BLUE BALLS OF BUDDHA

memesis

One Thousand Club
So my 2nd Ed books arrived today.  And yeah, the game is just that good.

Stunt dice add themselves to your DV directly.  Thus, if my DV is 4 (-4 successes to hit me) and I get a 2-die stunt, my DV is now 6.  People complaining about Armor Class can now STFU.

Stillborn - the social Charms talk a lot about MDV, but I haven't really seen other talk of the Social Combat mechanics.  In fact, there is a nice sidebar/explanation box that talks about how NOT to let Social Combat screw with the experience of RP.  There are discussions about social stunting.  In other words, if someone feels their RP diminished due to these rules, the developers have taken pains to prevent that.

There is an explicit note that says "sometimes Charm flavor text is just flavor text".  Ignore this warning at your peril.

LOTS of permanent Charms that do really neat stuff.  Charms that reset your Virtue channel count instead of taking Willpower back.  Charms that permanently boost the number of Melee extra actions you get.  etc.

Full color art for everything.

Explicit discussions on almost every hot-point in Exalted mechanics.  Four Flaws of Invulnerability to keep people whining about how broken their game is with HGD.

Hot damn.

... I hear they've included the mammoth of a monetary system available in Manacle & Coin as well...

The monetary system isnt even complicated, it's a rather simple system based on the roman currency in the real world :P Even has the same names and values. When the paper money takes over, it goes to chinese ( I think )

Yeah, but in my opinion there is still no need for a detailed currency system, at least not for my games anyway.

Im really happy with the monetary system too. It's great for settings in realm controlled or influenced areas and a nice inspiration for other places with currencies.

I am amongst the people who are not going to use the social combat system and have been worried that it would be so closely tied to charms, that it would pose a problem using them. So far the only place I have found social combat enmeshed with charms is the integrity tree, that builds directly upon it. Else I don't see it getting too much in the way.

memesis said:
Stillborn - the social Charms talk a lot about MDV, but I haven't really seen other talk of the Social Combat mechanics.  In fact, there is a nice sidebar/explanation box that talks about how NOT to let Social Combat screw with the experience of RP.  There are discussions about social stunting.  In other words, if someone feels their RP diminished due to these rules, the developers have taken pains to prevent that.
Excellent.

Now the question is, who do you have to fellate around here to get Amazon to acutally SHIP the fucking books?

-S

memesis said:
Charms that permanently boost the number of Melee extra actions you get.  etc.
How does one get "extra actions" when there are no turns? Does it boild down to "simultaneous" actions? i.e. flurries with no dice penalties?

-S

its more like you enhance the existing extra action charms, permanently. it's like an upgrade for your charm. pretty spiffy really.

Safim said:
Yeah, but in my opinion there is still no need for a detailed currency system, at least not for my games anyway.
Then you still have another 399 pages of useful material.

Stillborn said:
memesis said:
Excellent.

Now the question is, who do you have to fellate around here to get Amazon to acutally SHIP the fucking books?

-S
Ordered off WW instead of Amazon.

Stillborn said:
memesis said:
Charms that permanently boost the number of Melee extra actions you get.  etc.
How does one get "extra actions" when there are no turns? Does it boild down to "simultaneous" actions? i.e. flurries with no dice penalties?

-S
Yes.  Flurries with no penalty, all on your current tick.

Social combat.  To answer some of the concerns.

Social Stunts: STs are recommended that IC speaking should be worth an automatic +1 Stunt in social combat, and that players and STs interact ICly whenever possible.  The sky is not falling, the system will not ruin your RP (unless you let it), etc.

Integrity: this ability includes some great Charms, like the ability to regain the use of a channeled Virtue in place of a WP for stunting.  It is your most general defense in Social Combat.

Linguistics, Performance, Presence, Socialize: they all come into play, depending on the conditions of your engagement.

Appearance: Gives a bonus (or penalty).  In other words, better-looking people are more persuasive.  No duh.  For written works, Linguistics subs in here.

MDV: Mental Defense Value.  Two types, each based on different things - you can "parry" with your Socialize, for example, while "dodge" is always based on Integrity.  So Integrity is not mandatory, but it is useful.

Virtues: If someone argues for something that a strong Virtue of yours opposes, you get an MDV bonus to resist.  Things in line with a strong Virtue give you an MDV penalty - so yes, Virtues matter, BUT they are not your defense.  If someone says "we should go help the villagers", having a high Compassion makes you more likely to go along with it.

There is an Integrity Charm which applies a Virtue directly to your MDV as a bonus for the scene.  In addition, you can presumably channel Virtues in Social Combat if you want, although it's probably better to use an Integrity Excellency in the long run.  Use both if you absolutely must win.

I can't see how a system could prevent people from roleplaying, but it does seem as though WW puts very little stock in people's ability to roleplay. I mean, the system gives a one die stunt bonus for actually talking! That is the absolute, most basic, fundamental part of roleplaying. Thanks for the trust, WW!

memesis said:
Stunt dice add themselves to your DV directly.  Thus, if my DV is 4 (-4 successes to hit me) and I get a 2-die stunt, my DV is now 6.  People complaining about Armor Class can now STFU.
Sounds like the Dodge feat to me. Or Combat Expertise. Only requireing flowery prose.

Same effect, different flavor text.

The Defense system is pretty neat, in my opinion. And I hate D&D. To me it looks more like Legend of the 5 rings. Which is a fast and really nice system.

Ormseitr said:
I can't see how a system could prevent people from roleplaying, but it does seem as though WW puts very little stock in people's ability to roleplay. I mean, the system gives a one die stunt bonus for actually talking! That is the absolute, most basic, fundamental part of roleplaying. Thanks for the trust, WW!
Think about most of the people who roleplay, Orm.  Consider the drooling masses of fanboy mouth-breathers with a hardon in their left hand and dog-eared copy of some DBZ manga in their right.  THEN tell me White Wolf's lack of trust is misplaced.

Not that the folks on this forum are like that... most of you, anyway.

Ormseitr said:
I think if White Wolf put little stock in peoples' ability to roleplay, they would not have released this lavishly-detailed setting complete with intricate political and social themes, you know?  The weight of the setting as an argument (in MY opinion) totally blows away the "distrust" idea that you say the 1-die bonus represents.

In other words, don't miss the forest for the trees.

operations said:
memesis said:
Sounds like the Dodge feat to me. Or Combat Expertise. Only requireing flowery prose.

Same effect, different flavor text.
Are you willfully ignorant?  It's the same as the Dodge feat in that there is a bonus being applied to your ability to avoid being hit.  Otherwise, stunts are completely separate from Feats.

If you really need me to enumerate how, I will.

You may as well say that DV is exactly the same as rolling Dex+Dodge, only the number of successes will be different.  Same effect, different way of getting there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back