• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Coffee and Cigarettes. 1x1 (Closed)

Wixed

Batteries not included.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
It was fall when he transferred. The autumn air as crisp as the school uniform he carried. Tokyo towered over the cherry blossoms who shedded their pink in lieu of the season. He’d lived in the city as a child, recollecting this and that as he meandered through the late afternoon. A quiet familiarity settled in his chest, and he adjusted the collar of his shirt, stopping at a crosswalk--a neon hand blinking through the traffic. A small crowd ambled about him and the hand flickered green, a pixeled walking figure, as the group of people engulfed him, sweeping across the white lines.

He slipped his headphones to rest at the base of his neck, bouncing against his collar bones as he took the small hill ahead of him. Before him the street glistened busily, lined up and down with businesses and restaurants. Bodies filed in and out, an ocean of strangers, and he read the signs as he weaved through. He slipped his bag from his shoulder, dark hair falling against his nose, and slipped his uniform in, zipping and returning it to it’s previous place.

Slender legs took him forward and into a quaint shop. It was a coffee shop, antiqued and warm--dotted with lumpy chairs to sink into, and aged book shelves along the western wall. His steps tapped against the wooden floors and as he reached the small line of people, a reserved smile took his lips. This is where he would work. Sure he could work under his father, in corporate business, but his tastes were as unrefined as his decision making, and once his mind was set, there was no hope for changing it.

The espresso machine hissed at him from across the countertop, and when it was his turn to order, a polite conversation between himself and the cashier ensued. Surely the saying “looks aren’t everything” didn’t apply to him in this moment, flashing a balmy grin at the girl who discussed the possibility of his position. He would work there. His goal was set and he exited the shop, application in hand, coffee in the other.

The following day he woke early. His alarm wasn’t set to go off for another hour, and he grumbled, rolling out of the bed stiffly. The stress of new beginnings was always the same. Always sleepless and nerves. His home was boxes and an assortment of furniture scattered untidily. “Good morning William.” His mother’s sing-songy voice greeting him as she hovered over the stove, eggs sizzling. “You’re up early. Some tea?” She withdrew the electric kettle and set him a place at the table, before turning back to monitor her cooking.

He stood at the threshold of his front door and blinked out into the dim sunrise, uniformed students taking to the street to catch the tram. He peered at his mother who gave him a supportive smile and sent him on his way, following after a girl who was wearing similar attire; and glad for it, as she knew a quicker route than he did to the trains. They hurried across railroad tracks and reached the station more quickly than he’d attempted a few days prior.

The ride to school was chilly, and he tugged the hood of his coat up over his face, observing the car and its riders. Many were from his new school, and many wore uniforms he was unfamiliar with. It seemed he went unnoticed under the confines of his coat. No one stared or asked him if he was a transfer, though this was not unusual--the tram rides were always quiet.

The school approached as he filtered through the building mass of students. And he when he reached the entrance, he was faintly amused by its architecture. Modern and sleek, he’d never thought himself to attend one of the top high schools in Tokyo. Yet here he stood, mentally preparing himself for the introduction that he’d have to give in home room. With a sigh he put his shoes into his locker in exchange for the slippers they were required to wear indoors--and took to the stairs in search of 2nd year, class B.

Upon discovery, he was ushered in by the teacher and directed to the front of the room, where he bowed as she spoke. “Good morning class, we have a transfer today.” She smiled gently in his direction. “This is William Sanada.” She spelled his name across the white board and the usual giggles and whispers flitted between the students. She pointed him to the empty chair in the back, beside the window, where all lead characters sit in their respective mangas--and announced that it would be free study before math began. He slinked into his chair and ignored the stares, typical for a transfer student, placing the application on his desk and slowly filling it out.

