Burakkurozu

The term for number 8 is God-Modding... which is the same as Meta-gaming, I think. I'm not actually sure what Meta-gaming is.

I thought it was a different term, always saw god modding like invincible and dodging everything and such

That is just being a terrible writer and having an OP character. God-Modding is controlling the actions of other characters without their writer's consent, aka "shoots bullets at you and you die" without first telling the writer that you plan to do that (and getting their OK for it, obviously).

Metagaming is using outside knowledge, something you know and your character doesn't and using it to your advantage.

E.G. Tom has a secret weakness, which is fire and a secret strength, which is air.

Jeb has no idea of this weakness, and is an airbased mage. Although he can only only cast low-tier fire spells, he does not use his "ultimate attacks", yet does use those. Even though he should, by all means, be using those, which he does not. Probably a bad example, but I typed this up in a minute.

tomio said:
Metagaming is using outside knowledge, something you know and your character doesn't and using it to your advantage.
E.G. Tom has a secret weakness, which is fire and a secret strength, which is air.

Jeb has no idea of this weakness, and is an airbased mage. Although he can only only cast low-tier fire spells, he does not use his "ultimate attacks", yet does use those. Even though he should, by all means, be using those, which he does not. Probably a bad example, but I typed this up in a minute.
Ah yes, that's what it is. I've been taught before, but I guess I forgot.

Best example of Metagaming

Me and Tomio are rping together I tell her, it would suck if your character hit mine with a fireball, it's one of his biggest weaknessess

She now knows this, but her character does not.

Her metagaming would be her character now automatically knowing it

Would it be OK to have a character with riot armor? Or would that be too OP? I really just want riot armor because it looks badass. :P

Oh, it may be different in other countries. Like whenever there is a riot going on, the police come out with the armor and the shields and the tear gas. That armor.

Sorry about my inactivity. I'll go ahead and post ASAP ^^ 
Hey, I'm well aware it's my fault for not being active and all, but I was wondering if someone could get me up to speed in the shortest way possible? Even though I could read through two or three pages easily, I don't really have the attention span to go through nine. Again, I apologize ^^;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back