• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Cajun Haven

yistae

Ruler of friendly sharks
What if there was a place that wasn't supposed to exist? Where the lines between right and wrong were just as blurred as reality and fantasy? Where said lines might not have existed at all? A place where the weary, the convicted, the abused came for refuge? A place where magic came as easily as breathing, where the not as human walked freely? What if a place like this existed?

Deep down in the Louisiana bayou there's a Victorian manor, old and worn and untouched by humans for centuries. Well, regular humans. The manor is said to be a demon's now, and his business is in trade. The currency and goods? Favours, information, and wishes. Only those in desperate need of something --escape, health, shelter-- can walk the manor's grounds, and only those few that he finds interesting will the demon converse with. Not all are human, beings of the supernatural and beyond coming as well, but all that do come must have a goal or need, and seek shelter in the Cajun haven.

The sun was just starting to make it's climb into the sky, but between giant old trees of the swamp and morning mist, the light barely touched the old manor. Humans in nearby towns gossiped, the young children and teenagers claiming the place was haunted while adults thought it was simply too dangerous. All around the beast of a house was a crooked iron fence, gnarled and rusted with age and at least 10 feet tall. Unclimbable without a ladder of some kind. The yard leading up to the house was just as bad, tall grasses growing to waist or even chest height that rustled every now and again if you watched closely, though no animals could be seen. There was an overall sense of being watched that sent shivers down most people's spines, causing them to leave and forget the crumbling ruins of a much older time.

Reality is such a strange thing though, considering that what those humans saw was not there. True, the fence was old and rusted more than it wasn't, but it stood straight with the main gate almost 15 feet tall. Small, finger size symbols were carved into the posts, those being responsible for the illusions most humans saw. The yard was neatly maintained, with a gravel path leading up to the main building. A smaller building stood outback, old slave quarters converted into storage and a workshop. Both buildings were in amazing condition, able to be appreciated by only a few.

The owner of the manor knew this, and surveyed the grounds from his room. Azeel, a demon banished from Hell, made sure that his house was always in order. Well, as much order as he could get with the other residents. Looking put the window one last time, he vanished, reappearing one floor down. The main building was four stories tall, with no basement and the top floor charmed to where only Azeel or his strange cat could get up there. It wasn't the strongest charm, Azeel mused to himself as he walked around, but it would take effort to break it and there wasn't much up there that he was worried about others finding. Currently though, he couldn't find any of the "customers", and that made him pause, scowling to no one as if that would help him find them. He was not going to search the whole manor just to satisfy his curiosity, so he did the next best thing. "Chesha," he called, not raising his voice that much. The strange thing would hear him well enough.

On the third floor of the manor, in room that was rarely entered, there was a window seat, framed in dark wood and furnished with a scarlet cushion. A few pillows and a soft blanket had been brought up by the occupant, cuddled up against the morning chill as she gazed out. The view opened to the back of the manor, providing a long look at the bayou. It was the highest point any but the master could reach, so thats where she sat, forehead resting lightly on the cool glass. Catalina didnt know if Azeel knew she had reurned last night, having spent a few days of leisure away from the manor, but assumed he did. The banished demon seemed to know everything that happened. The shapeshifter let her silver eyes drift shut for a long moment, contemplating a form change to something that would soak up the sun's emerging rays and a short nap.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Yeeeees...?" A voice rang quietly in the room. The Cheshire Cat appeared piece by piece as her body became visible; starting from her head and finishing at the tip of her tail. She floated through the air like mist, twirling and spinning gracefully. "How can I be of assistance, Master?" She asked as she floated in front of him. She sat down and it looked as if she was sitting on something that just wasn't there.

Azeel watched as Chesha appeared, rather amused with her strange antics as always. Who couldn't be? After all his years and all the things he saw, the Cheshire Cat was almost the most interesting creature Azeel had ever seen. He smiled at the cat, petting her as she sat on air. "Would you mind seeing how Miss Catalina is? I'm curious as to how her little vacation went," he explained, scratching Chesha behind her ears for a few seconds before he patted her head and continued his walk. "I'll be in the kitchen if you need me, because I need coffee," he said, glancing back over his shoulder to grin at the purple and pink cat. "A dish of cream will be set out if you wish to join me." With that, Azeel vanished, reappearing in the kitchen and flipping on the coffee pot. The kitchen was the most modern room of the house, every appliance state of the art with an island for sitting in the large space. It was in startling contrast with the rest of the manor. Yes, electricity and modern plumbing went to the entire house, and there were a few tools in the workshop were electric, but the decor was old fashion, not bright and shiny like the kitchen. Finally the coffee was done and Azeel got himself a mug, keeping it black and settling down at the island to enjoy his attempt at breakfast.

