• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Closed

Scripted Away

Factory for twisted tales and mysterious matters
giphy.gif

A gypsy girl with a knack of reading tarot cards, and seeing the future.
An English guy who has the tendency to get in trouble.
Brought together when the noble is sent out of London to hide from something he did, the two find unlikely friends in each other. As their relationship grows the gypsy begins to show him the secrets of her magical world.

I-would-too.gif

Leopold "Leo" Devereux
Male
25 years old
Son of a British Lord

Black hair
Jade green eyes
About 5'9 ft tall
Lean, wiry build

CnVx_AAUAAEJn2O.jpg

Leo is a flirty, sassy and funny guy, seemingly always positive and ready to get into the next trouble.
His troublemaker-personality however covers how bored he is of his life at home, and what a big dreamer he is.
Though it's not easy to catch him being serious, he can be very very serious when needed, or just plain scary.
When something once caught his attention, he won't let go until his curiosity is satisfied, even if it takes dumb or reckless actions.
He's a bit unorganized and sometimes comes late, or just skips what he doesn't want to do at the moment, but I the end it somehow always worked out for him.

1f7a9253d6f74a473248f360e675854f.jpg
His falcon Ebony, which delivers messages for him and is his constant companion and friend.

Last edited:
tumblr_o77xykIHy71rj4uo2o1_500.gif

Theodosia Motshan

Theo

tumblr_nf7fse5u5o1tucbz9o9_500.jpg

Black hair

Hazel eyes

5'6''

Thin/slight build

Theo has been touched by magic since she was born. It was said a gadje(outsider) had gotten into the camp while she was being born and stole half of her soul. When she was one her mother come to find Theo sleeping in her crib with an owl perched over her. When she was two Theo was reported multiple times to be playing with shadows in the fields. By the time she was three, the dreams had began to haunt her each night. The dreams of the future, her future, her families future, strangers futures, even farm animals. With a natural affinity for seeing the future, Theo was trained early with tarot cards and given the keys to the worlds magic.

Theodosia is a head strong girl, she believes in what she believes in, and she gets what she wants. One way or another. She dreams with her heart, and her dreams lead her heart, even if her dreams go against everything her culture teaches.

Romani, Roma, Gypsies. All of these words were associated to Theodosia and her people, and wherever they went everyone knew them. Thief's, vagabonds, magic, more names given to her people, and for good reason. It was the Roma way to do things the easy way; and for Theodosia that meant working as a tarot reader in the city during summer, bringing in traders and others to give her their money. And she would not want it any other way.

"Theodosia, how many times do I have to tell you, get up!" With a sharp kick in her side, Theo lurches from sleep on her pallet, her older sister standing over her, a baby in her arms. "Stupid girl, you are going to be late again. Father will not be happy if I tell him." Naomi(her sister) with a glare turns around and storms out of the tent, the flap shining bright light.

Theo was very late this time, but the dreams just kept dragging her in. Rising to her feet Theo pulls on a maroon, cotton dress. It was simple, had no sleeves, but paired with a blue head scarf, and another matching scarf around her waist she looked much more vibrant. Not bothering with shoes, Theo simply pulls on ankle bracelets made of gold and rubies, matching them with a bunch on long gold bangles up her arms, and a few gold and red necklaces.

In less than ten minutes the Roma girl is running through camp, trying to make it to town before her father actually noticed she had not set up shop yet. Every step she takes past a Gadje, their eyes directly on her, but by now she was used to it. Everywhere they went, people were always bound to stare. Slipping in to town Theo swipes an apple from a fruit vendor, not a soul noticing, and heads farther in. Every so often she would spot other Roma, each of them doing their own thing to gather money, and she would raise her hand in greetings while munching on the piece of fruit.

Theo's family has ran the same tent in the same spot every summer for the past twenty years. It was strange for Roma to do this, but it was what made them the most money. During the winter though, just after the first snow, the family packs up and leaves to somewhere warm. It had something to do with how their family was cursed around ice or something strange like that.

Pushing back the flap on the large black tent, Theo goes about setting up and lighting the candles inside. The tent was covered in rugs, blankets, pillows all different colors. It was Theo's favorite place to be. Running her hands over the material of the tent, she slips back outside, the sun already beating down on her tan skin. Today was going to be a good day, she just knew it.

"Hey, watch out where you're going!", a grumpy old man growled at the stranger, who just shuffled down the road leading to the marketplace.
"Sorry...", the stranger mumbled, his gaze constantly locked to the floor, the hood of his black cloak casting deep shadows over his face.
A strong breeze pulled on the fabric, and lastly blew the good off his gead, causing Leo to squint into the bright noon sunlight
Oddly enough, the entire man was soaked to the bones, even though it was warm and sunny outside.

