• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Chat Room

waifu

චᆽච
OOC

tumblr_ml0r0bMg8f1r4g0t2o1_500.gif

There's still some time for the RP to begin, but it'd be nice to have a discussion going. How many moves should a player be able to do?

The interest thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it should depend on if PP is still a thing in this. If it isn't, staying with four might be best. If it is, then more than four could be better.

I vote in favor of a limited moveset. That way, each move can be more interesting not only in power budget (if you have 500 moves available at all times, none of them can be particularly strong otherwise you have the power to completely blow someone up at all times), but also in how people are forced to use them in interesting ways. It also helps for playing against, since it's a lot easier to know the realm of possibilities with four moves instead of 500.

Ah! Both of you have good points. How about six moves? I feel like that's fair since we don't have a team of pokemon to fight for us anymore.

I would like for PP is still a thing! It would be too easy otherwise.

The six abilities is good along with the PP, what if we kept tally of the PP of the move so when it's used up we know not to use the move any more.

Also would Mega evolution be part of it? I know that we may end up picking Pokémon that Mega Evolve.

Six sounds decent, as long as the world isn't going to be full of small trees to cut and waves that one must surf across :P Swim floaties for everyone!

I've been designing a realtime Pokemon combat system, and as for PP, I'd suggest a mana/energy system, instead.

How it would work:

Combat is resolved out of character, first. Each character starts the fight at full energy (this can be around 5 or something, based on character)

Players receive energy in an alternating pattern: one character describes his actions in order, giving his enemy time to decide whether or not she wants to use a move to block, counter, parry, or interrupt him. Once he has used as many of his energy as he wishes to (holding any in reserve to use on her turn, or to save for a more expensive spell next turn), it becomes her turn. Since her turn has started, she gets some number of energy this turn (maybe 2), and then the pattern has started again from where we had it before.

For instance:

Charizard vs Eevee

Charizard get initiative. He starts with his max energy of 6, and generates 2. Sadly, he's already at his cap, so those two go away.

He decides to use Flamethrower, a channeled ability that uses 4 energy and deals some amount of damage right away, followed by a lot of damage if it's not interrupted before his turn ends.

Eevee, who starts with her max energy of 5, decides that she does not want to take that extra damage from flamethrower, so says that she's going to use Tackle to interrupt the attack.

Charizard is now down to 2 energy, and decides to declare his turn over, since he wants some extra in order to dodge during Eevee's turn.

Eevee's turn rolls around. She starts with 4 energy (1 was used on Tackle earlier), and generates 2 energy per turn. She returns to her cap of 5.

Eevee decides to use some attack, etc. etc.

Then, they each work on a dramatized IC post about how the whole battle went.

waifu said:
Ah! Both of you have good points. How about six moves? I feel like that's fair since we don't have a team of pokemon to fight for us anymore.
I would like for PP is still a thing! It would be too easy otherwise.
I would even go as far as to opt for 10 since thats normally the amount of spells you can quickly use in mmos (i.e 0-9)

I agree on keeping PP, it'll keep to the Pokemon theme and make the fights fairer. Wouldn't want anyone spamming Protect or anything like that. And I think 6 would be good enough for our purposes.

[QUOTE="Creepypasta Hound]The six abilities is good along with the PP, what if we kept tally of the PP of the move so when it's used up we know not to use the move any more.
Also would Mega evolution be part of it? I know that we may end up picking Pokémon that Mega Evolve.

[/QUOTE]
Tallying would be a good idea.

Also, yes. I did mention mega evolution does take place in Pokemon Link.

FancyKiddo said:
Six sounds decent, as long as the world isn't going to be full of small trees to cut and waves that one must surf across :P Swim floaties for everyone!
I've been designing a realtime Pokemon combat system, and as for PP, I'd suggest a mana/energy system, instead.

How it would work:

Combat is resolved out of character, first. Each character starts the fight at full energy (this can be around 5 or something, based on character)

Players receive energy in an alternating pattern: one character describes his actions in order, giving his enemy time to decide whether or not she wants to use a move to block, counter, parry, or interrupt him. Once he has used as many of his energy as he wishes to (holding any in reserve to use on her turn, or to save for a more expensive spell next turn), it becomes her turn. Since her turn has started, she gets some number of energy this turn (maybe 2), and then the pattern has started again from where we had it before.

For instance:

Charizard vs Eevee

Charizard get initiative. He starts with his max energy of 6, and generates 2. Sadly, he's already at his cap, so those two go away.

