• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Avatar the last Airbender (Private)

Evy

Private role-play between Evy and ReyaMorningkill.

-----

The water flowed in a precise stream around the two people. It danced around them without touching them, neither the older man nor the young woman, whose arms were held out from her body and her palms moved back and forth. She let her hands fall down, and the water landed in a perfect circle around them.
“Very well, Nagawi, as usual” the man said with a trace of a smile in his light brown, wrinkled face. The young woman bent her head towards him as a thank you.
“Thank you, Master Gyatso. I wouldn’t have come this far without you” she said with a smile. She was dismissed and Master Gyatso slowly disappeared into the village behind them. Nagawi watched him until he was out of her sight. She turned around and put two fingers in her mouth. The whistle was long, but not very loud. After a few seconds, the sound of paws hitting the snow she stood on was heard. Nagawi looked to her side, and saw her big polar bear dog, Raksha, running towards her. The big, pink tounge was out and the white animal came to a halt in front of her.
“Hey Raksha, let’s go” Nagawi said and stoked her neck before getting up on her back smooth and easily. Raksha took two steps and came quickly up in a fast speed, making Nagawis long, curly black hair fly in the wind.

They didn’t ride for long, but long enough for the village to almost disappear in the horizon. They found themselves in a small forest that probably once had been green and alive, but considering the weather had now been dead for centuries. However, it was perfect for practicing in secret. Nagawi got off Raksha’s back and made a quick movement with her hand. A chair out of ice was created, and she sat down. It was better than sitting on the snow. Raksha laid down on the snow, and a deep sigh was heard. Nagawi’s green eyes moved around the forest, looking for movements. Nagawi was one of the most skilled of the few water benders in the village, if not the best. At least she thought so herself. Truth was that bending had come very easy for her, she had been a natural since birth. She loved everything about it; the breathing, the movements, the thoughts. Nagawi had read a lot about bending, practicing for herself since she was a child, before Master Gyatso had decided to train her. She was now nearly as good as him, which made her feel proud over herself, but she could always improve. She wasn’t a Master yet, but she hoped to achieve it very soon.

As she sat there, waiting for her friend to arrive, Nagawi started to think about what she always thought of when she was alone; to start a journey. She loved living in the village, but she wanted more. She wanted to see the world, to experience other parts of the world, not only the Northen water tribe. She had never been outside the North pole, and she truly wanted to go somewhere. However, with the raging war, it would not be possible. Especially since the rumours said that the Fire Nation was looking for the Avatar, which they thought to be a water bender. It would be dangerous to even mention being one, let alone being out in the world. She let out a sigh, and Raksha lifted her head to look at her, before she laid it down again. Nagawi looked around, waiting to see a figure between the trees.

Nagi could see the trees just ahead, her pace quickening with urgency. As she crested the hill she saw her very best friend and her friendly polarbear dog.

"Sorry for the wait, I was caught up with some train,I,g of my own." She gave a nervous smile as she moved to hug Nagawi. "Have you heard the rumors?" She paused for effect. "Zori said there have been fire nation ships claiming to of found the Avatar! Can you imagine Agawi? The Avatar! That means our training could be useful, we could help end the war!"

Raksha lifted her head again just seconds before Nagawi heard the steps of her friend. She looked between the trees, and saw the familiar face of Nagi. The girl walked quickly, as if she was in a hurry somewhere. Well, she was, considering she was late for their meeting. Nagawi didn’t care too much about it, however. She hugged her friend back, and listened to the news she told her. Found the Avatar? But if it was a water bender, they had to be here, on the North Pole. She frowned, and met her friend’s eyes.
“Did Zori say where the Fire Nation found the Avatar?” she asked and put her hand on Raksha’s head, who had stood up when Nagi arrived. If the rumours were true, Nagi had a point. They could definitely help stop the war, or at least try. She pulled her hand through her long curls and looked in the direction of the village. Their families and friends would never let them go, however. It was probably a suicide mission, but finding and helping the Avatar would be an adventure of a lifetime. Nagawi moved her hand, and the ice chair she had been sitting on melted and mixed with the snow on the ground.
“They might be wrong, it may not be a water bender. But it should be, considering they killed all of the Air Nomads” she said and bit her lip. She stroked Raksha’s head as she spoke, as if that would make her thoughts clearer.