@Integra

((Apologies for the length. xD ))

For quite some time, there had been rumors of a new student coming to their school. This was where everyone else agreed--after this, the rumors diverged into smaller, personally-bred secrets. "He's an orphan." "He killed someone in his old school." "He got expelled." At these rumors, Ailwyn rolled his eyes. It was such a stretch that he was shocked anyone could believe this far fetched tales, not any more realistic than a story read on the Internet, and should be taken just as seriously. However, he found himself being volunteered to show the new student around the school when he finally arrived. He planned to face the task with confidence and make a good impression of this school, hoping that nobody would ask the new boy if he ran away from home, or if he'd ever committed murder.

Anyways, he needed to accept this responsibility for his own reasons. To shed his personality as a loner, he didn't fight the task he was given to meet the new boy. He made the assumption that the new kid would have no friends here, and in that respect they would be no different. Ailwyn had many acquaintances, but nobody he could consider a friend. Most often he considered himself too busy for friendship, but part of him recognized it was simply because of his asocial attitude.

Thinking about his outward coldness, his thoughts geared towards his brother. He was older than Ailwyn, and already in university. He still lived at home, but directed most of his attention to his studies. He wasn't particularly close to anyone either, and was even a little cold to his family at times. His sister was a different story, though. Still older than Ailwyn, she flitted around from place to place like a social butterfly, much to Ailwyn's embarrassment. To see her being so open and carefree horrified him to no end.

After a few weeks of anticipation of this new student, Ailwyn almost couldn't believe it when he finally saw him. Not particularly tall, but not short either, the boy named William Sanada faced his gossiping class with the face of a soldier. He admired him for that bravery. Watching him curiously, Ailwyn eventually mustered up the courage to approach him, suddenly conscious of every wrinkle and crease in his uniform, and of the stressed beating of his heart.

Clearing his throat to get his attention, battering himself for the pretentious gesture, he waved shyly to him, showing him his best smile. Unfortunately, his best smile was a nervous twitch of the corner of his mouth. "Good morning," he managed to say in a semi-conversational tone. He could feel his heart race under his shirt, his mouth going dry. Approaching a stranger was his worst nightmare come true, but he tried not to let it show.

Will's pen glided across the job application quickly, filling in his name (last name, first, middle initial), and for a moment it seemed he hadn't even noticed the approach of the stranger--nor his throat clearing. He scribbled in the date of his birth and even started to jot down his social security number, but something reminded him that a presence was awaiting his attentions. Maybe it was the shadow cast over his desk, or maybe it was the scent of soap on skin and clothes, but he snapped his gaze up as if startled from a daydream.

He blinked. And blinked some more. The boy grimacing down at him, a slight twitch of the lip, confused him for a moment before he spoke a shy "Good Morning." Was he smiling at Will? He couldn't quite make sense of the expression, but he gave the blond a nod and a gentle smile in return. "Oh. Sorry. I was... distracted..." he admitted his ignorance and slipped the papers into the cubby of his desk. "I'm Will. Oh wait." He drew his lips into a tight line and looked away at his mistake. "You already know that." He smiled forward at the white board where his name remained, scrawled neatly across the glossy surface.

He wondered then, if the student before him was meaning to be so intimidating. It wasn't so much that he appeared the type, but he seemed eager to be elsewhere, and this pricked at Will's nerves. Though he decided to blame it simply on the stress of being new. The class buzzed. And of course, as with any new student, they stared and quietly gossiped, though some things weren't so quiet. He hoped it would die down within the week. It seemed odd then, that not only could he hear his name, he heard, presumably, the name of the student awaiting him. He couldn't know why they would be discussing someone in their class, but he gritted his teeth for a moment and tried to be casual. "Ehhh..uhh..." He snapped his lips closed. Words were failing him under the scrutiny of his new peers. Instead he just sighed and gave the boy a "please help me" sort of look.

