[CLOSED] Dreaming in Eternity

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAmPailk

Name: Dreams in Eternity
Game: DND 5e through the CitM Discord
Players: 4-5 players

WANTED
The Consortium of the Five Towers is looking for a group of brave adventurers who are willing to join an expedition into the depths of a recently discovered plane. We welcome all from any Towers who would like to try their hand at adventuring. The benefits are as follows:
  • A guaranteed claim to fame and residence in the Citadel*
  • A one-time payout in case of untimely death**
  • A large sum of money up front*** and after****
  • The potential to discover incredible artifacts from a society long forgotten for the betterment of our beloved Citadel.*****
Are you enticed by the lure of ancient civilizations? Have you ever wanted to visit another plane? Do you live for the thrill of adventure of a lifetime? Then sign up today, and get a free enamel pin to show your friends that you are brave enough to adventure for your home!
*Should there be anything to find
**Payout depends on your usefulness during the expedition.
***To pay any gear you might need during the expedition.
****Should you return alive.
*****The Citadel is not responsible for the following: death, injury, disability, any long term trauma.

Premise:
The Consortium of the Five Towers only rarely stirs its head as one: usually the Five Towers are at odds with each other, though rarely openly. The Consortium rules Asterium, a city-plane at the center of an interplanar empire. Asterium itself is divided into five districts, one for each Tower. Residence is limited; those without valid proof of residence will be expelled as swiftly as possible. But Asterium is made out of artifice, built on magic and capitalism. It cannot sustain itself; it has to import all of its food. To do so, it colonizes and consumes other planes.​
T-11B is the latest of such planes. Though originally it was the Tower of Breath who discovered T-11B, it made the surprising and unprecedented move to transfer ownership to the entirety of the Consortium. Shortly after, the Consortium posted an ad, both in Asterium and on T-11B to gather adventurers for what they describe as ‘the adventure of a lifetime’. After a brief introductory course on T-11B, adventurers are sent towards the town of Caracara to investigate the appearance of mysterious artifacts.​
Who might answer the call? Are you a resident bored with capitalist city life, searching for thrills in a new plane? Are you escaping a debt? Or are you one of the many hidden opponents of the Consortium, infiltrating the crew to see what they are up to this time and to stop them from profiting? Or perhaps you’re a peasant, intrigued by the appearance of the new people on your plane, wanting to get in on this whole citadel business?​

Q&A
What is this?

An ad for a DND PBP game combining two things: my homebrew setting Asterium, which focuses on themes such as capitalism, cultural hegemony and the writing of history, and the Arcana of the Ancients supplement by Monte Cook.​
That’s weirdly specific.
Yeah, I know. That’s my jam. I know what I’m about.​

It doesn’t sound like it takes place in Asterium.
Not yet, but it could. It likely will, but that depends on the players’ shenanigans. A group of adventurers is sent to a recently colonized plane in order to explore something that could be of value to the citadel. Adventurers can either be from the plane T-11 or from the Citadel. The Citadel has its own set of lore for some of the races, such as flesh eating elves, honor-bound tieflings and artistic changelings, plus a variety of capitalist factions. After the expedition is completed, the adventurers will return to deal with the results of their expedition.​

Okay, so what’s the balance?
My previous campaign in this setting was 100% social. In this game it’s probably more 60% social, 40% other stuff? I’m a storyteller first and foremost, and I like to give my players a world for them to go wild in. T-11 is more your classic kitchen sink Forgotten Realms setting, whereas Asterium is more Eberron-meets-cutthroat-politics-and-capitalism. A big part of the game is about that culture clash (provided that some people want to play from T-11).​
That being said, the first leg of the game will be a dungeon that introduces a chunk of the main story, using material presented in the Arcana of the Ancients supplement. You could peek in there, I guess, but that’d be spoiling the fun for yourself. Either way, I like to reward people who think creatively and have intriguing characters. If you’re here to kill everything until you get to the end goal, my game is likely not for you.​

What level do we start? What’s allowed?
We’re staring at level 3. The characters already have been through a week’s worth of training— not to hone their skills, but rather to become familiar with each other and form a unit. As for what options there are I’m allowing all published books other than the Wildemount Guide since I haven’t looked at that yet. If you really want something from there, feel free to ask me.​

What about your setting?
I’ve written about….70% of a setting guide. You’re not obligated to read all of it (if you don’t want to, I suggest playing an adventurer from T-11, I promise that’ll be fun too!). It’s not completely done yet, but I’ve done my best to work on the things that would be most relevant to the players. Currently it’s 5.6 thousand words, with an index and a changelog.​
The main gist is that it’s a large city overseen by five towers, which each represent a different thing. There’s Light, who has to do with the arcane, knowledge, history, etc. It’s super capitalist, so imagine Light as Wikipedia-for-profit-who-does-funerals, and so on. Everybody has to be in possession of a magic pin that displays what tower they’re with. But of course there’s the criminals and the rebels, who circumvent that system, and so on.​
In between the capitalist nonsense I’ve tried to put my own twists on some of the races; rather than being the evil elves, drow are vegetarian cousins who are a big part of the citadel’s security. Culture clash is part and parcel of the setting, and a large part of this game as well. Hopefully.​

How big are my chances of being picked? What kind of DM are you? How often are you online?
I’m not first come first serve, and I might leave this ad open between 24-36 hours depending on how ready I am feeling to deal with the new campaign jitters tomorrow night! I try to be a generally chill DM— I won’t ping you because you haven’t responded within several hours. I don’t even mind if you can’t respond for a few days, though I do appreciate it if you could let me know! I’m a person who does well with clarity and certainty. I’m around daily, and try to get posts out every morning between 9-10 am GMT+1, but it depends a lot on how much energy I’m feeling any given day how many posts I get out after my daily round.​

I have another question that hasn’t been mentioned yet!
Oh dang, I thought I would’ve gotten all of them! If you have any questions left, feel free to message me either privately through the Castle in the Mist Discord or to ping me on there or something. You’re more likely to get a response through Discord than on here.​

I absolutely love the idea of being someone who came from T-11B and has to deal with getting exposed to the kind of nihilistic capitalism this seems to represent. I'm happy to step back for players in fewer things if you end up getting a lot of applicants.

Either way this sounds super cool Kitt. I'm sure it'll be tons of fun.

I've been hoping another game ad would pop up, and I keep hearing good things about your stories, though before they usually came up while I was in way too many games. I'll toss my hat in for this one, maybe I'll get to see the Kitt in action first hand.

I'd be interested, this premise sure sounds like something different!

Although I'm in a few games as it is, so I understand if you won't pick me

Your setting sounds amazing! I'll throw my name in the hat.

The character concepts I have in my head are either a straightforward Indiana Jones type archeologist, or a overt tower representative in the mission who's there to make others sign disadvantageous contracts and secure as much of the useful artifacts for their tower as possible. Don't know much about them beyond that though.

Last edited:
The tone of the footnotes tells me this is an adventure i'll enjoy.

I've not played in your previous campaigns, but happy to brush up on lore for this exploration and culture clash. I'm pretty active on the discord and in a few games already, but throwing my hat in as this looks like a blast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread