• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Suggestion BBCode Suggestions and Feature Requests

Lyro

Errant Chronicler
If you have any specific BBCode-related features you would like to see implemented, please post them in this thread - I will be maintaining a list of the most-requested features. I can't guarantee I will implement all suggestions, but I will definitely keep them in mind whenever I make further additions.

Note that I am more likely to implement BBCode+ related feature requests than "normal" new BBCodes, but I am still open to suggestions.

New tags:
  • [animation=CLASS][keyframe=STEP]CSS[/keyframe][/animation] - Adds a custom animation to the specified BBCode+ class.

Changes to existing tags:
  • New pseudo-elements for classes (before, after, selection...).
  • min-width and max-width attributes for classes, in order to enable simple responsiveness.

New BBScript functions:
  • mul, div, neq, and other basic functions to allow for more operations.
  • getTime - Returns the current time as a timestamp.

Note: loop constructs will not be added to BBScript as the potential to cause a page freeze is too great.

If you have any specific BBCode-related features you would like to see implemented, please post them in this thread - I will be maintaining a list of the most-requested features. I can't guarantee I will implement all suggestions, but I will definitely keep them in mind whenever I make further additions.

Note that I am more likely to implement BBCode+ related feature requests than "normal" new BBCodes, but I am still open to suggestions.

New tags:
  • [animation=CLASS][keyframe=STEP]CSS[/keyframe][/animation] - Adds a custom animation to the specified BBCode+ class.

Changes to existing tags:
  • New pseudo-elements for classes (before, after, selection...).
  • min-width and max-width attributes for classes, in order to enable simple responsiveness.

New BBScript functions:
  • mul, div, neq, and other basic functions to allow for more operations.
  • getTime - Returns the current time as a timestamp.

Note: loop constructs will not be added to BBScript as the potential to cause a page freeze is too great.

really like these features.

Wait... so we have animations now?

*slams fists against floor* What have I been doing this whole time?!

oh, and something I've noticed on the back end of things, when previewing, the classes that were already loaded for the preview remain. It isn't really a problem, but after continually working on the same post for about an hour and continually pressing preview, it starts to slow down the browser. I've actually heard my laptop fans go into high gear.

Will you be updating the guide as you go?

Wait... so we have animations now?

*slams fists against floor* What have I been doing this whole time?!

oh, and something I've noticed on the back end of things, when previewing, the classes that were already loaded for the preview remain. It isn't really a problem, but after continually working on the same post for about an hour and continually pressing preview, it starts to slow down the browser. I've actually heard my laptop fans go into high gear.

Will you be updating the guide as you go?
No, no, animations aren't in yet. This is a list of features I would like to see implemented.

I am aware of the class issues, but not sure I can do much about it - it's tied to the way XenForo handles adding styles. I might try to find a way, though.

Yes, I will be updating the guide as I add new features.

Webkit scrollbar? ;3

Webkit scrollbar? ;3
I considered it but am reluctant to implement it, as there is no CSS equivalent for Firefox, and I don't want to encourage building codes for specific browsers. Browser-specific websites are something we really don't want to go back to (but which is unfortunately making a comeback with Google Chrome).

I considered it but am reluctant to implement it, as there is no CSS equivalent for Firefox, and I don't want to encourage building codes for specific browsers. Browser-specific websites are something we really don't want to go back to (but which is unfortunately making a comeback with Google Chrome).
i understand but i honestly don't like hidden scrollbars but it's a necessary evil. if you can figure it out that'll be great.

I have begun implementing some of these changes. However, I am now faced with a dilemma. I can either keep working on these features at a steady pace (coming soon: CSS animations, BBScript 2, responsive classes, perhaps even a way to persist user-submitted data), or buckle down and write some documentation. So I have two questions for everyone:

1. Would you rather see features first, extensive documentation second, or a gradual release with complete documentation at every release? In many cases, the code would be relatively self-explanatory, and I would always provide some basic documentation. However, since tutorials are not my forte, they would take a long time to write, and I'm not sure how many people would end up using the more advanced features anyway.
2. Would someone be willing to help me write more documentation? I would chat with that person regularly to explain any questions they might have, demonstrating code and so on, and they would write the actual documentation. This would considerably free up my time, but it is admittedly exploitative, so I'd like to know what you think.

BBScript 2 is already done, and will be released soon-ish. It features an evolved syntax that's similar to BBScript but more powerful, allowing for arrays, string manipulation, infinite function nesting, grouping functions for if, and a basic loop construct (I know I said I wouldn't do it, but here we are). Responsive classes are also done, letting you define a min and/or max width for which they trigger.

I have begun implementing some of these changes. However, I am now faced with a dilemma. I can either keep working on these features at a steady pace (coming soon: CSS animations, BBScript 2, responsive classes, perhaps even a way to persist user-submitted data), or buckle down and write some documentation. So I have two questions for everyone:

1. Would you rather see features first, extensive documentation second, or a gradual release with complete documentation at every release? In many cases, the code would be relatively self-explanatory, and I would always provide some basic documentation. However, since tutorials are not my forte, they would take a long time to write, and I'm not sure how many people would end up using the more advanced features anyway.
2. Would someone be willing to help me write more documentation? I would chat with that person regularly to explain any questions they might have, demonstrating code and so on, and they would write the actual documentation. This would considerably free up my time, but it is admittedly exploitative, so I'd like to know what you think.

BBScript 2 is already done, and will be released soon-ish. It features an evolved syntax that's similar to BBScript but more powerful, allowing for arrays, string manipulation, infinite function nesting, grouping functions for if, and a basic loop construct (I know I said I wouldn't do it, but here we are). Responsive classes are also done, letting you define a min and/or max width for which they trigger.

maybe 1 would be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back