At first he thought he was being ignored by the new boy, which deflated his spirit and made him want to shrink into himself. Tall and awkward he stood, trying not to stare at whatever Will was writing, attempting to regain his pride and reclaim the courage he spent coming over here to talk with him. Once described by one of his schoolteachers as "kind, but shy and unapproachable," Ailwyn was managing to display all three of these qualities right now, unable to force any words to pass his lips. He wondered why he allowed himself to take this job. He heard his name being spoken in the backdrop of conversation, feeling his throat close even more, and wished not for the first time that he was somewhere else.

"I... I... I'm supposed to show you around." Shocked that he managed to form a coherent sentence, he looked to Will for his reaction, wondering if the words weren't all in his mind. However, after a moment, he decided that he really did speak, and let out a sigh. Ailwyn supposed that once the two of them were alone, away from all their gossiping classmates, he would be able to talk to him more casually. There was no doubt that he was already giving Will a bad impression of their school, he just hoped he could salvage the impression of himself he was making.

"At lunch or after school or... whenever." Being a part of no extra curricular clubs or in any groups, Ailwyn had a lot of free time. He assumed that once Will was informed of all the great teams they had here, he was destined to join at least one, and would have all his spare time taken up with devotion to his hobbies. It made Ailwyn somewhat sad, because at least now he wasn't the only one who was alone. Shaking his head, he cleared his mind of these thoughts, silently wishing Will all the best at their school.

Will watched. He did. Maybe too closely, he gazed upon the tall lank shrinking away before him. The corner of his lip pulled up at the stranger's declaration of purpose. It made a bit more sense then, the blond awaiting some reaction Will hadn't been privy to give. Though he was wholeheartedly appreciative that the boy's sentence ended with "whenever" because he felt himself crawling out of his skin at the whispers floating about. "How about now." It was a statement. He'd had no question in mind. Only that he could gladly walk out of the classroom and not look back.

He stood up from his desk, swinging his bag over his shoulder with a quick motion and leading the other out of the room--his fingers pinching the fabric of the boy's uniform as they went. The door clicked closed behind them and Will expelled a mixed sigh. Of relief and freedom. "Is it always like that?" He looked up at the taller and ruffled his bangs away from his eyes. "I mean. With new people coming in?" It was Tokyo after all. Weren't they used to new students? He'd thought it would be easier here, yet things were off to an odd start, yet again.

He felt at ease being free of the classroom and could see that his tour guide didn't seem so intimidating now. Surely it was due to environmental influence that he'd appeared so stark before. "I didn't catch your name, what is it?" He inquired, righting his slacked posture and holding a hand out before him.

Will was quietly confident, it was noticeable even when he felt shy--carrying himself with some sort of inexplicable purpose, unseen by those around him. He was fairly apt to make decisions, be them rash or otherwise. But daring was his middle name after all, and even now he was contemplating skipping school to venture off into the real world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ailwyn was glad--no, more than glad, ecstatic, even-- to be leaving the room, allowing himself to be dragged out by the new boy. When the door shut, the sound of his classmates being cut off, Ailwyn pulled at the restrictive collar of his shirt in an attempt to regain the breath he had lost, looking apologetic. "Yeah, sorry about all of that," he said to Will, attempting another smile. This one came easier than the last grimace he forced out. "I don't know why they're so unwelcoming, but they're all talk anyways. New kids don't get bullied or anything. I hope it'll calm down soon."

"I'm Ailwyn," he replied to Will's inquiries, firmly shaking his hand. "I thought I introduced myself before, but I guess not." Thinking back on the last few minutes spent inside the room with all his peers, he couldn't distinguish one moment from another. He simply assumed that he had introduced himself, but it was entirely possible that an introduction slipped his mind.

"Anyways, nice to meet you." Ailwyn would be eternally grateful to this stranger for suggesting they go on their tour now instead of later. He didn't even consider it an option, and wasn't sure how he was going to survive the day if he didn't manage to get away from all those people. From his first impression of Will, Ailwyn thought he was nice. He seemed decent, not like most of the other people he knew. That could all change, and Ailwyn was very much aware of that, but since he had the new boy all to himself, he thought he might try to make an impression on him. Become friends, even.

