• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Beast Souls of Taman - accepting

SilverFlight

Tende altum, volare altius
Supporter
black fox.jpg
rain tiger.jpg

Most of the art used in this rp belongs to Kenket, you can find their gallery here:
kenket on DeviantArt

What is a soul?

For the people of the land of Taman a soul is the spirit of a person, reflected in the animal form they can take. Every single person in the land has a soul and is gifted at the age of 12 with the true form of that soul as well as an in-between form, so they can be human in shape and function and yet wear their soul for the eyes of all.

For centuries, the people of the four kingdoms and the neighboring lands have lived as they always have. They rule, they trade, they hunt, farm, invent and make war. Whispers have begun to grow however, rumours of an unnamed evil spreading from the far reaches of their lands. Signs have begun to appear to the wise men and women, the priests and priestesses of many places. They can only agree that bad things are coming. Now and then shadows descend upon a tribe, a village, a family. They are taken, just taken, no evidence left of even their existence save for their empty houses and abandoned camps.

There are a hundred times more stories than there are truths, some say they are great many-legged beasts that devour hapless people. Others say they are wraiths, soulless human-formed monsters that suck the souls from others and reduce them to the mute animals they came from. No one can say for sure, because no one has ever encountered these shadows and come back to speak of it.

Now, finally heeding the warning of their wise, the four kingdoms are mustering. Cheng, the emperor of Xiong-Shi is hosting the talks in his Eastern stronghold and, there has been a call for all the land's best and brightest to make their way to the palace and join the effort to save their home.

Last edited:
57487cd4293f203c05cf119161a53811.jpg

Name: Ayize
Form: Human
Place: On the steps of the imperial palace

The dawn had been a cold one, but everything in this land was cold to Ayi. He wasn't used to the thin, damp air, to waking up with frost on his bed roll and cramps in his limbs. Even sleeping stepped, his thick fur bristling to keep out the cold, hadn't helped much. He was just not suited to this environment. When he broke the camp that morning he resolved to purchase some warmer clothing when he arrived in town. As his feet came off the dirt track and touched the stone path of the highroad however his mood brightened. The imperial city was visible now, rising out of the morning mist like a palace of Gods, red roofs styled in a manner so completely alien to him, curling up at their edges and ending with gold-plated wooden toggles. He entered through the city gates as a man, two tigers eyed him from their guard posts, wearing their souls and holding spears in their massive paws. Security in this city was very present. Ayi, being a foreigner wasn't so sure if this was good for him, or bad.

He introduced himself to the administrator sitting at a small desk set out by the steps that lead up to the palace's reception hall. He was human now, but Ayi guessed he was of the crane tribe, his thin frame lost in long folds of gold fabric, a pair of rounded spectacles on his beak-like nose.
The administrator scribbled a few things down, including where Ayi was from, his profession and how he could contribute to the force the emperor was calling. Then, after an inspection from another set of guards he was sent on his way.
Ayi stopped at the steps and looked up. The palace was a stunning piece of architecture. In many ways similar and yet so different from the Western plains capital city. He wondered how they obtained so deep a red for the paint that covered the elegant sloping roofs, or the gold that trimmed intricately carved doors and windows. He also marveled at a pair of stylized dogs, mains and scales shining with gold and black lacquer. Under the massive paw of one was a rounded ball, under the other what looked like the animal's cub. Symbols of protection, he guessed.

~~~

Within the hall, seated on a glorious throne on a square stone dias was the Emperor of the eastern lands. His red silk robes flowed like a river over the mahogany arms of his chair, the sleeves so long they swept the floor. He sat straight and tall, wearing his soul proudly, a center-point of black and white in a room of red and gold. With his size alone he struck an intimidating presence, but his eyes were gentle and wise and for those that knew how to look, they were troubled. He hadn't wanted so many guards in the room. They lined the walls on either side of him, fierce warriors from the boar clans to the bull to the eagle, all now dressed identically in armour of Imperial bronze.
Silently the emperor sat back and waited as his guests filtered in.

ConverseGhost ConverseGhost

Name: Amara
Form: Fully Stepped - Anthro
Place: Two miles away from the Imperial Palace
It had been two weeks since Amara had arrived to the famed Imperial Palace. She had been told that this was the place to be, in regards to the darkness that ate at the land. She remembered back on that day, her long fur quivering at the thought. She shook it from her mind and began her trot once more. She walked in the grass beside the highroad, it's softer, cooler feeling still foreign to her rough pads. It was interesting how the earth changed so much with just a couple days to weeks of running. Her form was growing tired though and her rest has been minimal. The young warrioress had been staying in the outskirts of a little town about 20 miles away, a dead lead for her search once again. But this was one of many, so it did not discourage her.

Her tail began a slow wag as she saw a greater hill in front of her, knowing that just past the bright greens and reds of the trees atop the highroad peak, she'd see what she'd been searching for. The Imperial Palace. It was to have her answers on where her quest for the Eating Darkness shall begin. Courage and fear filled her chest as she bounded for the peak, tongue lolling now. If no one had seen a Wild Dog before, she could've easily passed for a mutt in this region. Her fur was longer than a normal for a Wild Dog and her coloring was much different than the ones she's seen here. She was an array of whites, browns, tans and blacks while there were more dainty and colorful animals here.

