Other (Closed)

This can go in multiple directions, but it’s much like using a spray bottle full of water to a cat. They dislike it and therefore won’t do what ever the act they are doing(if it registers) or putting a dogs nose into the mess it created.

Using the rule to hands is just another obedience training, you know you’d get hit and that it would hurt. So you wouldn’t do the thing that made you get hit. However kids are smart and will find loop holes or test the left and right lateral limits lol. Ehhh hopefully this helped ish?!

Eight and she's getting hit with a ruler? Wow, she seems a little bit old for that. I thought she was a toddler! What is she touching that she isn't supposed to? I would think at that age you should be able to talk to her and explain things. This said as someone with an 8 month old baby btw.

I would say this is more of a cultural thin than a race thing...

I actually read something interesting on why younger generations tend to shy away from these methods more and more.

Not gonna explain the whole article but yeah...

Yeah, makes sense I dunno maybe I was overreacting
Thanks for putting it into perspective
Anytime mate and I wouldn’t say you were overrating, it just shows you care a lot about your younger sister. That you don’t really wanna see harm come to her or she go through the same that you went through.

I would say this is more of a cultural thin than a race thing...

I actually read something interesting on why younger generations tend to shy away from these methods more and more.

Not gonna explain the whole article but yeah...
I understand that considering I'm Brazilian/Arabic and I got my fair share of beatings too. I'm just of the belief that if your kid is old enough to reason with, beatings should be more of a last resort. I only say this because all of my POC friends and I report that the beatings helped us to fear/respect our parents, yeah, but we still did all the things we were getting beaten for at the end of the day. Lol We were just more sneaky.

Edit: I should clarify that the white kids that didn't get any beatings and/or punishments were sometimes really terrifying so I don't know if all spanks should be off the table. I think some kids need it more than others. No judgement from me, I was just surprised.

Um, it's usually just yelling/screaming/cussing/ threats "to beat her" or I'll be asked to grab one of my belts as a scare tactic I suppose. Um, my parent says "talking doesn't help" "that's a white thing, were black and we don't do those types of things. Blah, blah, blah." Or she's gets her ipad and toys taken away and told to read until she's off punishment. I dunno maybe I am just overprotective
I personally hate that mentality that if you do X thing that it's "a white thing." If you're POC, you're POC and you shouldn't have to worry about not being "POC enough." Anyway, I understand that this is just how your parents are. I feel like they may be going about this the wrong way but I honestly have NO idea what goes on in your private lives, so I'm definitely not about to force my way of being on your parents or you. If it makes you feel better, you can try to talk to your sister when you guys are alone to see if you can help her act better. Like, ask her why she's doing whatever it is that is upsetting your mom, explain the consequences and just try to be a good sister for her. Your folks will do what they want but at least you can try to help if you're feeling bad for her. If your sister keeps pressing buttons after you've offered your support then she's just going to have to face the music...

I personally hate that mentality that if you do X thing that it's "a white thing." If you're POC, you're POC and you shouldn't have to worry about not being "POC enough." Anyway, I understand that this is just how your parents are. I feel like they may be going about this the wrong way but I honestly have NO idea what goes on in your private lives, so I'm definitely not about to force my way of being on your parents or you. If it makes you feel better, you can try to talk to your sister when you guys are alone to see if you can help her act better. Like, ask her why she's doing whatever it is that is upsetting your mom, explain the consequences and just try to be a good sister for her. Your folks will do what they want but at least you can try to help if you're feeling bad for her. If your sister keeps pressing buttons after you've offered your support then she's just going to have to face the music...

Yeah, I'll try that. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back