Breach of Contract

Dereis

Hit Me!
How do you typically execute a "catastrophic botch," as per the eclipse contract breakage.  Immediately?  Or when they least expect?  The book, I believe, implies that the botch will come at the worst possible time.  How have you run it in your game? Any examples?

"Can I take your wrap m'lady?" Sin asked the lovely woman who had waltzed into the room as if she owned it.  He oozed charm, and laid his hands on the inside of wrist to feel the strong pulse beneath.

The lady paused, smiled, and was puzzled by the odd sensation that grew in his chest.  While he had been expecting to share an intimate evening with the lovely creature, he had not thought it would be at the end of the blade.  Nor that the blade would protrude from his chest quite so far...

"He has laid hands upon my person, V'Neef.  I need his liver filetted and laid upon a plate."  She smiled into Sin's face as he fell forward. The sound of heavy boots pounding from all sides crashed into his ears as the roar of his own pulse rose, as did the stain of blood spreading across the parquet floor.

Too late, he recognized the royal seal upon her jewelry, and in this kingdom, touching a member of the royal family was slow, painful death...

Effect: Sin makes a catastrophic Social roll to impress the lady of the hour.

Depends on the circumstance, but I typically make the botches ironic, almost like a fatal chastisement. And if there are more than one (Normally, that is), I like to make them compound.

Jim "Star-Stealer", a cutthroat that Most Excellent Ivory Seal, our eclipse, has cut a deal with, has taken it into his dim-witted head to break his oath.

I normally let oathbreakers know that they are doing it even if unintentional; they just have an inkling of impending doom before they do it.

Nonetheless, he takes out his trusty Mr. Cutty, a chiaruscuran glass knife, and attempts to attack Ivory Seal.

(Seal has essence three)

-He falls on his knife

-He botches his resistance roll against infection

-He expires, slowly, agonisingly, from the gash

This is unimaginative and simple, but it illustrates how viscious the curses are. As mentioned in the "Creative botching" thread, or whatever it was called, botches can be humourous sometimes. But never with the eclipse anima. You accidentally kill your spouse. Your attempt to pick the lock causes such a ruckus that you are arrested immediately. Your attempts to attune to that fresh, swanky new daiklaive lead to an essence feedback cascade, killing you from multiple small puncture wounds over the course of a few hours.

the way I think a ST should do it is "If I was the unconquered sun, when would I cause the botch.

you can also ask the Player for some input if the one who created the oath is a PC as it should follow his "style"

e..g bloody and brutal, or elegant and refined.

or "make them a broken hunted, and wretched creature.... or just kill them"

the way I think a ST should do it is "If I was the unconquered sun' date=' when would I cause the botch.[/quote']
You mean they should ask, "WWtUSD?"

Maybe we need to make up some bracelets ;)

-S

Stillborn said:
the way I think a ST should do it is "If I was the unconquered sun' date=' when would I cause the botch.[/quote']
You mean they should ask, "WWtUSD?"

Maybe we need to make up some bracelets ;)
Lets hope then we don't need any "What would the Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears do?" bracelets.  

Man, that's some thick ol' wrists required.

~FC.

Anyway, Forn, there's no need for that bracelet.  We KNOW what the Lover would do, in any situation: force all parties involved to submit to her carnal whims, and then dismember them.

Which is how I tend to solve problems, too.

Anyway, Forn, there's no need for that bracelet.  We KNOW what the Lover would do, in any situation: force all parties involved to submit to her carnal whims, and then dismember them.
 You give the Lover too little credit.

I don't know about anyone else, but the way I run the contracts is that nobody ever breaks one.  When that effect gets called down on somebody, they know that this is how they have to act now.  Having several botches hanging over your head for the worst possible moment is pretty much a death sentence in my book.  Or possibly even worse than death.  I just have to reiterate: "worst possible moment".

Incidentally, I've never had to deal with anybody ever breaking one.

lol.

I imagine if it ever came up in my game I'd TRY to keep the oath breaker alive through the first few botches, since thats the answer to WWTUSD

He'd want them alive and suffering, unless they were so dangerous and so big a threat to his followers he used the curse as a blunt weapon against the person.

but in most cases he'd drag it out as much as possible to prolong their suffering.

Years of petty misfortune would probaly inspire more cautionary tales, then a straightforward death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back