Amara sighed in relief, her paws suddenly growing achy with the sight of the Imperial Palace. It was... unlike the style of her homelands Longhouses but she appreciated it's intricacy. It had many more colors and details, making her head hurt in the slightest. She closed her eyes and focused on her goddess Tule, drawing strength from her as she straightened out. Amara stood, long legs taking in the same stride that her fully stepped form had been able to achieve. Only now, she was in her Anthro form. She took the stairs slowly and in grace, holding her black robes up so they didn't drag. Her deep amber eyes met those of the armored Tigers, nodding to them once and passing to the spindly man at his desk. "Amara Zyquin of the Baayo Tribe," she spoke softly to him, her voice warm and rich. She curtsied to him once and passed him by, finding her seat in the aisle of the middle. This was where her quest would soon begin.

Place: The imperial hall.​

Ayi climbed the steps at last and was admitted to the hall of the emperor, he surveyed the faces that had appeared, one of which caught his eye immediately. The riot of black, white and tan was unmistakable, and Ayi never thought he would see another of the wild dog clan this far away from the plains. He found himself moving toward her through the hall, skirting many warriors, explorers, researchers and mercenaries.
Suddenly he felt a rough shoulder ram into his back and stumbled forward so fast his staff flew from his hand. It landed on the marble floor with a clatter as Ayi turned around to see who had hit him. A rough-looking mercenary, wearing his crocodile soul glowered down at him from primeval yellow eyes.
"Watch your paws little dog." He growled, obviously trying to goad him. His long snout was rimmed with sharp, uneven teeth. Ayi did not wear armour, he was not large or intimidating like the ox or the wolf, and he realized he must have come off as quite an easy target for the undesirables that were no doubt drawn in by the call from an emperor. Ayi bent to pick up his staff, only to have the crocodile plant a scaly foot upon it, preventing him from retrieving it.
I can't let this become a scene. He thought quickly. If I am thrown out with this idiot I'll have come all the way here for nothing.
He stood back up, meeting the bully's eyes with a faint smile, while inwardly he wracked his brains on how to retrieve his staff without causing a fight, though, watching the smug smile on the crocodile's face, there was nothing he would have liked better.

Form: Anthro
Place: Imperial Palace
Amara looked up to the Emperor in awe, never seeing a Panda. He looked so...plain. Such simple markings and no colors. How could he blend into a place like this into his Fully Stepped form? Knowing her place, she never dared open her mouth to ask anyone but it did make for an interesting conversation with locals when she returned to an inn. A loud clatter drew her attention to her left, seeing a man fall to his knees as a Half Stepped Crocodile stood over him. She frowned and cocked her head, her large ears honing in on their words.

"Watch your paws, little dog," he had growled, a grin spreading far across his jaws. She could see that he was being held there, his weapon of no use to him under the massive croc's foot. She huffed, seeing the fight was unfair. Even though she didn't know this man nor his form, she decided that this was enough. She moved fluidly towards their locations and stood with her back to the crocodile's. silent as a wood mouse. She raised her hindleg and gave a sharp kick into the back of his knee, his weight crumbling to the side. As he regained his balance, she was able to kick his staff to his knees and turn to the both of them.

Being isolated so long, Amara couldn't read another's soul in their human form like others could. But she would be blind if she didn't see that this was another Wild Dog. Someone she'd been looking for. He was obviously from a different tribe than her but her kin none the less. She took in a bit of air in surprise but shook it off and addressed the crocodile as he stood. "No one has come here for a fight. We are united in a common enemy, so do not place yourself on the other side of the savannah, my friend," she nodded, holding a hand out to her fallen Wild Dog.

Place: The imperial hall.

Ayi blinked in surprise when the crocodile grunted and stumbled. His foot came off the staff and another kicked it toward him. Ayize did not waste a single moment, he swooped down, snatching his staff in one hand and saluting the burly mercenary with another.
"Most gracious of you!"
He grinned at the warning that was issued, because it came from none other than the woman of the wild dog he had spotted earlier.
"And to you, most well-spoken." He took the offered hand happily.
The mercenary snarled, a hand going to his belt for a weapon, but just then a pair of guards neared, patrolling the crowd and making making sure there was no trouble.
"I never thought I would see another of my clan here, but I am very glad I did." Ayi said, leading them away from the fuming croc.
For her benefit he called his soul and changed, his muzzle, now long and black and his gold eyes held a similar smile.
"I am Ayize. My tribe has named me 'Life Catcher'. Please, will you honor me with your name? And what brings you so long a way from our beautiful homeland?"

Last edited:
Amara frowned at the mercenary's threat, his heavily clawed hand reaching for another weapon. She didn't dare draw hers, seeing the guards step forward but she believed he didn't need a weapon to inflict damage. Not with those claws. She merely nodded to the guards and followed in suit with the Dog who called himself Ayize. "As am I. My name is Amara Zyquin and I could ask you the same question," her smile wide as she watched him change, voice teasing. "I was driven from my tribeland from our very own Spirit Animal. I come here seeking answers for the loss of my tribe," her amber eyes were filled with sorrow for a moment but then they grew curious.

"Now, were you never taught to not swim in the waters that host such dangerous creatures? It seems that you walked right into his trap, Mister Life Catcher," she chuckled, tail giving a playful wag in the sport of it. "What brings you so far from home, brother? And what of your pack? Are they..." she frowned and caught herself, shaking her head. "I apologize, I speak too much. Thank you for joining my company," Amara's large ears bowed as she regained her composure.

