Character Development Activities

zCrookedz

The Z's are silent

boss-key-productions-concept-art-depository-first-project-bluestreak-character-design-t-a-s-c-evolution-iteration-2-imgur.jpg

Here the RPer's will be able to post their responses to the current Character Development Activity posted in the Cantina. 

Last edited by a moderator:

[SIZE= 22px]Inspiration Activity[/SIZE]

d9c9a4b681b58acc3281a8d8790a2490.jpg

For those of you have RP'd with me before, this will likely not be the first time you have seen me use this picture of this handsome fellow. For those of you who haven't or don't know who the gentleman is, well I'm about to tell ya. This is Jayne Cobb, a smuggler who worked for captain Malcolm Reynolds aboard the Serenity in the popular TV show, Firefly. His rough, and somewhat dim, personality was my main inspiration for Hunter "Iron FIst" Cael. I have been a long time fan of the show Firefly, and Jayne was always my favorite character. Though he may be rough, brutish, and the but of jokes by the crew due to his slightly uneducated demeanor; he remained loyal to Captain Reynolds through all of their adventures together.

Honestly, it's a bit hard for me to pinpoint an exact inspiration for Larassa and her planet of anthros. I'd have to say that the likely culprit would be Zootopia. I sanctioned off parts of the planet for different type of animals to live, much like how Zootopia has the Jungle biome, Tundra, etc. I also have always been a huge fan, I guess kinda like a furry, of anthros in general. I love the appearance and the fact that they're portrayed like humans, but have natural agility and strength because of their animal counterparts. So yeah, I basically wanted an anthro world and then I figured that it'd be really cool if they were tribal primarily and not always focused on technology advances so much as keeping the tribe together and providing for each other. It just seems like such a peaceful place to live. Naturally, Larassa is far from a peaceful being herself, but I like to think that she used to feel peaceful and happy where she was before things got turned upside-down for her. As for Larassa, I guess I also subconsciously used Nick from Zootopia as my basis for Larassa, but like I said before, I literally just kinda came up with everything on the spot.

3f7267b3788c5bba9b7480aa1e24efa4.jpg

I've always had a preference for... "humanoid" characters, as can be seen with Ember, Artemis and any of the other characters that are to come in the future and the back story of a character was always something that I went a lot into detail with, especially with Artemis.

bundle.jpg

I guess my main inspiration for Artemis was the Project Skins from league of legends, specifically Project Katarina and Project Fiora. Regarding her looks and much of her actual bio, I worked on only once I'd found a picture for her with a general idea of what i wanted in my head when i surfed google images. 

Once i had a picture that i felt "looked" like what i wanted, all the other details, the name, her back story and what not all fell into place. 

IMG_3584.JPG

Well Rosalyn and her race were inspired by a few things. The crystallization of the body I got from Emma Frost from the  x-men but that was about all I got from her. Form some shows i have watched I have seem that evolutionary wise to withstand from such high heats their bodies would be rocks or something like that. I thought I could use the crystallized form as a way to reflect the heat and keep a Srin's body cool. Instead of using Emma Frost ability to stop mind readying )wouldn't even be useful in this universe) and how she can use her finger to cut things (only really seen the movies where she can cut up ice from the artic. Please don't judge) I didn't particularly liked that and I liked the idea that it'll help with brute strength. I did this because of the type of animals I placed on their planet.  Before the Srins developed the technology they had they needed something to protect themselves.

Do to my major obsession with the show/manga Naruto I originally wanted to do something like the ninja did. They used their inner chakra to power themselves and use jutsu as their weapons. Since I didn't really want to copy that my next thought was what if they used their own blood to power everything? It made them unique to where outsiders couldn't use their weapons and also allowed for me to put a darker side to their society.

As for Rosalyn herself, well if you have rped with me before I tend to like to play the I don't give a rats who are you kind of person. Doesn't usually take given orders very well and tends to be more on the bad side. There really is no inspiration for it and I probably do it since I like rping people who have the complete opposite personality than I do. For her back story I felt that for someone to become a bad guy something tragic had to have happened and what better way to to that than one of her parents dying because of the other turning against them? When it is the mother doing it I feel as though there is more betrayal to it because the mother is supposed to be the loving caring one who is always there for them. The fact that her mom was willing to turn in the person whom she has loved for a long time made her not trust anyone and I just kind of went from there.

