• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy City of Two Faces: Curious Case of the Demon's Ambrosia

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Simple_Traveler

Amateur Wordsmith
21st of December, Year of our Lord 2457

We begin this tale within the bright, bustling streets of Caliburn-Central Hub. It's citizens, bundled up against the freezing chill of this December night, flood through the cobblestone roads like water rushing in a river. Some rush to their destinations on foot while others drive in their steam carriages that hiss noisily as they go along. Tonight is a truly special night for the Central Hub, for it is to be the night when St. Kathryn's Museum of the Arts and Sciences makes it's grand debut. Hundreds of citizens have already made their way to the newly constructed building, from artist bohemians to well dressed inventors to your average person looking to enjoy a marvelous party. Upon arriving many are struck by the museum's beauty, even by Central Hub's high standards, with it's multi-storied stone work architecture, shining marble columns, and a detailed, bronze statue of St. Kathryn herself standing a full 13 feet at the top of the stairs leading to the front entrance. Inside the museum is arguably more awe inspiring than its outside. A long, cavernous hall, its walls covered in priceless oil paintings and velvet curtains, leads from the entrance to a massive greeting area that has been converted to a ballroom for the night. Ornate chandeliers made of brass and crystal light holders hang from a ceiling that has been crafted to look like the night sky with several well known constellations mark out for those to see. The light from overhead is reflected in the black,marble floor that has been polished to the point that it could be mistaken for one large mirror. Dozens of long cherry wood tables line the perimeter of the ballroom. Each one piled high with delectable morsels that seem to have come from different parts of the world. Crisply dressed waiters and waitresses spread out through the well-dressed crowd, offering food and drinks upon their silver platters to those who ask for it.
Many well known figures from Calibun-Central Hub have attended this event. The walrus mustached Inspector Ivor Chadwick prowls through the crowd like a bulldog searching for his next meal. He looks uncomfortable in his grey three piece suit while the six constables that accompany him lack the courage to point it out. Then there's Mother Fiona Cambridge. Still wearing the plain black and white grab of her faith, the kind faced old woman chats amiably with the guests with a happy sparkle in the sixty-eight year old's eyes. Finally there's the tall, dark, and handsome Julius Salazar. The famous play write stands at the drinks table, casually flirting with a group of his fans that respond with adoring smiles and dramatic swoons. Yes this will definitely be a night to remember, but for a reason nobody expected....

Juju Juju , PeanutLemur PeanutLemur , SilverFlight SilverFlight , thefinalgirl thefinalgirl , The Suspicious Eye The Suspicious Eye , darkborn darkborn , Awoooken0004 Awoooken0004 , Dreamtique Dreamtique

Thaddeus sat, cross-legged and the hard-hotel-room floor was not a floor in the eye of his mind. It was a clear body of water, so still it could be taken for a vast mirror. Here was peace, here was control, and even the giant beast sitting across from him was quiet.
The wolf looked out with amber eyes, and he saw himself through them.
"We are in harmony." Thaddeus said, and the wolf bared its teeth.

He had forgone his usual attire and opted instead for something more formal: His tailed jacket was a deep navy and matched the silk top hat he held under one arm. The shirt was white and high-collared. His hair was still unruly, but through much combing and a little cream he had managed to tame it into something that resembled an intended style.
The result of his regular meditation had set him ill-at-ease. The wolf was restless tonight. He was restless. The beast he had separated from only in his mind, they were one and the same, even though Thaddeus was afraid of it still.

His worried thoughts stayed with him in the carriage to the museum, but upon seeing the marvels of the grand opening they began to fade, replaced with an overwhelming awe. The bronze statue of the saint glinted in the light that flooded the front facade. As he ascended the stone staircase he was accompanied by a flock of finely-dressed Caliburn locals, the men in silk, wool and pristine white spats, the ladies in fine feathers and furs and Thaddeus blended with them well, looking like the young noble heir had had been born to be.

He stopped only briefly to take in the priceless works of art adroning the vast hall before he was shuffled into the next part of the museum by the rising mass of people: The ballroom had him craning his neck, taking in the crystal chandeliers tossing their spangled prism light all about the space. It filled him with a giddy, child-like excitement. A younger Thaddeus would have seen all of this with a large dose of boredom, but being away from the finery and the light of Caliburn for so long, he found himself longing for it.
Thaddeus began to take in the figures about the room. He caught sight of the playwright, whom he admired greatly, though had not a single ounce of courage to actually go and speak to.
Perhaps I should go straight to business then? Thaddeus thought with a hint of disappointment.

Thaddeus had been in town for only three short weeks, but already he had been able to assist the officers of the city in some of their smaller cases, advertizing himself as a confident, freelance detective. It was through some close work with the constables that he had first learned about the strange sickness plaguing the lower quarter. Now that case, was most intriguing.
Catching sight of the disgruntled Inspector Chadwick, Thaddeus sidled over, wondering if any of his bobbies had thought to mention the young detective to him.
"Good evening to you." Thaddeus said politely, folding a forearm across his waist and bowing as formally as he remembered.
"If I may be so blunt, you look about as comfortable in this setting as I feel."

Simple_Traveler Simple_Traveler (Inspector Chadwick)

Stepping out of the motor vehicle a young woman in a violet dress smiled kindly and thanked the drived and footman. Taking a step back she waved them off as they drove away. It's a shame they didn't know anything. Turning around she looked up at the vast bronze statue of St. Katherine, and Cassandra took a moment to adjust her attire. Pulling her long gloves up to her forearm and adjusting the collar of her dress she made sure that none of the weldings on her body could be seen. Humming the tune of a old music box that sat on her vanity, she stepped up to the stature and used the soft reflection of the polished bronze to check her appearance. Adjusting her hair to cover the last ones around the edge of her scalp she finally let herself calm down. Taking a moment to block out the bustling conversations of the crowd she pulled out two pieces of paper from her dress pocket.

Alright then what am I to do now? Cassandra thought to herself as she looked down at the invitation and letter that came along with it. Having been lead to this city by a first mysterious letter with an address and key Cassandra was surprised to find both were to her old friend's, Professor Hewitt's homestead in Caliburn. Settling back into the old house, what was left from the place was covered in dust. Already planning where to start cleaning she stopped as she noticed on the dining room table was a large box and a envelope, without any dust upon it. Opening the letter the contents was just a vague as the previous letter that lead her here.