"I think he said it was an airbender found in a water tribe and the south pole." Nagi could hardly contain herself as she reached out to pet Raksha. She moved her black locks from her face as she turned back towards Nagawi. "I wish we could find out if any of this was true. If the Avatar really did come back...if it really is an airbender...the last airbender at that....there just might be a chance of this war finally ending."

Nagi had slipped off in thought but the warm tongue of the polar bear dog snapped her out of her day dreaming. She was so excited about the 'news' ashehe had almost forgotten why they had come here. She nudged Nagawi, a warm smile on her face. "I know I can't do what you do Nagawi....cause you're amazing, but Icve got more control now! Look!" Nagi held out her hands and a shaky water hoop rose from the snow beneath their feet. The hoop was sturdy and danced for a moment before melding into a ball of liquid that slowly began to freeze. It fell to the ground with a heavy plop before melting away.

Nagawi nodded.
“Well, if they found the Avatar, it’s dangerous. He, or she, should not be in the grasp of the Fire Nation” she said and looked around, as if someone should have heard her. It was dangerous to talk ill about the Fire Nation, it was said that they had spies anywhere. Nagawi was pulled out of her own thoughts when Nagi showed her what she had been working on. As her friend concentrated on the bending, Nagawi looked at how she was standing, moving and focusing. When the ice ball hit the ground, Nagawi nodded.
“Well done”, she said with a smile, “but you still need to work on your movements”. Nagawi moved to the same position Nagi just had been standing in.
“If you move your hands like this”, she moved her hands slightly different than Nagi had just done, “the hoop won’t be as shaky” she said and a less shaky, identical hoop of water was created, froze, and fell to the ground.
“If your hands are more flexible and soft, you’ll gain better control of your bending” she said and smiled.
“But it was still great work” she added and nodded towards Nagi, “try it again”.

Nagi toom a determined breath and tried to relax, flexing the muscles in her hand as she placed her feet like Nagawi. With a few adjustments she was able to mimic the stance and creat a much more stable ring, though it still shook once or twice. A smile crossex her and Nagi allowed her excitemwnt to take over, the ring falling to the snow the moment she lost her concentration.

"Whoops!" Nervous laughter. "Guess I really need to concentrate better or what good will I be to the Avatar." Playful laughter this time as she took another deep breath and tired again. Nagi made five more attempts and with each one she got better.

Unlike Nagawi, Nagi's family had been forbidden to bend due to some unknown reason to her. She had hated it especially as she watched her best friend learning and excelling. The two had made a plan that Nagawi would learn and they would meet in this secret place to teach and learn.

Nagawi smiled.
“That was much better” she said and nodded. She moved on the snow without moving her feet when the ring fell to the ground to avoid the splattering water. It was a faster, and funnier, way of moving when there were snow.
“Yeah, concentration is key. I bet you’ll be a great asset to the Avatar when you get the hang of it” she said and looked at her friend. They had been practicing for a while, and Nagi had shown great progress. However, her parents weren’t aware of their daughter’s ability. Nagawis parents were both water benders, and were very happy with their only daughters success.

Nagawi watched Nagi create more and more hoops, and she got better every time. She looked at her watch.
“I think we need to head back, they’ll wonder where we are. But you’ve been doing great today” she said and looked at Nagi. Nagawi was sure that her friend would evolve even more as a bender if they could go on an adventure together. That was probably unlikely to happen, because Master Gyatso needed to give permission first.

Nagi's face contorted in diapointment. She could truly bend for hours if she was allowed byt Nagi's oarents didn't even know she was able to bend. They had never been fond of bender, neither of them being one themselves. Nagi's parents blamed the war on the benders, claiming that if it werent for bender the war would of never happened. Because of their views Nagi and her family lived on the outskirts of town. Nagi felt constantly isolated because the only one who even knew she was a water bender was Nagawi. Her very best friend in the world.

"Nagawi..." She trailed off as tears welled in her eyes. "Promise me if you ever leave....you'll take me with you."

Nagi was suddenly terrified to lose her for what if the Avatar had truly returned? Wouldn't he need strong benders to help him fight the fire nation? Her tribe didnt even know that she could bend so what good would she appear to be to the Avatar? Nagawi was the only one who knew the real her, the only one she could be herself around. Mostly herself...

