Closed.

Dhea froze at the sight of the 'skunk-bear' and promptly decided against fighting something when she was already worse for wear. She took careful steps to try and edge around the foul smelling beast.

Dhea stepped around the shrubbery with confidence. Luck had been with her that night, its presence apparent in her actions. Skirting around the skunk-bear was an easy task.

As the animal was left behind on its own business, the two could make camp for the night, a bit further down the road where bushes lent way to short grass. Dhea had a sleeping bag with her and while it would not be the most comfortable of sleeps, it would help her regain some energy. At this point she was also starving.

- Stop and make camp.
- Continue through the night.

Dhea decided to stop and make camp, because she needed to rest. As she set up her camp, she took a moment to eat.
She was exhausted and aching. The ground looked just as good as a four poster bed, if not even better.

She settled down, but she had not gone to sleep yet.

Dhea was not yet near Kristanti and she would have a way to go in the morning, but this path was better left to be traversed in the daylight anyway. She had managed to light a small fire under a tree and eat a bit of her provisions, some hard bread and cheese, with a few strips of meat. The Elvin watched her as she went about setting the fire and her sleeping bag, expression on his face saying that he wanted to continue walking. But he did not argue. Instead he sat close to the fire and took out his own provisions to eat in silence.

As the moon was raising high on the sky, the sleep caught Dhea. She would get a full night's sleep to recover from the day's hard trek, however sleeping among the shrubbery at the edge of the forest where every moment something moved and rustled, will be much rougher than sleeping in an actual bed.

--

Morning came and Ruven was on his feet already, nudging Dhea out of sleep.

"Come on. Hurry up." He commanded with a scowl, eager to be on his way.

--

The path led them through another alley and to the north. They had been walking for two hours, Ruven being silent the whole time, which left Dhea with her own thoughts to pass the time. Her thoughts were of the Crown primarily. She could feel it calling for her already, even though she had never seen it. It knew her name and it was waiting for her now, deep in the Fortress of Mampang. But, was it summoning her to rescue it and restore the balance of power to the Kingdoms? Or was it summoning her to her death and destruction, to place the final seal on the power of the Archmage?

The sun was rising higher on the sky and dusty heat rose from the earth everywhere. Dhea was still groggy from the awakening and was stumbling down the road, much slower than yesterday. Ruven was not showing any signs of tiredness, walking two steps in front of her, but his pace had slowed along with Dhea's, allowing her to catch up. Kristanti was just a kilometer ahead and she could see the figures of people mingling around the houses even in the heat of the morning.

- Go into Kristanti.
- Go around it.

Dhea looked at the city, thinking about gathering more supplies for her journey. She wondered if she could find more people to help her.
She shook her head, trying to shake off some of the grogginess that lingered.
She even walked a little faster, as to not feel like she was weighing them both down.

Admittedly, she was rather sick of the silence between her and Ruven. So, with a sigh, she spoke up.
"Did I do something wrong? Other than magic?"

"I am guiding you only because it's my duty. I want to get this over with and be back to my tribe. No one said anything about having to be friendly." He said in a tone that left no room to argue.

239204f4b89b30f13e65f515c0fb74f3.jpg

They approached Kristanti. Smoke was rising from the chimneys. Even though it was a warm summer day, the people needed the fire to cook and it looked like everyone was doing so diligently. One of the buildings more than most, a larger house on two floors that could have been an inn. The houses had stone bases and were hard set and sturdy, with roofs made out of thatched grass and thick leaves.

There was more than one street running to the center of the village, or rather, it could be called a small town. But, something was amiss. It looked like this place could have been rich once, but its heart had been scooped away. There was litter on the streets, discarded wood and leaves and piles of ash. The people they passed by were much cleaner looking than the Cantopani residents, though, and they did not pay them much attention as they strode into the center of the town.

"Hill Dwellers." Ruven spoke. "That's how the residents of the Shamutanti region are called." He frowned, looking around with disapproval, like he did not want to associate with them, though he did not voice any concerns.

