• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Help Censor system?

Natural Flavour

Ah yes, pain
Heya!

I joined less than a month ago, and I read in the rules about obvious offensive words being censored, including just now in the updated rules. I've never seen any words being censored at all!

It doesn't bother me a lot, but it make me wonder if something's working incorrectly, or if RpNation doesn't censor words anymore?

We only censor the words that are universally offensive. So basically the worst of the worst words.

Most of the word we censor are slurs and other such rude remarks. Feel free to make a thread in your private workshop to test, as anything that changes to 'I'm Uncultured' is censored.
Just noticed this while looking for something else, and just wanted to ask, why?
If someone is using these terms against another user, then of course action should be taken upon that post, and likely that person, that's why there's a report feature.
But say you are in your own roleplay, and you have a character or npc that is literally a racist or some other person that might use such words, take note this is in a hypothetical rp with mature themes, doesn't this literally prevent players from acting out these characters? Why block creative freedom?

Just noticed this while looking for something else, and just wanted to ask, why?
If someone is using these terms against another user, then of course action should be taken upon that post, and likely that person, that's why there's a report feature.
But say you are in your own roleplay, and you have a character or npc that is literally a racist or some other person that might use such words, take note this is in a hypothetical rp with mature themes, doesn't this literally prevent players from acting out these characters? Why block creative freedom?
We flat out don't allow it to prevent any problems. Again, these words are simply too offensive, even by offensive standards. Any rp that is exploring mature themes should be able to express their mature themes without these words. While there certainly is a report feature, not enough users make use of it, and lifting the filter would lead to toxicity increasing at an exponential rate. Lifting the filter in only the roleplay sections would just bring the toxicity to the roleplay sections.

We flat out don't allow it to prevent any problems. Again, these words are simply too offensive, even by offensive standards. Any rp that is exploring mature themes should be able to express their mature themes without these words. While there certainly is a report feature, not enough users make use of it, and lifting the filter would lead to toxicity increasing at an exponential rate. Lifting the filter in only the roleplay sections would just bring the toxicity to the roleplay sections.
It's not about expressing a mature theme, it's about expressing a character, trying to be real about it. I can't imagine everyone rushing to the roleplay forums spouting these words just for the point of it, there's plenty of other words they can use that aren't banned, but I never see it. You guys are in charge so I respect your choice to uphold the block, but I would say it's an out of touch opinion considering the platform.

It's not about expressing a mature theme, it's about expressing a character, trying to be real about it. I can't imagine everyone rushing to the roleplay forums spouting these words just for the point of it, there's plenty of other words they can use that aren't banned, but I never see it. You guys are in charge so I respect your choice to uphold the block, but I would say it's an out of touch opinion considering the platform.
Unfortunately people would do so. It's not so much the many but rather the few. If there is a few people who want to, they can flood the forum with toxicity, sure it might only be a few people doing it, it impacts the whole server. One good example would be the recent changes made to the Status Box and Profile Posts. A lot of negative things (most that didn't use any curse words) and the status box got a bad reputation, even if only a small portion of the community was doing said negative things.

Part of the reason why you don't see much of the non banned words is that we often get reports about Negative Environment and Harassment about those. Most cases it is fine, but there have been a few that are so clearly offensive that we need to remove it.

We’ve been censoring the same words for a decade now. Just a note.

The rules haven’t changed nor have we added new words to the censor. All we did was condense the rules into one easy to read doc and update the words a bit so it was easier to understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back