Place: The imperial hall.

Ayi's smile fell as his new ally told him of her lost tribe. "That is a tragedy beyond measure. I am truly sorry."
But her change told him she had made at least a partial peace with the fact and was happy to oblige her curiosity.
"One thing you will learn quickly about me is that trouble often stalks me for it's own amusement, and I am generally too dense to see it coming." He wrapped on his head with a fist to emphasize his empty head. "But as for dangerous creatures it seems this gathering has pooled them all together at once and one could barely sneeze without angering three of them at a time." Ayi gave a tentative glance around, just to make sure his words hadn't angered anyone.
"What brings me? I have traveled the world dedicated to learning the art of healing from all the best within it. It is part of an oath I made...and why I can never return to my home. I can only hope my people are well, but I have been away for so long that hope is all I have." It was Ayi's turn to look saddened for a moment. When Amara scolded herself for speaking Ayi's smile returned and he gave her a coy smile.
"My lady after the silence of my own company for months on end your voice is a beautiful ray of sunlight breaking through the clouds of my sullen demeanor. You are most welcome to speak as much as would please you, for it certainly pleases me."

It was then a silence was called for in the room and Ayi turned in reverence to the emperor, who stood now, in his glittering robes.

"I do not need to tell you the reason I have called you here," he began, slowly and with a wizened authority that to Ayi at least, commanded respect. The emperor had the same bearing as his village wise woman, sagely and strong and Ayi smiled when he thought of her.
"There is a plague creeping upon our land. Villages have been plundered, strange beasts have been spotted roaming the wildest part of our world. In no land has this not been happening." There were several nods of agreement from some of the warriors there, even frightened looks from those whom Ayi assumed had actually seen these monstrosities.
"The leaders of all peoples, and the speakers for almost every tribe have come together and we have agreed that we must unite in the face of this threat, for it attacks us all without discrimination, and without mercy. In order to fight an enemy, you must know your enemy, and that is why I have asked you here. I have called upon the best of you. I will ask you to be our vanguard force, to go into the deepest parts of the wilds of our world and drag this shadowy threat into the light. Your task is to find anything and everything you can about our enemy. Gold will be paid in plenty for information that will allow us to fight, and win."
He scanned the crowd, well anticipating the question many were asking.
"For those that do not already know, you have been sent to this land because we have gained a lead for you. In the mountains to the east of this city there is a network of caves. From there my men have observed a nest of these creatures, they have since destroyed ten villages and they are where our quest for knowledge must begin."
The emperor raised a fisted paw. "Now go, and may your gods ever watch over your shoulders."

Place: Imperial Palace
A sigh escaped her lips, nodding in agreement, "As am I, Ayize. They were my Pack." But a smile once more found her and she chuckled at his comment, shaking her head. "I can see that you're correct, sir. Words can hold so much power, especially when you surround yourself with those who call you foe," Amara took in the scene around her. Many different people of different backgrounds, the human forms and Anthro forms mingling dangerously. It was a deadly poison that could easily set off at any moment. Amara herself had saw this when she had attempted to diffuse Ayize's situation with the mercenary, who was strangely out of sight.

Only her kin's words of sorrow made her head turn to him, trouble crossing her features. "You flatter me, sir. But of your people? They are your Pack, no? How could you not return to your heart? Your soul?" her voice bordering frustration as she turned to him fully. It was too late, however because the Emperor was speaking. Concern filled her eyes but she turned back to the Emperor with reluctance. His words brought her spirit down, her tail drooping. They do not know. They have brought many here to track it down... Fear filled her heart, thinking of fighting against what the stories have spoken about these black evils.

It was when the Panda lifted his fist in faux glory that she had to stifle a snarl. This was not glory. The gods had nothing to do with this. This was evil. "It was a pleasure to meet you but I must go," she bowed and turned on her heel. She left the Palace in a brisk pace, lifting her robes to take the steps two at a time. Amara was filled with rage. This was no way to combat such an evil. Man nor Beast could drag this darkness into the light. How could one fight something that took your very soul? This was a waste of time. I belong in my homelands, where I can die with honor if the darkness stalks me once more.

Place: The imperial hall

Ayi was nodding gravely to all that the emperor said. He was so focused that he did not catch wind of Amara's unease until she bid him farewell.
He did a double take quickly before nearly tripping over his robe to go after her.
"Amara? Amara, wait for me!"
He hurried behind her, coming to match her step for step and scan her face with a look of worry.
"I don't understand, you come all this way and now you wish to leave? What if this is the lead you have come here for?" He did his best to step in front of her at the door to the hall, to bar her way.
"You said you were driven our of your home by our God, I cannot imagine what you mean, but what if the answers lie to the East, in that caves the emperor spoke of? Would you not owe it to yourself to just see them?"
His tone became more serious then, and he tried to catch her eyes. "Amara, this, whatever is happening, this is larger than you or I. I've seen the wake of destruction left behind by this force; in villages of clans that have known nothing but peace for hundreds of years...it's hunger will not be slaked. Not unless we unite and stop it. If we do not rise and stand together now, it will pick us off..I cannot leave until I know more about this threat...but, I do not wish to go on my own..."
He looked at her almost pleadingly, his gold eyes reflecting the finery of the room...and Amara before him.

