Tutorial Beginner's Tips for Advanced Roleplaying

peritwinkle

♠️your local Raphael♠️
Helper
Greetings, RPN!

It is not rare to stumble upon green roleplayers on this site, and since I have been at this game for quite a few years, I thought I could share some of my knowledge and tips for improving your writing. I chose to keep the basics out this time around, since there are many other threads floating around with incredible tips for roleplaying structure. Please keep in mind that I am by no means implying that the advice given in this thread is an ultimatum, but rather, a thread meant to stand as reference for those looking to kick things off or to breathe new air into their replies.

That being said, fasten your seat belts and pull out your pens!

Creating living, breathing characters
Character creation is the root of a good story, adjacent to the plot, but perhaps even more impactful. Whether you are writing a novel or kickstarting a new roleplay, those hours spent scouring the depths of your brain for names and backstories are inevitable. Character sheets - CS for short - are often considered to be the easy way out: they help us keep track of information as well as provide reference for our partners. However, we have all heard the popular saying amongst writers - show, don't tell - advising that the best way to characterize an individual is through their actions, gestures, reactions and relationships. It means that it is not enough to put your character's personality into words - you have to make it believable.

• The first few pages of every novel or narrative work are meant to present the time, setting and main characters of a story. It is also where we tend to clump and cluster our information in an attempt to establish the context. This applies not only to location, but to our protagonists as well. So, instead of blurting out a bag of info in one paragraph (that the reader will probably still struggle to digest and remember by the second page), present it discreetly by introducing it into the narration. As a rule of thumb, imply, don't explain.
Example: 'Lady Jessica, the King's daughter, had glistening brown curls and deep blue orbs. She was as tall as a 5 foot 5 tree and slim as a thin plank of wood.
Try: 'Lady Jessica's dark gaze followed the King's guards as they marched down the alley by the castle, careful as to not be seen from behind the corner of the stone wall. Her small figure had allowed for her to slip into the crevice and hide until they passed.'
Example: 'John did not understand what Anna was saying.'
Try: 'John cocked his brow and canted his head.'

• Dialogue can be used not only as a means of exchanging lines, but also to convey emotion, or certain mentalities and psychological traits. Have your character not only answer a question, but react to it.
Example: '"I don't know," he replied.'
Try: 'He lowered his shoulders and let out a sigh of frustration. "I don't know," he shrugged.'

• When it comes to creating a backstory (or deciding upon a personality), keep asking yourself the 'why?' question until it no longer results in relevant answers. Why is your character in the situation they are in now? Perhaps they got into trouble for doing something they were not supposed to be doing. Why is their favourite food garlic bread? Maybe because it reminds them of home. Villains with no purpose are one dimensional and lackluster. This does not only apply to villains.
Spice and pepper for your vocabulary
Whether you are a native English speaker or still learning, Google Translate is your friend. I always keep my tab open when writing replies, and it comes in handy for avoiding repetitive words as well as spicing up your writing game with an interesting adjective. For the countless times that I have had to describe a sunset, a character's hair or a piece of fabric, I have picked up way too many synonyms for the word 'red'. A lot more than I could ever need.

ddd.png

Now, I don't recommend throwing fancy words around just for the sake of it. Roleplaying is not and should not be a competition, and most importantly, it should not make your partner have to Google a definition after each sentence or paragraph. It is good to keep in mind that your vocabulary should match your writing style and, sometimes, even your character's own level of literacy. Unless you always write in third person omniscient, it might not make sense to have a medieval peasant think of his horse as an 'exquisite stallion with orbs of emerald'.

Another good tip that I believe is universally accepted is to opt for clear, not excessively long (Victorian-style) sentences. While one-liners might not always provide good continuation material for your partner, it is good to sometimes sift your words through and try to make it understandable from the first read.

Fashioning a good starter
With a good plot and some characters in mind, writing the starter is... well, just as nerve-wracking as before. If you're like me, you will most likely stress endlessly about making it interesting and exciting enough for you partner.

One thing to keep in mind is that a starter inevitably sets the mood of your story. Whether you know your characters extremely well or you are only just getting acquainted, a good starter will inevitably, for the most part, shape the path of your roleplay. And while the writing style and what you choose to showcase in your starter is up to you, here is a brief, basic guideline for what you should include if you are unsure where to start:

• Ask yourself the W questions - where, when, and why. Describe or imply where and how your story starts. This is where the gist of it lays more often than not. Shroud it in all of the mystery you like, but let the essence peek through.
  • Scratch the surface of your characters, but allow others to explore them further. As I suggested earlier, it is good to avoid info dumping in order to preserve the excitement of discovery.
  • Give your partner something to work with. Let your own characters' scenes play out, but allow your partner to pick up from where you left off.
Note: This does not apply to highly individual scenes, such as circumstances where both perspectives are presented far apart/in different locations, but should be kept in mind regardless.

In the end, remember that roleplays are not personal work, but shared effort. Communicate with your partner, shoot ideas at eachother and make sure you are all comfortable with the flow. Keep in mind that each roleplay has its highs and lows, such as any creative process, and you should not feel ashamed for dropping in quality and consistency every now and then. What is important is to work on improving, learn from your mistakes and, sometimes, step out of your comfort zone to learn something new.

Once again, I chose to share the tips that have helped me develop and grow as a writer. I hope you will find them useful along the way, and please don't hesitate to add to them.

I will most likely come back to this for the occasional edits!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back