• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy [CLOSED] Modern Supernatural 1x1 with Hints of Lovecraft

Erica

Shiny Browncoat
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hello there!

As the title suggests, I’m looking for a partner for a modern supernatural story. What does that mean? More details below. But first...
  1. I am looking for a writing partner. Let’s bounce story ideas off each other, add to the setting, laugh at our characters and their flaws, and generally have fun with it! (Otherwise, why are we doing it?)
  2. I consider myself a literate roleplayer, and I’m looking for the same. What does that mean? Love of story and character interaction coupled with a firm grasp of grammar and spelling. That said, I understanding that everyone makes typos/errors from time to time; we’re only human.
  3. I also prefer a partner who is at least 20 years old. No offense to younger writers: this is a comfort level for me based on past experience and the nature of this particular story.
  4. Post length: I tend to write posts of 2-10 paragraphs, depending on my partner’s style and the point we are at in the story. That said, I’m all about quality over quantity. Dialogue will be shorter posts. One-liner posts don’t work for me, but otherwise, please be descriptive, engaging, and help move the plot along, and we’ll get along fine.
  5. I prefer to write over PMs.
  6. For this particular story, my primary character will be female and I would prefer that you play a male/male leaning primary character. I can and will play multiple NPCs and secondary characters all along the gender spectrum, and I'm also willing to double. If you’re up for playing NPCs as well, that just might make my day.
  7. I would like some romance in this story - assuming the characters cooperate - although that will not be the central point of the plot, nor am I looking for insta-love. While we're at it, humor is also an essential component of any story for me. Bonus points if it is dark and/or dry.
  8. Posting Frequency: I can usually post a minimum of twice a week, often more frequently. I have a job, a family, and a life, and there's a pandemic going on. So there may be points where I cannot post for a few days.
  9. Please communicate with me. If real life kicks in the door and is taking over your time, it’s all good: please just try to let me know. Likewise, if the story isn’t working for some reason, let’s talk about it and correct it if we can. Or if you lose interest, please say so. I’d much rather get a PM saying it isn’t working than have someone ghost. I promise to communicate with you, too.
Want to know more about my style? Other characters and several writing samples can be found here: Erica's Writing Corner.
No, really - read the info in the spoiler above. Please.

Still here? Fantastic! Thank you for reading and for your (presumed) interest.

So... what's the story?

Best Forgotten (title tentative & negotiable)
High-level summary: Supernatural beings in the modern world get caught up in a cult’s attempt to raise an Elder God. I play a washed-up diminished goddess, among others. You play whatever supernatural creature floats your boat. We see if they manage to live.

Unbeknownst to humans, the modern world is full of supernatural beings. (We’ll decide together which types exist and which we want to focus on.) Among them are gods, or rather, the remnants of gods. Their power is proportional to the faith/worship of their followers. When that faith disappears, their powers dwindle accordingly. Those who no longer have worshipers are left immortal with supernatural abilities, but only a shadow of what they once were. They walk among humans, some passing as mortal while others use their limited power for their own purposes.

Elder Gods exist as well: once feared and worshiped by primitive man, they were cast out into the abyss ages ago and have largely been forgotten. While relics from that time remain and there are a few insane humans who attempt the old rituals (luckily with no success), they are a memory best suppressed. (Yes, I’m hinting at Lovecraftian eldritch horrors, if you’re familiar. Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!)

Our characters get caught up in a cult’s attempt to raise one of these Elder Gods. We will figure out how together, but my first idea is that the cult needs something from each of them to perform their ritual: a relic, blood, sacrifice, etc.

As you probably guessed by now, I like the idea of playing a once-god in this scenario (depowered and slightly bitter about it), as well as fleshing out the world of supernaturals living amongst humans. I leave it to you what sort of supernatural being you would like to play. (Werewolf, mage, vampire, angel, demon, immortal, faerie, warlock, ewok? Okay, not ewok, please…) It’s up to us what creatures inhabit the world, the dynamics between them, and how our characters deal with whatever complicated challenges we toss their way.

Please drop me a PM if you're interested in writing this story, and let me know your thoughts on who you'd like to play. Fair warning: I'll also ask for a writing sample (as I've shared mine) to make sure we're compatible.

