• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

BBCode is Driving Me Crazy Today

FaithWynters

The Cuppycakecreep
Supporter
Hello all, I've stumbled upon my first little patch of BBCode blues and I need a little help. This question has probably been answered probably a million times, and if so, you can just link me to the answer.

I cannot figure out how to make these borders work how I want them to. This is the provided code within the guide.

Code:
[border=WIDTH STYLE COLOR]My Content[/border]

What I'm unsure about is: In what format I would include the width, style, and color. For instance: Do commas need to be added between width, style, and color? Does px need to be added with the width? Is there spaces? Ect. Ect. Ect. Multiple attempts to figure out the code have only resulted in the border around this text-if any at all.

The code I used to produce this was:

Code:
[border= 5, solid, blue] Blahblahblah[/border]

698716666775380259.gif

This is how it should be formatted :)

Code:
[border=5px Solid #33A1DE]text here[/border]

For Example:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, ei sea odio veritus mediocrem. Et mel viris appellantur. Eam etiam nostrud consulatu ad, quod postea no vim, te duo ceteros suscipiantur. Vix ludus latine eu. Cum id eius honestatis.

Ad erat aperiri conceptam eam, qui eu sale tractatos. Nam an tale congue suscipiantur, adipiscing efficiantur te mei. Pri cu diam autem integre, eam accumsan incorrupte ei, alii illum porro cu duo. Sed quando ubique ea. Simul tantas atomorum ei est. Ad est doming invidunt recteque, et duo duis facilis. Modo putant usu et.

Ad pri graeci complectitur, et vis nostrud luptatum, has te wisi interpretaris. Ea noster delenit fabellas nec, in sit tale dicta melius. His ne malis aliquip consulatu. Te sed quod ponderum percipitur, ei eum quando nonumy, at has hinc tantas. In quem quodsi nec.

Has ea invenire assueverit, corpora blandit at per, meis splendide conceptam ea qui. Eum animal perfecto ne, est agam sapientem at, ea mel enim vidit convenire. Mei agam quas ad. In novum utamur patrioque sed, his cu elit homero constituam.

Vis ei tantas eligendi, dolore scaevola philosophia mea et. Vel ut tota insolens qualisque, ei facilis lobortis vel. Ne eos aeque urbanitas. Eos legimus suscipiantur ex. No munere suscipit vix, nec no primis detracto disputationi, ad accusam senserit maiestatis pro.

The width should always be a whole number (no decimals), and followed by px. Solid is the default style, but if you look here, you can find more styles. Please note that some of these do not work.

While 'blue' would've worked for the color section, I find it easier and much more convinient to use Hex Codes. [Ex: #33A1DE]. They're most customizable in exactly what color you want. However, more named colors can be found here. I hope this answers your question!

This is a test to see if I'm competent enough to follow directions.

Awesome! You saved me from beating my head against a wall forever. Thank you so much for your help! Sometimes such simple things can confuse the hell out of me.

A little bit of a teaser: we may or may not have a few people working to revise the BBC guide.

It's outdated anyway, so hopefully things like that will be a little more clear in the future. c:

Also, I don't know if it was mentioned, but color names also work with border. So if you don't want to go through all the trouble of looking up the hexcodes, you can also type the color name.

For example, this code is

Code:
[border=3px dashed darkred][/border]

This isn't a BBCode question, but I believe I might make this just my questions in general post since you wonderful people helped me last time with ease. Very simple question that requires no explanation: What it the width of a thread in Pixels? I'm looking to add a graphic that will be the width of a thread exactly so everything lines up all nice and pretty. Also, if the .jpg is the exact size of the thread's width does anyone know if it will resize the image? I think this is might be determined by < or if its =< type thing which I have no clue about (or if that made any sense).

That depends on the dimensions of the screen that you're using.

There isn't really any set number of pixels and images will automatically resize to fit in the thread, so I think the best thing you could do is make sure the image is very wide and it's centered.

Does that make sense?