"We might be able to meet tonight, after the sundown" Nagawi said with a smile when she saw the disappointed expression in her friends face. She looked up in the sky, thinking of what day it was. The full moon wouldn't appear until two more days. It was said that water benders got more powerful during the full moon, something that was very true in Nagawis case. So much that she had actually been scared of her own bending. She never bended (bent?) during the day or night of the full moon because of it, mostly to keep her secret to herself, and only herself. Sometimes she had went out in the woods to try it out alone, but she was still scared that something would happen. She nodded towards Nagi with a smile.
"If that were to ever happen, I'll take you with me" she promised and looked her friend in the eyes.

"Let's go" she said, and started to walk back to the village. Raksha walked next to her, and Nagawi kept her hand on the white, fluffy neck. As the village appeared in the horizon, so did a figure in front of it. As they got closer, Nagawi saw that it was Master Gyatso. He stood perfectly still, and with a smile on his lips.
"Nagawi" he greeted her, and looked over at Nagi,
"and Nagi" he continued. Nagawi bent her head quickly in respect, and Master Gyatso met her eyes.
"Nagawi. It is time for you to put your practice and powers to use. We need you to find and make sure the Avatar is safe, the Fire Nation is said to have found him" Master Gyatso said, and Nagawi wasn't sure she had heard correctly. Was he offering her an adventure?
"I want you to think about it, and also carefully choose who you want to join you on the journey. We need an answer by tonight" the older man continued and nodded. Nagawi cleared her throat.
"I will think about it, Master" she said with a surprisingly steady voice, considering the storm that was going on inside of her. This couldn't be for real. Master Gyatso nodded and turned around, leaving the two women alone.

Nagi bowed respectfully to Master Gyatso but felt as though the old man could care little about her. As she heard him speak to Nagawi her voice caught in her throat. Was this really happening? Nagi suddenly had trouble containing her excitement but Nagawi's final words to her master made her nervous. Nagawi had promised just before they had begun to head back that if an opportunity like this arose that she would take Nagi with her and now...the opportunity had presented itself. Nagi waited for Master Gyatso to leave before she began, her voice nervous but excited.

"Was that real? Did they really find the Avatar? I mean....is it possible? All we've ever wanted...just...just waiting for us now..." Nagi looked over the horizon into the ocean. She had always wanted to see what was past this vast and wide sheet of blue and perhaps it was possible that she just might.

Nagawi turned to Nagi, with her palms against her temples.
"I can't believe this" she said with a laugh. She squirmed, and accidentally created a platform of ice under her, lifting her up. She laughed, and shook her head.
"I can't even control myself, this is insane" she said and moved her right foot to make the platform sink into the ground. She looked at Nagi.
"I want you to be my partner in this, no one else will be able to do it better" she said and smiled.
"And what better lessons are there than the ones in the real world?" she added and put a hand on Raksha's head again. She hoped that Nagi would say yes, and that Master Gyatso would approve of her choice of companion. She had a feeling it wouldn't be the one he had in mind, but he would hopefully trust Nagawi's sense on this.

Nagi was elated and all her fears washed away when Nagawi asked Nagi to come with her. Tears welled in her eyes as she grabbed her friend and held her in a tight embrace. "Of COURSE I'll come with you." Nagi was filled with excitement much like Nagawi, the thrill of an adventure more exciting then NAgi could of ever imagined. "I hope Master Gyatso approves...he might want you to go with another bender..." She trailed off for a moment in her sudden fear of being left behind because she wasn't good enough.

Nagi took a deep breath and tried to be positive. IF she was able to go she could freely hone her bending skills and with Nagawi as her teacher and her own determination Nagi felt she could be far more useful than anyone expected. Perhaps once she had a better handle on her regular bending she could practice the secret and forbidden bending she had recently figured out how to use. IT was truly by accident that she learned of her ability to do such a forbidden form of bending even more so when she realized it hadn't been a full moon. The full moon. That was in a few days wasn't it?