"Yes, Master," she purred before vanishing through the floor, going down a level. "Catalina...?" her voice rang. Chesha pranced through the air and then rolled over through the air as she approached the young woman. "Azeel wishes to know how your little vacation went, and I am most eager to know as quickly as possible. There is a dish a cream waiting for me in the kitchen." Her voice came out smooth and silky, but mischievous as always as if she always had a trick waiting to spring. "Wherever did you go on your little trip?" she asked as she floated to a stop and curled her tail around her paws as she sat still in the air.

@yistae @Flutterby

Catalina slowly opened her eyes and looked at the crazy feline. She sighed softly. “It was fine." She murmured tiredly, leaning away from the window. “I went to check on my mother. In Russia." She said softly, glancing away for a brief moment. “Does Azeel mind if I come to breakfast as well? I had to.. return in a hurry and didnt get a chance to eat anything." She chose her words carefully, skirting around the details of the situation. A yawn left her, and she wrinkled her nose. She was more tired than she realized.

Chesha disappeared from her place and then reappeared in front of Catalina's face. Her round eyes met the girl's. "Yes child, choose your words carefully, but know this. I know everything Azeel knows," she says as she tilts her head to the side. Her tail flicks back and forth in slight irritation of the girl. The Cheshire Cat then disappears, only to reappear by the door. "I'm sure Azeel would enjoy the company," Chesha says in a sweet tone before vanishing. Chesha walks through the wall and lands on the island in the kitchen. "Catalina says she went to Russia to check on her mother and it was fine." She sat on the counter top, her tail swishing happily. Her ears swiveled around as she listened to the house and those in it. "May I have my treat now, Master?" She asked in excitement.

Catalina bit her lip as she stood and left the room. If it were up to her, the master of the house wouldnt know the details either. She knew that he would ask, and she wouldnt be able to lie to him. Her bare feet barely made a sound as she padded through the house to the kitchen. Azeel was sitting at the island with a cup of coffee. As she walked by, she let a hand brush across his shoulder blades, reflecting that the action was a little risky but not really caring. “Morning, master," She greeted, sarcasm dripping from the word 'master.' She tossed a teasing grin over her shoulder as she opened the fridge, taking out a carton of eggs and some vegetables. Moving to the stove, she dropped the teasing charade. “Did you need something other than company?" She inguired seriously as she cracked a few eggs into a bowl and wisked them deftly.

Azeel looks up from his coffee at Chesha floating through the air, landing on the island. Nodding, Azeel waved his hand. The fridge and a cabinet opened, and with a small twitch of his fingers a shallow bowl came from the cabinet and landed smoothly in front of the cat while a small glass bottle of cream floated over to Azeel's hand. As soon as his fingers touched it, it stopped it's weightlessness and both the fridge and cabinet closed, though a little louder than intended. Azeel glared at both like they had offended him somehow, then poured some of the cream into the dish. His attention returned to his coffee and he sipped it, ignoring the brush to his shoulders and wondering why Catalina insisted on being so... So weird acting. "I was just curious as to how your trip went," he said evenly, glancing over as the shapeshifter began making her breakfast.

Chesha's tail flicked and twitched in irritation once again. She felt that only she was allowed to call Azeel 'Master.' It was her job to protect him and serve him while others were merely those who asked for his help. She sent her a quick glare before turning back to the bowl. Her eyes lite up and she crouched down to devour the fuffy cream. Her tail swished in delight.

Falmet stepped into the kitchen, the fur of his chest, muzzle, and most of his arms were coated in blood, looking like it had been wiped off as best as it could be. He held his arms close to his chest, careful not to touch anything.

"Sir, I have brought venison for dinner tonight, might you know where the butcher's paper has disappeared to? It seems someone has moved it from its usual spot near the back door." His voice was low, growled, but gentle, giving him a sound akin to a summer thunderstorm.

His tongue flicked out between his teeth, licking his muzzle when he felt some blood start to drip, catching it before it had a chance to do so. His tail swished against the back of his legs, feeling a bit odd in the house with his size, a good two feet taller than Azeel and most of the tenants in the massive house, he had to duck slightly when going through some doorways.

Spotting Chesha and Catalina he gave them a wolffish grin and waved hello. He rather enjoyed Chesha's presence, she being just as playful as he even if her playfulness was in a more feline manner. She was fun and pretty nice.