FaithWynters said:
This isn't a BBCode question, but I believe I might make this just my questions in general post since you wonderful people helped me last time with ease. Very simple question that requires no explanation: What it the width of a thread in Pixels? I'm looking to add a graphic that will be the width of a thread exactly so everything lines up all nice and pretty. Also, if the .jpg is the exact size of the thread's width does anyone know if it will resize the image? I think this is might be determined by < or if its =< type thing which I have no clue about (or if that made any sense).
Right click on the forum and select 'Inspect Element'. There will be a new frame that appears. This will give you a general idea as to how wide the thread is. Note: You must make sure the frame is not on the left or right side, but on the bottom. If it is on the sides, it affects the width of the forum. I usually use that number as a guideline, though it is much easier for me to make an image that is narrower and use the

[CENTER] tag.

[/CENTER]

Yeah. Totally. I didn't even think about resize for monitors. I just knew a 700 pixel width left a space that would look odd if had in an image later on in the thread.

Thanks so much, both of you!

I have returned with another question... It seems I'm finding more and more of these lately.

I was wondering if someone could explain to me why extra little snippets of code keep getting added when I don't add them. For example, I am doing a re-haul of my recruitment thread in an attempt to grasp BBCode a little better. At this point, I have changed the background of the whole thread, edited the color of the text for it to be seen, and done other little things to try and make everything a little more presentable.

When I write out the code (for background or font color for instance) I place the code at the top and the ending code at the bottom of the entire thread. It seems that there is always a few little strands of text that remain as they were before. It seems that when I save my place, the extra stuff gets added.

Code:
[/color][/color][/color][/color]

[center][color=#D8D8D8][color=#D8D8D8][color=#D8D8D8][color=#D8D8D8][img=https://41.media.tumblr.com/5b41227f25928007235039ccb4a13d2e/tumblr_nrlbur2IHM1r05sy1o4_r1_1280.jpg]
[font=Indie Flower][size=5]Just as a note: I only do OCs for fandoms!
These could even turn into small groups if everyone involved is interested, but for now, I'll keep them as OnexOne and if I have a lot of requests, we can PM about possibly making it a group. If you have any other video-game based worlds you might be interested in roleplaying, let me know![/size][/font]
[/color][/color][/color][/color][/center]

[color=#D8D8D8][color=#D8D8D8][color=#D8D8D8][color=#D8D8D8]
[img=https://41.media.tumblr.com/5a60cc5da8e0c4ce19eb1e1ca8124c22/tumblr_nrlbur2IHM1r05sy1o1_r1_75sq.jpg] [size=5]➳[/size]Somewhere Beyond The Sea [size=5]➳[/size] A man chooses; A slave obeys.

[spoiler][/color][/color][/color][/color]
[center][color=#D8D8D8][color=#D8D8D8][color=#D8D8D8][color=#D8D8D8]Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

This little snippet is in- almost- the dead middle of my huge thread. I know for a fact I did not add all the extra color codes in there. I type out my codes- even adding in the color codes in by hand-I would not have done this silliness.

Code:
[/color][/color][/color][/center]

[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler]

I know for a fact that I didn't add that many spoilers of nothing- which has now appeared two or three times in the thread.

It isn't just this thread either. I've noticed it when trying out the borders you guys helped me with to make a character sheet.

Any explanation would be great, because no matter how many times I delete the extra code, it always comes back.

Are you using the rich text-editor? That will mess up everything. Also, why are there three starting tags with the same color? Is that part of your error, or is that what you are typing?

Show me the entire coding and I will be able to help you more.

A lot of the time, this will happen because the coding is trying to close what I call "inception" coding. Placing spoilers within spoilers, backgrounds within backgrounds, and borders within borders. It's not limited to those specific elements of course. This can be reduced by not using the rich-text editor and saving your work on a separate word processor like Microsoft Word or Google Docs. I have never seen the coding duplicate the starting tags like I see with your color coding, so I can only assume that you placed them there. Try to avoid redundant and "inception" coding as much as possible. It is most likely not needed and there are other, more creative ways to go about things. Use your closing tags right away. If something ends with a specific color or font you want to use, place that closing tag!

The main origin of your problem though is the rich-text editor. Never copy work from the rich-text editor. Only paste. ( :) )

I was using rich text editor and it was the problem T_T' For fear of messing things up, I used the rich text editor...and messed things up.

The starting tags were not added by me (the extra color tags) which is why I was so confused about everything. I just need to go back through and clean everything up using the BBCode editor and never use the rich text again for code heavy threads and posts

Thank you so much for your help, and thanks again @CellarDoor for assistance elsewhere. You two have been such a help! I am forever grateful ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back