Dearest Heiress,

Welcome home. I am sure the place isn't quite how you may have remembered it, but I'm certain you can find a way to call it home. Inside this letter is an invitation to the debut of the St. Kathryn's Museum of the Arts and Sciences. Please attend this event. There will be food, drink and conversation to your heart's content. I am sure you will appreciate the artwork and even find some pieces you may be familiar with. As this will be a formal event, your gown is in the box provided. I hope it is to your liking. A car will arrive for you to take you to the event.

I look forward to reaching you again.

For anyone else the worry of some stranger seemingly following them would be worrying, however, Cassandra was not one to worry over such things. So far the letters have lead her to a roof over her head and something to do when she arrived, so she saw them as a blessing. Still they left her with quite a few questions; who is writing these? Do they know who she is? What she is? Why is she being called heiress? And how often are these letters going to appear? She wasn't sure of much but she knew that whoever this was didn't know what she was now. "Food and drink? I'm hardly capable of that. Not that the Professor didn't try," she said to herself smiling softly at the memories of him wanting one day to eat meals with her.

Standing at the entrance of the building thoughts of the Professor and Roxanne crossed her mind tinting her with a soft sadness. One loud hearty laugh from someone in the crowd, shook Cassandra from her thoughts and she was pulled back to the present. Alright, onward to this new adventure. Walking inside she was entranced by the artwork on the walls, each one a masterpiece in its own right. She could have spent hours inspecting each one, but was quickly ushered by the crowd down the halls into what seemed like another world. Stopping in her tracks she looked around the ballroom in wide eyed amazement. The crystal lights from the ceiling shaped like the constellations, the ornate brass chandeliers, and the black marble, like a mirror reflecting it all, it was almost as if they hooked the night sky itself and pulled it down to earth. Looking out at the ballroom the attendants were adorned with jewelry and fine clothing, the staff so elegant as they carried treats on silver platters, everyone sparkled like each was a star of their own. "Oh wow!"

Reaching out to the nearest person she could find she tapped their shoulder to get their attention. "Isn't this ballroom incredible?"

darkborn darkborn , Awoooken0004 Awoooken0004 , Dreamtique Dreamtique Simple_Traveler Simple_Traveler Juju Juju , PeanutLemur PeanutLemur , SilverFlight SilverFlight , thefinalgirl thefinalgirl (Grabbing strangers for a chat if you'd like)

Wane stepped quietly among the crowd, drifting along as he approached St. Kathryn's Museum of the Arts and Sciences, time stood still just as the grand building came into his sight, and so did the man. The divine architecture that would be a sanctuary of art and science filled Wane with hope and excitement like a rain of holy water, a smile crept onto his face as he tipped his top hat, a silent greet was send to the inanimate building before Wane swiftly clicked the camera in his hand in one smooth action. The polaroid slided out of the camera, the gentleman took a good look at the developing photo and started to drift in his thoughts, how he aspired to be able to show his works in the museum one day, he could already imagine how jubilant a man he would be if he was ever given the chance to shine, it was the highest honor that an artist like him could ever hope for, the prospect the came with the opening of the museum was endlessly exciting for Wane.

The wonderment never ends on his way to the great ballroom, the architecture and interior design of the museum exuded ethereal elegance that was only fitting to bring out the glory of the countless works of art and science that would soon be in display. Wane simply couldn't resist the tantalizing thought to stare at the dazzling beauty of the creation of architecture forever, the painting along the hallway was enough to captivate him for a very long time period that he had very soon lost count of, his eyes widened in amazement for every great pieces that entered his sight while the world around him slowed down almost to a stop.

It took forever for Wane to finally made it to the ballroom. The wonderful lighting and the mirror like floor created an enchanting symphony of light the sent Wane's eyes dancing with its rhythm. He assumed that the museum wouldn't be too strict with cameras in the opening ceremony, well, he never planned to hold back at the very beginning anyway, so Wane kept going with his camera. He found himself completely lost in the world behind the camera lens, to the point that he almost forgot he was there, in the present.

It's going to be a long...long night for Wane.

Last edited:
Katherine had almost forgotten about the big party tonight, which was in itself a rather extraordinary accomplishment considering the entire city had been abuzz with the news. Even the lowly pickpockets and thieves of the Outer City had expressed excitement at the chance of a few easy robberies. Truly, it was going to be a happy night for all.

Of course, since she had only remembered the party about a few hours ago, she didn't have much time to get an outfit together. So in favor of time restraints, budget, and a bit of fun, she decided to make a dress. Last minute attire was no match for a quick 'appearance switcheroo'. Of course, that also meant she needed something to mimic so the obvious solution was to break into a tailor shop and browse around. She decided on a deep plum dress, and since she couldn't make or erase any part of her current outfit, picked out a nice hat as well. Her vest and pantaloons became the bulk of the dress, her bag puffing it out, her overcoat changed into a translucent shawl, and her weather beaten hat turned posh for the night.
[IMG='width:484px;']https://image.dhgate.com/0x0/f2/albu/g6/M01/C4/45/rBVaSFrym5aAacAPAAGMkxKtrj8427.jpg[/IMG][IMG='width:336px;']http://s3.weddbook.com/t4/2/4/3/2434177/black-church-wedding-hat-head-piece-kentucky-derby-hat-black-bridal-coctail-hat-couture-fascinator-bridal-hat.jpg[/IMG]
She pivoted in front of the mirror, touching the folds of her dress and tilting her head to view the side angles of her hat. Flashing a smile to her reflection, she drew her finger along the brim of her hat. "Oooh! Turned out rather nicely didn't it? Hoho, you've still got it Kat! Marvelous! I look like I can rub elbows with even the bigwigs." From his perch atop the rusted mirror, Rook gave a short caw.

"Oh don't be like that. Ladies don't go to parties with familiars on their shoulder, at least not here. Besides, if I were to bring you everyone would be too distracted by your handsome feathers to even bother looking at me." When it came to Rook, flattery was always the best way to go. The crow bobbed his head suspiciously at the compliment, but enjoyed it nonetheless. "Don't worry, I will make sure to sneak out some food for you."

