• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Coding questions

ewolf20

the aspiring roleplayer
Hi, I have a question to make. Is it possible to have tabs that are on the side of the menu or is it not possible?

Hi, I have a question to make. Is it possible to have tabs that are on the side of the menu or is it not possible?

If you are referring to custom CSS/HTML designs for your post content, yes tabs like this are possible.

If you mean for the RPN site itself to have the tabs (forums, support, etc), then it is not possible.

Sorry to hear.  Perhaps there's something else you can find using Google. :)  Tabs are really heard to create with HTML.  You might be better off learning something easier, first.

You can actually easily manipulate the position of the tabs by using negative margins and the like. The only issue is that online html testers have different margins from RPN posts, so you'll have to adjust it specifically for the site. >x>

Edit: Just wanted to say that this method is probably pretty messy.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can actually easily manipulate the position of the tabs by using negative margins and the like. The only issue is that online html testers have different margins from RPN posts, so you'll have to adjust it specifically for the site. >x>

You use online html testers? You should try a downloadable one. They're usually better.

The only issue for using a different editor, for me, is it having a different width to the site. I've never really encountered problems with margins.

But how?

All you sugges5know are great but I feel it might not help me in the long run. I hope more ideas to by.

Also the one you posted uses JavaScript. I wanted to know if it was possible to make vertical tabs with css and html

At the very top of your code (before the <style> tag and everything), you have to put some text in order for the CSS to work on rpn. A lot of people have been using <p style="display: none;">random message here</p> to get it done. You can also just use empty <p> tags.

Edit:

@IctoraPost

Call me stupid, but it never occurred to me that I could download a separate html tester. :o

That and I don't use javascript/jquery, since I only learned html for rpn, so I thought an online tester would suffice. Do you have any downloadable ones that you suggest?

Sometimes, when I post a code on rpn, it screws with the margins I set? I always use px instead of percent, so it isn't the width being screwy. The issue is most noticeable when you view the code on different themes, although it's not always an issue. I don't have this problem when going from html tester to html tester, so I think it just has to do with the fact that I'm pasting code into a post rather than a whole site page?

@ewolf20 Javascript should be avoided and is actually not really supposed to be used regarding customizing your posts.  It should only be CSS/HTML.

I also highly suggest that you review some online resources outside of RPN for CSS/HTML to learn more about how it all works on a basic level.  The reason for this is because using CSS/HTML on RPN without understanding some of these basics can result in you actually changing RPN's appearance and possibly even function depending on the CSS/HTML used.

Currently, you may wish to use either some pre-made codes that function on RPN already or request codes from some very helpful members such as @orphic and @Ambela.  You can easily modify these existing codes to help learn how CSS/HTML functions specifically here on RPN and how people code for the site.

I know you are very eager to prettify your posts and content, but some patience is needed to learn what you are requesting.  There are only a handful of coders on RPN who do these coded designs because we can and are willing to share them, and while some may be willing to help guide you, please understand that they are not required to do any specific coding.  

i know...i know. i might as well join the majority of people who can't code for poop. i guess this means it can't be done. see ya. :|

i know...i know. i might as well join the majority of people who can't code for poop. i guess this means it can't be done. see ya. :|

It just takes some time and patience to learn.  CSS/HTML is actually very easy compared to other coding languages.  There are many other ways to make your posts attractive without using CSS/HTML, such as what was did before the big HTML release.  You can copy/paste content from Google Docs and retain quite a bit of formatting; custom colors, tables and such.

Sometimes, when I post a code on rpn, it screws with the margins I set? I always use px instead of percent, so it isn't the width being screwy. The issue is most noticeable when you view the code on different themes, although it's not always an issue. I don't have this problem when going from html tester to html tester, so I think it just has to do with the fact that I'm pasting code into a post rather than a whole site page?