For ease, I'm posting a writing sample from another modern supernatural story here.
Along Route 93, about a hundred miles northeast of Las Vegas, a black Ford Mustang sat with its hood raised on the side of the road headed toward Sin City. Steam wafted above a young woman's extremely red hair. She wore a dark grey tank top, black jeans, a black pair of Dr. Martin boots, and a sour expression.

Alexandra Hopkins' fist hit the front quarter panel, leaving a minuscule dent in the car's far-from-pristine exterior. "Shit!" Holding up a hand to shield her eyes from the afternoon sun, she sighed. Heat rolled off the desert in either direction, and the traffic was virtually non-existent for miles.

She caught a glimpse of short dark hair tipped with hot pink as Joy stuck her head out the driver's side window. "Hey! What did he ever do to you?"

“It's a she. Cars are 'she's," Alex corrected. She hit the panel again, more gently this time, and rolled her eyes. “And it's not the car, it's that ass who said he fixed it back in Montana. It's overheated again. It has to be a coolant leak inside somewhere. I knew he was a cheat!"

Joy smirked with raised eyebrows. "Wait…Why are cars ‘she’s? Because men like to ride them, right? I say any car I ride is a 'he'." Draping one arm along the open window, she tilted her head and drummed the opposite set of bright pink fingernails on the dashboard. "Let's call him… Kevin."

Alex smiled despite herself. They’d been on the road for weeks, and her friend had been trying her nerves the last few days, but Joy was aptly named: she could bring humor and light to almost any situation. And it was always something stupid like calling the car "Kevin" instead of pointing out that Alex's decision to live with the permanently-lit service warning light had led to them missing the engine overheating in the first place. Joy had harped about the light before the trip and even raised her eyebrows when they'd had to get the car serviced. She had every right to a major "I told you so". Thank God for friends who know when to hold their tongues.

“Just turn on the heat," Alex commanded.

Joy's arm flopped in the air as she groaned. "Seriously?" Joy's transformation from a twenty-one-year-old woman to a whiny thirteen-year-old girl was instantaneous. She leaned over to turn on the heat, tossing in a few sighs and hand-fanning of her neck for dramatic effect.

Alex walked around to open the driver's side door and motioned for Joy to step out. "You might want to remember feeling hot. It will get cooler out here soon. Fast, actually, when the sun goes down. We should get out the gear from the back in case it takes a while to flag someone down." They'd been saving money by camping along the scenic route, intending to splurge on decent hotels and some shopping in the larger cities -- like Las Vegas. Alex enjoyed camping considerably more than Joy did, prompting Alex to wonder several times if she should have ventured on this cross-country trip alone. Now she was glad to have a friend with her. Who knew what kind of creeps were out there?

"You want to hitch a ride?" Joy crossed her arms over her chest and stood on her tip-toes, looking down the road as if serial killers were lining up over the next hill.

"We can't drive it.” Alex motioned to the car and corrected herself. “Kevin. Maybe at night once it's… he’s cooled off, but then we risk damaging the engine if there's something seriously wrong we can't see." Alex tucked her hair behind her ear and looked up at the sky. "We could call for a tow, but that will probably cost us our Vegas money." They hadn't originally intended to hit Vegas on this trip, but they had seen advertisements so frequently -- often in the oddest places -- that they began to joke about fate demanding a stopover. One Google search by Joy about shopping on the Strip had sealed the deal, and every minor inconvenience suffered along the way had been tempered by the promise of seeing Sin City.

Joy's response was immediate. "Unacceptable." Then she dropped her chin to look up at Alex pleadingly. The dip of her head really wasn't necessary. She was at 5'5" and Alex was 5’11”: Joy always had to look up at Alex. But the pouting lip was a bit much, usually reserved for desperate situations with gullible men. "We could use the card. Doesn't this constitute an 'emergency'?"

Alex snorted. Maybe Joy was right, but she didn’t think this was serious enough to put more money on the emergency card her parents had given her -- nor did she feel like explaining the charges. “We already had our ‘emergency’ in Montana.” She leaned up against the side of the car before she offered the next alternative with a sly smile. “We could always hike it.” Joy’s shudder confirmed that her friend wouldn’t be up for that particular challenge. Alex didn’t think they had enough water on hand for it, anyway.

“I’ll make you a deal,” Alex finally offered. “We’ll wait a few hours. If no one’s come along in… say four hours, we’ll call for a tow.”

Joy seemed pacified. Surely someone would come along within the next four hours. It wasn’t that remote of a route, what with it being in every tourist guidebook.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back