Once she was done finalizing the illusion spell, she made her way to the front door of the tailor-shop and stepped out onto the street. She made sure to re-lock the door with a spell before continuing down the street as if she hadn't just broken into a store. She noticed a carriage pass by, undoubtedly heading for the same destination, and gave a sigh. While she loved a good evening stroll, a stylish ride would be nice. Rook landed on a lamppost a little ways ahead of her and croaked in amusement. "Hey don't laugh, I could always make a dashing white steed to arrive on..." At that comment the bird gave her a scornful glance and took off.

It wasn't long before they made it to the St. Kathryn's Museum of the Arts and Sciences. She didn't have an invitation, of course, but that wasn't a problem. Kat simply got Rook to startle one of the guests into dropping their invitation and made a quick copy when she picked up the invitation and returned it to the woman. The copy of course would disappear as soon as the doorman let her in.

To be honest, the inside of the museum was quite impressive for a non-magical construct. The stars overhead were not nearly as grand or believable as those in Madame Moone's mansion, but she appreciated the care that went into each light. She was looking up at said lights when she felt someone tap her shoulder.

The Suspicious Eye The Suspicious Eye
"Ah, yes it is rather nice I suppose." she said cheerily, grabbing a pastry from a platter just as a servant passed by. "The floor is a nice touch. I have to admit I'm a huge fan. Though it almost makes me wonder if the real reflection is the one looking up or the one looking down? Is there another you on the other side, perhaps?" Kat knew that being trapped in a mirror was no joke, but it was fun to fantasize. She took a bite of the pastry. "OOoooh! What's this! Have you tried the food? I believe I'll be 30 pounds heavier by the end of the night!" She wondered how much of it she could sneak out before anyone noticed?

Last edited:
The Inspector turned to the bowing young man, his already small eyes squinting as he tried to remember if he'd ever seen him before. Then one of his constables, a baby-faced rookie by the name of Jakob Martin, whispered into his ear.
"That's that independent investigator we told you about, sir. Remember? The one that helped us bust the thief that made off with Mrs. Jennings' sapphire eye?"
Eyes widening in recollection Inspector Chadwick harshly shooed away the constable.
"Of course I remember you twit! Do you take me for a fool?" the stout man hissed while his walrus mustache seemed to bristle with annoyance. Once Jakob had taken a fearful step back the Inspector rounded back to the young man. Putting on a bad mockery of a polite smile, Chadwick reached out with his left hand.
"Evening. And you are correct in your assumption, never cared much for formal events especially with one as..." he gestured around the ballroom, "Frivolous as this. Now than do you have something to discuss with me or did you just want to waste my time?"

~0~
Meanwhile, during the lull in party guests coming in a tall, thin man that had a haggard face with hair both an unhealthy shade of white and stringy while his eyes were hidden under a worn top hat, stood in front of the entry way. He was staring intensely at the doors, more specifically the brass bars that serve as the door's handles.
Juju Juju , PeanutLemur PeanutLemur , SilverFlight SilverFlight , thefinalgirl thefinalgirl , The Suspicious Eye The Suspicious Eye , darkborn darkborn , Awoooken0004 Awoooken0004 , Dreamtique Dreamtique

Thaddeus inclined his head, his smile staying planted stubbornly on his gentle face. He did however, exchange a knowing glance with the constables milling behind their defacto leader. Thaddeus had been warned of Chadwick's...unique disposition, and he was prepared.
He took the proffered hand and shook it firmly. "Thaddeus Gray sir, and I would not dream of wasting your time, there is a whole room of people to do precisely that. No, I came to you this evening in hopes you might grant me some information about this mysterious illness that has been popping up in the lower districts of Caliburn."
Even as he spoke Thaddeus' eyes could not sit in one place, they roamed about the room: A starry-eyed young man with a camera, two young ladies striking up a conversation by the tables; finally they landed on the peculiar gentleman by the doors. An odd appearance to be sure, but he seemed to be doing no more than standing, hardly an offense.
"I..." Thaddeus came back to himself quickly, "I would like to offer my services in the matter, my business is still quite new to the city you see, I am looking to build a reputation."
There was something strange about that man, but Thaddeus could not quite put his finger on it.

Simple_Traveler Simple_Traveler

mentioned: The Suspicious Eye The Suspicious Eye Dreamtique Dreamtique Juju Juju

Crowds, though part of his daily routine, were not on Arran’s list of enjoyments. He was a man of introverted tendencies, a character whose solace was found in the company of none but himself, save the few individuals he’d allowed into the sanctum of his acquaintanceship. Indeed, his tolerance for socialization was as fickle as his patience: fast to fade and all the more sour for it. Behind the polished wood of his bar Arran controlled not only the flow of alcohol - that which served as a vice to many a man and woman - but the duration of the conversations he exposed himself to. There he was master; there he was king. Amidst the sprawling congregation of bodies swarming St. Kathryn’s Museum of the Arts and Sciences, however, he was but a wheel in a cog. Insignificant. Minor. A pawn at the mercy of some greater design. How he detested it! And yet, the choice had been made weeks prior - no doubt a self-poisoning, for headaches were sure to abound - to attend tonight’s gala. For that, and the goals anticipating accomplishment, he could at least pretend.

Maybe; Arran cut a look to his left. Up for debate, that one. The mingling and pleasantries - thin and barbed as most were, their satin laced words doing little to hide the polished blades waiting beneath - that accompanied such occasions as this left a bitter taste in his mouth. They reminded him of whispered insults and judging eyes, of a town he’d left with nary a backwards glance. While suave in tongue and poise himself, he at least made a point of speaking in truths. With him, there was no beating around the bush. If he wanted someone gone, he made it known. Unfortunately, there were those who gave hard-headed its meaning. The tittering bit of flesh and bone at his side gave proof to this fact.

She was attractive, he supposed, all long legs and a trim waist wrapped in a gown of shimmering mauve. Her hair was the color of a raven’s down feathers and appeared just as soft, swept away from the smooth planes of her face so the lean column of her neck and the tops of her shoulders were left bare for all to see. Many men would have fallen for her charms, for her eyes were dark beneath the fan of her lashes and her cheeks dusted a most becoming pink. Arran, however, was more distracted by the hand on his arm - and not in the way she clearly wished him to be - to let himself be swayed by her physical appeal. For the churl had touched him, and no recollection of the granting of such permission existed in his mind. Something dark churned within his breast.