Another man approached him, probably a salesman or so.
"Sir, if i may remark- you look horrible!"
Leo looked at him with a completely blank expression.
"Thanks, I think you're really sexy too", he grunted sarcastically, speaking with a slightly strange accent, something between British and French.
"Can i help you somehow, mister?"
"Nope."
"You sure?"
"Yup, I'm totally fine."
"But...you're soaked! What happened?"
Leo just shook his head while he squeezed the fabric of his coat, trying to get at least a bit of the water out. It wasn't bothering him too much, but all the water was making it darn heavy.
"I went for a swim in the ocean."
"...what?"

Chuckling, he just continued on his way. It at least was halfway true.
Back at home in London, they had had noble guests from Spain. Lord and lady de Cortez, with their son Enrich. Everything had been fine...well at least until he had the dumb idea to steal the Lord's horse and go for a ride to the next city...only to walk in on Enrico having fun with a barely dressed girl. Cough cough.
After the Lord had found out he had been furious and babbled something about that girl mesmerizing his son or something and travelled back to Spain the same hour. Then his father had sent Leo to sail after them and get that whole mess back in order.

That had at least been the plan, until they had sailed into a massive thunderstorn, causing the ship to sink and Leo to land here...after a few days spent on some wooden door on the sea.
Now he was soaked, tired, hungry as shit...
But that all was covered by a deep curiosity.
He hadn't planned to get ibto this adventure, but he certainly wouldn't complain about it.

When A gypsy caught his eye, dancing on the street, he stopped to watch, smirking slightly, until a voice from behind caught his attention.
"Get out the way, that gypsy stole from the leader of the town guards!"
A man in some sort of armor grabbed the girl's arm, causing her to whimper painfully.
While she aimed her fingernails at the guard's face, Leo darted forwards reflexively and tackled the man to the ground.

He sadly didn't stay there though.
Before he could get close enough, Leo grabbed the gypsy's hand, pulling her with him, away from the guard and into the safety of the crowded streets.
"He's still behind us!", the girl called alarmed, and Leo, in lack of a better hiding place, dashed into some black tent, almost running into some other gypsy.
He raised one finger to his lips.
"We aren't here", he mumbled silently, peeking through the opening. "Some guard is after her."

Last edited:
Theo wasn't prepared to be dragged back into her tent by a man and her cousin Isabella. Stumbling over the edges of her skirt, Theo hardly holds herself up. "Isabella what have you gotten yourself into now?" Running a hand down herself to compose her beating heart, Theo continues to chastise her cousin in their native tongue. It takes her a few more moments to remember the man that had saved her family.

"Thank you for saving her. Please both of you hide behind the curtains." In a quick motion she tucks both of them behind the curtains hanging from the ceiling and down the walls. Theo is just moving away from Leo's hiding spot when the head of the guard push his way into the tent.

"You girl! Have you seen one of yours with an Englishman?" Theo cocks her head to the side, the best she could do right now is play dumb.

"I'm sorry sir, I don't know much English. Do you want your fortune read?" Theo waves to the table behind her, a smile on her lips,her accent extremely thick. The guard let's out a loud sigh and pushes from the tent. Theo doesn't let her smile drop till the guard is long gone.

"You two can come out now." With a couple steps Theo is dropping down to her pillows behind her table, relaxing. It was as if she had done this before. "Gadje do you want your fortune read as a thank you for helping my family out?" She waves her hand at the seat across from her expectantly

Leo raised one eyebrow when the gypsy started scolding the other one in some language he didn't know. Listening closely, he tried to understand or interpret a few words, But it didn't really work out. ... Though he was pretty sure that at least one of those angry words was an insult.

He sighed relieved when the guard was gone. He didn't exactly know what had caused him to mess with that guy and risk his butt for some girl he had never seen before, but somehow he just couldn't help it. Gypsy and thief or not- he just couldn't deal with people treating others like that.
"Well played", he chuckled nodding. "Didn't hide someone for the first time, hm?"

When she offered him to read his fortune for him, his curiosity once again was piqued and he nodded, took off his soaked cloak with the slight hope it would dry a bit while the gypsy would tell him about his future.
He hung it over the back of his chair, straightened the equally soaked white shirt he was wearing underneath the coat and took a seat opposite the girl.
"Ehm, by the way, I'm Leopold, or just Leo. So...you Do tarot?"

Theo nods her head in greetings when Leo introduce himself, Isabella slowly sneaking out of the tent. Even amongst her own people the magic Theo could do scared them. "I am Theodosia. And yes tarot reading is an ability of mine." She doesn't mention that she also has the ability to see the future outside of just the cards.

