• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom AtLA: Book of Harmony [Closed]

Lucyfer

Said you'd die for me, well -- there's the ground
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
It had been a long three years.

While Fire Lord Zuko had reclaimed his home and his heritage, as evidenced in the black topknot and golden flame that rested upon his head, he had not reclaimed sleep or peace in the same fashion. ‘What I wouldn’t do for a cup of calming tea.’ The thought came with some humor as he took a seat in the train’s private carriage that would be leaving Ba Sing Se and heading west towards the colonies in the Hu Xin province.

A negotiation about the fate of these colonies was long overdue. The land belonged to the Earth Kingdom, but there was still a significant Fire Nation presence among its people. While Zuko was doing much to rectify the mistakes his father, grandfather, and great-grandfather had made, he still could not simply uproot people on a moment’s notice.

It had to be gradual and something that wouldn’t also end in an economic devastation for the Earth Kingdom.

Which was why he was going along with Lifen, a woman he’d met in passing a few times in previous negotiations and talks with King Kuei. Those hadn’t always gotten far; threats of sending troops to the colonies was something Kuei liked to suggest as a quick alternative.

Thankfully, Aang had talked him down, and talked them into looking into things first, before making rash and violent decisions. ‘Maybe I should have just sent Iroh.’ No, Iroh well deserved his rest from all of this. This was the burden that Zuko had to shoulder…alone. No mother, no father, no sister – no uncle.

He looked up as he heard the doors to the carriage open, and put on a weary smile before rising back to his feet as he recognized the face – or, really, the hairstyle with the flowers. He wondered if she would wear that kind of style the whole time they were on this endeavor, but he wouldn’t ask.

Though, she’d have to find a lot of new flowers, if so.

‘Speak for yourself.’

He supposed his own attire might be considered a bit much – he wasn’t in anything lightweight, but his own formal garb which still retained aspects of what the Fire Nation had been in the shoulders, armored and pointed upwards a bit as they were, and the heavy robes. It certainly made him look significantly broader built than he was, even if much of it was black.

Not as slimming as some said.

“It’s good to see you, Ambassador,” he greeted, gesturing to welcome her into the carriage with his right hand, signifying the bench in front of him. “I hope your own journey was well?”

He knew she had left from those provinces to have her own meeting with the Earth Kingdom, which was why he was meeting her in Ba Sing Se, rather than right within the provinces. Zuko didn’t think this was bad – he could get caught up on things on the way, as well.

~***~

The provinces of Hu Xin were fascinating to Citra.

Although the young Sun Warrior could see the culture was majority Fire Nation, she could also see the influences of the Earth Kingdom, and the way it all blended was immensely intriguing. There were even lovers between the nations, although they seemed to be going about it in secret. These secrets, revealed the tensions that remained.

People still wore what they were, and showed it in ways. It was obvious to any who looked, despite Citra’s green eyes, that she was of the Fire Nation. She wore a red dress with gold accents as she sat on the porch of a woman in a green tunic with a brown skirt – obviously Earth Kingdom.

People still held to their loyalties, and there were reasons for it.

There was still a hierarchy of sorts, where Fire Nation citizens were at the top, and the Earth Kingdom citizens were lesser. Yet, there was mobility, fluidity, and mixing – as Citra was currently learning as she spoke with Yu, of the Earth Kingdom, who explained a bit about their culture of dance and music, and how she’d noticed it change over the years.

“Whenever anyone new from the Fire Nation would show up, they would always try to enforce rules against dancing,” the woman said, adding with a wink, “but inevitably they’d host parties and allow it, anyways.”

Citra shared in the conspiratorial smile as she jotted down her notes, learning about how fewer and fewer Fire Nation citizens ever came to stay in the colonies, and how the position of the leader became more of a family one, rather than switching out every few years. That inheritance made it easier for them to live more freely.

The conversation did come to its natural conclusion, a bit of chatter occurring afterwards on Yu’s porch while the ink dried.

“Well, I should get this back with the others,” Citra was saying, once the ink had dried and she was able to roll the scroll back up, “It was nice to meet you, Yu!”

“And a delight to meet you, Cee! I hope this will help you out.”

She nodded, “It will,” she folded the scroll under her arm and inclined her head, “Take care!” She turned from the porch to get on her way back to the hotel she was staying at. Thankfully, she had money for that sort of thing, though she was going to have to figure out an actual job at some point; this writing gig wasn’t paying her anything, but it was necessary. She had to maintain records to return back home, and she still had to wait for her companion to come through to take what she had already.

