Astrella's Boarding School for the Powered ~ Class MA-103

This was certainly a surprisingly eventful first week. Classes would have started earlier, but it was safer and all-around a better idea to address the students and make sure they understood the situation to the extent they needed to. On top of that, she was thankful that she had a bit more time to recover after having to create such a large dome. After a while, the clean-up crew came in and so did the other deity on campus. Of course, he made her look like a child...

She looked around the classroom with a small sigh as she waited for her students to come in. Some would get lost and come in late. For the first real class-day, that'd be expected. Lyara could already hear the hustle and bustle of the first students. The early-birds, as it were. They always amused her and intrigued her. She had never been an early-bird... not that she didn't like to learn when she was a student. Quite the contrary. She loved learning. She didn't... however... have the best concept of time. She was almost always running late.

Lyara tapped her pen against her leg, watching heads bob past the window in the door. She bet to herself that one of the first kids in would be that Fay kid. He seemed like a smart student, and also from his record, he was incredibly diligent. He'd probably be one of those ones who'd have a heart attack if he was even a tiny bit late. Heck, the kid had even requested the textbook early. They didn't even have to buy it themselves since this was a high school... She couldn't give him all of the books they'd be looking at, but she did give him Precise Application of Abilities: Avoiding Collateral Damage, Vol. 1. Not the biggest book ever, but it did have a lot of neat diagrams. It was bigger than a book with so many pictures would typically be, though, since it had to cover so many different general types of abilities. Blasts. AOEs. Etc. He was certainly a strange one for wanting the first book they'd be looking at early.

On the other side of that coin though... she had one delinquent student. That'd be... interesting. Hopefully they were more of a handful outside of the class than in it. She also really hoped they'd be well behaved enough to go out on the field trips. Then there was the other issue of the handicapped girl. Obviously she was very capable, but this school wasn't really built with wheelchairs in mind... not that it was wholly unaccessible, but... Lyara sighed. She hoped that girl would at least charge her chair properly. She'd have to chat about using some spells to give her better mobility.

They didn't get to see the classroom on their little tour. She wondered idly if they'd like it. It wasn't as decked out as say... Lu-Dao's... but it wasn't completely barren. It also wasn't a jungle like some of the nature teachers. It was... pretty simple. She had bean bag chairs stacked in a little mountain in the corner, and the swivel desks were all in a semi-circle. All fifteen of them. Her chair had no desk, but she did have a whiteboard wall behind her and a podium. One wall was primarily made up of massive windows, and the wall with the beanbag corner to the back had bookshelves. The wall to the left of her, the one with the door, had cubbies. Because... she couldn't think of what else to put there and it was really really cute and she hoped her students would appreciate it.

But for now, she had to eagerly await their arrival. Their opinions would come later.

Last edited:
The past week was incredibly uneventful other than the speech that was given about student safety. What he could remember last about the loud boom that went on in the forest was nothing but a haze. One moment he was reading, and the next was someone shaking him and bringing him back to earth. The rest of that day was a blur, so in an attempt to distract himself and get a head-start on his classes, he had went to Professor McCaffin to see if he couldn't snag the class's textbooks early. She had given him one of them, at least, and though it was small in comparison to what he was used to, he found ways to drag it out from re-drawing the diagrams to extending his notes with supplementary readings he had on-hand and how they correlated.

He was sure to keep himself busy that week. He'd go insane if he didn't have anything to do.

But, with the textbook finished, his first draft of notes done, and the first day upon him, he was excited, to say the least, to finally get his education started. He was up bright and early, before the others, so he could quickly prepare himself and sit in the cafeteria - first one there, and eat while re-reading the text and his notes. At that moment, food was more of a distraction, so it wasn't as if he had eaten much. It was maybe a third of his plate that was finished before an hour had passed, and with the alarm on his phone going off (Thankfully he learned how to use it), it was the signal to start getting to class.

While reading, he was able to carry his things with him while dumping off his tray and move through the crowds of sleepy students who were dragging themselves to their class. Fay hadn't even been looking up as he avoided colliding into students and teachers alike before he reached what he was sure of to be Lyara's class. Upon opening the door, lo and behold, it was, and he seemed as if he didn't notice that someone else was in the room entirely. Instead, he had maneuvered his way to the back of the classroom and sat down his pack and his staff, taking the middle seat of the semi-circle to be able to take in as much of the classroom as possible. Once he felt like he was sufficiently refreshed on the material in the book, he snapped it shut and looked up, only to realize that he most definitely wasn't alone.

"Oh!" he exclaimed quietly, his near-soprano tone somewhat apologetic. "Good Morning, Professor McCaffin. I'm sorry I didn't see you."