“-you think?” A fluttering of lashes, the coy curl of rose-painted lips. Her voice was sickly sweet, dipping low as she leaned toward him. A grimace was suppressed, a breath of air released, and Arran fought to keep from clenching his fist at his side.

Instead, the dark haired man let a smile overtake his face, thin lips parting just enough for the gleam of teeth to peak through. It was a winsome expression, one bound to make knees weak and hormones swoon; yet, there was no light in the hard ocher of his eyes, and the only warmth to be gleaned from his visage was the heat one might attest to a freezer burn. Frigid, cold; this was the grin of a man not enthralled by attention, but disgusted by it. Where she touched, his skin crawled.

”On the contrary,” he said at length, smile sharpening even as hers began to fall, ”I find such works most entertaining. How is one to enjoy the wonders of this world if he cannot admire its horrors? I find those who choose to ignore the unseemly most... boring.” By now the woman’s face held a disgruntled expression, and Arran made a point of removing her hand from his arm. ”I suggest you take more time to observe the world, madam, for all that glitters is not gold - and pretty faces oft hide the most ugly personalities.”

It was here that he slipped away, tone cold as his feet mixed him into the crowd. He remained unperturbed by the insult he had thrown his own way - for what he had spoken was not untrue, and Arran was hardly fool enough to ignore the own flaws in his being. They had been there long enough for him to know them by name. To ignore them would have been nothing short of denial. For one, he was no people person - had stopped being one long ago. Secondly, nice was far from a personal adjective. Those who liked him said his callousness was amusing, though Arran thought them, and their claim, a little odd. How someone could find such a trait any sort of endearing was beyond him. Still, it was pleasant to know that he wasn’t wholly a lost cause. Perhaps, one day, he wouldn’t feel the need to wrangle so many necks. A shame that this night didn’t share the sentiment.

Interactions: N/A

Having not even paying attention to whose attention she grabbed she was surprised to have begun speaking to. It was a glamorous woman in a beautiful gown and hat. Glad she was so friendly, it was nice to actually talk to someone new and hearing such an articulate and interesting answers was a pleasant addition. "Oh?" Pausing as for a brief moment she forgot that in this body she is a living reflection of what a human. Giving a soft laugh she rested her hand on her cheek. "I suppose you're right." Glancing down at her own reflection in the mirrored floor she saw what appeared to be a human. If her body was truly human her chest would tighten at the sight of it. However instead she embraced this new self and looked back to the woman as she bit into a pastry. The look of elation on her face brought a smile to her own. Cassandra loved sweets not just for the soft memory of taste sure had but because of how happy they made others feel.

"OOoooh! What's this! Have you tried the food? I believe I'll be 30 pounds heavier by the end of the night!"

Letting out a soft laugh, she tried to cover with her hand Cassandra shook her head. "No, I'm afraid I haven't tried them. I'm not one to eat much of anything. I've got quite the strict diet to follow. But it brings me joy to see you enjoy them." Extending her hand out to the woman she introduced herself. "My name is Cassandra Vanadium. It's a pleasure to meet you."

As she extended her hand she felt a sudden chill shake through her core as someone nearby caught her attention. Glancing ever so slight over she noticed a pale man standing in front of the entryway staring at the brass bars of the door handle. How strange. Why is he staring at the door? I wonder if he needs any help? She thought quietly to herself, but knew it was rude to leave without excusing herself so she waited to finish her conversation with the woman.

Juju Juju

The Suspicious Eye The Suspicious Eye
Kat scarfed down the last of the delicate pastry, savoring the piece of sugary heaven. She honestly couldn't remember the last time she ate something that good. "A diet huh? Well I can't say it didn't pay off....but what is life if not to indulge in its pleasures?" She gave a lighthearted laugh and took up the woman's offer of a handshake. "Call me Kat; and the pleasure is all mine."

Upon touching the woman's hand, Kat noticed that her hand was unusually cold and stiff. It felt like a prosthetic limb. How interesting, though it didn't strike her as too odd. Such things were quite common in the Outer City. At least, for those who could afford or steal them. This one had a story to tell, with Kat being only a blip in the narrative.

She saw her gaze shift to something in the distance and what attention this woman once had in the conversation left. Reading faces was a must if you wanted to avoid being shanked, and this face told her that Cassandra had something else in mind other than conversation. Kat didn't take it personally, of course, perhaps the woman was waiting on someone.

'Well I won't keep you long Miss Vanadium. Now if you'll excuse me I've got some more pastries to hunt down and I'm sure your time would be better spent exploring the art than my babbling rants!" She said with a wink and smile. "Do have a good evening now~!" Katherine gave a small tilt of her head in farewell and made her way towards the nearest servant with a platter.

Soon she was holding a small chunk of meat on a stick. Was it pork? chicken? It tasted good so she didn't really care. Rook would absolutely love it though, so when the server was not looking, she snatched up two more and made her way through the crowd towards what looked to be a less populated area. She passed by several throngs of people, moving in and out of conversations, but a few sentences seemed to stick out. In particular, a man's voice that said;

How is one to enjoy the wonders of this world if he cannot admire its horrors?
My that's a wonderful question! Man I need to sneak into these parties more often... the conversations are a lot more interesting than I thought. She looked around for who said it but couldn't identify them in the mass of people. So she pressed on. Kat wandered around the halls of art until she found a window that was a little more 'out of the way' and opened it. Cold air rushed in, tickling her face. After a few moments Rook fluttered up to perch expectantly on the windowframe. "What did I say? See, the evening isn't so bad" she said while the crow wolfed down the meat within seconds. He gave a happy caw and turned to fly back out the window until...
Dreamtique Dreamtique
*Flash*
*Click*
Rook stopped and cocked his head curiously. He turned his head and all six of his eyes were trained on a man holding a camera. "No... don't you-" Kat started but it was too late, the blasted bird had already entered into the gallery and flew towards the man. "...dare..." He promptly landed on the man's head and started pecking curiously at the camera. Just great. This is the last time you are getting any food you stupid bird!

