• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Resource BBCode Guidelines & FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

RpNation

I didn't want to go swimming anyway, baka!
Administrator
All BBCode is Creative Commons
All BBCode is and has always been Creative Commons. This includes all Codes by Staff and other site users.

This means that:
  1. You can copy any BBCode done by others on the site.
  2. You must give credit to the original work. The staff will take appropriate actions against users who try to pass off work as their own. We have rules against theft and plagiarism. If someone takes your BBCode without proper credit, make sure to report it!
  3. The Original Author cannot request that you take down the code. No one should share or post publicly any BBCode they don't want to be copied.
  4. BBCode works are for everyone.
This policy has been in place since BBcodes were introduced years ago and will continue to be in place as we continue to release more and more features and new bbcodes.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to post in Staff Contact.

FAQ
What is BBCode?
BBCode stands for Bulletin Board Code and is a type of coding language used to format posts on forums.

Is there a general BBCode guide I can read?
You can find the basic BBCode here.

How can I learn to code using BBCode?
There is no set standard path one takes when learning a coding language. It takes patience, time, and effort. Unlike other coding languages, basic BBCode isn't overly complex. If you want center something, you simply use the center BBCode tag.

Experiment with some of the basic BBCode and see what tags do what. You can also look at the codes offered by other members as a resource and look at what they've done as well.

You may also want to ask other BBCoders questions by posting a new thread with a "HELP" prefix for things you need assistance with (in the BBCode Center).

How do I do -insert code here-?
Firstly, before asking this question, you should always check to see if the code already exists in the BBCode Guide as well as the listed resources in this directory. Many commonly asked questions are easily answered by these resources.

If you still are unable to locate the answer, understand, or have continued issues with your code, then you should create a thread in the BBCode Center with the "HELP" prefix and patiently wait for a helpful member to respond.

How are they doing -insert advanced coding here-?
In reality, BBCode is a heavily simplified version of HTML/CSS so most of the advanced coding they are doing is incorporating the knowledge of HTML/CSS into their BBCode. Note that it isn't necessary to learn HTML/CSS to use BBCode, but it is helpful for more advanced styles.

How can I get Google Fonts to work?
This is a very common question and the answer can be found here in the BBCode Guide.

My code seems to be duplicating, why?
The default editor for posts is known as RTE. Sometimes when you edit a post with BBCode, the RTE will alter it, usually in a manner than ends up duplicating the code. It is highly suggested to turn off your RTE if you are using BBCode.

My code messed up the layout of the thread, how can I fix it?
If the thread is split into two columns for replies this generally means that you have not properly closed all BBCode tags. If you edit a post and this happens and you know which post likely has caused this issue, you just need to close the tags properly. If you are unsure how to fix the issue yourself, please use Staff Contact.

What is the RTE?
RTE stands for Rich Text Editor. It is a text editor that allows a person to see a "live" preview in the editor itself (for some things, such as built-in fonts, font color, etc).

How do I turn off the RTE?
You can easily swap back and forth between the RTE and the BBCode Editor; just click on the [] symbol! It will save this setting until you click it and swap it back.

What is plagiarism?
Plagiarism is taking the work (of any medium or media) of someone else and passing them off as your own.

Why can't we clip out sections of the embed player from Youtube?
This is not allowed due to Youtube's ToS.
Youtube's ToS (Terms of Service) clearly states;

"If you use the Embeddable Player on your website, you may not modify, build upon, or block any portion or functionality of the Embeddable Player, including but not limited to links back to the YouTube website."

Why is my complex BBCoding not working in my signature?
The more advanced BBCode tags are not permitted in signatures.

What exactly is etiquette?
Basically, etiquette is something like a social code of polite behavior. The Platinum Rule is a great example of this. Unlike the Golden Rule - which is basically to treat others how you wish to be treated - this rule is to treat others the way they want to be treated.

BBCode Etiquette
The purpose of this section is to encourage some etiquette when it comes to BBCodes. Before going any further, it is encouraged you take a moment to check out the official site rules.

All BBCode hosted on RpNation falls under Creative Commons; Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0). Users may use the codes of others as long as any required attribution to the original creator/content is applied. Users should not publicly post any codes they do not want or intend for other users to use.

Etiquette Code
  1. Give credit where credit is due.
    • If you are using codes that have been created by others, crediting the content creator is appropriate.
    • If the code already has credit, do not remove the credit.

2. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" isn't always true. Being inspired by a design is great, but taking the elements of that design replicating them and then claiming it as your own is still considered a form of plagiarism. If you're inspired by another user's code/design, be sure to mention them.

3. While BBCodes are under CC, which means you can use the code with attribution to the creator, some creators may be uneasy with others using their codes for various reasons. If a code isn't provided, sometimes it's polite to ask first.

4. Respect requests from original content creators. If they request to restore/add attribution to their code you are using, you need to comply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back