She couldn’t really send a traditional courier to a long-lost civilization.

Her chipper expression faltered some steps away from Yu’s home, and she sighed, contemplating the reality ahead of her that demanded money.

Attempting to hide her anxiousness and worries Lifen smiled, bowing to man, "It's good to see you as well, your majesty." Taking the seat across from him she loosened the iron grip she held on her fan. 'I'm an ambassador now, not some girl from the lower girl. I can't seem uptight!' Politely she gave a small nod, "As well as it can go when traveling to try and resolve a conflict."

She couldn't find it in herself to form a joke to ease herself, not when this weight as heavy on her mind as the layers of her clothes weighted on her.

Lifen found them both to be overdressed for the mission. But, she knew the positions they held, and what was expected. Even if it was far too much for her liking.

"But besides this mess of a situation, how was your journey?"

Keeping up this act of being a sophisticated lady was draining, until now she was accustomed to casual conversations, they relaxing kind that didn't require her to always think of her choice of words. 'Careful with your wording, you're speaking to the Fire Lord of all people Lifen!' mentally she scolded herself for sleeping into informal and improper speech.

The journey back to the province would be a long one.

~***~

With a grumble of dissatisfaction the former Fire Nation Princess made her way into town. The burgundy cloak she sported hid her face well as she aimlessly walked.

Azula had only come here for one reason, the on going conflict between the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom residence. Grinning to herself she imagined the sheer chaos such a conflict could bring. Especially with Fire Nation citizens upholding old laws her brother had done away with after ascending to the throne.

Zuko. The thought of him wiped the grin from her face and replaced it with a deep scowl.

It was only a matter of time before he would be there to end the matter civilly. 'There is not time to worry about my idiot brother. I need a plan, I have to find out who exactly is causing the unrest and gain their trust.' She thought to herself.

The only flaw in her plan was her lack of knowledge of the provinces. Azula didn't know who was truly in charge. Without henchmen doing the grunt work it was much harder for her to do things, sometimes she wished she instilled more fear into her former friends; if she could even call them that.

But, that was history now. Azula clutched a small pouch of coins in her hand. She no longer had the luxury of nobility, the pouch of coins was all she had left after fleeing the palace last time.

'There must be somewhere to stay in this colony.'

Observing the area she spotted an older woman making her way towards Azula in the bustling street. Older people were much easier to trick, she would take her chances.

Pushing though the crowd to meet with the woman she pulled off her hood, twisting her face to resemble a scared woman. "Excuse me..! Excuse me, Miss..!" Azula called out gaining the woman's attention. The old woman stooped waiting for Azula to catch up with her. "Do you need something, dear?" She asked cautiously, noticing how torn and ragged Azula looked.

"Yes, could you please tell me if there is anywhere to stay? You see, I've been traveling for so long, I'm exhausted and in need of a bed for the night and a warm meal." The sob story was only partly true. The grumbling of her stomach was manageable, but her pride refused to lose to her growing fatigue.

The woman gasped, worried for the seemingly impoverished traveler before her. "My, my, you look so tired. Come with me, I'll show you where the hotel is. A nice young lady like yourself shouldn't be traveling all alone." Taking her hand she led Azula to the hotel, expressing her worries for the ragged Princess as they walked.

Just as she planned, the lie worked. In no time she would have a place to regroup and strategize, for the night at least.

As Lifen took her seat, Zuko also resumed his, folding his hands on his lap and trying not to be too stiff, and failing. Rigidity was still taught into him for these things, and it wasn’t as if Aang was a good teacher on how to be both regal and casual. Aang was always too casual; Zuko was certain if Aang wasn’t the Avatar, he wouldn’t find himself in so many high positions in the world with his attitude.

Zuko didn’t have that kind of luxury.

Lifen’s words didn’t exactly help to put him at ease, either. The situation was at the forefront of her mind, it seemed. As it should be, they were on the forefront of his own mind. That this had continued so many years after the war was a problem, and he knew it wasn’t likely to be easy to end, either.

Lives were entwined.