Grabbing the stack of cards under her table, Theo readjusts herself perching above the table. "The thing you must know about the cards is that they show only one path, one possibility. Your future is constantly changing. They can though clear up a question from the past, and problems in the now. So use that information how you like." In a smooth, easy motion Theo begins to shuffle the cards. Her breath evening out she feels the trance take over. Fanning the cards in front of her she motions for Leo to pick one.

Before Leo can grab a card a feeling of dread washes over Theo. Everything goes in slow motion as the card is chosen. The Chariot, in reverse. "You were once the favorite of powerful forces, now those forces are beginning to turn on you." A shiver goes up her spine, but she doesn't let it show on her face.

The next card a nine of spades, it doesn't elicit any response from her senses, so she waits to speak till the third card is picked. The devil. Thunder crashes in Theo's mind as a scene unfolds in her mind. A dark rainy day, Leo standing on a hill, a shadow sneaking up behind him.

"You are going to need to take a big risk, one that can destroy everything around you. Yet it will be what can save the thing most important to you."

Leo watched and listened closely while Theodosia read the cards.
Or, maybe 'read' wasn't the right word...it rather seemed like she was seeing entire scenarios in those small pictures.
>>but how?<<, he thought.

'Powerful forces slowly starting to turn on you'... sure, his parents were pissed, but they wouldn't exactly turn on him. The only one he could imagine to do something like that was his older brother, Warren, who had a soul as black as this tent's fabric, but what should he do? He had screwed up far more than him, causing their father to choose Leo as his heir, even though Warren was four years older. Yes he had been jealous and longing for revenge ever since, but he wouldn't cause any too big trouble... would he?

The captain's last words before they had sailed into the storm rewound in Leo's head.
'Lord, we just received a message from your uncle. Your brother, he...your parents-... SHIT! HARD STARBOARD, HARD STARBOARD!!'
What had Warren done again?
The message about the risk wasn't better either. Destroy everything around? Oh wow, wonderful.
But that wasn't what bothered him the most.

After staring at the cards as if he expected them to speak to him too for a while, he rubbed his temples as a slight headache spread in his head.
"I don't want to ask for too much", Leo said thoughtfully, finally looking up from the cards and into Theodosia's face. "But can you see if it's my brother plotting something again? He's the only powerful force I can see turning on me..."

((Sorry it took me a while to reply, been having a few really busy days, but I'm back now ^^))

Theo stares as Leo seems lost in his own mind; she was pretty lost for words too. This feeling she has in her stomach is not pleasant, its as if the future is something toxic trying to shove it's way out. The universe has much more to show her, but doing so in front of an outsider could get her in lots of trouble.

When she was younger Theo couldn't control her visions, they happened whenever wherever. Now she is old enough and has taught herself how to stop them; sometimes though there are visions that are much too powerful for her to stop.

"I don't want to ask for too much."

His voice taps lightly against her, but by now it feels as if Theo is underwater on her way to drowning. What was she to do? Taking in a deep breath she prepares herself, this vision was coming whether she likes it or not; she can though try and make it so the Gadje doesn't see.

"You must go." Theo manages to choke out, her throat feeling hoarse. "I can give you no more assistance, leave." At this point the girls hands are shaking and she must put down the cards, so it isn't that noticable. Hiding her hands in her skirt she rises, her knees wobbling. "Please-" Is the last thing she manages to get out before Theo's knees collapse beneath her.

When Theo's body hits the pillows on the ground her mind is already with the future. Time is different for Theo when she is seeing. Sometimes minutes can seem to pass in seconds for her, or seconds can seem like hours; this one was one in the middle.

Night surrounds her, thickets and thorns pull at Theo as she runs through what seems to be woods. From what, she doesn't know. Fear and panic fill her body as she keeps going and going, and going; she was never going to stop running it seems. The darkness grows thicker, more stifling, and soon Theo is falling and the vision is changing. Darkness morphs into light and when Theo falls this time she is caught by arms; arms unknown to her.

It was hard to say how much time had lapsed since she fell into the curious vision, but if she has to guess about five minutes had passed.

Leo furrowed his eyebrows at Theodosia's sudden attempt to get him out of her tent as soon as possible.
Still wondering what this all was about, he turned to leave when he heard a silent thud.
He froze, facing the exit.
That sounded like a human body falling to the ground.
Sure, Theodosia had tried to send him away, but if she had collapsed in that tent here...

He slowly turned around, his eyes widening as he saw the girl on the ground, in a state that looked like unconsciousness.
He felt a slight worry rosing inside him, and decided that it was more important to make sure she was fine than listen to her confusing command.

"Theodosia...?", he asked as he one else down beside her and looked at her to see if there were any signs of injury or sickness.
She seemed fine though, a bit strained maybe.