As they walked into the center they saw that larger building, the inn, right in front of them. It was now clear that many houses in this town were long ago abandoned, windows laid opened and doors broken down. But the remaining people still went about their work. On the right side of the main road was a house with wide opened doors, raised voices coming out of it.

"An ale house. I'm surprised it's still open." Ruven said. His expression lightened a bit at the notice.

- Go to the inn for a meal/room.
- Find information or work in the ale house.

Dhea took a moment, her eyes narrowing in thought. She wanted information on the area, but she felt as if doing a bit of work would loosen tongues. She felt as if these people would be willing to trade a fair amount for honest work.

So, she went to the ale house for work.

Walking down the single dirt road, Dhea found the alehouse quick enough. Voices could be heard coming out of it and it was clear that the place was much busier than the inn. Probably because it was packed with locals, serving as the only entertainment in this forsaken town.

Ruven had followed suit, close behind her, his expression for some reason lightening at the prospecting of visiting the ale house.

517efda00cd11b4a3fb78fbe56e5b275.jpg

The smell of brewed beer greeted her as she stepped to the opened doors. Several groups of the residents were talking and drinking inside. Many heads turned toward Dhea as she entered, their gazes suspicious. One of them, presumably the owner, judging by the apron and the haste he showed in greeting her, approached and nodded respectfully.

"Welcome to Kristanti. What can I get for you?" Everyone already knew that she was a stranger to the Hills and it seemed that most people decided that she could not be trusted, at least judging by their stares. Having an Elvin companion did not help her case.

- Greet the owner and order something.
- Ask the owner about work.
- Go talk with the residents.

Dhea smiled at the owner, her tone rather polite.
"Hello. I was actually wondering if there was any work available."
She clasped her hands in front her, her general body language non-threatening. She was going to try her damnedest to not start any trouble.

"I don't know what kind of work I'd find for a fine traveller as yourself." The owner answered, rubbing his hands together, his expression a bit pained. He thought for a moment about it, looking around as if trying to find something, anything, or else he would embarrass himself. "Can you pour drinks? I have a lot of patrons here today and only two hands." He smiled at her, but then sighed again, a blush creeping on his withered cheeks. "Unfortunately, I cannot pay much. A couple of coins at best."

Dhea had the option to take the offer for work that would probably last for the end of the day and earn her enough for a meal at most. She could also refuse and talk with the locals, or order a drink and be on her way.

"I'll take a mug of ale." Ruven seemed to be decided on his activities. He went ahead to the bar and sat among the locals, who instantly moved away from him, their expression slightly frightened. The innkeeper nodded to him, but he was still waiting for Dhea to decide.

- Work.
- Drink.
- Talk.
- Leave.

Dhea rubbed the back of her neck, thinking. She wanted to help the man, but she also felt that there would be more opportunities if she went and talked to the locals.
Preferably with a drink in hand.
She offered him a smile.
"I think I might like a drink. A mug of ale, if you wouldn't mind. And if you need anymore help, I'll be happy to lend a hand."

She went over to the bar, deciding to sit near Ruven.

The owner of the alehouse nodded. "We have fresh brewed ale here. Only one gold piece. You will love it." He nodded proudly and then went in the back room to get her order.

As she sat at the counter the other Hill Dwellers kept on watching her. There was nothing special to do there except watch them in return. There were two men on each side of them. And older man close to her, and a younger man on the far side of the counter. The old man looked much like the battered old carcass, the kind of washed up half-dead people that resided in the Hills. His face was covered in wrinkles that stood testimony to the hard life he led, but there was a glint of life yet in his beady eyes. The younger man on her right was dark skinned and tired looking, with sunken eyes and a mop of hair. There was something not quite sane in his look.

"Here's your ale." The owner returned, setting a mug of thick yellow ale in front of her. The scent was very strong, yet not bad.

- Talk to the old man.
- Talk to the young man.
- Drink and go.