It's not just you.  RPN themes have parent elements that will alter the font size, color, margins, line height and so on unless we specify it in the code.  It's why I have gone back and fixed a few of mine since I remember there were different themes.  There isn't much we can do there, but then again I've not put anything with !important attached to see if it overrides those styles.  I would have to see where in the specific theme it contains those styles and then work it so it only applies in those themes.  -cough too lazy for that cough-

Disclaimer: I'm not a coder, I just listen to those who are.

It's my understanding that using fixed widths is one of the things that can cause wider-than-the-page posts. Not everyone has the same screen size, of course, with many on phones and even computer users having different monitor sizes. We generally recommend percentages as a way to avoid this.

Disclaimer: I'm not a coder, I just listen to those who are.

It's my understanding that using fixed widths is one of the things that can cause wider-than-the-page posts. Not everyone has the same screen size, of course, with many on phones and even computer users having different monitor sizes. We generally recommend percentages as a way to avoid this.

Ah, I make sure to place an extra div with an overflow property around my code so that the it doesn't extend outside of the post box, so it's not a problem. ^ ^;

It's not just you.  RPN themes have parent elements that will alter the font size, color, margins, line height and so on unless we specify it in the code.  It's why I have gone back and fixed a few of mine since I remember there were different themes.  There isn't much we can do there, but then again I've not put anything with !important attached to see if it overrides those styles.  I would have to see where in the specific theme it contains those styles and then work it so it only applies in those themes.  -cough too lazy for that cough-

I always specify the font size, color, line-height, etc, so it isn't much of a problem, but even when I put a set margin, it's always off by 5-20px or so? It usually isn't a big problem, but it ruins my code sometimes (I use negative margins often).

i did it!!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nunc ultrices consectetur euismod. Suspendisse commodo odio eget eleifend maximus. Sed rutrum laoreet massa, in varius erat accumsan ac. Pellentesque enim leo, fermentum eget nulla a, viverra accumsan magna. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Nulla auctor nisl arcu, nec vestibulum arcu lobortis vel. Proin vel tincidunt augue. Sed ultricies fringilla ullamcorper. Phasellus a vehicula purus, sit amet vulputate elit. Nam tempor tellus nec velit dictum accumsan. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nam consequat quam at ante commodo laoreet. Vestibulum interdum turpis at iaculis efficitur. Praesent commodo ligula nunc, in sollicitudin ante tempor ac. Cras vestibulum nec ex sit amet porttitor. Aenean euismod tristique mi et semper. Quisque vitae interdum erat. Praesent viverra volutpat interdum. Aenean elementum dui id tellus mattis ultricies. Nam urna nulla, varius vel mi et, vestibulum malesuada odio. Nunc luctus enim vitae massa sodales, ac eleifend libero efficitur. Cras lacinia eget sapien tempor consectetur. Pellentesque sit amet sem eu eros maximus rhoncus. Sed in massa urna. Sed convallis nibh in hendrerit efficitur. Fusce semper tincidunt orci, eu porttitor nibh aliquet sit amet. Nulla congue mauris felis, viverra scelerisque ex dignissim vitae. Ut in est rutrum, laoreet tellus sit amet, ornare nisi. Etiam ac tellus sapien. Nulla semper augue lorem, convallis mollis elit luctus nec. Fusce suscipit luctus nulla nec pretium. Aenean sapien ipsum, dignissim eget augue nec, rutrum aliquam felis. Integer vel consectetur tellus, non condimentum tellus. Aenean id turpis et dolor laoreet vehicula. Aliquam lobortis efficitur diam ac efficitur.

hey, i have another question, can you create a letter like you did with using the old bbcode?

hey, i have another question, can you create a letter like you did with using the old bbcode?

You'll have to be more specific. Letter as in a single letter?  Letter as in a letter written to a person (I sent them a letter.)?

You'll have to be more specific. Letter as in a single letter?  Letter as in a letter written to a person (I sent them a letter.)?

like this

background-color: #e6d250; background-image: url("https://www.transparenttextures.com/patterns/natural-paper.png");

i don't know to implemment it

like this

background-color: #e6d250; background-image: url("https://www.transparenttextures.com/patterns/natural-paper.png");

i don't know to implemment it

You place it into the div (style or class).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back