calander

STHajikaHaurchi

ok noter point less boring thred by me.  this time my question is: is there a clander in print for the game. or is there some one out there that hase one. .. how many month in the year naem of months ect.  any one help me with that?

Both links worked for me.

Anyway, I'm trying to find something in the books about Calibration. The impression I got from one of the Dragon-Blooded related books was that Calibration was sort of like Christmas, or something, only five days long. Anyone confirm/deny and/or call me a crazy idiot?

You're a crazy idiot.

Everyone knows that the 16th of Ascending Fire is Christmas. Duh.

-S

Calibration is more like Haloween i got.  It is a crazy ass time of bad bad juju happening.  The only party part of it I remember was God's in Yushan taking humans into YuShan, and if you are a dumb human you could get trapped as a god's bitch.

Otherwise I got the impression that it was a time when bad happened if you weren't careful.  Sorceress used to have a huge party because Calibration was the one time of the year you could summmon a Third circle demon.

psychoph said:
Calibration is more like Haloween i got.
Yup. Ghosts have a lot easier time affecting Creation, in the form of discounts to their Charms, making it a time of increased hauntings.

-S

Stillborn said:
psychoph said:
Calibration is more like Haloween i got.
Yup. Ghosts have a lot easier time affecting Creation, in the form of discounts to their Charms, making it a time of increased hauntings.

-S
Hmm sounds liek a good time to attack a town or city if i were a Deathlord.

I never actually read whatever book has the information on exaclty what happened at Thorns, if you know what book it is I can look that up since I am at home.

Speaking of calendar...

What seasons are connected to what? It is fairly obvious, that fire should be summer and air should be winter, but that doesn't really fit with anything. I mean summer and winter right next to each other. What about spring and fall? The calendar doesn't seem to follow any logic, or did I miss something?

I have made an alternate calendar in my campaign, but am not entirely satisfied with it. Here the seasons go: Earth, Wood, Fire, Water, Air, Calibration. Fire is summer, Air is winter, Wood is spring and Water is fall. Earth is a kind of waiting month with weather that differs from the region to region - in most of the south it is more like an extra summer or rainy season, for example.

Nice calendar, by the way :)

I've always seen Water as the winter months, due to the sidebar in the corebook that states that the height of summer is Resplendent Fire and the coldest month is Ascending Water, or something like that (havn't got my book on me at the moment).

I agree though that the months of Earth as being a natural season for the elemental direction of the area, a time of order and stability, as it were.

~FC.

There's no neat way to reconcile the seasons of Creation with our real world ones. I've thought about this quite a bit, and come to the conclusion that they shouldn't be reconciled, because they are wholly unrelated.

We experience four seasons on Earth, due to the fact that we're on a rotating sphere, tilted off-center, travelling on an oval-shaped path around the sun.

Creation experiences five seasons, due to one of each of the five elements becoming predominant in a set order, determined and regulated by the spirit courts.

They really have nothing whatsoever to do with one another, and Creation doesn't really have summers, winters, etc. Any referrence to these made by the writers is typical WW laziness and inconsistency.

Rather than try to fit the five seasons into some artificial hot-to-cold-to-hot-again cycle, take a look at the properties of each element, and how they would affect the weather.

-S

I would agree with Still

I do this.

Fire - Hotter months

Air - Cold season, wind season with tornados and such more common

Water - Rainy season, floods common in areas.

Earth - Rejuvination season, earthquakes being more common

Wood - Growing months when things grow really well

IF it were me I probably would have setup the months and elements liek this water->wood->earth->air->fire.  Following the idea of harvesting with water being the rainy season going into the growth season with hearvst time during earth then cold hitting at air and then fire coming around with calibration between air and fire.  Ok so I woudl have taken the current calendar and flipped earth and wood.

A point that I haven't seen addressed here, or anywhere else, is how the phases of the moon are arranged within each lunar month.