Considering this was an rp with criminals, I felt I should deviate from my usual characters. Those being nice, friendly people. I wanted someone with more of a stuck up attitude who really didn't care about anyone. It was obvious that a brutish like character could have easily been made but that isn't how I do things. I like to make it a little hard for myself when it comes to motives and character development. So I wanted someone more intellectual!

I will admit that at first I didn't really think of inspirations for my character. I usually create them on the fly after a short walk listening to music. The funny thing about inspirations is, sometimes you don't know you are actually taking things form characters you have seen. In this case, Spock! I didn't think of him at first but as I started replying more, I grew to find I had a more logical  feeling for Glo'cer. I also wanted to give him a little more of a condescending attitude which came from the feeling I got from Guardians of the Galaxy. Everyone felt they were better than one another and that everyone else was just dumb. 

As for his species, I just went with the picture itself. I looked up cool aliens on google and this one stuck out too me. His sleek design and bulbs on his body really sent my imagination on a ride. With that, I figured his fluids in his body would pose as one of the species traits. Of course, since this is space, we can imagine there being many different kinds of tech around. What better way to learn things than messing with them? So his hacking skills were developed.

His backstory isn't really based on anything as far as I have thought. I am sure there were some inspirations my subconscious pulled up but I am just unaware at the moment. A simple confinement, wish to be free, and escape backstory, it was. His motives were something I always like to use in characters though. Adventure is fun! What better way to adventure than the wish to learn everything you can? 

So there is Glo'cer. Our little Logical asshole in all his glory. 

I had a momentary panic moment when I saw this, because... well, where did Nu come from?

The easiest thing to admit is that her appearance is 100% because I love How to Train Your Dragon. That is where I started with her character; I wandered around on Google and Deviantart until I found something that struck me. And that one struck me because of how very similar it looks to Toothless. So there's that.

The rest of Nu relies heavily on her race, and what they are like. Now that I've thought about it a little, I think it has to do with my transition to college. I come from a much, much smaller town and a much less-well-off family than the vast majority of people here, and I definitely felt that when I was trying to settle in. So I created a character who went from happily struggling to fit in to a simple existence, to struggling to survive in a much more complicated existence.

The Kryx themselves are base loosely on native cultures, kind of a tribe mentality. I planned from the beginning to give Avalon a different meaning to Nu because of her race, and the perception of Avalon as a holy place, instead of one of technology, kind of showcases the type of people they are. The belief that the Kryx are descendants of the holy beings on Avalon explains their insistence on isolation and very subtle arrogance, which explains Nu's pride. Her banishment is explained by their emphasis on selflessness; all the Kryx must do their part so that one day they may rejoin their holy ancestors. Nu was too selfish, because she stole things. The Kryx reject technology because it is simply an imitation of holiness, so Nu uses only as much technology as she has to. The Kryx see themselves as the caretakers of the lesser worlds, meant to protect the lives and freedom of the lesser races, so Nu greatly prefers not to kill or even injure, and her abilities usually allow for this.

While Nu really, really dislikes working with other races (because they are lesser), a part of her just wants to go home. If Avalon really is their holy planet Vihalla, finding it might be her ticket back to her people.

Ok, well, since everyone has posted up their inspiration sources, I figured I should too. First of all, the name and partially the personality is obviously based off of Tiberius Julius Caesar. Tiberius was one of Rome's greatest generals but he came to be remembered as a dark, reclusive, and sombre ruler who never really desired to be emperor. He was actually called "the gloomiest of men." (source Wikipedia)

Tiberius’ clothing and weapons might also be familiar with a lot of you. As I tried to come up with a criminal occupation that hadn’t been picked already, my first thought was that of a vigilante. I used to be a great fan of the Arrow and Flash TV series but that interest kind of died off. The actual idea came from the Dishonored game. If you look up some pictures of the main protagonist Corvo you might find some obvious similarities – the long hooded coat and the shortsword. The sword is not retractable as in the game though and the blade is somewhat longer and slightly curved but you get the idea.