“Ignoring the mess of a situation, my own journey was fine,” he said. No assassination attempts, no weird visitors, just the arrival to Ba Sing Se where they all made it fairly clear he still wasn’t exactly a welcomed guest, and then onto the train. He was used to feeling outcasted by those around him, so Ba Sing Se’s mood hadn’t shocked him.

He had helped to bring it down, in the end.

“I am concerned about the situation in the province, though,” he allowed that to help transition from the mundane. He just got the sense small talk shouldn’t dominate the conversation right now, “I heard that you were in them recently. Is there anything you can tell me about what’s going on? I’ve only heard rumors and received a few letters.” What he knew wasn’t the personal situation.

Those of the Fire Nation could be exaggerating things.

Even those of the Earth Kingdom could be; he just knew it sounded like a war might break out.

~***~

The hotel was bustling with activity discernible even from outside. ‘Oh, right.’ Citra had nearly forgotten that today was the arrival of Prince Zuko – well, King Zuko, rather, she supposed. One of those they were considering for a dragon, like his uncle Iroh, who had spared the two dragons. Not that he would have survived if he tried.

He had a whole group of Sun Warriors who were willing to die to protect it.

Stepping in to the hotel, she did notice an older woman and a younger one, and caught bits of the conversation – something about the hotel being full – before she heard her own name called.

“Cee! …Cee!” It had taken her a moment for it to register, and then she paused on her way towards the hall, took another look at the woman in red, smiled and came over to her. She couldn’t for the life of her recall the woman’s name, but she’d spoken to her. Not yet in an interview, but they’d had some good conversations all the same.

“What’s wrong?” It was obvious in her tone that something was amiss, and the older woman gestured to the younger one with her, dark hair and amber eyes denoting her as a more proper Fire Nation citizen.

“He’s saying the hotel’s full,” she said, as if accusing the man behind the counter would get her anywhere, “I guess we have an entourage of royals who aren’t even here yet, so he can’t spare a single room for her!”

“I’m sorry, miss, they have reserved—”

A huff. He went silent, sighing in defeat with the thought he’d have to deal with this for hours, on top of the headache of preparing things for royalty.

“Oh, um,” Citra looked at the younger woman, not sure what she was being asked to do here. She wasn’t giving up her room! Though, as a room, there was still space, “How long are you staying here, miss?” Maybe she could loan her the bed for a night or something like that to help resolve this without a fight.

Then the older woman would certainly owe her an interview. She was starting to remember why she didn’t know her name yet. She had refused interviews in the past.

If she helped out, this could finally be her ticket in! This was one of those born in the colony who still seemed to hold on to their superiority complex; she wanted to know more about that, but they were always harder to speak with.

"To put it simply, the conflict lies in the unease of Fire Nation forces still occupying the provinces." Cautiously she continued, "But while some want them removed, other colonists want them to stay since both Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom cultures are heavily mixed."

Lifen didn't fully understand how to solve this.

It was her job to help resolve conflicts, but she was still learning. Being thrown into such a high position she still wasn't used to, it was nerve wrecking.

She tightened her hold on the fan, unease setting in as she continued to think about the ongoing problems.

She could only hope it would be settled swiftly and peacefully.

~****~

Azula turned her gaze to the woman, carefully studying her. This new person didn't seem like a threat, but she would still be cautious.

"I'm staying one night, I only have enough to pay for a night." She replied, forcing a softer voice out.

This could be beneficial if she played her cards right.

Lightly bouncing the pouch in her hands, Azula gave a false sigh of disappointment, "I'm sure there's another town with an open room. I've traveled this far, another day or wouldn't be too much trouble."

Putting on this helpless and tired traveler act was driving her isane. She felt so helpless and powerless now that the possibility of her plan rested in the hands of a stranger! She couldn't stand the thought of someone else practically decided if this would be a success or complete failure.

Now, Azula could only hope the woman would give into greed or possibly be as trusting as the older woman who assisted her.

Zuko took note of the tension in her as she answered, but what she presented before him was not as bad as he’d heard from afar. “Our nations have always been separated,” he said, shaking his head a bit. Even before the Fire Nation went to war, they were separated by the bending powers. He knew Aang had other ideas, other dreams, but right now those seemed far away.

“I’m not sure it’s a possibility to find a peaceable way to keep them together. The land belongs to the Earth Kingdom,” Zuko would continue to accept that face. “And if most of them want the Fire Nation gone, we’ll have to find a way to resolve that.”

But if most didn’t?