"Ha! Me being bullied? I'd like to see that." Will's gaze was lit like a wildfire and he shook Ailwyn's firm hand, meeting his eye for a moment to gauge him. "You might have." Will added. "Though I was long gone in there. Couldn't hear myself think, really." he reached up to adjust his collar, popping it up and then folding it back down neatly. The new crisp fabric clicked with the motion. It seemed then, that Ailwyn wasn't as horribly impersonal as his first impression. This settled Will's nerves, for the moment, at least. "Nice to make your acquaintance as well." Will gave the blond a grin and gestured down the hall. "Shall we?" He adjusted the strap of his bag and glanced out the windows. Freedom called him.

"Lead the way." He mused, keeping himself in check. It was best he stay for the day. At least get to know the campus before bailing. Classes were no issue for him. He was a whiz kid. Naturally able to pass without trying. It was more of a curse. Allowing him to skip and fueling his ever growing fire. "Tell me about yourself." He stated into their silence, following behind Ailwyn before taking strides to walk at his side. It seemed he was committed to bothering the shy boy. Almost amused by the idea. Surely the class was gossiping Ailwyn's namesake for a reason.

As Ailwyn and the new boy walked through the school, he wondered who was giving who a tour. For the most part, he was following Will to wherever he wanted to go, giving a few shorts words on the classroom that inevitably existed behind each closed door. He spent most of the tour admiring Will's resolve and determination. It shocked him, this unspoken goal he seemed to have, and Ailwyn was almost inspired by it.

"You want to hear about me?" Talking about himself wasn't anything he liked doing, because in his mind, he always came across as a pretentious braggart, who had no real achievements in any of the petty hobbies he entertained himself with. "I have an older sister and a brother in university. I like poetry about nature, but can't write any, and I'm on the archery team. I like to cook and... That's about it." He flashed Will a shy smile, wondering what the other boy thought of him after disclosing this tremendous amount of personal information about himself.

"What about you?" he asked in return, clearing his throat and ignoring the nervousness that settled like stones in his stomach. He supposed eventually he would hear what the other people had to say about him, and he didn't need to embarrass himself in front of Will, but he feared it was too late. "You're probably much more interesting than me."

"Me? I'm not interesting, really." He replied, eyes flicking this way and that, absorbing as much detail as he could muster. He tipped his chin at Ailwyn's clearly awkward response, closing one eye at the other boy and drawing his arms up as if to aim a bow at the blond. "You like archery? Hmm?" He slowly cocked his right arm back, the invisible bow-string arching and his aim lining perfectly with his nose and back toward his ear before he released his fake arrow upon Ailwyn's person. "You're not nearly as drab as I'd thought." He added with a chuckle, back-stepping to face the taller as they meandered down the hallway. "And you can cook? How are the ladies not jumping all over you?" He teased, having to peer up a bit to meet Ailwyn's eye.

He gave a dramatic sigh, knowing that he should return the sentiment. Ailwyn had shared with him, and so he should share as well. "Lets see. What secrets could I let you in on...?" He pursed his lips at this, turning on his heel to face the staircase they were approaching. He found a game in words. Saying things in such a way that he hoped Ailwyn might wonder why he was so strange. Maybe even find Will too strange to be around. Testing the limits was really his forte. One might even call it a hobby at this point.

"I just moved back here. I lived in Tokyo when I was younger." he took the staircase and started down them. "I'm an only child. Real exciting stuff here." He took the steps in two's. "I can't cook. And I hate school. I've been trying to escape you this entire time." His lips gave a smirk and his knuckles paled against the stair railings as he gripped the corner and lept over them, landing spry on the floor beneath them. His pace quickened and he worked himself into a job, giving a glance back at Ailwyn. "Might wanna keep up if you don't want to lose track of me. I'm sure you'd get reprimanded by the professor if you lost the newbie so easily." Surely riling Ailwyn up was his new favorite activity.