He decides to use Flamethrower, a channeled ability that uses 4 energy and deals some amount of damage right away, followed by a lot of damage if it's not interrupted before his turn ends.

Eevee, who starts with her max energy of 5, decides that she does not want to take that extra damage from flamethrower, so says that she's going to use Tackle to interrupt the attack.

Charizard is now down to 2 energy, and decides to declare his turn over, since he wants some extra in order to dodge during Eevee's turn.

Eevee's turn rolls around. She starts with 4 energy (1 was used on Tackle earlier), and generates 2 energy per turn. She returns to her cap of 5.

Eevee decides to use some attack, etc. etc.

Then, they each work on a dramatized IC post about how the whole battle went.
That's a great idea, but honestly, I want to keep the battling simple. I'm trying to just focus on the story line. I wanted us to use our imagination and take liberties when writing those kind of scenes. I don't want them to be really dragged on for pages.

Seeing all of you guys enthusiastic about the battling though, would any of you be interested in a Battle Area thread? You guys can rolaplay PvP fights there, and it'll be completely unrelated to the story. Set your own rules, make them as long as you guys want, etc..

Azuria said:
I would even go as far as to opt for 10 since thats normally the amount of spells you can quickly use in mmos (i.e 0-9)
Turnip said:
I agree on keeping PP, it'll keep to the Pokemon theme and make the fights fairer. Wouldn't want anyone spamming Protect or anything like that. And I think 6 would be good enough for our purposes.
Hmm, I'll think some more about this.

Ah, I must have made a misunderstanding along the way. I'm not a huge fan of combat in my RPs (especially PvP) since it's very hard to do combat in a way that makes everyone involved feel good about the whole thing.

I was only addressing the issue because you asked about it first, so I figured that it is setting up to be a big part of the RP!

Onto a different subject, then; when you say Gijinka, do you mean that our people will be human characters running around in Pokemon costumes in the game world? Or are things going to be closer to the Pokemon side of things than that?

a battle thread is a good idea so fights can be a little more dragged out and interesting without swamping the main rp thread with posts 90% of the other rpers wont care about.

FancyKiddo said:
I was only addressing the issue because you asked about it first, so I figured that it is setting up to be a big part of the RP!

Onto a different subject, then; when you say Gijinka, do you mean that our people will be human characters running around in Pokemon costumes in the game world? Or are things going to be closer to the Pokemon side of things than that?
Oh, you're fine. I really appreciate your suggestion!

By gijinka, I mean human characters that are fused with pokemon. They're not wearing costumes, but the pokemon features have become part of their physical appearance? For example! Multiple players in PL can be the same pokemon but look completely different because of customization/equipment.

Azuria said:
a battle thread is a good idea so fights can be a little more dragged out and interesting without swamping the main rp thread with posts 90% of the other rpers wont care about.
Sure.

Yeah, I like the idea of the battle thread!

Also! I was wondering if there'd be Pokemon contests, like Hoenn and Sinnoh etc.? I'm not sure if that's a thing you're going for with the whole MMO setting, but it seems like a fun idea to work with!

Sure! I don't mind that kind of stuff at all. You guys can totally implement things from the pokemon games, be creative and fun!

Well we've probably exhausted that topic for now, so... what Pokemans you guys thinking of choosing? :P

I'm going for Empoleon, I found a good design I really liked and it's one of my favorites! Also my first starter since I got into Pokemon late.

I'm not too sure what Pokemon I want to play right now, I've been trying to figure that out. Not much luck yet though...

I'm really considering doing a Houndoom because it's what I used for a gijinka many years ago. But I might do something different, Ampharos or Goodra has popped into mind as well~

Butterfree!
latest

Oh hey, that looks cool! I might just post my characters' pokemon sprites at the beginning of their scenes.

I actually like the idea about using mana / energy instead of PP.

As for my Pokémon, I'm really thinking about rolling with Pidgey and the evolutions (that is if we are doing an evolution system, yes?). That or Eevee.

I just realized something. I said earlier that we don't fight pokemon in my summary post, but how else are we going to train? What is a MMO without its monsters? Welp.... Time to make changes.

Well, I didn't know what we'd fight, but you did mention that there were specific areas in which we would fight, so I just assumed that you were confused, or it was a PvP only game ^.^

ETA: Just to be clear, we're still going with "you can start at whatever evolution level you want," right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back