Cassandra noticed the strange look on the woman's face as she touched her hand. Oh right! I wasn't supposed to tough anyone. Mentally kicking herself she hoped that she wasn't taken aback by her metallic body. Hearing her introduce herself as Kat she was curious as to why she didn't give her full name. Maybe people here don't do that anymore? Her train of thought was pulled back to the woman as she quickly excused herself. It was a surprise to her, she didn't expect the woman to quickly run off, maybe I did scare her off? Cassandra is a bit oblivious, when it comes to people's thoughts and intentions, still she stays friendly till the end.

"Hmm? Oh alright then. I hope we can meet up later Kat! I don't mind blabbing rants on occasions and you seem really nice!" Smiling she waved to the woman who went off to see an man about a meal or eight. Giggling softly at the thought of it she let her shoulders fall in relief. It wa nice to meet someone so friendly, though she wondered if she scared her off a bit.

Well my first meeting was certainly pleasant, though I could have handled it better. Maybe I can do better on my next one. But that man, he is so very strange. Cassandra nodded and headed over to the stranger who caught her attention. With every step she could make out, his skin was pale like a porcelain doll. Yet his face was haggard as if life was slowly scooped out of his face over and over leaving a semblance of a man. She was certainly curious as to who this was. Could this stranger be the one leaving me notes? Either way I'll never know if I don't meet him. Stepping up beside the man she tapped his shoulder and gave hima kind smile. "Oh hello sir, are you alright? You seem to be staring at the brass door handle. It certainly makes you stand out. Do you need any help?"

Simple_Traveler Simple_Traveler (Let's chat with Mr. Scary)

Leviathan Linklater & Maria Roseli
As the professor looked at the hall with amazement, Levi reminded Maria to keep on her hood. It was for her safety since the person that wanted to dispose of their family could be inside the grand museum. "Remember Maria, don't let go of my hand. It'll be a bother if I lose you once more.", the man says to her in which she responded,"Of course I will." They entered the ballroom, filled with guests of nobles and powerful men that have a hand in the city. The lights were bright, the music was fantastic, even the food was delicious. It was truly a grand debut for a museum. It would make St. Kathryn herself delighted to be invited at a museum named after her.
The professor explored the museum more as he was amazed at the architecture of the fine establishment. He checked to see if Maria was still with him, and unfortunately she was not with him. The girl explored the building on her own as she was also amazed by the grandness of the ball. The purplish zombie saw a bird and it made her curious on whose owner it was. She saw a girl nearby with what appears to be a man with a camera. "Excuse me, is this bird yours? If so, what is it's name?" Maria asks the girl as she looked at the bird with eyes that were shining like rubies..
While Maria was looking at a bird, Levi, on the other hand, was frantically searching for the zombie. He searched the establishment from each and every corner of the room. Luckily, he spotted her near a girl and a photographer. He walked up to her and grabbed Maria's hand slowly. "Please excuse her, she's still not used to gathering like these." The professor said as he was slightly scolding Maria for leaving him behind.
Mentions: Juju Juju Dreamtique Dreamtique (sorry if i interrupted some stuff)

Amid the ever-flowing crowds, the camera's focus stopped on a single man rooted among the colorful peoples, with his clothes tattered and his aura dim, an ominous mist shrouded the mysterious figure. Wane felt uneasy by simply staring at him, yet there was a hint of sorrow and sadness hidden behind his dark mist that captured Wane's attention.
"What could be the story of this man? I wonder......" Wane whispered under his breath, his curiosity piqued and his imagination began to run wild. It was a question he often found himself asking for every single photo he took, he would be excited and enthralled by his own fantasy that would then add a poetic touch to his photos that expressed beauty in a much subtle way. Of course, there was the superficial esthetic that everyone's eyes could appreciate, but to Wane, the stories and memories behind each photo were what resonated with his soul, it was his very definition for the value and beauty of a photograph.

In the eyes of a photographer, each people was really no different from a stack of photographs, at least that was how Wade saw the world after the amnesia. A stranger's past and stories were one of the most intriguing things for Wane, perhaps it was partly because of his curiosity, but Wane himself realized it was a need for him that he had been suppressing. It was the need to fill the emptiness within himself- the complexity, the empathy, the humanity... in the form of a life story that he had long lost its ownership......

It was an odd allegory, but somehow the darkness he saw within the mysterious stranger reminded Wane a little bit of himself, so he clicked the shutter button to capture his lonely figure within the camera frame.

It was then six gleaming, beady red eyes emerged in his tunnel vision, peeking back into Wane's eyes and straight to the back of his brain. A chill rushed down his spine as his body jerked before he pulled away from the camera, managing to barely maintain his balance.
"Bwah!!!" The man lost its composure momentarily to let out a squeaky, incoherent expression of his primal reflex from a fright for the people around the vicinity to hear. It took a while for Wane to notice there was now a feathered critter claiming his top hat as a landing site, busily toying with the camera in his hands as it pecked the camera playfully.
"Oh my...what an unexpected company......"
"Well, little fella, that's not a toy you know?" Wane awkwardly smiled and muttered, trying to stay still as the white crow played with its new toy, there was a hint of helplessness in Wane's eyes as he stayed petrified in place, praying that the crow was gentle enough to leave the camera in one piece.
Wane's eyes darted around as a distress signal and soon his eyes met with a fair lady in an elegant deep plum dress and a fancy hat that cast a shadow over her contrasting bright eyes, there was a noticeable concerned and frustrated look on her face.

"Excuse me, is this bird yours? If so, what is its name?"
Almost immediately a purple-skinned girl came over and strike up a conversation with the lady, an old gentleman tailed the girl and entered the scene. Utterly confused, Wane could only stare at the group like a statue as he waited patiently for them to come to a resolution.