(Sorry, for some reason it did not notify me that you replied :( )

Place: Door of the Imperial Palace
Though her large ears picked up every word he had spoke, Amara refused to turn to him. Her pace sped up as she heard him running after her but he jumped in front of her. A sigh of frustration escaped her but she stood to listen to him, as would any other woman or man with honor would do. "You know it yourself, Ayize, that this was not the making of the Gods. Yes, it is a lead but it is a trap! These things leave no bodies, let alone survivors! How can we plan to imprison something if we cannot defeat it?" Her amber eyes were wide with both fear and anger. How could he not see?

Amara met his eyes and frowned at his words. "I respect you, brother, but you are wrong. You saw what that crocodile spirit wanted. No one here will or wants to unite. We are a Pack of angry loners. No one will survive and it will be in vain. Our deaths will bring strength to the bones of the darkness! Come with me, Ayize Life-Catcher. We can go home to our land! It is hard for the darkness to reach such a place of bright light. We could be safe, no...?" her ears folded, stepping around him, eyes still locked.

Place: The imperial hall - entrance

Ayi's throat tightened. He wanted to go back. Oh he wanted to, more than anything. To see his family again, his mother, father, even the old healer who had trained him.
"I can't."
He looked down at the ground between them, not shifting his gaze even as she stepped to pass him.
"Amara the darkness will come to the plains. It is only a matter of time." He turned now to look at her, gold eyes set with determination.
"That time I will not spend running. I cannot." He sighed finally and gripped his staff with a firm resolve.
"I go with the mercenaries. To the caves, to see what I can learn about these shadow beasts, I...suppose, this means goodbye?"
His reluctance to part her company was evident. He had finally found something of his homeland, and leaving it now brought back all the original hurt which pricked him fresh as the day he had been banished.
With that he followed her down the steps, going to stand at the head of a group, where one of the emperor's men was organizing the party that was heading out to the caves.
Ayi looked back to try and catch Amara's gaze one more time.

Form: Anthro-Fully Stepped
Place: Imperial Palace stairs - The High Road
Amara could not contain her disbelief as she watched him refuse to meet her eyes. He...was still going? Her heart fell, ears folding back and her eyes filled with sorrow. "I see...Yes, well I...I suppose it is goodbye afterall. I pray for you, Ayize...You know where to find me," she spoke in a soft voice, obviously hurt by his decision. She was so alone without her Pack and just when she thought she had found someone like her, he had decided to leave. The loneliness in her heart was triple-fold now but she turned from him and shifted down, her form much smaller than his.

Facing away from him, her Dog spirit found it's footing easily as she ran. The stones felt colder than ever and somehow her fur couldn't block out the wind. She was running alone now. At the top of the hill, her Dog turned to look him in the eyes. She hoped it wouldn't be the last time but she held his gaze as if it was. Then, with a soft yip, she disappeared over the hill, her aim towards the tavern back in the town 20 miles off from here. From there, she would go home...

Place: Hilltop by the tavern

It had been several hours since the band of would-be heroes set our from the Imperial city. Many had been reluctant to leave the gilded walls, some for the comforts offered within them, others in fear of what lay ahead. Ayize could not feel one way or the other about it. His mind was on something that had left the boundaries of those walls earlier that day.
Part of him still wondered if he had chosen the right path. He had not missed his home so keenly since he had watched Amara's wild dog form recede into the crowds in the city, heading for the plains he so often saw in his dreams.
"And they can only be dreams Ayize," he muttered to himself, "you can never go home..."
"What ails you plains dog?" A deep baritone voice sounded behind him. Ayi looked up to find the unspoken leader of their party glancing down with a fatherly expression. He was a gigantic man of the bear tribe from the north. A noble of a wealthy city or something of that weight. His hair greying and beard cropped and squarish. He wore his tribe's traditional armour, with stylized shapes coiling about each other in long, sweeping lines. No surface of that armour was not inscribed with some rune or figure. He had done away with the thick furs his people normally wore underneath, instead choosing to have only a thin lining of beaten leather between his tanned skin and the thick, steel plates. His eyes were as blue as glacial ice. Ayi had seen him before wearing his soul, he was even larger then, in his form of a fantastic ice bear.
"Nothing that can be cured tonight Björn." Ayi tried his best to put on a winning smile. He was fooling no one.
"When we first met I knew that there was no coward in you Ayi, and you keep glancing down the road south as if your soul ran away from you."
Ayi smiled sadly, the bear was far too observant. "I just need time."
"You need a drink is what you need." Ulfren finished resolutely. He clapped Ayi on the shoulder and turned back to the communal fire to fulfill his imposed request.
Ayi continued to sit on his log away from the fire, they eyes of his soul much better than his eyes as a man. He could see for miles from the hilltop they had chosen to rest on. No inn would have even remotely enough room, so they had opted to camp. But Ayi could see the lights in the windows of the tavern not so far off. They had journeyed South first, to skirt the worst of the mountains, aiming for a pass that would bring them closest to their destination with the least amount of actual climbing.

Something in the darkness stirred. Ayi caught the flash of eye shine as the thing had turned toward him, and the fire behind him. Less than forty paces down the hill. The unsettling thing was, Ayi could have sworn he saw light glinting off of not two eyes, but eight, moving in sync, as if all belonged to one body...
Then a sudden movement and Ayi's heart froze as he saw several huge, spindly legs. He could see the silhouette of it now that he was looking. ack and alien against the dark blue of the grasslands about it. Then four more. They turned abruptly and headed straight for the tavern.
