Advice/Help Character Sheets - What are the most essential parts of a character?

Also if anxiety is their biggest issue I think GojiBean GojiBean might be on the right track.

I used to suffer social anxiety myself (still do just to a much lesser extent) and the thing that helped me the most was honestly pushing myself out of my comfort zone and essentially exposure therapy. (Well that and learning self soothing skills but you can’t very well do that for them).

You can however put them in a situation where they have to face their fears. Have them actually express what they are worried about happening.

If they make a mistake or get something wrong what exactly do they think will happen? Now what actually happens?

If their anxiety is related to behavior that is actually occurring then you/your friends can watch for that behavior. But more than likely they are just building things up in in their own head.

And truly the only way to get past that is to put yourself in the scary situation and realize the scary things are all in your head. The world isn’t ending, no one else actually notices or cares.

If anything at a certain point you are just going to start feeding into the anxiety. Because your going to get them hyper focused on so called “fixes” that don’t actually take the anxiety away. Because anxiety isn’t a rational thing you can take away by just giving a cheat code.

You have to learn to self soothe (which they would need to do themselves with the help of a trained professional) and you need to expose yourself to the situation that’s making you nervous and face your fear.

(I mean expect them to have a lot of trouble initially and possibly have some panic or anxiety attacks. But as mean as it seems it really will help in the long run. They will either get better or they will realize this just isn’t something they can overcome right now. In either case you will have done all YOU can do to help).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back