Somehow, he still didn’t believe that would be the case, unaware of the power of a vocal minority just yet. Yet, if that was the case, how could it even work? He supposed Ba Sing Se at least had a history of accepting refugees, but this was different. They wouldn’t all be trying to blend into the Earth Kingdom culture – they’d be creating something new.

Right now, he had to set things right.

That meant figuring out the best way to handle this for his people but also for the Earth Kingdom. “I just don’t want my people thrown out at sword point with no warning,” he lifted his gaze to meet hers, “I’m sure we can find a way to make things work and avoid that.”

~***~

The stranger did seem quite beaten down, and the coins in her pouch didn’t seem that heavy. Citra sighed herself, realizing what she was going to do even before the words came out. She couldn’t just turn the stranger away, and if it was only for a night, that wasn’t too bad. “No, you don’t need to go anywhere else. I’ll share. I won’t charge you full price either, since…well, you’re not getting a full room.”

She had to share, too.

The older woman seemed happy with this, “Oh, thank you, Cee! I knew you’d help.”

‘And you’ll help me later.’ Citra didn’t say as much, but gave a wane smile as she really hoped this stranger wasn’t some sort of thief. She didn’t seem that way, just…really broken down. Hopefully a good night’s sleep would help, and some food.

To the other woman, the older one said, “Cee’s been here a bit over a week now, she seems friendly enough, just going about writing stories. I hope your luck turns up, dear.” She probably wouldn’t have said anything different if she knew it was the Princess she was speaking to.

This still did not put her at ease. It only worsened her fears and worries.

Lifen could only give him a nod of acknowledge, the last thing she would want was to throw out anyone. Not even if it was a last resort.

If she had let herself be honest, she sided more with the Earth Kingdom. Not because of the obvious, but she understood how they felt. "The last thing I want is to throw anyone out. In the end, it's their home. It just seems wrong to force anyone to leave." A sorrow filled frown spread itself upon her features as she began to think.

She wasn't thinking like a diplomat, Lifen was letting her emotions and sympathy for both sides sway her thinking.

Casting her gaze to the side she continued, "I understand we have to find a solution. But I'm also aware we can't make everyone happy, that's the hardest part." She knew of places that lived that had mixed cultures that lived harmoniously.

Kyoshi Island was the perfect example. At least from what she had read from a few scrolls.

But, this was a different place and different circumstances.

~****~

Azula was in shock, she hadn't expected it to go this well. She was used to hesitation, people weighing their decisions over agreeing outright. Her lips curled into a smile, turning her attention to the older woman.

"Thank you for your help, Miss. Please take care of yourself." She only noted how gullible the woman was, even with a simple story she had her rushing to her aid. 'Now I just have to keep this act up for the night. It should be do able, this Cee woman seems just as gullible.'

Bringing her attention back to the younger woman Azula held out the pouch.

"Please, take it all. It's the least I can do to repay you for your kindness. I know it isn't much, but I would feel horrible only giving you half." It was a lie. She would feel nothing for tricking her, these people were only pawns to her after all.

Although Zuko agreed it felt wrong to throw anyone out, he knew it may have to be done in some cases. They had invaded this land, taken over it, and made many in the Earth Kingdom akin to second class citizens. That sort of thing couldn’t continue, and he wouldn’t let the Fire Nation continue to rule by fear. If that meant he had to force a few stubborn people out, then he would do so.

But, this visit would hopefully allow them both to glean the situation, and create a plan of action that would work out for even the most stubborn. At least Lifen was on his side about this, though. He felt some small relief at hearing that. He didn’t enjoy how much he felt he had to give to make things right, but someone had to fix what Ozai and his ancestors had done.

The fact she was even concerned with making everyone happy, though, was also encouraging.

He found a wry smile, “Don’t worry about that. I’ll take any slack for what has to be done. It was my nation that started this mess, and my people will learn to understand that we’re going to have to make sacrifices now because of that.” He’d find a way to convince the majority. He knew he’d never convince all.

There were still people who wanted to try and restore Ozai to the throne, even while he sat in prison, with no bending powers.

Others who would probably restore Azula over him, if they could even find her. “I’ll make sure they blame me for it, anyways.” So that their fury at least wasn’t directed at the Earth Kingdom. It should stay where it belonged.

~***~

The older woman smiled and nodded, dismissing herself with a kind farewell to both, before she was out the door.