Ailwyn endured the imaginary arrow being fired at him, then felt the pierce of another arrow as Will told him he wasn't as drab as he suspected. Drab? Was he really drab? Did he really come off this way? Shaking his head and trying not the let the light-hearted insult weigh him down, he managed to look at him with a small smile curving the corners of his lips. "I guess the ladies just don't like me, that's all." And, with all the qualities of a good listener, he let Will give a bare skeleton of an explanation to who he was and what he was doing here.

"I think you're very interesting," Ailwyn admitted, keeping pace with him, his long legs able to comfortably stride beside him. "And if you want to leave, go ahead. I have half a mind to go with you." Thinking that his willingness to run away with his classmate might discourage Will from any further thoughts of rebellion, he looked at him, surveying his height and the strange determination on his face, as well as attempting to discern how he really felt around this boy. Most people he met were neutral about him at first, and very easily slipped into either hating him or tolerating him. So far, Will seemed to be doing neither, and it made Ailwyn a little uneasy.

He continued touring him around the school, managing to keep track of him. On some occasions he had to grab Will by the collar of his shirt to keep him from wandering off, but other than that he had an almost easy time taking him through the school. When finally he stopped leading him around, his fingers constantly curled around the sleeve of Will's shirt, they were standing in the cafeteria. "Do you want me to buy lunch for you?" he asked, thinking it the courteous thing to do.

No use at all, running. Ailwyn's legs had no quarrel with Will's lazy jog, though he was hardly convinced the boy wanted to escape with him. Had he really wanted to, they'd have exited the building by now, however he found himself being monitored and directed gently instead. He gave a great sigh at Ailwyn's collar tugging, yet this became a game in this as well; purposely finding reasons for the other boy to redirect him. Didn't Ailwyn ever get annoyed? Clearly he had the patience of a saint, as Will's endless energy bounced the two around the school in no particular manner. "I'm sure the ladies love you. I mean look at you." Will gestured up and down Ailwyn's slender frame. "You've got the the blond thing going for you. And I mean, you're tan. You cook. What's not to love?" He rattled off these things, fingers folding down with each statement as he started down a hallway which Ailwyn's delicate tug kept him from entering. "Fine." he muttered, a low growl in his throat.

The cafeteria bustled. Will stood staring at the crowds of students, and blinked down realizing Ailwyn still had hold of his sleeve even as he asked to buy Will lunch. What a gentleman. He raised a brow and gave a smirk to himself before scampering off toward the line. Tch. Ailwyn buy him food? He'd purchase the whole cafeteria just to embarrass the other boy. Surely Ailwyn didn't truly find him interesting. Probably just annoying. Which seemed to be what he was going for at the moment. Before the taller boy caught up, Will had purchased an entire tray stacked with almost everything that was being served. He purchased an iced coffee for himself and one for Ailwyn, though he made sure to get a water bottle, as he wasn't sure the other boy even favored coffee.

"You pick a seat. I dunno anyone here." He directed, nodding at the many students passing by. He pursed his lips at Ailwyn. Watching him. How could girls not like this guy? He seemed more than likeable to Will. Didn't girls like the quiet, mysterious types? The gentle and chivalrous guy? He hadn't noticed that he was furrowing his brow at Ailwyn, just that he couldn't understand how this kid could be so in the dark about his assets. Clearly he needed some guidance, but Will wondered if he was just super weird and yet to show his true colors. He'd know in due time. As currently, Ailwyn was his one and only acquaintance.

Ailwyn sighed heavily, a single sign of annoyance, when Will pursued the subject that so closely tied in to why Ailwyn didn't have many friends. He was flattered that Will thought he deserved the attention of ladies, but he knew firsthand that people most often looked for what they don't like in someone before they saw the positives, and often by this point, they don't see anything good. And when Will tugged away from him, he stood alone among all the people, an awkward giant, half convinced that Will wasn't going to come back. To his surprise, though, he did.