Last edited:
Chadwick immediately withdrew his hand from Thaddeus' upon hearing the young man's request. His face then pinched into an agitated scowl.
"Oh, so you hope to snag some of the Constabulary's fame do you?" The Inspector scoffed, "Pah! You independent investigators are all the same; believing that somehow you could do what an entire squad of trained professionals can't,"
From behind him Jakob Martin seemed ready to speak up, perhaps in Thaddeus' defense, but the young constable's objection was drowned out by Inspector Chadwick's heated tirade.
"We have no need of your kind bungling this case and in all honesty I should fire the detective who allowed you to interfere in the Jennings case!"
And with that Chadwick stalked away from Thaddeus while throwing out a hissed "good evening to you, sir," over his broad shoulders. Five of the constbles followed dutifully behind him, one stayed behind. Jakob stared at Thaddeus for a second, some inner conflict apparent in his steel grey eyes. Then one side of that conflict seemed to win as Jakob approached the investigator with a determined set to his shoulders.
"I apologize for that, sir" he said sincerely.
"Truly, that man is a plague on our force,"

~0~
It another section of the ballroom Mother Fiona Cambridge was positively beaming. She could scarcly believe that the museum was finally ready to open it's doors to the public. It had taken years and many delays but in the end the Good Lord smiled upon their endeavor; making Mother Fiona's dream a reality. A place where the many talented artists and inventors can immortalize their projects for future generations to enjoy and be inspired by. As the older woman glided from guest to guest and offering them a kindly greeting a young man with mahogany hair caught her attention. She could sense discomfort emminating from the lad and suddenly Mother Fiona was making her way towards him. Maybe she could help him? After all it would be a shame for someone to be unhappy during a lovely night such as this.
"Good Evening my child," she greeted while smiling congenially, making the many wrinkles on her face become more prominent as a result.
"Are you doing all right? I hope this gathering isn't causing you any distress,"

~0~
When Cassandra had greeted him the strange man abruptly looked up at her. A crooked, yet genuine smile appeared on his face at the woman's question.
"Oh, no miss I'm perfectly fine. Suppose I got lost in this building's architecture, truly a prime example of Caliburn ingenuity," he stated with pride evident in his voice. Suddenly a harsh coughing fit sent him doubling over.
" *COUGH.*..blast this...*COUGH, COUGH*...dreaded cough," the man sputtered. After a full minuet the hacking seemed to have subsided a he let out a sigh of relief.
"Damn chest cold. The doctor said it should've cleared up by now..."

Surprised by such the about turn in face Cassandra's body, unable to flinch, stayed steady and calm and collected as she gazed into the strange man's face. It was a bit unsettling but he looks so sickly that Cassandra was worried for him. Seeing a smile on his face she met him with a kind smile of her own. What a nice smile even from such a somber looking man. I hope he's alright.

Hearing the man in such a steady and prideful tone on the architecture of the building only to begin coughing fervently. Watching as the man doubled over into a coughing fit. "Oh! Goodness! Are you alright sir?!" Reaching out for him she hesitated for a fraction of a second before patting his back. Watching him worriedly as he continued to cough she knew that she had to do something. Frantically looking around for something to help him with she grabbed a waiter's arm. "Could you please bring us a cup of hot tea with honey, quickly?!"

Turning her attention back to the coughing man she spoke to him worriedly. "Please sir you should sit down for a moment. Let me lead you to a seat." Gently ushering the man to some chairs beside the door she helped him sit as the waiter came back with the cup of tea. Thanking the waiter she took the tea and offered it to the gentleman who'd finally stopped his coughing fit. "Here drink this, it should help." Giving the man time to recover and take a few breaths Cassandra spoke up. "Are you sure you're alright? If you have a chest cold you should be resting. The doctor should have told you that."

Abeline had come in a little late as she actually wrote things down in her notebook about all the different architecture seen outside the building. She wasn’t interested in the food nor the other guests as she was there for research purposes. Abeline slowly made her way through the bustly crowds as she would once in a while accidentally bump someone and shoot them an apologetic look. She was nervous around this many people but if she wanted more research, she’ll have to deal with it. Mostly she would keep her head down as she wasn’t too fond of people looking at her in eyes. Abeline was born differently as she grew up with white hair and red eyes. Some believed she was albino, which she found rude. But she ignored it as she would continue with her task.

Thaddeus had clung onto the hope that he might have caught the inspector in a good mood, but all his research on the man had pointed to this as the inevitable outcome. A shame, but, a necessary step. He could not very well do anything about the case without the police force first knowing who he was, and even as he was making a swift enemy of Chadwick, he could see the sympathy in the constables' eyes. The constables that would likely be the ones in the field, at the crime scenes, and with the power to let him in.
Thaddeus held his breath as Chadwick berated him, and tried his best to look like a kicked puppy under the harsh words.
"Of course sir." Thaddeus replied politely to the dismissal. "Good evening."
Once Chadwick had turned to go however Thaddeus gave a knowing smile to the young constable.
"No need to apologize to me when you are graced with his presence every day."
He stepped just a little closer and said in a hushed voice: "The cases of this strange illness have me worried however, any information you could pass on to me now may have great benefit in the future. The slightest detail could be important."
The man at the doors began to cough, distracting him for a moment. A young woman was trying to help him. Just then something clicked in his mind.
"Perhaps we can start...with the initial symptoms?"

Ignoring the man's words, Rook began imitating the sound of the camera shutter in between curious pecks. For Katherine it would be obvious as to what he wanted; a picture of himself, but to the ordinary man he could only play a game of charades.

Katherine hurried over to the man, well as much as she could without tripping on the folds of her dress. Honestly the man's reaction was priceless, and in any other circumstance she would probably have been doubled-over in laughter by now. However, her dear bird was making quite the scene and she didn't want to run the risk of being kicked out of the party. At least not this early into the night. She hardly had any food!

"Sorry about that... some birds are a little..." she said, narrowing her eyes at Rook, "...annoying." At the comment, Rook momentarily stopped his investigation of the camera to caw disapprovingly at her. Kat gave a sigh and motioned to the bird to come towards her. "Leave the poor man and his camera alone."

The bird actually looked like he was considering it when a girl approached and asked about his name. He began hopping up and down excitedly on the man's hat, clearly enjoying the attention. "Rook" the crow croaked out proudly. "ROOK.ROOK!" He puffed up his feathers (so he looked better) and stared down at the girl below, twisting his head every now and then so that his crimson eyes could get a better look at her. "What is it's name?" he seemed to ask, mimicking the girl's voice perfectly.

Katherine gave the man acting as Rook's perch a helpless shrug and turned to look at the girl. She gave a small smile, "Yes this is my lovely bird...for better or for worse. Don't worry, he's friendly to everything but shiny objects. Careful though, he's got an ego roughly the size of a steamboat."