Ayi gave a shout of alarm, rousing the party.

The tavern was winding down for the evening, the last guests just settling into their cups as the innkeeper went to bolt the door. She didn't see the shadows lurking outside, the long, poisonous fangs dripping just outside the window. The first pair of legs smashed through a window by the hearth and in the kitchens the back door was wrenched from it's hinges and a set of four legs slid in from the darkness at all of its edges.
It did not take long for panic to gain a hold on the place as the spiders, big as horses forced their way into the building.

Last edited:
SKADHI TIMUR | ANTHRO | TAVERN IN XIONG-SHI

The wolfess sipped her shaojiu, the rice wine burning sweetly down her throat. She kept her cloak fastened around her and one hand idle on the hilt of her shortsword, successful in warding off most of the obstinate, pig-minded men who approached her with one thing in mind. Even having grown up in a culture where mead was poured like water, alcohol was one of the few blessings she rarely ever indulged in, and she would not have anything stand between her and the rice wine she nursed.

The room was dim, with dark oak furniture and embroidered silk curtains hanging from the rafters and window frames. A paper screen separated the kitchens, where the spicy aromas of ginger and spices blended with the sweet incense lit in the dining area. Paper lanterns floated above the table, and an exquisite rug absorbed the murmurs and laughter filling the room as the drinks were poured.

It was a stark contrast to the canine's homeland. The taverns and inns in the kingdom were boisterous and filthy, selling guaranteed warmth from the cold: prostitutes and hard drink. Approaching an inebriated stranger for conversation always ended in a fight with uncoordinated fists or slurred curses. She had been relieved to find she was not the only outsider, in fact, there seemed to be many foreign but capable warriors alongside the regular patrons, presumed to have come from the audience with the Emperor of Xiong-Shi, and been disappointed with Cheng's answer, like she had. It would seem she would have to fight this darkness her own way, with no help from the Xiong-Shi empire.

Just as she drained the last of her glass, a chill swept across her pelt and left her with chills, though the room was quite warm. Before she could finish another thought, clatters, screams, and barks filled the room as the windows shattered inward and darkness poured in. Immediately Skadhi stood on the surface of her heavy table, in fighting form with her weapon drawn and teeth bared. Around her, chaos raged. The foreign patrons, hailed as fierce fighters in their native lands, drunkenly cowered as candles were knocked over and fires spread. Loud rips as the hinges of the back door burst open and the screens were clawed open. Horrified, she realized the darkness was solid, and the huge rays of it that moved with arachnid frenzy were appendages. They were monsters, huge spiders that surrounded the building and trapped her inside.

Leaping off of the table, she dodged bodies, living and dead, and began slicing the legs of the beasts with her knife as they rushed towards her. The demons shrieked in pain, but still squeezed their way through the back entrance of the inn. Mouthfuls of fangs and a multitude of shiny black eyes dripped with foul liquid, desperate to get to the people inside from the broken windows. The tavern was full of smoke and the smell of burning wood and fiber. Skadhi snarled, taking shallow breaths and blindly swinging her blade at the shadow beasts.

Luruke :: Animal :: Sky above Xiong-Shi

The bones that I've broken
Were naught but a token
For hungry for adventure was I,
The children I've nourished
They laughed and they flourished
And afterwards took to the sky
The blue, the blue
It calls so true
It knows my name
And the men that I slew
And now I don't regret a day
That I never stayed, the blue!

Luruke laughed bawdily after his tuneless song, just then spying the skyline of Xiong-Shi. It was so beautiful! It winked and glimmered in the night sky, staking its claim in the land with lanterns of oil and fire. It was right to come here, this really was where all the sights were. So far away from his humble life in the mountains, this was a city of unimagined proportions and wealth. His eyesight wasn't the best at night, and yet he could pick out every person, every delicately curved rooftop. It was a feast for the eyes.
He scanned the busy streets. Perhaps a place to stay until morning? Then he could be out exploring the city in the day...
Suddenly, he noticed something odd.
The streets, though lined with lanterns, writhed with something he couldn't see. A line of lanterns were knocked down, causing several stalls to catch fire. The writhing continued, moving steadily towards a large tavern. It darkened and took shape... Crashed and screams sounded as people ran or cowered in the face of... whatever it was.
Luruke's heart beat faster. An unseen enemy? One that struck under the cover of darkness to inspire fear and chaos? It sounded like an adventure! He cocked a wing and spiraled sharply down towards the scene.

As he neared closer, he noticed shapes. Eyes, many eyes, gleaming clearly in the mass of darkness. Legs fanning out, fangs dripping. He was confused.
Spiders?
The spiders advanced swiftly and smoothly towards the tavern. The wave crashed upon the building before he had reached tree level, their legs and fangs cutting through the tavern walls like cheese. A sudden burst of laughter choked out of him, and he spun in the air, switching to human form as he exploded down upon the first spider, laughing hysterically and incredulously as he hacked the spider to pieces from behind.
The evil spiders of darkness terrorize a tavern for want of a drink on this cold, lonely night. What am I doing here? What a funny adventure. Ammi would surely enjoy it.
Still cackling, he leapt from one spider to the next, stabbing with glee.

