• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Character Sheets Linked in RPs

PyroWarriorZ

Dragon Knight
Ok I know most of this is impossible and really hard to code, but I wondered if even just pieces might be possible.

Personally I know in RPs with lots of members and characters, you forget stuff about characters. So you go to Character Sheets tabs and have to sift through them to find the character of the member you want to remind yourself about that character and their abilities or details.

So this is the full idea, obviously not fully possible most likely. In each members post, attached to their member info (Aka, avatar, posts, etc) Could be a small link to their post of their character in Character Sheet for that RP, obviously becomes more difficult if they have multiple characters :(

Maybe if even it could just be an editable field when a person just puts the link to their character sheet post themselves.

Like I said I know this is complicated especially since it'd be different for each RP, but I was just wondering how much of this, if any of it is possible and worth trying to implement?

It's necessary and we can definitely do without, but I think it'd make a nice addition and useful if we could just have that quick link to your character for that RP for quick reference. Like I said, I know it's a very difficult thing to do, so I'm just asking and see if even part of it is possible and maybe worthwhile?

I can't break it down by "RP" but all users have a list of characters in their profile. For example if I want to see your characters I click on the "characters" tab within your profile which shows me these 2 characters.

There is no way for the system to identify their character that is linked to a specific thread & a specific character. Not to mention, half the characters are not actually in the gallery as much as I wish they all were.

I suggest being the pioneer that you are, creating a special way to link them in your signature using tabs or some neat format. I am open to displaying your characters easily & can probably create something like THAT but auto-linking based on the RP you are in is impossible. =(

Yes, I figured that was most difficult part. Also with links to those two characters, well as you said not everyone makes those as they are difficult to make and sometimes we only want the short version put in Character Sheets within the RP.

Making members use that one would encourage them to use that Character Sheet more, but is forcing them.

Maybe instead of under profile, maybe under each post like we have signature. We could have a small collapsable section, above OOC comments probably. That when uncollapsed, brings up a set of links with your's characters name - The name of RP they are in.

That way you read a person's post, forget their character's details. Open up that section like a spoiler, lookig for the character and the Rp name (Vital as some people have characters with same name in multiple RP), they click that link and goes to that specific post of their Character Sheet.

Of course this would be something they would do themselves, like how they edit signature, there would be a section where you could put in Character's Name, RP Name, link to post. Then you press add and afterwards it allows you to add another one. Would also be nice if it automatically grouped characters in the same RP together, because sometimes you only add a new character to the same RP later and it'd be nice if they were rather together, but not necessary. Save that for later.

Anyway, what do you think Ace?

It would be a partial commitment on the RP author's part, but you could just add tabs to the first post on the CS tab, one for each character either copying the information or the link to the character or the link to the user's SU post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back