As she spoke Katherine looked at the girl curiously. 'Now that's an interesting eye color' she thought, 'and the skin around them looks purplish. If I knew any better I'd say it screams of flesh deprived of oxygen. Much like the southern stalkers or... perhaps a voodoo zombi? She doesn't smell of rot though. How intriguing~! Maybe I can ask her about it? Wait, she is wearing a hood so maybe I'm not supposed to know. Oh but it is such a cute disguise~!'

Before Kat could think of a way to ask about the girl's appearance, a man approached the three of them and took the girl's hand. 'Ah ha, here we have the father?' She looked at the man's crisp suit and sharp features but nothing held her gaze longer than the yellow of his eyes. 'Now this is getting interesting. Dad's got funky eyes too. OOh! I wonder if this is a family thing. Hopefully they didn't mess around with a demon. Nah, doesn't smell like demons. Could be a curse...'

"Oh do not worry, she did nothing wrong at all! Curiosity is never a bad thing! This very museum is dedicated to such inquisitive minds after all!" she said with a laugh. She glanced momentarily to the unlucky photographer and gave him a slight smirk, feeling a little bad for him but at the same time finding the whole situation humorous. At this point Rook was going to become a permanent accessory on his hat. "Besides, I think Rook here has taken a shining to her. It's probably the eyes." she added while looking back to the father.

Dreamtique Dreamtique thefinalgirl thefinalgirl

The professor looked at the young witch as she mentioned Maria's behavior. "Well, looks like I can leave you on your own then, let's meet-up at the entrance after the party.", Levi said as he left with a friendly wave and proceeded to go at the opposite direction of the trio. He was slightly worried for the zombie, having her out in the open with strangers that he hadn't fully known yet. As he was exploring the building, he noticed the figures of notable guests in the room he's currently in. It was Mother Fiona Cambridge, a respectable woman of faith attending this evening ball. Levi admired her from afar, wondering how is her life currently.
As Professor Levi left, Maria continued chatting with the girl, "Thank you, I guess.". she pulled her hood more, trying to hide her face from the world. She would be called a freak if anyone sees a purplish girl with a mouth that has stitched, forming some kind of bars that does not let her soul out from her body.
Maria was born into a family of Opera Singers at her time. Her family had rivals that were envious of their talent. A gun woman eventually eliminated everyone from her family. As she was about to escape the wrath of the woman, she was caught. The girl was grabbed by her hair and made the gun woman made her lean against a wall. She followed as she had no choice, letting a shot pass through her back shoulders while piercing her ribs. The wound could be seen present day but what remains of it is a scar. The girl woke up, with her mouth stitched and her skin and eyes turning to unnatural colors. She could feel a stinging pain from her back as she noticed that her mouth had strings. She looked at the moon above her, blood red with all it's glory.
Maria looked up to the girl in the witch hat and asked her, "Have you ever felt lonely in this world?", she looked at her with longing eyes, wanting love but not knowing where to truly get it from. "If so, would you kindly tell me how you felt?", the purple zombie crossed her arms as she looked down at the floor, slightly reflecting her face.
Interacting With|Katherine Juju Juju

Last edited:
At Thaddeus' quiet, yet serious request Jakob obliged, schooling his young, freckled face into a mask of professionalism as he listed off the information.
"Well sir, according to multiple witness testimonies the initial symptoms are rather varied. Ranging from mood swings to absent mindedness. However we've discovered that as the illness progresses it's effects start to become uniform," the constable began while reaching into his jacket pocket to retrieve a small, leather bond notebook. Opening it's crisp, white pages Jakob read out the meticulous notes he'd jotted onto them.
"First the victim develops a rather severe cough that grows worse until the transformation. Then a series of black rashes will appear on the body, the most common places being the back, chest, arms, and face...."

~0~
As the strange man accepted the woman's offered tea, drinking it down in four gulps, he gave thanks for her kind ministrations. Upon hearing Cassandra's question he waved away her concerns. To anyone who was watching closely they would have noticed his shirt sleeve hike up a bit when he preformed the gesture, exposing a myriad of dark spots on his upper wrist that traveled up his arm.
"What, and miss the chance to see one of my only grandson's inventions get inducted into this fine establishment?" he inquired with good humor evident in his voice.....

~0~
"....bloody noses, muscle weakness..."
~0~
....Suddenly the older gentleman seemed to lose his grip on the tea cup which then shattered once it hit the floor.
"Oh! Blast it!" he muttered before bending over to collect the pieces. He then pulled out a handkerchief to gather the pieces in. There were faded, reddish-brown splotches on the white fabric.....

~0~
"...and finally the victim's eyes change to a gold coloration hours before the actual transformation,"
Once finished Jakob snapped his notebook closed and looked back to Thaddeus expectantly.
"I hope this information proves useful. Why in the world Inspector Chadwick insisted on us keeping this from the public I'll never know," he said, frustration evident in his voice.

Thaddeus listened intently, committing the details to his excellent memory. He had so many more questions, but the shattering of the porcelain cup drew his attention half-way through Jakob's recitation. The young lad continued despite the distraction but Thaddeus was unable to tear his eyes away. He had seen the dark rashes on the man's arms, the aged blood on the handkerchief. With the cough...The pieces snapped together into the alarming truth. It couldn't be...
He was reaching out before he truly thought. He took the constable by the arm urgently. "You need to get everyone out. Now." Then he was moving, heading towards the man now on the floor, trying to gather pieces of a broken cup. He only turned back once to say: "We have a case here. Move, quickly!"
Then he was running, closing the distance to the gentleman and the woman helping him.

"Stay back please!" He called to Cassandra, "My name is detective Thaddeus Gray. You need to stand away, this man may be contagious, it might not be safe."
He knelt by the man, placing a hand on his shoulder and one under his chin. "Let me see your eyes. The colour. This is very important."

Simple_Traveler Simple_Traveler The Suspicious Eye The Suspicious Eye

Cassandra smiled as the man took the tea and thanked her for it, giving a warm smiles she nodded. "It's my pleasure." Watching him as he rested the empty tea cup in his hand she wasn't one to notice such minute things of his shirt sleeve hiking up and the dark spots on his wrist. Instead she noticed the smile in his eyes as he talked proudly of his grandson's inventions and the humanity exuding form him. It was absolutely refreshing to see, it was that humanity that she loved to see in interacting with others. "Oh? Who's your grandson?"