Citra would feel terrible depriving the woman of everything, no matter how much she needed the money for herself. It simply wasn’t how things were done in her own culture; they were always looking out for each other, always helping one another. To take every last coin this woman had was unthinkable!

Still, Citra took the offered pouch, and dug through it to take out what was half, and then offered it right back, “It wouldn’t feel right to take everything you have, when you still have a journey ahead of you.” It didn’t feel right even taking this much, but Citra had to take some.

She needed the money to keep paying for the hotel, and while she still had some, more helped while she figured out this job situation, or waited for the courier to fetch the scrolls and give her more to manage.

“If you feel bad about it, though, you can help me with my project,” Citra offered, wondering if the woman really would feel like that would be fair reimbursement for not being drained dry, “I’m interviewing people in the colonies, but a traveler through the province would also offer me a unique insight I don’t have yet.”

Certainly that was fair, right?

It still didn't feel right to her, letting him take all the blame due to his status. But she understood that it was inevitable. This was how the it would have to be, it was the fate of those in power. Especially with the past three years were focused on peace and maintaining it.

"Just using you as a scape goat, isn't right." She had to choose her next sentence with caution, Lifen was on thin ice with already speaking out of turn. "I spoke out of turn. Please forgive me, your majesty."

'Great. I've screwed this up already. Why did Aang ask me to do this? He knows I'm still getting used to formalities and everything!'

She sunk into her seat, continuing to scold herself with the sternness of a disappointed mother. The mission hadn't even begun and Lifen already felt like she failed.

She had to be more cautious, especially in the presence of royalty. She had to right to speak so freely.

~****~

Puzzled Azula lifted a brow, "I've never worked with a journalist. I don't think I would be much help." Being the prodigy she was everything came easily to her, but being someone's lackey was the last thing she was willing to do.

Cautiously she took back the pouch, shoving it into her pocket as she processed Cee's words.

She had traveled, Azula saw more on foot than she ever did from a Fire Nation ship, she could spin tales about nearly any placed you asked. But she had only been in the provinces for two days. She knew next to nothing, besides the obvious news that was spreading like wildfire.

"I've only been in this province for a few days. I don't think I could give you much insight to the ongoing issues. But, I could help get people to open up more, maybe even convince them to do an interview with you." She smirked, remembering how easy it was gaining the trust of the colonists.

She was starting to see the benefits of this. Even if it would consist of grunt work, Azula could find the group responsible for the uproar much quicker.

Zuko lifted a brow at Lifen’s contradiction, and though he knew he shouldn’t find it funny, the way she sank into her seat after saying it, he did. He didn’t laugh, though, just rolled his eyes, “Don’t worry about it,” he knew he’d become a bit too casual in his time as Fire Lord. That he’d been an exile for so long was probably a cause of that. “You’re here to offer advice and tell me about the situation. You’re not speaking out of turn.”

He wanted her opinions, even if he disagreed with that one.

“I’m not going to enjoy taking all the blame, but there’s no way around it. We don’t want the Fire Nation citizens to blame the Earth Kingdom for being removed from lands they’ve called home, so it’s better if they’re angry with me. It’s not right, but you have no idea how difficult it is convincing groups of people that what the Fire Nation has done for a century has been wrong.”

They built their identity on their nation, on their service in war, on much. “We’re working on it,” that much was true, “younger generations will grasp it easier, but…we’re not going to convince these people in just a few days or even a month.” He was pessimistic, and it showed.

He couldn’t help but want Iroh at his side again through this, to remind him to have patience, and to have hope.

Hope was more fleeting every day.

He understood why his father thought it was right to rule by fear, but he wouldn’t do that.

~***~

Citra was about to correct the young woman, that she just needed to ask her a few questions, but she paused as instead the woman offered to help her talk to, well, difficult people. She pondered which would be better, or even more achievable, as she made a gesture for the woman to follow her to her room.

‘Maybe she has a lot she isn’t ready to talk about yet.’ It was possible, given her state. If she was willing to help, though….

Citra put the key into the door and opened it, revealing the space she had available…and the mountain of scrolls that were on a desk, some of them put away within it, but too many just spilling out across the top of the desk. “I wouldn’t want to force you to stay longer to help,” Citra said, as she moved to add the current scroll to the pile, “I’m not really…looking for experts, just lived experiences,” she added, “but I understand if you still don’t want to talk, and if you can help at all with others, I would appreciate that.”