Now, I can’t currently think of any inspiration for the Gehennian race other than maybe The Elder Scrolls game series and the playable Argonian race there. Just that my guys have more animalistic legs and humanlike skulls, which both are complete opposites of the Argonians.

The planet Gehenna is also not even anywhere near just a fantasy. Planets circling around Gliese 581, a red dwarf star, are thought to be all tidally locked and they might be capable of supporting forms of Earth-like life in their circular belt which gives them an eyeball appearance, as all already mentioned in my CS.

christmas.png

HO HO HO!!! And Happy Holidays Merry Space Scum.

This will officially begin the start of our Happy Holidays Character Development Activity. (try saying that 5 times fast.)

White Uaccam Presents!

In the spirit of the holidays I would like for each of you to come up with a special gift for your white uaccam gift partner. With seven of us, Cael has been removed as Glak has sent him a special present. 

Do a little research into your partner's planet, their history, or their character sheet that is probably somewhere on the same page as yours; and come up with a gift that your character would present to the other. As always, you guys are free to be as creative as you like with your gift idea.

Your partner is listed below:

Artemis

&

Nu

Glo'cer

&

Larassa

Rosalyn

&

Tiberius

@Bolts @Flutterby @Ch3rryBlossom28 @Darkeina @Dominaiscna @Lioness075

@Ch3rryBlossom28

Tiberius decided to wait until everyone was occupied to retrieve the rectangular box he had hidden behind some crates in the main cargo hold. It was a place no one really checked, even after he had used it to efficiently hide from everyone’s sight a while back. He had done a last minute wrapping with some fine parchment paper and string made from a reed-like plant that was commonly used for their production on Gehenna. It wasn't as pretty as the traditional colorful wrapping paper but he was mostly counting on the contents than the looks.

istock_000003044603xsmall.jpg

He carried the present to the lounge area, avoiding detection while doing so, where Cael had put up a man-sized pine tree they had all beautifully decorated and placed it right under the branches. He lightly pulled at the fluffy ends of the string forming a bow at the front, made sure Rosalyn’s name tag was still clearly visible and only then did he carefully step away from the tree. His cover would be blown completely if one of his horns got caught in the decorations again and he really didn’t want to fight with Cael about almost knocking the tree over a second time.

After making sure every little ornament was still in its original place, Tiberius removed himself from the lounge area, but even though he was trying his best to direct his attention back to his own previous task, he just couldn’t stop worrying if the Srin would like what he had picked for her.

img-thing.jpg

Tiberius had really wanted to make this flower, the name of which resembled that of Rosalyn's in his opinion, but the overpriced traditional uaccam bones and tusks had quickly discouraged him from using them. Luckily, he had shed his skin a couple of weeks ago, as well as the bigger scutes on his back some time later, which he kept, suspecting that prices would rise during the holidays, and used them for his little project. Gehennians, in general, were pretty good craftspeople, partially due to the fact that they "produced" their materials a couple of times a year, and Tiberius was no exception. The results, with which he was pretty happy, was a palm-sized black rose blossom.

rosalyn.jpg

Tiberius had not only spent nearly an hour explaining Rosalyn’s appearance in detail to the self-proclaimed artist but also a small fortune on that portrait. He wasn’t entirely happy with the results but he couldn’t go running around with a picture of a notorious mercenary either. Besides, at the end of it, he was all out of patience to make corrections.

7.jpg

A big holiday like this was meaningless without a box of high-quality handmade chocolates and he knew that even if all failed and Rosalyn did not entirely like her other presents, they’d at least have some sweet treats.

@Lioness075

Glo'cer had spent the past week figuring out the basics of these "holiday" attractions. On his home planet, they had no need for such events and so this was his first holiday ever. After a rather... embarrassing talk with Cael about what the event was, Glo'cer took the time to calculate what would be a good gift to give to the Siklaid, Larassa. After some research on the limited information of her planet, the Solidus stumbled onto some interesting ideas for the items.  Scrounging around what materials he had, he stumbled onto a few that might actually work. He wasn't too informed on how the gift was to be presented, so he simply grabbed the nearest common box he could find. 

blue-box.jpg

He went to the tree that Cael had found somewhere and placed the box in clear view. He took the time to make it centered with the other boxes to seem more important than the others. Amused by his own work, he walked back to his quarters to work on whatever he had going on. 

