Tech Can someone tell me what's wrong and how I fix my Google Chrome? I have to use IE. Ugh!

Melix

Lord Legendary
Before everyone goes, "Oh my god, you're stupid, it's net neutrality day," I just want to let you know that not only am I aware, my Chrome hasn't worked in a week. It's not that.

So here's what happens: I click Chrome, it loads briefly (sometimes), I can search for one thing or open one page and I can't open a new tab. I can't click on anything from there. Then it dies. Sometimes it won't let me search. It just dies. And it says "Whoa! Google Chrome has crashed!"

I already reinstalled Chrome, losing all my bookmarks in the process. (There isn't any way for me to get them back, is there?) It still won't work.

The only inkling I have is that it could be because I recently downloaded Google Earth. Could that do it...? The crashes started happening the next day.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

If you can access the settings menu before it crashes you should be able to check a few things in there. You can disable your extensions to ensure they aren't causing the issue. You'd have to go through turning each one on again to determine if a particular one is causing the issue. If that doesn't help, you might also want to check your search settings to make sure you don't have something odd in there. You can change it using the drop down box. Using the manage button will allow you to delete, add, or change existing selections.

I can't say what is actually happening for sure without seeing it in action, but I will ask if you have run a scan for viruses and malware? Spybot, Malware Bytes, and AVG Free are my preferred tools, but if you have something else feel free to check it.

Last, if none of these help check out the Google Help Page with the message you received for other possible solutions.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/142063?hl=en

Hello, Melix! So, I happened to read my dad your situation and he thinks you may have a virus. Are there any suspicious sites that you visited or did you download anything the same day? He recommends doing a virus scan. If you don't have one, try searching your computer for Windows Defender and doing a full scan, so that you can check everything. I also suggest defragmenting your disk. For now, you could use Firefox or Safari as a substitute browser until you can get it working again {{since we all know IE is very slow and such}}.

And, as another suggestion, see if you can try to clear your cookies. They should have been wiped when you reinstalled the browser, but it's always better to make sure. As for getting your bookmarks back, if you signed into Google when you opened Chrome, it automatically saves the bookmarks. Once you sign in again, it should bring them back up.

If Windows Defender does say that you have a virus, go to
this website {{I guarantee that it is safe as my father used it and I have used it}} if you want to remove the virus yourself or use Microsoft Security Essentials from Microsoft to have it remove the virus. I hope this helps you!

I do not have a virus according to AVG's full computer scan, HOWEVER, I did download Google Earth that same day. Could that have done it? I will try defragmenting my disk. No, I didn't visit any suspicious websites. Huh. I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back