• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Auto Coding?

voracity

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Why is it that when you copy and paste - say from your workshop over to the actual thread - a lot of things, unnecessary things, are added into the original code?

Like I'll have an accordion for example, perfectly formatted, and when I paste it suddenly there's a random [/accordion] in between the slides and it just completely messed up the entire accordion altogether.

Or when we have a long line say centerblock, border, bg, border you flip between rich code and regular text too many times, or you preview it too many times and suddenly you have like 3 lines of just centerblock, border, bg, border, and then every paragraph you've typed has /centerblock, /border, /bg, /border.

What exactly triggers it to just duplicate, or completely mess it all up? Is it because I double tap enter for paragraphs? Or is this an automatic thing that happens regularly?

Are you posting it into the rich text editor, that could be you problem. Rich Text Editor like to add unnecessary tags to the coding, trying just using the BBCode Editor which is the little wrench on the Text Box.

[QUOTE="CJ Mason]Are you posting it into the rich text editor, that could be you problem. Rich Text Editor like to add unnecessary tags to the coding, trying just using the BBCode Editor which is the little wrench on the Text Box.

[/QUOTE]
Ooh. I see.

Pasting it into the code editor won't have it randomly adding stuff onto itself, then? [Thanks for the help!]

The BBcode editor doesn't add anything the way the rich text editor does. The rich text editor likes to be "helpful," the BBcode editor assumes you know what you're doing and leaves it be.

Sorry for bringing back something that's like two days old, but BBcode editor is starting to add things on it's own and messing up some big project I'm doing with other people.

Goodbye.

The BBCode Editor shouldn't be adding anything from what I'm aware of. Are you sure your not in the Rich Text Editor?

[QUOTE="S N O W B I R D]Sorry for bringing back something that's like two days old, but BBcode editor is starting to add things on it's own and messing up some big project I'm doing with other people.
Goodbye.

[/QUOTE]
If you are trying to edit your work with the rich text editor, then you will start to see extra coding added to your work. Never copy any work you have saved from a post made in the forum. Once the work is saved, the rich text editor has already made its mark. Always work from a word processor like Microsoft Word or Google Docs. This way you have a copy that hasn't been touched by the rich text editor and it makes it much easier for larger projects.

This is actually incredibly annoying. If I want to edit a minor thing on one of my posts with more complex coding, I have to edit it in a text editor (be it notepad or Microsoft Word), copy my entire changes over my old coding completely, or suffer from the editions made by the rich text editor. This is primarily, in my case, copies of [border]s, [bg]s. [centerblocks]s and of course dozens of [I]'s. Sometimes I even forget that it happens, and I do it anyway... then spend 20-30 minutes fixing it.[/I]

I wish I could just keep it in bbcode editor. Like, disable rich text editor. Even now, I'm passively typing in bbcodes despite being in the rich text editor, so I don't need to go back and highlight any text to code it.

[QUOTE="The Architect]This is actually incredibly annoying. If I want to edit a minor thing on one of my posts with more complex coding, I have to edit it in a text editor (be it notepad or Microsoft Word), copy my entire changes over my old coding completely, or suffer from the editions made by the rich text editor. This is primarily, in my case, copies of [border]s, [bg]s. [centerblocks]s and of course dozens of [I]'s. Sometimes I even forget that it happens, and I do it anyway... then spend 20-30 minutes fixing it.[/I]
I wish I could just keep it in bbcode editor. Like, disable rich text editor. Even now, I'm passively typing in bbcodes despite being in the rich text editor, so I don't need to go back and highlight any text to code it.

[/QUOTE]
You can do as Cirno suggested. Turn off the rich text editor and it shouldn't screw around with your coding as much.

@The Architect: Go into Preferences (on a PC, hover over your avatar in the top right, then click "Preferences" from the dropdown to get a popup box with the Preferences settings). Under the Options heading, uncheck the box for "Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages". That will keep you in bbcode editor.

After a few days of working with the new preference, the difference is astounding. No longer do I fear minor edits or tweaks to try and perfect my posts as I see fit. Thank you so very, very much.

Glad it's working out for you (^.^) Do please let us know if you run across any other problems!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back