Inside the box were three items:

fantasy_flower_by_pvtandersonbryce-d544jjy.jpg

Seeds to a native flower from his own planet. A bag he stole when he escaped just so happened to harbor them. From what he can remember, they would sometimes appear in the mass swirl during special times such as a Blue Blood like himself being born. They however have a strange nature to them. Which lead him to the next gift. 

oliver-brandt-mei-robot-002c.jpg

This is a portable snow making machine. It creates little flurries of snow from water placed inside. This gift goes well with the seeds as they need a cool climate to bloom. The mass swirl has a similar nature to snow. They both are cold and have plenty of moisture. On the small robot like device, a note card was placed. 

"The seeds need to be buried in snow and kept daily. I noticed you had searched for gardening tools." 

Lastly, Glo'cer couldn't help but make her something of actual use. The last present that was inside was a Laser sight for a bow. 

OM37643.jpg

This way, she could get accustom to more tech on her person and become even more accurate than before. He still found it strange she didn't use much tech. 

Rosalyn waited till everyone had gone to bed before walking into the room with the Christmas tree.  Christmas wasn't something her people celebrated but it was similar to one of holidays they did celebrate. It took a while to figure out what to get the Gehennian. It was a rule of Rosalyn's to never go out of her way to get to know someone, it was why she was such a terrible gift giver. She hoped the lizard will like what she had got him. Looking down at her gift she hoped the present didn't seem overly wrapped. Before she had time to regret everything she had gotten for him she placed the present down. next to the other two that where already there, one which had her name written on it. She was excited to see what Tiberius had gotten her and as much as she hated waiting, she wasn't going to be the one to rip open the present before the appropriate time.

15c4dfb19dc1d6a0f38f71693a8f2dd6.jpg

After placing the gift down she made sure Tiberius' name was clearly visible before leaving the room.

@Darkeina

The three present she had gotten him was:

tumblr_nlasm7gfxA1rrwdyco1_1280.jpg

Rosalyn's first gift was from her home planet and is one of her most prized possessions. These Mechanical wings have been through a lot with her but it was time for them to be given to someone else. Now that she had her anti gravity watch she didn't have any use for them. From her research she knew Tiberius didn't come from a technologically advance planet like she did so this would be a surprise for him. Also who wouldn't want to be able to fly? For the wings to work though they are powered by her crystalized blood.

crystal_study_2_day__51_by_angelganev-d934scg.jpg

Her second gift goes with her first. A small pouch consisting of drops of her crystallized blood each the size of a nickel. With this amount of crystalized blood the wings would be powered for a long long time. He better appreciate the fact that she was giving him something so valuable.

http://suchprettythings.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/01/sweets-for-your-sweets.html

Her last gift was also something from her home planet. Sweet crystal candy that never goes bad. Personally they weren't her favorite snack but they are extremely popular on her planet. (Sorry couldn't get the link to load right like the others)

Nu wrinkled her nostrils and slunk into the lounge. She didnt understand what this holiday was, in fact it bothered her to be celebrating something not in her native beliefs, but she wasnt about to leave Artemis without a gift. The Kryx was cash and possession poor, but she had done her best to give something she thought the cyborg might like. Looking at the other gifts, her heart fell a little at the sight of the fancily-wrapped gift for Tiberius, but she nestled her package next to the more plain two, making sure the tag was easily visible. She had written the name inside as best she could, but writing was a difficult skill to learn, and ill suited for her kind of hands.

gift_wrap-300x150.jpg

Inside the package, Nu had placed three small gifts.

il_570xN.371554841_rmhu.jpg

In the short time before the gift exchange, Nu had done her best to observe Artemis without being obvious about it. On one occasion, she noticed that Artemis had in her possession several gems like the one in her forehead. Nu couldn't quite figure out why she would keep other being head-gems, but they seemed important to her. Nu had taken one of the lengths of rope from her home planet, and deconstructed it and woven a pouch, finding a button in drawer in the galley and 'borrowing' some leather straps from a cargo crate, with enough little slots to hold the gems she already had plus a few extra if she found some.