However, she didn't get her answer instead the grip on the tea cup loosened and shattered onto the floor with a loud clatter. She looked over at the kind man and worriedly and followed him to the floor. Seeing the stained handkerchief she began to worry how his chest cold truly was. This didn't seem normal and she started worry for his health. Raising a gentle hand she shook her head, "no. Please let me. You'll hurt yourself if you're not careful." Pausing for a moment she looked at him, "are you sure you're alright?"

"Stay back please!"

Looking up to the source of the voice, she didn't move but watch as this strange new man came over. Quickly introducing himself as a detective she was surprised that she never heard of such before. Thinking back to her time here she did recall that the professor mentioned detectives. Oh like the police! Wait what is he saying? Beginning to pay attention to what was going on she watched as he took the elderly man's face into his hand and mentioned something about his eyes.Trying to recall what he said before she realized he said he was contagious. "Hey! Wait a moment! Don't treat him so roughly! He's ill, right?" Placing a hand on Thaddus's shoulder she pushed him back ever so slightly as not to accidentally push the man's arm off with he strength. "You should stay back too, if he's contagious you may get sick as well. I've taken care of sick people before. Please let me handle this." She looked over to the elderly man and gave him a smile. "He's here to see his grandson's work afterall, right? He means no harm to anyone." Gently extending her hand to him she went to help the man up.

Simple_Traveler Simple_Traveler SilverFlight SilverFlight

When the father figure left so quickly Kat blinked blankly in surprise. Maybe he wasn't the father after all? Were they dealing with a hostage situation? Eh, none of her business anyway.

"Lonely?" Kat said, raising an eyebrow at the girl's strange question. "Well, everyone has felt lonely at some point. Though lucky for me I have Rook here to keep me company." She smiled up at the crow who was happily nestled on top of the man's hat like a giant white puffball. It occurred to her that she should try to get him off, but the man didn't seem to be in much distress after the camera was left alone.

When the girl looked down at the floor Kat was able to get a clearer look at her reflection. Mouth sewn shut, eyes dull and red, skin a bludgeoned purple. Definitely a zombie, though rather thoughtful for one. She must have been turned while fresh. Or perhaps on a powerful lunar day? Regardless, that man was foolish to let an undead construct run around unchecked.

"I'm sure even sir...? Oh I didn't even ask about your name! Forgive me for that!" she said with a laugh. "What was your name? I'm Kat by the way."
Dreamtique Dreamtique thefinalgirl thefinalgirl

As the professor admired the woman from afar, he heard a cup crash to the floor. This sound made him worried for Maria but he let his worries aside for now and proceeded to go to the location of Mother Fiona. "Good evening, madame. How is your life doing?", Levi said as he smiled and handed out a rose to the woman. He liked the way on how she maintained her composure as when time would become rough on certain days.
He knew that he swinged the other way when it comes love but he preferred to be seen as a gentleman in the eyes of women. His realization was when he was in the years of his 20's. He fell in love with a man he met on his way to a bakery that he would go to every weekend. At first, he didn't realize it was love but by the time the man went away, he regretted on not saying his feelings. As time went on, he moved on. Life took him to many places he never knew, wonders and curiosities that he kept to himself.
As the man went to talk with the nun, Maria was feeling melancholic with her questioning the validity of her existence. "My name? People forget information that is not important to them in the long run but I might as well tell you.", the girl looked up at into the woman's eyes, staring with her blood red sockets, "Maria Roseli, that's my name. And that's all you need to know.". She removed her hood but still kept her cape. The girl was anxious on what reaction would Kat give when seeing her face clearly.
¤INTERACTING¤LEVIATHAN > MOTHER FIONA Simple_Traveler Simple_Traveler MARIA > KATHERINE Juju Juju

Mother Fiona turned to the voice, her face lighting up when offered a rose of the richest shade for red.
"Oh my, how lovely!" she beamed while accepting the flower. Fiona looked up at the man, that happy twinkle still very much present in her forrest green eyes, and bowed slightly.
"I thank you for this gift and your inquiry. I am doing very well, especially tonight," the good lady paused for a moment, a faint trace of tears in her eyes, "I almost can't believe it, that after seven long years this place is finally able to be opened to the public. But as always The Good Lord and honest work were able to plow through these difficulties and give the people one of the things they desperately needed,"
When she'd finished talking Mother Fiona seemed startled by something before her cheeks reddened slightly in embarrassment.
"Ah! Where are my manners? I am terribly sorry, I hadn't meant to keep going on like that!" Fiona then reached forward with her free hand, "How do you do my dear fellow? My name is Mother Fiona Cambridge,"

~0~
The older gentleman reflexively jerked out of the man's grip before looking at him in surprised bewilderment.
"Good Lord! What ever is the matter old chap!? What's this about 'contagious'?" he asked, crawling back a few inches in case he was grabbed again. When the young woman offered her hand to him the gentleman took in with a thankful smile.
"Thank you my dear. Young man, why don't we continue this conversation standing up, yes? It is most vexing to try discussion while sitting on a rather hard fl-fl-Ack!"
Just as his was about to take the young lady's hand a sharp cry of pain ripped itself from the gentleman's throat as he doubled over into an agony induced ball. The top hat that obscured the top half of his face was jarred from his head upon his impact with the floor. A pair of golden eyes looked up pleadingly at the detective and lady before they slammed closed. Seconds later more screams came from the man, as well as a series of sickening noises that sounded like the breaking and popping of bone and ripping of flesh.

~0~
Jakob Martin rushed through the crowd, desperately trying to make for the stage a the northern side of the ballroom. Thaddeus' urgent order still rang in his ears. The detective had seen something and when Jakob saw him make for an older man that was on the floor the young constable's blood turned to ice.
'Not here, please God not here!' Constable Martin thought frantically. Memories of bodies torn apart into bloody pieces and golden eyed, twisted abominations flooded his distressed mind. If someone had actually turned in a place such as this, with this many people.....
"Constable! Constable Martin!"
A rough hand grabbing his shoulder dragged Jakob from the horrifying visions. He whirled abruptly to Inspector Chadwick, his face pale and breath coming in panicked gasps.
"Sir! We must evacuate this room immediately...!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back