After thinking about possibilities for a while, I have come to having the night of the 14th of each month be the full moon, and the night of the 28th of each month be the new moon. Other possible schemes are of course acceptable, but I find that having the new moon corospond with the new month the most important factor. (It also has the benifit of Calibration's moonless 5 days being surrounded by the moon at its nadir.)

Fruan said:
A point that I haven't seen addressed here, or anywhere else, is how the phases of the moon are arranged within each lunar month.
I also thought about this the other day and decided that I had to come up with the lunar cycle at some point, mainly for descriptive purposes.

Fruan said:
After thinking about possibilities for a while, I have come to having the night of the 14th of each month be the full moon, and the night of the 28th of each month be the new moon. Other possible schemes are of course acceptable, but I find that having the new moon corospond with the new month the most important factor. (It also has the benifit of Calibration's moonless 5 days being surrounded by the moon at its nadir.)
I think i'll just borrow this idea, cheers Fraun   :D

Marvelous,

~FC.

Fruan said:
A point that I haven't seen addressed here' date=' or anywhere else, is how the phases of the moon are arranged within each lunar month.[/quote']
I also thought about this the other day and decided that I had to come up with the lunar cycle at some point, mainly for descriptive purposes.
I ended up having to think about this when one of my players finally learnt Summon Demon of the Second Circle.

"So, when can I summon a demon?"

"muuuuhh. I don't know. The new moon, whenever the hell that is".

I suppose playing a Lunas game would have made the omission a little more stark - Unless, of course, I've managed to miss the bit of E:tL which lays out what happens when in the month. God knows the Limit break section is poorly layed out enough for this to be possible.

Fruan said:
I beleive the Lunars book did cover this, though it might be buried somewhere obscure.

IIRC, the Full Moon is a 3 day period mid-month. You can infer the rest from there.

-S

Stillborn said:
I beleive the Lunars book did cover this, though it might be buried somewhere obscure.

IIRC, the Full Moon is a 3 day period mid-month. You can infer the rest from there.

-S
Ah, good. I remembered the 3 day period bit, but I'm glad my placement lines up with what is in print.

Have you concidered expanding your calendar to contain phases of the moon, mentioned holidays, etc?

No, but anyone who'd like to do so is free to use mine as a base.

-S

Hmm I think I can work on that as I have time.  It sounds like a really good idea to me.  I will see what I can do as i get bored today at work.

ok found this in the exalted main book pg 49

The Empress disappeared in Realm Year 763.

It is now RY 768.

The Realm keeps time with a lunar calendar.

The moon passes through its phases every 28 days.

Three months pass during each of the five seasons:

Air, Water, Earth, Wood, Fire. Each of the three

months represents a phase of the season; the first

month is the Ascending phase, the second Resplendent,

the third Descending. Referring to the 11th

month of the year as Ã’while the Wood is Resplendent

Ó marks a person as a peasant, while ÒResplendent

WoodÓ sounds more like a denizen of the Imperial

City. Ascending Water is usually the coldest month

of the year, after which temperatures rise until they

peak during Descending Fire, then resume their

downward trend.

Yet, the year is not precisely 15 months long. At

the end of Descending Fire is a moonless five-day

period known as Calibration. Calibration is an unlucky

time. Brutal tragedy befalls the Realm regularly,

but the worst misfortunes squeeze themselves into

those five extra days at the end of the year, that Ã’inbetween

Ó time when the rules that govern the rest of

the year no longer apply. The Calibration hosts more

military defeats, political assassinations, peasant rebellions

and no-confidence votes in the Deliberative

than any other time of the year. For peasants, the

Calibration is a time of crazed brawls, insomnia,

stubbed toes, indigestion and bad apples. Strains of

the Hundred Gods Heresy believe that the Calibration

is the time that all spirits may freely walk the

Realm. Skeptical city-dwellers, who believe the Calibration

is a time for debauched revelry rather than ill

omens, change the subject when theyÕre reminded

that the Empress disappeared during a Calibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back