She managed to balance the scroll on the pile without any of them spilling onto the floor.

She gave a sigh of relief, then realized, “Oh! I don’t even know your name,” she no doubt heard her name already, but she still offered, “I’m Cee,” she found little reason to add surnames unless it was requested.

Lifen keep her gaze at her hands, like a child who had been scolded. Exhaling a small breathe she spoke, "It will take time, a lot of time. But patience will be the key to working this out." Her mind was spinning as tried to push away any discouraging thoughts.

She was there to advise, her own emotions would have to be set aside.

"But," she started, "There may be a way to speed up the process slightly."

Nervously she lifted her eyes to face him once more, her confident and composed facade was fragile but an mischievous twinkle lit up her eyes. "We could disguise ourselves. They seem to be fond of travelers rather than those in power." Her face remained blank as she spoke, not daring to reveal any of her feelings.

It was a half baked plan, Lifen knew she would have to think many steps ahead to see the success of undercover work. But it was hopefully possible.

~****~

Azula's eyes glistened with interest as she starred at the pile of scrolls. She wondered how many there were, how much information they held within them. This had become more processing by the hour to her.

Cee's words feel on deaf ears, Azula was far too lost in her own scheming thoughts until reality pulled her back. 'Introductions? I can't just reveal who I am. Especially in a Fire Nation colony. Think, I need to think...'

With a plastic smile she responded, "I'm Ty Lee, it's a pleasure to meet you Cee."

Well, that didn’t reassure Lifen at all. Zuko refrained from sighing as she continued to just look at her hands, and he let his gaze stray out the window and through the countryside as they traveled along the new rail system. It truly was a feat how much the Earth Kingdom was accomplishing.

His attention was caught away by her comment of speeding things up, his one good eyebrow arching. It stayed that way as she suggested disguises, before his expression became entirely dull and he lifted his hand to point at his face.

More particularly, his notable burn scar – a scar that was now known throughout the entire Fire Nation, because he was the Fire Lord. “How am I supposed to disguise this?” He asked, some irritation seeping into his tone as he asked it.

Her blank expression was unreadable. He wasn’t sure if she was mocking him, or if she genuinely thought this would work. He’d certainly attempted to hide it before in his life, particularly when he was in Ba Sing Se and selling tea, but no amount of powdery make-up had ever truly hidden it. It was like trying to cover a mole, but ten times worse.

~***~

‘Okay…maybe this is a bad idea.’ The smile was obviously tense. False. Though Citra was thankfully unaware of where Ty Lee had been looking prior to this, that smile still worried her a bit. “It’s good to meet you, Ty Lee.” Thankfully, that name meant nothing at all to her, though she heard Lee was a common surname.

Should she just call her Ty?

Citra wasn’t sure. “If you need to take a bath or anything, they have one here in the inn, I can show it to you, otherwise you can just get some rest,” Citra offered. “I have some notes to finish up.” Mostly to mark another off her list of those she spoke with, and to add notations to the outside of the new scroll so she had an overview of the details without opening it.

It wouldn’t even take five minutes, but she didn’t want Ty Lee—Ty?—to think that she needed to do anything other than take care of herself.

Lifen shook her head realizing she should have further explained to avoid upsetting him. "The only reason I had the idea was because you look similar to someone I knew in the lower ring." Behind her blank mask she internally smiled, remembering the simpler days of not being an ambassador.

"There was a boy I knew, he worked in a tea shop with his uncle." Her voice grew softer as she spoke, her facade slipping as she fondly remembered her encounters at the tea shop. "I can't really remember his name...but I do remember his face." Memories came crashing back to her. Her time with the boy from the tea shop was short, but to Lifen it felt like it was much longer.

She stopped herself, forcing out a more formal voice as she continued, "I had thought it would have been the perfect cover. Considering he disappeared, you could easily assume his identity." Even as she spoke her mind wandered, trying to remember more about him. All Lifen could remember was he looked exactly like Zuko, scar and all. The two could have been mistaken as twins if they stood next to each other with how identical they were.

Quietly she sat in thought remembering the names of everyone she knew from that time. She was sure eventually she would remember his name.

"But this was only a suggestion. After all, I'm only here to give my opinions."