She had also managed to get a hold of a rather good amount of a home-planet food. As far as she could tell, they were known outside of Via as "candied Fushu berries." They come from a specific kind of tree on one of the smaller planets, and are cooked on another in a special blend of juices and minerals from the rocks. The fresh berries have a taste similar to kiwi, but after cooking, they taste like a minty grape.

Lastly, Nu found a sharpening stone for Artemis's sword. It's not Kryx; it comes from a insect-like race that Nu spent time with right after her banishment. Nu isnt entirely sure how its made, because she was still struggling with the language when she was told, but it has something to do with their saliva. It works far better than anything a Kryx makes or any technology she has ever seen, sharpening any kind of steel to an extraordinary edge.

Making sure nobody was around, Larassa shuffled into the lounge area, her paws holding up a simple plate. On the plate was a blob of blue jello, which Larassa had actually had to research a bit since she'd never heard of it before. She wanted to find something she could laugh about, though, and figured that C-Virus sometimes acted a bit like jello with his wobbling. If anything, just watching his perplexed expression would be amusing enough.

Placing the plate of jello on a table near the tree and other presents, Larassa reached around into her knapsack and produced a golden bow, much like one would stick to the top of a wrapped present. Except Larassa slapped hers onto the top of the jello and chuckled when it began wobbling around as a result. This was going to be great.

While the others delivered their little White Uaccam presents to their designated partners, Artemis sat cross legged on her bed, fiddling with a strange, pink, shiny thing that she was so fascinated with but couldn't quite get it to stick to the present she had prepared for Nu. She could put more glue... but that would only make things messy... and she could press down on the little accessory... but she didn't want to risk damaging it. After many more failed attempts, she successfully put the final touch on her present, slipped in a tag with Nu's name on it and decided that she should try deliver it now.

The room Cael had designated for the presents was filled with a lot of White Uaccam decorations that Artemis was transfixed by for a while. The tree he had set up in the middle of the room was so lavishly decorated that the cyborg couldn't help circle it slowly for a few seconds, taking in the sparkly baubles and glittering tinsels, till she remembered what she was there to do. Underneath the White Uaccam tree sat some presents and the Gwathian carefully put the present down among the others, making sure not to upset the pink bow on top which she'd worked so hard on in getting it to stay put. As she straightened up, her eyes passed over the other gifts and couldn't help a light laugh from bubbling up at the sight of the plate of Jello.

After one more look around the room, Artemis left with a light grin on her face till she remembered that glue that sloppily covered most of her fingers...There was much cleaning up to do.

40f3236551090c2aaab463b201065b58.jpg

Fisheye-Lens.jpg

Though Artemis was never able to see the Master Thief in action, she'd examined Nu's equipment closely whenever the Kryx wasn't watching. The Cyborg had spied the specially designed goggled Nu always wore and noted that her equipment had thermal and night vision settings, so Art thought it would be nice to add to her tools. Inside the present in a separate little box was a small little contraption the size of a marble that looked like a lens of some sort. It was an accessory that could be connected to the goggles and worked as a sort of x-ray vision using inaudible and high pitched sound waves and frequencies to map out the general area around a creature while penetrating x-rays gave a rough vision of the nearby area through solid objects and constructions. Paired with the thermal and night vision, Nu could pretty much map out the entire area of a place easily. 

33462f9d036e8d4624ce51cf616fc269.jpg

The next was a little vial of reddish-pink gel with a little note with instructions on how to use the liquid. Due to Nu's line of work, Art figured that she would be using and relied her hands and feet often and therefore needed some protection or backup plan in sticky situations. The gel once applied made whatever Nu grabbed stick lightly to her fingers which helped her grip and climb on to smooth surfaces and also helped with pickpocketing or grabbing small things. The liquid also served as protection against intense heat so that Nu would not hurt or burn hands on a mission where the security safeguarding the object dealt with scalding electrical heat. 

small_belt_pouch_by_avanger-d5bila1.jpg

Finally, there was a drawstring pouch that could easily be attached to Nu's belt. The little bag contained a small amount of earth from Nu's home planet, Kryx 19 or Mors' Via. It was a ritual from her people that whenever someone left their home planet, Devini, to take a bit of the earth with them as a keepsake. From what she knew of Nu's species, they were fairly Patriotic much like the Gwathian's, and often only associated with their own people and were rarely seen anywhere else in the known galaxy except on their home planets. For Nu to be so far from home, it must've been lonely and the cyborg felt that she could at least give the Kryx a piece of her home to always carry with her wherever she went. 

