Other Christmas presents - seeking inspiration

Silanon

Four Thousand Club
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Alrighty, wise people of RPN,
it's that time of the year again. The shops are full, people are in hectic, and we probably focus too much on things that really should be less important - but oh well, that's how things are, apparently. So we gotta get out there, find the little thing that'll be appreciated; but how to do that, when you have no fricking clue what to look out for? You know, sometimes, you stumble over just the right thing. But other times, you're not as lucky, and there's that one person where you have no clue at all. And so you ask them if there's something they might need, and you rejoice when they hand you this long, awesome list of things, and then you read through it and there's literally not a single thing on there that you personally care about. Like, books about topics that only make you shake your head. Clothing that'll just gather dust. Music CD's where you'd turn off the cd player at the first opportunity. That sort of thing, and the list goes on.

So, I've got a few too many people of that kind in my family, so I seek inspiration for awesome gifts that I might not have thought about. Of course, there's the usual hints, like 'do something yourself' - not really my strength, and time's lacking. Or 'some kind of decoration' - house is full of that. 'Group activities' - sure, always, but we still didn't do the last three things we tried to do. So I figured - there's gotta be people out there in a similar situation. And people who solved similar 'problems' in the past. Maybe there's some inspiration to be found.

Of course, this doesn't need to be restricted to Christmas presents. Some of us don't celebrate it. Others don't do the Christmas present thing. But birthday presents, and the like - same thought process, so they'd fit in here just as well. Let me know if there's something out there that has proven to be just the right thing.

I'll start with something simple. You know these tear-off calendars with jokes, or cool scientific facts, or quotes on there? A few years back, I got one for my sister, in an act of desparation. Things escalated quickly, to a point where we basically exchange calendars on Christmas Eve. You know, you get something out of it every single day. You've got something to laugh, or think about every day, and likely something you never thought about before. So yeah - that one worked out better than expected.

One of my favorite things I got: Socks! Not the usual ones, but special ones you use for running. You know, after I'd run for about a year, regularly. Not expensive, but one little thing that says: Hey, you're doing this one thing, and it's cool that you do it. Those kind of gifts are hard to find, sometimes, but, you know - look out for 'em.

So, anything you want to share? Any gifts that worked really well, or surprisingly poorly? Lemme know, even if it's not the right thing, it might get the brain cells to think in another direction.

Last edited:
Honestly, I’m the big photographer of my family (besides my mom) and I’ve been gifting photograph-themed stuff as of last year and this year. Last year, I got photo albums for each of my siblings and parents, then filled them with mostly photographs I had taken, but I was forced to use some of my mom’s since I don’t always take pics of my family. This year, I’m making “Picture Frame Luminaries”, as everyone in my family still has room for more decorations in their bedrooms. There are many ways to use photographs as a gift without them having to be framed or used as a decoration per say. I already am planning on using a Polaroid Lab device next year to gift everyone several Polaroids to change things up from the usual 4x6 photographs I give.

Photos are certainly a good hint - I might have overdone them a little over the past few years, since I had quite a bit of material after a longer trip; but it's worth a thought. Certainly always something that's appreciated, at least in my family... thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back