He liked Catalina too but he didn't know her that well yet and was just trying to get used to her presence, wondering what he would come to like about the shapeshifter. He knew he really liked her cooking, it was amazing. He could smell the eggs she was cooking and his tail started wagging furiously, unable to help himself with the scent of food.

He ran his tongue over his arm and hand, trying to lap up as much of the blood as he could, knowing Azeel would probably give him a scornful look if he got it anywhere since it was so hard to clean up off certain surfaces. He needed to get back outside and use the garden hose to clean off once he got the butcher's paper to wrap up the deer meat.

Catalina set a pan on a burner and began chopping peppers, spinach, and half a tomato finely as it warmed. She made sure to keep her back to Azeel as she answered, knowing her expression would give away more than she wanted it to. “It was alright." She answered brightly. “Took a day to enjoy Moscow, its lovely this time of year." She poured her eggs into the pan, letting them cook for a moment before adding the vegtables to her omelet. As Falmet entered, she went to the fridge and got out some cheese, adding it to the top of the vegetables. Seeing his reaction to the eggs, she smiled. “Ill make you something after you get cleaned up." She promised, glancing up at him momentarily before she folded her omelet neatly.

Chesha smirked. She loved moving things out of place. She loved tricks, teasing, and confusing anyone and everyone, with the exception of her Master. Chesha finished her little treat and sat up. She licked her lips getting the rest of the cream off her face. She just closed her eyes and let out a loud purr of happiness. She walked forward and rubbed her head against Azeel's arm in gratitude.

Azeel doubted that that was all Catalina did, but decided not to push it. He looked up from his coffee when someone entered the kitchen, and instantly scowled in disgust. It wasn't that blood was gross to him, just that it was in his house. That wasn't ok with him. "I don't care what you do, just do it outside until you're clean," he said sharply, then glared down at Chesha. He knew the cat was behind the misplaced paper, and he sighed, pulling his arm away. "Chesha, give the paper to Falmet before he bloodies up the floors. I'm going to drink my coffee I my room, and if there's any blood on the floor when I come back I will personally skin you both," he threatened, standing up from his stool with coffee in hand before retreating from the kitchen, mumbling curses in French. It wasn't completely an empty threat, but that was mainly because his coffee was still in his cup and not in him.

(I'll be gone for a few hours. Talking to a recruiter)

Chesha pouted. "It's on the third self in that cabinet," she said as

she pointed to a cabinet with her tail. She floated upwards into the air and spun around a bit as she watched Falmet.

Isha wandered the corridor on the third floor, leaving a trail of water behind her. She had been in the North Sea again, on the beach in Scarborough. She turned the cowry shells in her hand over and over, running her fingers down the grooves of the shell. She found her room, and opened the door. Her room was in darkness, like it always was. She closed the door and locked it, placing the handful of shells on her dressing table, joining the hundreds of others littering it. She lay down on the bed, the sheets always wet, although she didn't feel it. Her breath showed in the freezing Arctic Air that inhabited it, the trunk full of various things from her past life at the foot of her poster bed. After a while, she got up and teleported over to the piano in the reception, and began to play When are you coming to Scarborough Fair, the last tune she ever heard. She sang along quietly, remembering her honeymoon before stopping, crying silently.

Falmet went over to the cabinet and reached up, about to open it when he remember, oh yeah bloody hands...

He whined softly for a moment until he managed to get it open with his elbows, though it was slightly painful and more than a bit annoying. Chesha was a bit of an asshole despite being fun. He didn't like searching for things he needed, even if it would benefit her as well since it was fresh meat.

He grabbed the roll of butcher's paper and returned outside after shutting the cabinet with his back. He managed not to get any blood on anything surprisingly.

( @Arabella Rosewood @yistae )

Isha then got up from the chair and teleported into the kitchen, wanting to cook dinner for herself. Contrary to popular belief, ghosts can interact with the real world as well as eat. She saw Falmet standing there and waited patiently. "Hello..."

Catalina watched Falmet out of the corner of her eye, ready to help if he really needed it. When he managed to get what he needed, she focused on her cooking. She easily flipped the omelet, letting it cook on the other side for a few minutes before pulling out a plate. Sliding the omelet onto it, she sprinkled it with salt and a little pepper, then created a neat stack of used dishes to wash after she finished eating. The shapeshifter slipped onto a seat at the island, a fork in hand and a satsified smile on her lips.

