.

Currently, she was sitting in the corner of the shop, chewing thoughtfully on a pen cap as she looked over a segment of code. Apparently, a customer had complained that the pay-for-magazine button wasn't working, but had described the issue in such vague terms that she didn't know what was wrong. It could have easily been an account problem, considering no one else was complaining, but she needed to comb through the code anyway just in case. It wasn't so awful, but she wished she didn't have to go line by line. It really got tiring, after a point.

Ver Haxon stumbled into the coffee shop, looking like she'd just crawled out of a car crash.

She made it about halfway to the counter when a crowd of people swarmed her, shouting the name Jane. Laughing weakly, she signed some autographs and took some selfies before making it to the counter.

"I'll take.. the strongest thing on the menu with 2... no, 3 espresso shots." She asked the Barista, who gave her a... concerned look before getting right down to it.

While waiting for her drink, she can't help but let her eyes wander, seeing people taking photos of her talking in hushed voices, her gaze finally landing on Carla. She was... stunned, both by her looks but also by the fact that she was totally unfazed by the movie star standing a few feet away from her.

She grabs her coffee, before approaching Carla.

"How's it goin?" She winks, badly.

Carla paused a moment, still looking at the screen of her computer. Then, carefully, she shut it, leaning her arms on top of it and looking up at Ver. She pushed her glasses back up onto her face, so they were comfortably resting on the bridge of her nose rather than sliding down her face. She didn't speak at first, instead looking Ver over, then taking in how many people in the area were taking photos. She could come to the solid conclusion that this person, whoever they might be, looked so much like a walking zombie from some terrible accident that people couldn't help but take a few photos. She didn't exactly blame them.

"....I've been here for 3 hours working on a code, looking for a problem that doesn't seem to exist, and I've drank my way through 5 cups of coffee already." She finally said, taking another sip of her drink "So....it's going."

Ver laughs a little awkwardly. This girl really didn't know who she was huh? First time for everything I suppose.

"You watch a lot of movies?" She asks, attempting to look as close as she does in most of her posters.

That was an odd question. Was this girl about to ask her to the movies? Carla didn't have the time for that, currently. She had work to do. Besides, who asked someone about movies right away, anyway? It seemed like a weird topic to bring up when first meeting someone. Though, she couldn't judge. She couldn't start conversations with people to begin with, so really, was she any better? Not really. So, she'd let it slide.

"No, I really don't. I don't have the time or money for them." She said, eyebrows furrowing a moment, before her eyes flickered to the crowd briefly "Can I....do something for you, or....?"

Ver's face turned to a look of slight panic. She... she had no clue who was standing in front of her, and that meant Ver was just an average person to her.

"Oh uhh..." She laughs awkwardly. "The name's Jane Doe, could I uhh.. buy you a coffee?"

That's how normal people flirt right? That's how you... flirt like a human. Probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back