Just when he carefully touched her shoulder to shake her, his pupils narrowed impossibly much, and he suddenly inhaled deeply, his mouth slightly hanging open. It kind of sounded like someone getting possessed in a horror movie.

Night surrounds him, thickets and thorns pull at Leo and Theo, who was in a few feet distance in front of him, as she ran through what seems to be woods. Instinctively, Leopold ran after her, his breath ragged after a while. Ue wasnt used to running that fast that long. As far as he could tell, Theodosia didnt seem to know this place, just like him. Fear to lose her trail flashed through him, almost painful, as she kept going and going, and going. Would she ever stop running? He wanted to call her, tell her to stop but the words didnt make it past his hoarse throat. The darkness grew thicker, more stifling, and suddenly Theo fell. Leo gasped in shock, but then suddenly something...changed. a bright, soft light surrounded him, and formed shining white wings on his back for a moment, made of nothing but light.
Without thinking any further, he jumped after Theo, fell faster than her, for whatever reason, and the light around him chased away the darkness before he caught her up in his arms.

Leo was breathing heavily when the vision ended, and noticed he was on all fours, completely exhausted, as if he had run for miles, and for whatever reason, his arms were covered in little scratches.
"Stupid thorns...", he mumbled, even though he knew it was stupid to assume that the thorns in...whatever that had just been, had any effect on the reality like this.

"Oh girl what are you doing to me", he moaned as he ran his hand through his hair. "What in all heaven's names was that? Theodosia? You okay...?"

Theo keeps her eyes slammed shut as the vision passes, not noticing Leo right next to her. The vision wasn't one she could easily decipher, she would have to go back in and try to figure it out. She hated to have to do that, this vision was already difficult enough.

"Stupid Thorns. . ."

At Leo's voice Theo jerks up suddenly, her eyes staring right at him. Everything comes flooding back to her; Leo was there with her. How could that be possible? Even as a little girl with no control, no one but her could enter.

Sucking in a deep breath, the world begins to grow a little hazy; it wasn't a vision, just Theo truly beginning to panic. Launching to her feet Theo grabs Leo by his arms and pulls him up with her.

"How did you do that? Who are you?"

"I?!", Leo asked back, his eyebrows furrowed while he rubbed his hurting head. That vision was giving him bad headaches.
He tried to make some sense of it. Apparently something...scary or horrifying or so was going to happen to him, but if he could get through it, he could save, well, something? Or someone? Had Theodosia just been a placeholder for someone else in that vision or was it literally her?

He gave her a puzzled once-over, before slowly inhaling to answer her questions.
"I didn't do anything. And I'm Leopold Devereux, son of Lady Elyssa and Lord William Devereux. Just a guy like everyone else. I mean, that story my mother used to tell me when I was a kid can't possibly be true."
>>...or can it...?<<, he thought to himself.

Looking around once, he ran his habd through his hair. "What was that? Visions? That cant be, I mean, that's nothing but myths and legends, is it?"

With shaking hands Theo reaches up and pulls of her head scarf slowly sitting back down amongst the pillows and blankets. Taking her unbrushed hair into her hands she begins combing her fingers through it. The only way Theo can think properly is when she feels more free, and if Leo wasn't here she would even go as far as to undress.

Leo was talking nonsense, babbling about his family and what not, none of it explaining anything. Sucking in a deep breath Theo shakes her head, finally making eye contact with Leo. What could she tell him? He was an outsider, a gadje; nothing good ever came from dealing with gadje, Theo knows that better than anyone else. Yet, he was in the vision with her, maybe she is meant to tell him.

"We can't talk about this here. You must leave here before someone gets suspicious. I will find you, and I will explain then." She waves her hand at the door, hoping this time he will listen to her.

Leo wasnt satisfied with that answer at all, but he figured he wouldn't get anything out of this girl right now, so he picked up his soaked coat and marched towards the exit, while his thoughts were racing. how was that even possible?
Visions?!
and sharing them??
nope, thatt didnt make any sense; on the other hand he had been told enough odd storied in his childhood to be a bit... head in the clouds, as some people would call it.
I'm worrying too much, he figured, as he left with a last look at the gypsy.

time to find a place to stay.
Leo made his way to the next tavern, and luckily, the owner also had three rooms for guests who would stay over night.
after drying his clothes and washing all the sand from the coast off himself, Leo already felt better.
tomorrow he would start searching for the rest of the crew.

but for now, he just lay on his surprisingly comfortable bed, his arms crossed behind his head, and tried to relax a bit, while he decided he ould go to the city again this evening, for dinner. luckily his little bag with money had survived the storm.
the vision kept haunting him though.
those wings of light, the falling, that had actually more felt like...flying.
what an odd girl..., he thought to himself as he finally drifted off into a light slumber.
What an odd girl...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back