Nagawi nodded. She looked towards the village.
"I'll go and speak with Master Gyatso. I'll meet you at your home when we're done" she said with a smile. She got up on Raksha's back and looked down at Nagi.
"I'll see you soon!" she said and Raksha started to move quickly towards the village. They went through the village, and stopped when they were infront of the house which belonged to Master Gyatso. Nagawi swallowed as she got off Raksha's back, and took a deep breath. She knocked on the door, and Master Gyatso opened it and invited her in.
"So, have you already made up your mind?" he asked, and Nagawi nodded.
"Yes, Master. I want to go on this journey, and I want Nagi to go with me" she said and Master Gyatso raised an eyebrow. He was surprised, just as Nagawi had thought.
"Nagi, the non-bending water bender" he said, and Nagawi nodded.
"She is more talented than her parents say. I believe this journey can change her in a positive way" she said, and Master Gyatso nodded.
"Well. You are the most talented water bender I have seen in my days, and I trust your sense about this journey. I want you to be careful during the full moon, there might not be woods out there" he said and Nagawi looked surprised at him, and he smiled.
"I've been watching you during the full moon. I know you're capable of things we shouldn't speak of even when the full moon isn't present, which is rare, and that they are more powerful during it" he said and smiled.
"I trust you. Good luck" he said and Nagawi nodded as he walked her out the door. She got up on Raksha's back to tell her parents the news. They took it very easily, and got excited for their daughter. After the visit, she rode to Nagi's house, and knocked on the door.

Nagi almost dreaded going home in that moment, fear that suddenly her parents wouldn't let her go washed over her. She tried to shake the bad thoughts from her mind as she eventually came to her house on the outskirts of town. She was greeted warmly but at he uneasiness her mother asked her what had been troubling her, her father stern faced sitting at the table and offering for her to take a seat beside him.

"Nagawi was offered an opportunity to go find the Avatar. She wants me to go with her with Master Gyatso's blessing."

Her fathers face contorted disaprovingly as her mother's mouth fell open. "Well good for her but Nagi my dear what good are you to the Avatar? You have no bedning abilities and the last thing I want is you unprotected out in the world during war."

Frustration began to build in Nagi suddenly. "I can be useful to the Avatar and to Nagawi."

Her father slammed his fist on the table, startling her. "You will be in constant danger and Nagawi won't always be able to save you. You're better off here with us."

Nagi felt as angry as a hogmonkey. "I can handle it. Please......just let me go." Tears began well in her eyes in her moment of passion and before anything else could be said there was a knock at the door

The door was opened by Nagis mother, and Nagawi looked in the house. She found Nagi and her father in the living room. Considering how they were standing, and the facial expression of them both, Nagi's request hadn't been taken lightly. Nagawi cleared her throat.
"Um, Mr. (lastname?). I have been offered to go on a journey to find the Avatar, and I would like for Nagi to go with me. I believe that she could be a true asset to my journey, and Mr Gyatso believes that, too" she said and looked at the man, that frankly scared her a bit. She knew that he blamed the benders for the war, which meant that he blamed her, and his daughter, too.

Mr. Morningkill huffed and laughed at Nagawi. "Well thank the moon you're going to find the Avatar, less of you troublesome benders here to cause problems."

"Father stop it..."

"I think you and that bending teacher are full of crap. What good would she even be to you? There's nothing special about her....Nagi isn't a bender. What you going to drag her along as an ostrichhorse? Make her carry everything for you? Cook your meals? And who knows what else?"

"Father please..."

" I SAID NO! You're not going on some crazy journey to find a bender who is the reason for this war to begin with. ABSOLITELY NOT NAGI!!"

In that moment something happened that no one had expected. Jud Morningkill seemed to freeze on that moment his body slightly lifting from the floor, his eyes searching around frantically. He felt as though something was controlling his body, his eyes falling on Nagawi with both fear and anger. "Na-Nagawi.....l-l-l-l-let....me go."

Alice Morningkill charged at Nagawi, turning the girl around to her and smacking her in the face. "You let him go right this in-..."

Alice then too became frozen, her hands still on Nagawi for a moment before Alice's limbs were jerked away from her. Both of Nagi's parents seemed to float towards Nagi who had her head hung low, mumbling indistinctly before slowly reaching her gaze to meet them "This isn't Nagawi...it's me...I'm a bender. I'm going on this trip....you can't stop me you can't break me down anymore... I WON'T LET YOU!" Nagi felt so much rage in that moment, each of her parents seemingly having trouble breathing as pain coarsed through their bodies. Nagi didn't intend to hurt them but in her anger she didn't realize how hard she was bending the blood in their bodies. A new fear suddenly rose in NAgi and she felt desperate as she turned to Nagawi with terror in her eyes. "NAgawi... I'm so sorry....please.....please don't leave me here....I didn't mean to....to...blood bend them. I just....I can't let them do this to me anymore...I can't be left here without you."