As Will instructed, Ailwyn fought his way through the dense crowd of people that constantly populated the cafeteria, managing to snatch a table for himself and the other boy. Settling down in an uncomfortable metal chair, he finally glanced at the mountain of food Will had brought over on a tray. "How much did you buy?" he asked, awestruck and dumbfounded. He didn't even know they served this much food here. "Do you plan to eat all of this?" Ailwyn looked at Will, examining his small frame closely. He thought it wasn't possible for him to eat half of what was there, but knowing the other boy, he would probably try to eat it all just to spite him.

"So do you do anything other than attempting to escape school in your free time? Any sports or teams that you want to be on? We have a lot here, enough for everyone," Ailwyn said after a while, hating the false advertisement-like phrase he was supposed to use to rope the new kid in to getting involved in something. It was part of his job to promote the school and its programs, after all.

He managed it. To get under Ailwyn's skin. Though not as severely as any normal tempered person. He grinned at the boy's sigh and departed, returning with his tray and judgements. Ailwyn seemed surprised at his return and Will raised a brow at him, though he followed after the taller--as he was not so easily lost within the crowd. The reached an empty table and Will placed the tray down, the water bottle rolling off and across the table's top. He squirmed in place, just able to place the two coffee's down from the crook of his arm to lean forward and catch the escaped beverage. He gave a sigh of relief at his achievement and flopped into the metal chair with a thud.

"All of it." He stated simply. "I bought everything they had. I didn't know what you liked." He added, sliding the water bottle in front of Ailwyn, and then an iced coffee following suit. He moved the tray between them and looked it over with pursed lips. "Obviously it's not all for me." He snorted, picking up a bread roll that glistened with melted butter and turning it in his hand. "Hmm. Seems edible..." He took a single bite and motioned toward Ailwyn, holding the roll out to the other boy. "Want some?" He asked, thinking himself rude to pick first even though he'd gotten it all because of Ailwyn in the first place.

He stared up at his new friend and his brow knitted at the statement. Like Ailwyn just recited a line from a script. "Um..." his gaze landed on the table. "I mean. I do a lot of things." He muttered, confused by the pick-up line. It was like an advertisement. "I am applying for a job at this coffee shop." He told him, drumming his fingers before looking back up to meet Ailwyn's eye. "Do you have any recommendations?" He asked him then, tipping his head against the palm of his hand, his elbow planted firmly.

"I think I would like some," Ailwyn decided, beginning to pick through the pile of food. He pulled a plastic container of salad out from beneath a bag of chips and inspected it closely. He opened the lid and looked at the wilted green produce inside, eyes narrowed slightly. After determining that it was good to eat, he found the corresponding plastic fork and stabbed the leaves, giving them another once-over before devouring them. "The food here isn't toxic most days, and is actually quite delicious," Ailwyn told him conversationally, having another mouthful of salad.

Ailwyn considered Will's request for recommendations, tapping his sharp chin with the plastic fork. "You could join the archery club," Ailwyn suggested with a cheesy grin and a thumbs up. "It's amazing. There's also a track team if you like that sort of thing, or less physically demanding groups like the literature club. I think we also have a short story club, but I'm not sure about that. You don't hear about them anymore, but I'm sure you could find someone who knows better than I do."

Once finished with the small tub of salad, he continued to scrounge through the pile, managing to lighten the load considerably throughout the lunch hour. "Which coffee shop are you applying to?" he inquired curiously, leaning his elbow on the table when he had finished feasting on the greasy cafeteria food. It wasn't such a bad prospect to be looking for somewhere to work at part time, and he had been toying with the thought for quite a while. He was sure he knew which shop Will was referring to, and had at one point entertained the idea of working there himself. Now that Will was applying, though, that might seem a little on the creepy side.