Last edited:
Place: Tavern
The spiders' hide was tough, almost impossible to pierce. Their thick carapaces were like steel plates, their abdomens, ballooned and swollen were protected by skin tough as boiled leather. They careened through the building, splintering tables and chairs, attracted to anything that moved or screamed.
As Skadhi ( marshmarrow marshmarrow ) wove about them with her blades, her strikes glanced off almost every time. Then suddenly her blade found a sweet spot in the joint of one creature and it screeched as it's leg was sliced clean off. It curled in on itself, leaking acrid black blood and the wound hissed unnaturally, as if a dark power coursed through it's body.
The vulture tribesman ( Larke Larke ) had just as much luck as he darted over one and the other, stabbing with his knives. One blade managed to slide into the joining flesh between thorax and abdomen and he was rewarded with a wet hiss too and a stream of black blood. Where the liquid touched cloth or wood it burned, eating into it with a vile, acidic smell. The second spider fell, writhing in pain as it coated the floor and walls in black.

Ayi bounded through the night, darkness not hindering him in the slightest for the goddess' eye watched him overhead. His wild dog form ate up the ground with an intense speed so desperate was he to get to the tavern where he knew most likely Amara had chosen to rest.

The tavern was awash with chaos now, as those spiders that were not injured continued to attack, giving no regard for their wounded allies.
One caught up a sand cat tribeswoman by her thing leg, sinking fangs chest-deep into her. Two more wrapped others in silk, trapping them with no hope of escape without help.

Ayi was nothing but a mottled blur, throwing himself through an already broken window. He ducked and rolled, coming up wearing his soul and brandishing his iron-tipped staff. He swung the weapon in all the room the small tavern permitted, shredding a blue satin drape as he brought the knife edge down into the eyes of one of the beasts. It shied back, swiping at him with a hairy leg, tangling his staff and yanking him to the ground. Ayi dodged a set of fangs as long as his forearm and recoiled from the sickly, black venom that seeped into his robe. The creature had pinned him and it used one of its many legs to grapple with his staff, wrenching it out of his grasp. He snarled at the beast as it pulled its fangs free and turned on him for a second attack.

ConverseGhost ConverseGhost marshmarrow marshmarrow Larke Larke Dominaiscna Dominaiscna

((I should clarify, the tavern is a few miles out of the city, not in Xiong-Shi proper.))

Name: Xaman'Ek
Place: Tavern
Xaman'Ek recoiled, hissing involuntarily as acid burned into his arms. Long spindly legs curled in on themselves, twitching as the arachnid finally stopped fighting. The creature's corpse was somewhere between the size of a tiger and a large crocodile. With fangs longer than most daggers, burning blood, and legs as strong as quarterstaves the horror was a terror akin to the Mok of Ameta. Xaman'Ek winced as he tore his spear from between the spider's fangs, black blood still dripping from the weapon.

"Piercing the mouth works, but I don't recommend it." The warrior behind him merely grunted in reply. They had taken up positions in a narrow hallway connecting the bedrooms with the commons, forcing the creatures to engage one or two at a time. Xaman'Ek stood at the entrance to the commons, pulling his spear back into striking position yet again as the metallic smell of blood filled his nostrils. Behind him a massive tusked humanoid held the monsters at bay, standing ground where the hallway opened into the sleeping areas while a Lemur Archer fired into the arachnids.

All around them was chaos and fear and death. Massive shadows forced their way through the windows, sinking their fangs into the warriors inside, trapping others in a thick white silk. Some sort of bearded Avian darted into the chaos, piercing thick chitinous plates before leaping to his next victim. A furred woman wildy struck at the spider's legs, occasionally cutting them off at the joints. Another furred one rolled through the window, attacking with a large quarterstaff before getting pinned by one of the spiders. Xaman'Ek almost hissed an order but the Lemur had already fired. Her arrows flew through the air toward the monster that had pinned the Simbali warrior.

"Warmbloods! Out of the open!," Xaman'Ek shouted, slowly giving ground as yet another one of the creatures approached.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Larke Larke marshmarrow marshmarrow

Name: Elena
Place: Imperial city -> Hilltop by the tavern​

Elena had left the Imperial City later than most of those who had volunteered to deal with whatever threat was causing the insurrection across the East. While the fox had at first planned to attend the initial muster that was being hosted by the Emperor of Xiong-shi, she had gotten distracted by the opportunities that had been presented to her. She hadn't taken much, only a few coins here and there, but it was enough to sustain her for a few more days without rousing too much suspicion. When the day became late, she'd left the city, overhearing the intended direction that the party would be heading in from one of the few that had decided to delay their departure from the comforts that the wall had provided.

She traversed the road for a few hours: it was dark now, very dark and Elena wrapped her cloak close to herself to keep warm. The embers of a campfire burned not too far away, maybe a couple of hundred metres or so, and the fox started heading towards it. It was on top of a hill, no doubt chosen by somebody who wanted to keep a good eye on the surroundings, and Elena's instincts told her that this would be the fire she was looking for. As she got closer, she started running through a list of ways to introduce herself - the submissive line, the confident line, any line that would make her story more sympathetic perhaps?
As she got closer, she was forced to take pause: a lot of the warriors were quickly making there way down towards a tavern, Elena followed them at a distance, noticing why they had moved down to the tavern only a few moments later: eight-legged beasts that scuttled through the night with some sort of malevolent purpose. The fox stopped moving; she only had a knife, one designed cut into coin purses. There was a moment of contemplation, the fire was still burning at the top of the hill, albeit barely. There were more than enough warriors to deal with the threat; they'd want a fire to return to, surely, and a well tended one at that. Making her way back to the hilltop, Elena sat cross-legged next to the crackling flames, took out her knife and started sharpening it.