~****~

Azula nodded, only now realizing the name she said. Out of all the names in the world, she had to pick one of her former companions. She felt utter disgust just thinking about that traitor. "You can call me Ty if you'd like." The damage was done, she was stuck with this name now.

Looking at the scrolls from the corner of her eye one last time she turned her gaze to the door. "Thank you, but I'm sure I'll find my way around. You did say you had work to do and I would hate to be a bother."

She started off towards the door, waving to Cee before exiting the room. As the door closed Azula dropping her smile, her face grew sour as she made her way down the hall.

She was tired, irritated, and in need of time to rethink her plan.

Zuko’s irritation faded into a dull stare as she comment on meeting someone in Ba Sing Se, who looked like him. Back before he was well known for his scar, before it was an identifiable trait of the ‘Fire Lord’. He wondered how easy it might be for people to buy it nowadays.

He didn’t remember Lifen from those days. He’d served a lot of people tea, even went on a date with one. He didn’t think that was Lifen, at any rate, but it was still a fond memory, even if he’d not really given it a serious try.

“Yeah, uh…that was me. In Ba Sing Se. My uncle Iroh and I were hiding there,” he confessed as he looked away, moving a hand behind his neck and rubbing it, “Back then people didn’t really know me since I was exiled shortly after getting that burn,” so few people knew the Crown Prince of the Fire Nation had been burned in such a fashion, or how it looked, though many knew he’d been exiled.

It wasn’t like his father told stories about him, or even talked about him. “I’m not really sure I could pull that kind of thing off again,” he could go by any number of names, and play any role, sure, but this trait was so identifiable now…he wasn’t sure how well it would work out. “Unless there are a lot of people with this kind of scarring.”

He probably didn’t really want to know that.

~***~

Ty, okay. She could do that. Cee nodded, giving a smile, “Ty it is,” she agreed, though found her brows knitting together as she claimed she was going to head out. She nodded, and wouldn’t question it any further – although perhaps she should have asked how long Ty planned to be out. She didn’t have a spare key.

‘Oh well.’

She went to making her notes on the scrolls, indicating it was from the Earth Kingdom, born in the colony, and about the culture of dancing, to remind her of the vague details of it, before she made a mark on her list of people she was looking towards interviewing. She set aside a spare scroll for the next, before going to the endtable alongside her bed and taking out some of the food she had.

She didn’t keep too much here, preferring to get a little bit of food each day. This was from the morning, a decently tasty muffin that would suffice until she wanted dinner.

‘I can’t just wait all day for her to get back….’ And she wouldn’t leave the door unlocked.

She sighed.

This wasn’t going well already. ‘Maybe you can take a nap, you might not sleep all night with someone else here.’ Good point. She could at least catch a bit of sleep to make the night easier.

She stared at him in awe. He was the boy from the tea shop? Lifen couldn't believe what she was hearing, the news was shocking to say the least. Lifen's eyes were wide with shock at how nonchalant Zuko was about this.

She could understand by now that time possibly felt more like a dream or another life to him. With everything that went on from the fall of the outer wall to now it was easy to forget the brief moments of peace.

Casting her sights to the window she softly sighed. "If that's the case, I can go undercover on my own. I'm not as recognizable as you are so it'll be easier." It was true. Most people wouldn't recognize her the same way they would the Fire Lord.

~****~

Trudging back to the room Azula sighed. All
She wanted was a peaceful evening, but the spirits had a much different idea for her. Many of the Fire Nation citizens had stopped her to speak of the conflict after noticing she was Fire Nation herself. It was useless dribble and complaints about her brother and the Earth Kingdom. All of this mindless whining had struck a cord with her, but she maintained her optimistic persona until she was alone.

'They all sound like children crying to their mother. What am I supposed to do? Complaining while doing nothing to fix it is for cowards. Cowards just like Uncle.'

Mentally she continued to ridicule her family members only becoming more worked up as she came back to the room. She was already scolding herself for being late, she didn't need any further stress.

Taking a breathe to calm herself she slowly opened the door, attempting to be as silent as possible. Quietly she crept into the room utterly exhausted from the day's events. 'As much as I hate being in debt, I need to repay her to apologize for my lateness.' She thought to herself as she sat on the floor.

Even with how tired she was she felt restless. She starred at the ceiling above getting lost in her own thoughts. Eventually she would drift off to sleep. But for now, she would allow herself to absentmindedly reflect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back