Story Chapter One

{This is the first chapter of a project I am working on, reviews and critiques are deeply appreciated :) }

Soft high pitch beeps cut into the peaceful quiet of the night, waking me from the half slumber I’d placed myself in. Slowly I peeled my eyes open as I did far too often at this hour.

I was met with a slow moving fan that blew a cool current of air down on our bodies, laying tangled in bed. Her head nestled against my shoulder with her brunette hair tickling my face, a slow snore coming from her soft pink lips. Her arms were wrapped around my body tight as if she feared I could slip from her at any moment, which was often true.

She always looked so pure, like an angel and as peaceful as a child when she slept. She will continue to do so till the morning if she was left unbothered, free to dream and to rest in peace.

I do not have such luxuries.

I deftly removed myself from bed, moving in a practiced silent snake like motion to leave my lover undisturbed. I opened the bottom drawer to my nightstand, where a small flip phone sat which was responsible for the beeps that awoke me. The phone read 1:30 am with an incoming call from a restricted number.

“Good morning,” I answered the phone.
“Thirty minutes.” and then he hung up, leaving me with all the instruction I need.

It was a simple routine, first taking care of simple hygiene which the Bossman takes very seriously. If your teeth aren’t shining and your body isn’t pristine and smelling of soap, you won’t get paid. So within thirty minutes I brushed my teeth, washed myself, swore silently from my razor biting into my flesh, leaving blood trickling down my hershey brown skin, and lastly put on the proper attire for the job.

While a private bathroom and a room tucked on the other side of the house stopped me from waking my lover’s ever so generous parents in the middle of the night; I wasn’t so lucky as I could never leave without her groaning.

“Again? Really...” she gave a half hearted complaint as I laced up my boots. I never have a good response for her, it’d only lead to a fight and considering I have only seven minutes before deadline, I don’t have time for a fight.

“You know I don’t like it,” she went on as she stretched in bed. That’s why I didn’t want to tell her the details of my contract work, but honesty is important right? I continued to ignore her as I set up my ear piece.
“My mom always ask for you in the morning you know? I-I never know what to tell her Roy….”
“Tell her I’m visiting my moms’.”
“At two o’clock at night?” For a second I was worried I was late, snapping to my watch which read a reassuring 1:56am.
“She’s sick, her withdrawals and all,” I mumbled lazily putting on my gloves.
“This is the third time this week Roy!” she began to plead with a combination of worry and irritation whispering off her lips, to which I shot her a cold look which ended her protest.
“You want your folks to keep their house? You want your pops’ working his ass off for the rest of his life?” my words were calm and even though she tried to voice some opinion my words held just enough bite to send her retreating into the sheets. She had nothing else to say after that,and as my watch struck 1:59 am I had nothing to say as well.

I planted a long kiss on her forehead, gently caressing her neck before brushing her hair back in place. I took a deep breath, taking in her scent which only for a moment urged me to lay back in bed. However, as my flip phone began to ring once again in my pocket all thoughts of that quickly disappeared.

She looked up at me with worried eye, catching me as they always did, a dark brown yet they shined with innocence. Not only that but she looked as if she wanted to cry, while it made my heart hurt just a bit, it was now 2 o’clock on the dot.

“Don’t call me, I love you,” was the only words I could leave her with, making silent steps out of our room. Not wanting to hear her say it back as I pushed her out of my mind.

That's a pretty good hook for a start I'd say. Just one thing to make it even better: if your story had a name yet, perhaps the thread name should reflect the title of the story rather than the chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back