Ayi was waiting for the end when suddenly the creature jerked above him and flinched back. He wasted no time in pulling his staff up and driving the iron-bladed tip between the spider's mandibles, taking care to dodge the spill of sticky, tar-like blood.
He was up and away in a flash, nodding his thanks to the Lemur.
Ayi followed the sound of the order, given by one of the snake tribe that seemed well-versed in combat command. It was just at that moment that the bear tribesman Ayi had befriended earlier came charging into the fray. He commanded his fighters with a seasoned shortness and at least the five who had come with him from the North carried out his orders without a single word between them, Some carried torches, others lit pieces of curtains and already-splintered furniture. The spiders at first did not seem to fear the flames, they struck at a torch-bearing badger, collapsing his skull under the weight of one limb. The flames licked the creatures belly and soon the hairs caught the beast, now on fire went careening back into the night, hissing in pain. The others quickly learned to fear the fire.
"Whatever these demons are," Ayi breathed, his staff poised for another assault. "They are not immortal."
Still, the feeling that crept over him as the creatures were slowly driven back...these things were not natural.
One of the beasts turned on Xaman, charging him recklessly, fangs outstretched, ready to bury into his chest.

Onikmey Onikmey

ConverseGhost ConverseGhost marshmarrow marshmarrow Baconhands Baconhands Larke Larke

Name: Zhihan
Form: Full Animal -> Human
Place: En route to Imperial palace -> Tavern​
High above in the sky, a group of three red crowned cranes sliced through the air in a triangular formation. They cast long shadows on the ground below as they steadily made their way towards the Imperial Palace. However, en route columns of smoke that rose into the sky caught their attention. Fire could just be seen in the distance as flashes of red, orange and gold in the dimming light and, with the decision of the leader, the three swooped down towards the tavern to investigate. Upon nearing, they were met with utter chaos as enormous, black spider-like monsters wrecked havoc in the burning tavern. The three immediately touched down onto land just outside and morphing into their human forms. There stood three women whom wore long cloaks of white and grey and bore the symbol of the moon temple upon their foreheads.

The leader of the three turned to her two followers as the fire blazed before them. "Go and make sure all the civilians are safely out and tended to. We will handle the monsters," Zhihan spoke as one of the maidens handed her her longbow and a quiver of arrows, "Be safe, my sisters. May Ameta watch over us."

With a final nod to one another, each member went their separate ways, diving into the fiery fray. Zhihan made her way through doorway and into the flames and wreckage of the tavern, her bow at the ready and arrow set to fly. She remained in fully human form as the maiden did not want to risk singeing any of her wing's feathers or causing air flow that would only feed the fire. Her current form was weaker... but even so, she did not plan on getting into close quarters with the vile creature. However, the strange black monsters seemed to have a fear of fire as she spied one shrieking into the night set a lite in flames. That she could work with... if she could find some cloth and perhaps even oil for her arrows.

Shortly after she set foot in the tavern, Zhihan saw two figures through the smokey blaze. One was a furry man who resembled a Wild Dog with quarterstaff in hand. The other was a fully human man and as she watched, one of the spider-like creatures came hurting towards him. Instinctively, she drew the bowstring back, aimed and let an arrow loose. The projectile cut through the air, speeding towards the spider, specifically the area around its eyes.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Onikmey Onikmey

Name: Elena
The fox waited for half a minute: the warriors hadn't returned yet. Some valuables had been left behind by them as they had run off to deal with whatever threat was imposing itself upon the tavern; and Elena couldn't help herself. Standing up, she had taken to sifting through the easily accessible items, taking an odd coin here and a trinket there - she didn't take a noticeable amount from any of them and she didn't take anything that she thought would be missed. Coins went to her own coin purse, other assorted objects went to a small satchel at her side.

Glancing down at the tavern, Elena thought for a moment: if they hadn't returned yet, then surely they must still be fighting. Indeed, with the arrival of three aerial creatures, it appeared that the fighting was still going to be somewhat intense. This suspicion was promptly confirmed by the appearance of a fire. Elena, cautiously made her way down to the building; if the fighting was still raging, that meant there would likely be wounded. If she could bring some of them to the fire atop the hill, then perhaps she would be rewarded - whether monetarily or not, a reward was a reward. Elena nodded to herself: if you save a life, then you should be compensated in some form or manner.

The fox took to her self-assigned task with self-assured vigour and with mildly cruel efficiency, purposefully selecting those that were still concious and had significant injuries that weren't life threatening; she was no medic, and dead men gave no thanks. Within two minutes, Elena had safely removed four of the wounded from the fray - three of them willingly complied with her services, though one particularly stubborn reptile (Elena at least thought he was one given the scales) with a practically shattered leg insisted she return to the fray, though the fox constantly denied this request as she brought her back to, what she considered to be, safety.
Upon her return, Elena crouched next to one of the ruined windows and she looked in to the building to find her next target.