Dhea didn't look at the young man again. The glimmer of not-quite-sane is his eyes, in her mind, meant that there was a chance that he wasn't going to make any sense or have any useful information. Instead, she turned the old man and thought about what she was going to say.

As her mind worked, she sipped at her ale. After a moment or two, she spoke.
"Hello. I have a few questions about the area."
She shifted, so her body was fully facing the old man.
"Has anyone or anything odd passed through recently? What can you tell me about the Hills?"

The old man raised his mug in salute. "Stranger!" He greeted. "Nothing if note happens in he Hills. That is once you get used to Goblins and cannibals!" Then he cackled for himself like he just told an amazing joke. When his expression turned serious again, he sipped more of his ale, before continuing the conversation. "You are from Analand, ain't you? Not many come through the Cantopani gate. In either direction, if you know what I mean."

What this man had spoken was true. Analanders did not leave their lands since the Archmage's devastation started. They also did not let others come through their gates. These were grave times and the King had to protect his own people first, even though the Shamutanti residents suffered because of it.

"They say a war is coming." The old man continued. His face was gravely, like the dusty dirt that lined the streets of his town. "Something to do with the Crown." There was that clever glint in his eye again when he threw a sideways glance at Dhea.

- "Not if I can help it."
- "I have no idea what you're talking about."
- "I seek that Crown."

Dhea offered him a wry smile. She wasn't sure what to make of this man, but she chuckled nevertheless.
"Not if I can help it."
She sipped again at her mug, still with that wry smile on her lips. The old man was a curiosity, one that knew more than he likely let on.

"Is that so?" The canny old man replied, a curious glint in his eyes. "Well, it seems like you should be drinking on the house today, for the good of all of us! Both of you! Chanti!" He called to the innkeeper who directed his attention at the old man. "I'll cover the ale of our guests!"
"Thanks." Ruven raised his cup to the old man.
"Certainly. In Kristanti we are always glad to help out strangers!" The old man laughs, merrily raising his cup. "Cheers!"

- Ask him what lies beyond Kristanti.
- Drink your beer and leave.

Dhea laughs, raising her mug in response.
"Thank you."
She grins, before drinking again. She exhaled, thinking. She decided quickly that asking about what lies beyond Kristanti.
"I have to ask, what lies beyond here? It would help quite a lot to know."

"There are two paths beyond Kristanti." The old man answered. "One takes you past Alianna's home - and you will have to have your wits about you if she's there. The other path leads into the hills and Lia-Ki - the domain of the great ones. Neither path is pleasant, Analander, but whichever one you choose I wish you the best of luck and may Sindla watch over you." Then he cackled for himself again. "Fat load of good my good wishes will do you if someone decides to split your skull!"

The crowd at the inn was starting to dwindle out. Ruven had finished his drink and was on his feet now, stretching his muscles and eager to continue. With a wave back at the old man Dhea and Ruven continued through the opened doors. Dhea looked left and right, trying to figure out where to go from there, when she realised that the man was behind her, tugging on her sleeve. Before she could say anything he pressed a fruit into her hands.

"Bomba." He said with a grin. "I grow them myself. Good for the stomach." He patted her belly not very gently and with a laugh strolled away, swaying slightly. Bomba is a thick skinned fruit that kept well and will be highly nourishing when she decides to eat it. It is oddly heavy though.

Midday had passed and the heat was relentless. It was probable that, if they continued on their way now, the night would catch them on the road again, far away from any settlement. But it also seemed a waste to do nothing for half a day in this small town.

- Leave Kristanti.
- Find an inn and continue the journey tomorrow.

Dhea decided against spending any more time in the small town. It would be more sensible for her to continue on her journey and leave Kristanti.
She felt as if she'd learned enough from talking with the old man. She also hoped that she'd be able to avoid any conflict on her way down whichever path she chose.