Nagawi was just about to say something, when the father got stiff, and looked at her. The mother charged towards her, and Nagawi was just about to do something when she was slapped in the face. The pain shot through her brain and she felt how the blood flowed to her cheek. The mother got as stiff as the father, and Nagawi looked at her.
"I'm not doing any-" she stopped mid-sentence, and looked at Nagi. She was blood bending. Nagawi took her friend's wrist and pulled her out of the house.
"Come on" she said, and pulled her up on Raksha's back.
"Raksha, I need you to go as fast as you can" Nagawi whispered and the polar bear listened. They headed towards the harbor, where Master Gyatso had released a boat for them to take to nearest main land. Raksha took a leap and jumped on it, and Nagawi started the boat, just like her father had taught her, being a fisherman and all. She looked back towards the village, and then on Nagi.
"Tell me everything" she said, and put a hand on her friend's shoulder.

Nagi felt herself being pulled from the house and in desperation she made one final motion forcing both of her parents to fall unconscious to the floor. Panic suddenly set in as she felt herself being pulled onto Raksha's back and though she watched them run through the village and Raksha jump onto the boat Nagi had mentally been somewhere else. It wasn't until Nagawi had placed a hand on her shoulder that Nagi snapped out of her haze. Everything? Did she truly mean everything?

"I had never really thought I was special. Sure I was a water bender but I've never been good at it and my parents they didn't even know..." She paused as she thought of what they would do now considering they had learned Nagi was a blood bender. "Shortly after you started teaching me I noticed I was able to...bend certain things. Looking back on my childhood I realize now that I have always been more tuned into the blood bending than actually water bending. Do you remember when we were about 8 or so...that boy that was picking on you? When I saw him doing it I just got so mad...I wished he'd just punch himself in the face and go away, Then he acted like he was going to hit you before freaking out and running off? I'm sure I....I bent him...if that's even the proper term for it. I couldn't place it before I got older...but when I blood bend it's the same sort of sensation. I started practicing even after you and I started lessons because it was something I could do without my parents noticing. I got kind of good at it..." She trailed off and took a breath, the crisp air almost hurting as she took it in. "When I first found out it was forbidden to blood bend I was so upset because I thought blood bending was the only thing I was good at. But then who would suspect me of blood bending if they didn't even know I could bend at all? I thought maybe there was some cosmic reason why I was so good at it...and if we're going to find the Avatar maybe that's it. I just...Please don't hate me or be afraid of me. I'd never blood bend you!"

Nagawi listened to Nagis story. She remembered the boy teasing her when they were younger, but she had never thought about what happened to him. She nodded when Nagi finished.
"I know you would never blood bend me. You're not alone in this, I promise. You need to gain control over your powers" she said and smiled. As if she was to talk about control over powers. Hypocrite.
"I can help you" she said and nodded towards Raksha. She held out a hand, and Raksha's paw was unwillingly lifted into the air. Raksha grunted and blew a warm wind of breath towards them. Nagawi shook her head.
"Sorry Raksha, I had to" she said and the big polar bear put her head in her lap. She looked over at Nagi.
"As I said, you're not alone" she said, and met Nagis eyes.

Nagi was more than relieved that Nagawi didn't think she was vile now that she was aware she could blood bend. Her friends words only furthered her glee and helped to calm her troubled mind but her mouth nearly fell through the bottom of the boat when she saw that Nagawi too could blood bend.

"Wow! Is there anything you can't do Nagawi? You're so amazing! How did I ever get so lucky to have you as my best friend? And who better to go on an adventure with then my very best friend in all the kingdoms? Thank you so much Nagawi, I truly don't think I'll ever be able to repay you."

Nagi wrapped her arms around Nagawi and squuezed her tightly. Nagawi had always been there for her and even in her darkest moment, in the most unforeseen circumstance here she was, right by Nagi's side. She truly could not ask or wish for a better, more loyal friend.