"Salad eh?" Will watched Ailwyn inspect the lettuce and give it a quick glare. He took the forgotten chips and popped the bag open loudly, fishing out a cheese puff and looking at Ailwyn's lips move as he spoke. "The food here seems okay. Pretty westernized compared to most schools here in Japan. Guess that's the perk of a private school?" He shrugged, lips curling up at the blonde's munching. Something about the other boy was amusing and yet he couldn't quite put his finger on it. Something unspoken. A secret he couldn't know.

Will tapped the top of his iced coffee, scrounging for a straw and stabbing the the drink, blinking over at Ailwyn who was contemplating his request. He chuckled at the response and imagined himself in archery club, his chest heaving with more laughter at Ailwyn's goofy attempt to reel him in. As the other boy listed off more choices, he wondered if being in a club at all was really his style. He'd always been a typical loner, yet he felt casual enough around his new friend to consider it. "I could give archery a shot... no pun intended there." He smirked. "Though you'll have to teach me. I'm not so well acquainted with much aside from illicit activity." he teased then, as the tray slowly emptied between the two of them.

Ailwyn's interest seemed at genuine as ever, and Will found himself inclining toward the other boy who'd propped his elbow on the table top. His face wrinkled for a moment and he righted his posture, correcting his lean a look of confusion taking his features for a mere moment. What was he doing? In his efforts to make Ailwyn feel awkward he'd only managed to make himself uncomfortable. "Err...um. The one in the city where all the guys work. I should know the name..." He was drawing a blank and he fumbled with his hands before turning away to gather himself.

His eyes sidled over the crowd and while he wasn't really looking at anything particular, he realized then that a girl two tables over was staring him down. His brow furrowed and he met her eye, almost as a challenge, though sighed aloud with immediate regret as she stood up. He turned to look at Ailwyn. "Who is that?" He inquired, motioning toward the female heading in his direction. Her hair swayed at her hips and despite being quite attractive, he didn't like feeling as though she recognized him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holding back a fit of giggles at Will's grand archery pun, Ailwyn offered no help to Will, who was struggling with the name of the shop he was applying for. Rather than for the sake of being difficult, he kept silent out of some deep fear that he would give the wrong name and be ridiculed for it. Although he didn't assume Will was the judging type, Ailwyn's blatant shyness kept him from allowing any words to leave the prison of his throat, where many phrases had gotten trapped and never managed to escape. Crinkling his brow slightly, he tried to push his panicked thoughts away. It felt like he was making good progress with Will, perhaps more than he had made with anyone in a long time. With this in mind for comfort, he finally opened his mouth to speak, but found that Will was distracted, watching something across the crowded room.

"Hm? Who's who?" Ailwyn asked, twisting in his chair to try and locate the person in question. It took only a moment before he saw the girl coming towards them, and he raised an thin eyebrow in confusion. "I don't know who that is," he admitted, turning back to Will, feeling pleased with the ability to freely confess this to him. "I think she's fairly new as well, but I don't know her."

Despite feeling gratified at the openness he experienced around Will, he couldn't ignore the tension he felt in his shoulders, the racing of his heart, and the tightness in his chest as he knew the girl was approaching them. Well, approaching Will. He had seen her around before, but never had a reason to speak with her. Ailwyn briefly wondered if she was coming to take Will away, before he had the chance to make an archer out of him, and before he had the chance to call him a friend. Shaking his head, he tried to clear his mind of these thoughts, knowing that he was being irrational. Instead, he forced his gaze up from the empty tray between him and Will, surveying the girl who was now very near, and most likely aware that he was staring.

She parted the crowd between them, like the sea parting before Moses, and Will looked toward Ailwyn for a moment and back in the female's direction. She sauntered dramatically. In her mind she must be on the runway. Super model or something. Otherwise Will couldn't see a reason for the exaggerated swing of her hips. He heard Ailwyn's responses, that she was new, that he didn't know her, and before he could utter a word...There she was. "Staring, are we?" She purred down at Will's seated form, before sliding into the chair at his side. "Hardly." He stated flatly, giving her a once over that could be mistaken for attraction.