As the two of them left Kristanti, deciding not to spend any more time there, passing by the last rows of houses which were mostly abandoned and almost fully collapsing, they emerged onto a fork in the road. There was a clearing there and a sign communicating where the two paths led. The western one continued into a forest, this was the one that would lead them toward Dhumpus, according to Dhea's map. The northern path led toward Lia-Ki. She knew nothing of that town, it was never mentioned in Analand, but it was drawn on her map. It was also supposedly ruined and the old man spoke about the "great ones" living there.

Just as Dhea emerged on the crossroads she felt a strange presence. Something tugged at her cloak, an invisible hand pulling her toward the forest. The emotion she felt was urgency. Desperation. Someone needed help in that forest. But, Ruven's voice dispersed the feeling.

"We are not going through Meddiki forest." He said, his statement sounding quite final. "There's a witch living in there and I'm not eager to cross her path." He gestured to the northern path. "This way is longer, but we'll still be able to get to Dhumpus before the day is over." Of course, these could be just superstitious stories. Ruven would have to follow her to the forest anyway, if she chose to do it.

- Go west.
- Go north.

Dhea shot him a look, before crossing her arms over her chest. She didn't even bother saying anything as she turned west.
If the feeling that had washed over her was real, she wouldn't feel right leaving someone in need of help.
If it happened to be a trap, then she would pay the consequences.
And let Ruven have his 'I told you so' moment after they'd escaped said trap.

"Of course you'd go to meet your own kind." Ruven said, rolling his eyes. He was reluctant to follow her down the path she chose, but he still did so. Out of curiosity or a sense of duty, she couldn't say.

Kristanti was surrounded by several miles of fields. It was a filthy town set into a bowl of mud. The road Dhea took led her through the lines of sun-baked crops. This was the second day of her journey and the muscles in her legs felt lean and strong from so much walking. For a short while the sun was beating down on her furiously, until she stepped into the shade of the trees on the forest's edge, thankful for the relief. The forest was cool and still. Nothing seemed to move in it and the tug she felt was gone.

Several hours passed by uneventfully. Ruven grumbled at times, for a change walking behind her now, reluctance apparent in his step. He hadn't been this insecure the previous day. It seemed that this path was never fully explored and it certainly was not popular among the locals. The path was overgrown by bushes and shrubs in some places. They moved slowly, but silently through the trees. Better to be careful and alert, who knew what wild animals prowled about those woods. Finally, they reached the fork in the road, deep in the forest.

There was a sign there - to serve as a guide, or a warning. The right path was marked for Dhumpus. The left turn pointed for Alianna. Neither way was walked through in quite a while, judging by the terrible state the paths were in. Dhea could sense the presence from the crossroads and it was quite clearly tugging her toward the left.

- Go right.
- Go left.

Dhea turned on her heel at the crossroads, before facing Ruven. She was about to say something rather rude, as she was sick of his attitude towards her. Instead, she bit her tongue and balled her fists, not giving him the satisfaction of her losing her temper.

She listened to the tug in her gut and went down the left path. She even ignored the little voice in the back of her head, claiming that it was going to be a trap.

afb39505b53a56fa13f1efe4a2494e91.jpg

The path here winded between trees that were particularly green and lush. They must have been closer to a river here, although Dhea did not hear any sounds of water nearby. About half an hour of walking through dappled shade later the two of them came across a nicely built cottage. There were flowers decorating its walls and a well tended garden all around it. This cottage looked more expensive than all of Kristanti. The path ended just in front of it.

"Witch's hut." Ruven hissed beside her, taking a step back. He looked very much like an irritated cat.

- Knock on the doors.
- Snoop around the hut.
- Go back.

Dhea rolled her eyes, before resisting the urge to flick his ear. She continued forward. If the witch was as dangerous as the Kristanti man had said, it would be a better idea to directly knock on the doors.
She didn't feel right snooping around the cottage, until she was sure that there was a reason for it.

With a steeling breath, and her hand resting casually on the hilt of her dagger, Dhea knocked sharply on the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back