"So where are we headed Master water bender Nagawi?" She giggled playfully, though it was a real question.

Nagawi regretted that she had showed Nagi what she could do the moment she saw her reaction. Amazing? Nagi would not see her in that light when she discovered what happened during the day, and especially the night, of the full moon. Nagawi hated it, and it would be tomorrow already. She had to figure something out to keep herself from bending, which would be hard.
"Of course I would take you with me" she said with a forced smile, "can you imagine me here with someone like Tyler? God, that would be unbearable. He is such a know-it-all, and he are always trying to show off instead of learn. I can't understand why Master Gyatso hasn't seen your potential yet and taken you under his wing" she said and leaned towards the edge of the boat. Well, she knew why, Master Gyatso always needed the permission of the parents first, which he clearly hadn't gotten from Nagi's parents.

Nagawi laughed and stood up.
"Please, I'm far away from being a Master" she said and shook her head.
"We're on our way to the Earth Kingdom, I believe it is the safest place right now. There, we can buy stuff and make a plan where to go next" she said and walked over to the end of the boat. She moved into her bending-position, and took a deep breath. Nagawi practiced for at least two hours for herself everyday, and she had done it for as long as she could remember. Her parents always said that she had 22 hours in a day, since she never missed her two daily bendning hours.
"I think there is a map in the cabin, or at least I hope so" she said and laughed.

Nagi moved to the cabin to inspect the map, it was something she had gotten good at reading. IT seemed they were on the right course thus far and Nagi had heard rumors that the Earth Kingdom took in refugees that had been affected by the Fire nation. She moved from the cabin and watched Nagawi for a short while before she tried to imitate Nagawi's movements. She needed the practice for sure, especially if she planned on being of any use to the Avatar and her best friend in the whole world. As benders go Nagawi was at a very, very basic level for water bending.

She tried and failed a motion but she stepped back and attempted it again. And again. And again. She was becoming frustrated but her determination was far greater for perhaps if she could learn to water bend better she could be better at blood bending as well.

Nagawi glanced back and saw how Nagi tried to imitate her movements. She wanted to help, but told herself that this practice was for her, not Nagi. She moved around and felt the freedom she always felt when she bended. She closed her eyes and breathed the air, felt the water that was present everywhere. She took a deep breath, moved her hand quickly and opened her eyes. Nothing. She sighed. Nagawi had tried to bend the water from the air for ages now, or at least it felt like that. She had been struggling for a few months. Master Gyatso always said to be patient, but it was hard. Nagawi closed her eyes and tried again, but nothing happened. The rest of the second hour was spent trying again and again. When she decided to quit for the day, she felt like she had come a little bit closer at least. She turned to Nagi.
"I think I'm going to bed, it's starting to be late" she said and looked at the sun, which were on its way down the horizon.

Nagi gave a nod and stopped for a moment. "I'll take the first shift then....try to keep us on track for Ba Sing Se." Nagi paused for a moment. "Besides...I could use the practice." She gave a nervous laugh and waved Nagawi off as she watched the sun set. Nagi went back into her stance and attempted to bend and for a moment it worked beautifully before dropping on the deck of the boat and splashing up on her. Small leg adjustment. She tried again and it seemed that she had better control this time but it still only lasted for a short while.

Once the darkness had set in heavily Nagi moved into lean against the side of the boat, checking their course before bending a small ball of water in her palm. This small amount seemed much easier for her to control more fluidly. She was able to make shapes, freeze and unfreeze it with minimal effort but the victory seemed small, quite like her plum sized ball of water. Frustration once more crossed over her and Nagi attempted to bend water the size of an apple. At first the task was filled with nothing but frustration and silent cursing but five hours later she had finally gained control.

Nagi intended on getting Nagawi soon so that she could get a little sleep herself before they reached the Earth Kingdom.

Nagawi nodded and went down to the cabin. She lied down in the bed and tried to sleep, but couldn't. She could just think of tomorrow, the bending-free day of hers. It wouldn't be easy, but she hoped that she could figure something out to tell Nagi. After a while, she fell asleep. She woke again, surprised that Nagi hadn't woken her. She stood up, and went up the stairs.
"Hey, you need to get some rest too" she said with a smile, "I'll take over from now, and I'll wake you when we're there".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back