• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Change behaviour of 'remove formatting' on paste.

Coward

A marshmallow.
Supporter
Following the loss of the draft system, it's become quite a bad idea to write your post straight into the message or comment box. All it takes is a momentary lapse and you'll lose it, either by site backup, or a connection problem, or due to the weird way the 'drafts' are now stored.

Problem is, the alternatives suck too. I can write somewhere else, then copy-paste it, but then I'm faced with a choice.

1. Remove formatting. This means you lose every piece of necessary formatting including basics like italics and often linebreaks, then have to put it back in manually

2. Don't remove formatting: Formatting from the other program will often be horribly screwy, with extra linebreaks, weird giant fonts or other problems. If you type inside an area with conserved formatting then you won't be able to format your new text.

The way this works is a real pain in the ass, it would be fantastic if it could be changed.

The best option would be to have draft functionality back, of course. But, if that's not possible, then it would be great to change the 'remove formatting' prompt to have it do what people actually want: leave basics like linebreaks, italics and bold intact, while removing the other stuff like font size and typeface.

Thanks for reading all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Following the loss of the draft system, it's become quite a bad idea to write your post straight into the message or comment box. All it takes is a momentary lapse and you'll lose it, either by site backup, or a connection problem, or due to the weird way the 'drafts' are now stored.

Problem is, the alternatives suck too. I can write somewhere else, then copy-paste it, but then I'm faced with a choice.

1. Remove formatting. This means you lose every piece of necessary formatting including basics like italics and often linebreaks, then have to put it back in manually

2. Don't remove formatting: Formatting from the other program will often be horribly screwy, with extra linebreaks, weird giant fonts or other problems. If you type inside an area with conserved formatting then you won't be able to format your new text.

The way this works is a real pain in the ass, it would be fantastic if it could be changed.

The best option would be to have draft functionality back, of course. But, if that's not possible, then it would be great to change the 'remove formatting' prompt to have it do what people actually want: leave basics like linebreaks, italics and bold intact, while removing the other stuff like font size and typeface.

I've noticed everything you are talking about and wish this could be fixed as well. I just don't get where all the extra formatting comes from. I can write a post all in the same font on word, copy it,and paste it into the textbox and everything is in different fonts. It makes no sense.

I have personally never had any of these issues but they all sound like really strong points.  It must be really frustrating.

As a temporary solution, for those who can use the manual HTML, switch into the coder and paste your work.  Switch back to the editor and double check that all or any paragraphs are properly spaced.  Again, I understand that this won't work for everyone, but it can be a temporary solution while the staff of RpNation find you a permanent one. 

For the time being, you could always select all, then manually set the Font and Size back to default.

For the time being, you could always select all, then manually set the Font and Size back to default.

Doing that does not fix the problems with each paragraph having different line spacing which, at least in my opinion, is the most annoying of the formatting problems. When you type in some other editor, the line spacing is all equal. Then when you paste it here, either the first or the last paragraph has extra spacing between each line. It is a problem that makes absolutely no sense. 

It's the best solution I can offer for the time being, as I said.

Alternatively there is reapplying basic formatting.

If Staff can implement what is being suggested, I'm sure we'll work on it, probably as part of the big code update. :) However, I'm not sure if that's something we can specify to that degree.

I would like to think part of these issues are on their minds and already going to be patched in upcoming updates. I brought something along these lines up a few weeks ago. The issue I am having is if I copy and paste, then decide to not remove formatting and make the mistake of trying to edit anything, the text garbles. Entire sentences relocate themselves in the body of text. Not a fun time. 

My immediate solution has been writing out my posts in word, without concerning myself with formatting until it is transferred into the site. I select the remove formatting.Then I go through inputting the formatting my post requires, while proof reading my work. It's not all shiny and awesome like it use to be but I use rp on IMVU so this is something I am sort of use to. I am sure they will work to correct these things as they are able. In the mean time, this way seems to be working for me. 

I agree and disagree. Sometimes I don't want a post to have these. So perhaps there could be two options: "Remove all formatting" and "Remove most formatting".

Also, I don't like when the option to remove formatting goes away when you type or delete anything. I have done this by accident and had to re-paste everything. It's not incredibly irritating, but it would be nice if the option to remove formatting could be implemented into the editor alongside the Bold, Italic, Underline, etc... buttons.

Also, I don't like when the option to remove formatting goes away when you type or delete anything. I have done this by accident and had to re-paste everything. It's not incredibly irritating, but it would be nice if the option to remove formatting could be implemented into the editor alongside the Bold, Italic, Underline, etc... buttons.

There is.  Next to the 'eye' icon/ spoiler icon is a Tx.  That will remove the formatting of any highlighted context within your post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back