Her hair glistened obnoxiously. Or maybe it was merely annoying to Will and she was a goddess among men. He wasn't so convinced by it all. She crossed her legs at the ankle and darted sharp eyes in Ailwyn's direction. "You seem more lively than usual, Ailwyn." His name dripped from her tongue like venom and for a moment Will wasn't quite sure if he'd imagined it. That and he was still assessing her approach in general. She was eyeing Ailwyn down as though he weren't fit to walk the Earth and Will found himself even more confused. Though he surely wasn't amused by her manners. "Oh, did you come over here to harass Ailwyn?" He tipped his cheek against the palm of his hand, elbow supporting as he stared at the girl's sharp nose.

"Not at all." She mewed sweetly, pulling her gaze from the blonde and turning it toward Will's unamused face. "Then why are you here, wasting your time?" He drummed his fingers against the sharp bone of his cheek and she watched him for a moment, silent save for the gears clicking in her mind. Her lip twitched up, glossed to perfection, and she narrowed her eyes, Will's dark hair visible in her light irises. "I'd have thought you'd remember me, William." He wrinkled his nose at her, the mention of his full name, and the idea that he'd known her somehow clearly annoyed him. He pulled it together quickly and sighed, sitting upright and brushing bangs from his face. "I don't remember you. Maybe a name would help."

She pursed her lips and tapped her chin with her index finger. "Mmm. You'll have to find that out, now won't you!" she replied, batting lashes and rising up from her seat. She patted her skirt against her thighs and looked at the two boys once more. "Nice chat, Will....
Ailwyn." She gave a quick wave and skipped off into the crowd of students and Will swiveled in his seat to stare at the blonde boy in utter confusion. "What... What was that?" He was completely taken aback by such a stark woman, let alone someone so outright rude. Despite this, he couldn't deny that the school had a secret. And the secret had something to do with Ailwyn. And he blinked at his friend for several minutes as if the answers would maybe appear on his skin if he just happened to gaze hard enough.

Swallowing thickly, his throat clicking and his mouth dry, Ailwyn stared down at his lap, where his hands were folded neatly throughout the entire exchange. He didn't dare look at the girl, even as she addressed him, and didn't look up from his lap for a long time after she left. While he was honest with Will when he said he didn't know her, there was no doubt that Will would think him a liar now. He wasn't sure what problem she had with him, but Ailwyn assumed her hatred was passed down to her from some others, who had reason to dislike him. He was so wrapped up in his own panicked thoughts that for a moment, he didn't notice Will was speaking to him.

"Oh... I don't know what that was," Ailwyn admitted in a soft voice, his heart pounding and his breathing coming rapidly. He stood suddenly, his hand shooting out to grip the bottle of water which Will was so kind to buy for him to enjoy with lunch. "I'm going to go get some fresh air," the boy told Will, ripping the plastic cap off the bottle with such force that he sent it flying into the abyss of people, not even considering going after it. "I would like it if you came with me."

Not waiting to see if his friend would accompany him, Ailwyn managed to escape the room that suddenly became ten times more crowded and threatened to suffocate him, pushing through one of the doors of the school into the silent outdoors. When the door swung shut behind him, all noise from inside the school was cut off, and for a moment the boy stood, eyes closed, breathing deeply, as he let his trademark calmness take over once again. Little by little, the creases of his brow smoothed out, and the expression on his face flattened into something neutral. Ailwyn's shoulders slumped, released suddenly of their tension, and for a long time Ailwyn stood absolutely still.

He was confused. He was confused and scared a little more than usual, not because he didn't deal with taunts on a daily basis, but because the flashy girl seemed different. Dangerous, even. That was a ridiculous thought, and he knew it, especially since they were in school and still practically children, but the worry remained at the front of his mind, continuing to nag at him. Only then did he realize he abandoned Will in the school, and Ailwyn whirled around to look for him, his eyes searching as he raised the open bottle of water to his lips and had a long drink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back