It was a good hour before Falmet returned inside, cleaned up but his fur a bit damp and spiked up from shaking the water out. In his arms were several bundles of meat wrapped securely in butcher's paper. He went to the fridge and opened it somehow with his foot from the bottom and arranged the meat in the designated drawer, putting the newer meat near the bottom and bringing the older to the top so it would be used before it went bad, and even if it did go rancid he'd still eat it, being the wild animal he was, it was food and nothing should be wasted.

He darted back outside after shutting the fridge and grabbed up a bundle wrapped in leather. He carried it up to his room and put it with the other bundles and opened it, laying the cleaned bones out to dry, marking them with a washable silver marker so he knew they were still drying and not to get them mixed up with the others.

He stood up and stretched his legs out before exiting his room, shutting the door and trotted downstairs to the kitchen where he sat down on the floor beside Catalina's seat, resting his massive head on her lap.

At that point, Joan came into the room. Unsurprisingly, she seemed to be suffering from an injury of some kind, as evidenced by a large rip in her pants, under which was a bloody gash. It was very obvious that this was from something large, implying a demon, and the young woman certainly wouldn't deny this. And she would claim to have won, and she may have, but it was shocking that she made it out of so many deadly encounters with her life. Joan was clearly a very fortunate soul. Or perhaps she was simply a particularly tough human. In the midst of so many supernatural beings, it wouldn't be good not to be.

Normally, the admittedly rather butch girl would have hit on Catalina, even with Falmet there. Conversely, she rather despised the big wolf man, but not for any particular reason, and so she generally just avoided him. Anyway, today she was in no mood to flirt (but then, that ghost girl was particularly beautiful. Maybe she'd stop by her room later). She looked more pissed than normal, so many of the tenants gave her a wide berth; when Joan was pissy, she was even more unlikeable.

So, anyway, given her injury, she had to limp (that was the only real sign of pain in her body language) to the fridge. She grabbed two bottles of water, then removed her footwear and rolled up her pant leg. Grumbling something under her breath, she put that foot on the counter and poured water over her gash, just to clean the blood off; it was a deep cut, so she would have to pour some peroxide and alcohol over it when she got to the bathroom, then wrap it up with some gauss. Joan would have gone to the bathroom to do this, but the kitchen was closer to the front door than any bathroom she was aware of, so she came here. A pool of water mixed with blood ended up on the floor after she had emptied the water, but the injury was too dire (in her opinion) to take the time to clean up a mess.

So, the punky woman limped out of the kitchen and into the nearest bathroom, which she locked herself in. Joan Rivers made not a peep from the sting of the alcohol and the peroxide (though her face was certainly comforting), and after soaking the cut she wrapped it up and used tape to keep the fabric in place. And so when that was done, she decided to head to her room (or, well, limp there), and on the way she hoped no one would stop her. She didn't want to deal with people right now.

Chesha grew bored. She slowly turned invisible starting from the tip of her tail and finishing at the tip of her nose. She flew in the air, unseen, as she made her way to the front porch. She reappeared as she trotted along the front porch. She sat down at the edge of the wood planks in a patch of sunlight. She sat tall and let her tail wrap around her paws. She looked out at the lawn and then beyond the gate. She rolled onto her side. "I'm bored and need something entertaining to do.... Ugh, I hate being bored." Her tail twitched as she laid in the sun. She enjoyed the warm sunlight on her pelt as she decided just to last down... for now....

Falmet didn't really understand this Joan person but he liked her all the same. He liked everyone actually, unless given a reason not to. Even if the person absolutely hated his guts and/or was in a bad mood he felt the need to try and cheer them up, help them in any way he could. Maybe it was his urge to be praised due to his canine genes intermixed with the lupine. Or it could just be because he liked making people happy.

He didn't really get a chance to attempt at cheering Joan up or at helping her so he opted on just cleaning up the bloody water mess she'd left so she wouldn't have to do it later, grabbing a few towels from the back that he used to clean up his own mess earlier. It cleaned up fairly well though it was still a bit damp so he used a few paper towels to dry it the rest of the way, taking the towel to the laundry room and put it in the washing machine.

He heard Joan's door shut and he got an idea.

He dashed up to his room and got to work on his little project immediately.

~~~~~

About twenty minutes later he finished his little present for her and placed a special thing in the middle for her. He wrapped it in a piece of silk.

He padded down the hall to Joan's shut door, careful not to make a sound, kneeling down and slid the present under her door and padded back down to the kitchen where he resumed sitting beside Catalina like the massive puppy he was, human mind mostly blocked a long time ago and locked in wolf, or something close to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back