SilverFlight SilverFlight @Onikmey Dominaiscna Dominaiscna

Last edited:
Luruke :: Human :: Within the tavern

He could scarcely see for the smoke and flames. The fumes began to get to his head, and the chaos swirled around him. It seemed that someone had set the tavern ablaze, but there was little else plain to see. Timbers caught fire, and supports from the roof crashed down. Doorways began to crumble and become blocked in. Heat shimmered in the room, turning all before it into a mirage. His head swimming, he stood dazed as he surveyed the area around him, smoke burning his lungs, until he noticed a cry of help. Unsteadily, he lumbered towards the sound and towards a door, blocked by a ceiling beam. He kicked it aside and put his shoulder into the door. Inside was a young boy, transformed as a raccoon, cowering against a wall. Luruke scooped him up and ran towards a hole in the wall. Towards the outside. As he jumped, he transformed, emerging fully stepped, clutching the boy in his claws. He must have landed, or crashed. But that was the last thing he could remember before his vision darkened.

Mikal Kae
Location - Imperial City ====> Tavern
Form - Human
Speech - Common Language/Native Language

The only reason he came to the Imperial City was that one of his leads put him there, but like all the others, he came up with nothing. Well, he wouldn't leave completely empty handed. While in the city, he attended the emperor's speech in the Imperial Hall. The emperor was addressing the recent "problems" that the world was having. He called it a plague, and frankly, Mikal did to. Before he left his homeland in Byernheim he had taken notice to how many fighters the Order was losing to these hellish beasts. For all he knew, his target may have met the same fate that too many others did. Mikal felt the need to partake in this quest, but he had a mission. Once he had pursued his objective down every trail given to him, he ultimately decided that he would not find the missing member here and left the city.

His long walk on the country roads seemed to grow longer as the sun began to set. With night approaching, he had to find a place to rest his head. His venture down the road would bring him to a suitable location to rest. In the distance he spotted the lights of a tavern's lanterns. "Thank the gods" he mumbled in his native tongue. His feet were beginning to ache. As Mikal got closer to the tavern however, he could sense that things were not alright. For one, the screams of people fleeing it. The light he saw were actually flames. Another thing he noticed as he approached the tavern was what was attacking it. Through one of the shattered windows, Mikal spotted a couple of giant eight-legged beast that must of been causing the chaos. So these were the monsters the emperor spoke of? If Mikal was to be honest, he hated spiders. He didn't necessarily fear them, but he didn't not like them at all.

With swords drawn, he charged towards the entrance of the wrecked tavern. Once inside, he weaved past a woman archer and moved towards the first in need. His eyes set on a man who was being charged by one of the spiders. He had no doubt that these beasts' exoskeletons would be as tough as any armor made, but that didn't mean there weren't weak points. Mikal came at the beast from the side as it's eyes were set on the other man and took a slash at one of the joints of it's leg.
SilverFlight SilverFlight Onikmey Onikmey Dominaiscna Dominaiscna

Shikoba: Fully stepped: In a tree branch above the fighting.

Shikoba watched the scene below with intent, staring deep into the waves of darkness rolling over the frantic warriors. Below him was a dwindling fire, tended by the thieving fox not minutes earlier. He had watched her scuttle around, swiping small valuables in silence, not all that interested in the safety of everyone else's belongings. Had he been on time for the meeting, he might have been diving head first into the attack, but instead of arriving at the city, he chased a chipmunk around for a good two hours in an attempt to silence his grumbling stomach; so now, he sat in a tree and just watched the others do the fighting and the dying. Not that he wasn't planning on joining in.... eventually. Shikoba could hear his fathers lectures pulsate through his mind like his own heartbeat.

Don't go running into a fight. Never attack with out a plan. Every fight is decided before the first blow is delivered, and it starts right in here.

He could almost feel his fathers finger against his skull, pointing to what he called, Shikoba's bird brain. He remembered that day, and how he had gotten his tail feathers rustled by a nest of prairie dogs, sending Methotase into a fit of tear jerking laughter. Her face in his memory brought a warmth into his heart, then steel that settled over it. Whatever that darkness was, it was what had stolen her from him. Shikoba pushed off the branch and soared into the night, leaving several feathers to dance around his currents before twirling to the earth below.

Shikoba rushed high into the sky, at began to glide in circles, quickly taking mental notes of the frey, the tactical battle points. The darkness seemed to be surrounding the entire tavern, charging it like an army charged a fortress. The chaos around the outside was disorganized and panicked. He noticed a door way smashed open, lit up by a flaming.... spider? Was that what those things were? The fire was beginning to expand his field of view, the blazing light illuminating the battle. Shikoba flapped his wings hard, hovering and starring at the choke point: If he could take the spiders away from that area long enough, there was a chance that the fighters inside could evacuate.

Shikoba Spread his wings and screeched loud, his call echoing as his wings blotted out the light of the moon for just a minute. He tucked in his wings and dove, plummeting towards the skirmish at over 190 miles per hour. As he dove, he felt his form extend, until he wore his soul, crossing his arms over his chest and keeping his wings tucked so as to not lose any of his speed. Moments before he drilled into the earth, he spread his large speckled wings and flattened out, rocketing over the entrance and spraying all the darkness as he went with a flurry of throwing knives, sending a line of the spiders into tiny screams as several of the blades lodged themselves deep into eyes, joints and mouths. Shikoba pulled up back around to the entrance and began beating his wings at the blaze around, sending embers towards the hissing creatures, forcing them back further, allowing enough space for people to pour out of the tavern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back