Cael wandered into the lounge area of the ship, where the Holiday Tree had been set up. At the base, which had been empty up till now, had many presents beneath it now. The different wrappings, bows, and objects placed beneath seemed to boost the festive feeling one got by gazing upon the tree. Even Cael had to stop, lean against the counter before the tree and smile at the sight of the tree. It had been some time since he celebrated the holiday season, and even before then he had never seen a tree look so jubile. 

As he glanced over the packages, pausing to grin at the wobbly plate of blue gelatinous substance that reminded him of Glo'cer, he noticed a package towards the back of the tree wrapped in what appeared to be stained brown paper. Cael knelt down beside the tree and fished out the package, instantly cringing at the texture of the grimy paper covering. It was a mixture of oil and other fluids, and he instantly new that the package was from Glaak. He chuckled to himself and slowly pulled the paper of revealing a elongated box. Cael pulled open the box and couldn't help but chuckle to himself at the content. 

%E4%B8%BB%E5%9B%BE-13.jpg

Inside the box was a single bottle that had a bright blue substance in it. Cael knew the bottle all to well. A bottle of Alterian whiskey, Caels favorite drink. He lifted the bottle and a tag attached to a string fell from beneath it along what appeared to be a sharpened white tooth. Cael new the tooth all to well, and as he pulled both the tooth and tag off he set the bottle down and flipped the polished white tooth over in his hand while he read the note. 

135%20from%20photoshoot%20white%20background.jpg

"Found this under the floor paneling in the cockpit. Could have damaged the circuits beneath. Try not to loose any more.

P.S. Happy Holidays.

-Glaak"

Crumpling up the tag with a grin, Cael reached up and found the empty slot in his hat where the tooth had fallen out. He tossed the piece of paper as the tooth slid into place and grabbed his bottle. He twisted the top off and headed back for the cockpit, taking a big swig from the bottle as he walked back to his chair. 

AND WITH THAT.......

I say Happy Holidays to all my intergalactic scum bag and wish everyone a new year. Say goodbye to 2016, and hello to 2017 and a brand new chapter of Arcane Space. Posting will resume in full swing January 3rd, 2017!!

Tiberius didn’t sleep well that night, all in anticipation for the next day, the morning of which they’d spend opening the presents from their partners. At what he assumed was dawn, the vigilante could wait no longer and quietly left his quarters, greeted Cael who was heading for the cockpit drinking from some blue bottle and continued on to the lounge area. He acknowledged the mess of ripped packaging left by their captain and sat down beside the tree to look for his own box of goodies.

His present for Rosalyn was still unopened but right about next to it, he noticed a tag with his name sticking out from the bow of a rather big, beautifully wrapped box. Tiberius pulled it out from underneath the branches and snicked the fabric from the sides with his foreclaws to keep the bow with its natural decorations intact. He wasn’t as careful with the rest of the packaging though and simply ripped it open to get to the actual contents of the box.

Inside, he found three individually wrapped items. One was a plastic bag containing some pink crystallized sticks with wooden dowels sticking out of them. He took one out, carefully pulled the wrapping off as to not damage the little flowers keeping it closed and began observing it. It didn’t smell like anything and the non-fragile crystals it was made of reflected the light from the ceiling in many different shades on pink. After finally giving it a lick and realizing it was sweet, the stick went halfway into his mouth and he continued on to the next item.

Inside a small pouch, he found some of Rosalyn’s crystallized blood. Tiberius doubted that he’d ever use it the way she did but they were pretty enough to keep around as decorations. 

The third and last object or rather the pair of objects in the box really intrigued him. Whatever they were, they sure felt lighter in his hands than they looked, even though they were made from some folded up metal. He poked them all around, tried combining the two together, poked them all around again with one of the blood crystals but all his attempts of making them work were futile. As much as he hated being in need of assistance, now he truly was. Still, knowing how much Rosalyn valued her sleep, he decided to just wait for her to come down and explain the strange contraption to him.

@Ch3rryBlossom28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back