~Saruki~​
Makeup was a pain in the ass. So were clothes. Both of these things made her morning routine take far longer than they should have otherwise. It was also that she was dreading an entire day away from her brother... Whatever. They'd live. They wouldn't be that far away from each other. It'd be fine. Vurudial wasn't as worried as she was, at least not outwardly... but she was really happy that they walked to Mister Lu's office together. It was simpler than she thought it'd be. Go in. Check in. He checked their stuff... which of course had nothing in it, and then they left. Saruki gave her brother a firm hug before heading off.

She grabbed a bagel and sour cream from the cafeteria before trotting into class, plate in one hand as she opened the door. Saruki absolutely beamed when she saw Fay in there. "Roomie!" she squealed, zipping over and plopping down next to him, "Oh we do have the same class together! Fantastic. Someone who actually seems competent in my class. Wanna bet we're gonna be the only two?" She smirked, hooking her bag off her shoulder and onto the floor as she set the bagel on the table.

"Hiya Miss...," she paused, the teacher saying her name, "Miss Lyara. Awesome. We're roommates. Isn't that neat?" Saruki absolutely beamed, so pleased someone from her room was here too. The more time she could be with a friend, the more she could manipulate them to her whim. "As I'm certain you're aware. I'm your delinquent. Dunno if you have more though. Or is it just me? Either way I just stopped by Lu's and then the cafeteria. Mind if I eat in here? I've not had breakfast yet."

Getting a no, she pumped her fist exuberantly, "Hell yes! Got an awesome teacher. Glad you're not a stick in the mud about something as simple as food."

Saruki looked at Fay again, "So how's your day so far? You were gone before I got up! Though, I am a pretty heavy sleeper." She wasn't, really, that much of a heavy sleeper. He'd woken her up. But she was on the top bunk and didn't really move, observing with her ears to try to figure out which one of them had gotten up so early. He was diligent. "You must be super diligent," she said, mirroring her thoughts, "Getting up so early for the first day of class and all that. That's really neat. What sort of magics do you specialize in? I do circles. All sorts of circles. I'm a little bit of a savant with them... not that I've shown the school that yet."

Osuka Osuka

Chiara

Honestly the last week went by like a blur. Spending all her time with her sister to keep her calm over the past week made it go by quick. When it came time for classes to start though worries came as she got her sister dressed and ready. When they got to her sister she had all but destroyed the detention room. shredding the furniture and breaking basically anything she could so to think of them being separated once more only brought more fear to her mind. Quickly though she pushed them aside as they left the dorms after she had gotten ready as well. Soon the two went there separate ways until lunch would come.

Letting out a soft sigh as she steered her wheelchair into the class room she sent a small smile towards her teacher. "Morning miss Lyara." She said softly before sending a nod to her class mates. She smiled a tiny more before finding a place at the right side of the semi circle
Osuka Osuka Deathkitten Deathkitten

Last edited:
~Lyara~
This was going to be a good day. The first student was unsurprising. Fay. He was a little overachiever, and honestly it was super endearing. She smiled at him, chuckling slightly to herself as she waited for him to say something. Again she chuckled when he actually closed the book and noticed he wasn't alone in the room. "Well hello! You're already going to prove yourself to be a good student, huh? Have you already read that book I gave you early?" she asked, raising a brow a bit.

As she waited to hear his response, more students were starting to file into the class. In particular an especially hyper one stood out. She practically swung herself into the seat next to Fay, asking a barrage of questions. "Slow down, Saruki. Yes, you may eat in here. I don't mind. You spoke with Lu-Dao first, correct?" she asked, a bit nervous about the presence of a delinquent student. Perhaps she was just misunderstood?

Lyara waved and smiled as Chiara rolled in. Well... there was only one delinquent student in the class... everyone else was probably fine, even kind and sweet. Oh... hopefully she wouldn't have any cocky mages. That was always such a problem. She cleared her throat loudly once the last of her class had found their way in, and waited until everyone had found their seat and started to hush.

"We're going to split into pairs! There'll be one group of three... Fay, Chiara, and Saruki, you'll be the group of three. This way, you can meet at least one person in the class, and we can get straight to something more engaging," she paused, smiling, "My name, as you already know, is Lyara McCaffin. This is a class for Arcane Mages... and yes, we're going to have fun. First and foremost..." She flicked her hand out, papers floating their way to each desk deftly, "These are the syllabuses. Your first 'homework' will be to read it thoroughly. There will be a short, really easy quiz on it to make sure you actually looked at it. But that's for later, not for in class!"

"For this little group, get-to-know-each-other type of activity, I want you all to show me something of what you know. So... Each member of the pairing will come up with one simple thing they know how to do, explain and show it to the other person, and then after everyone is done, the pairing... or group... will choose who will show the class their little trick. Don't be shy to say you don't know how to do something if you're new to magic. No shame here. Also... no dangerous magic. I'll be quite strict about that. If we're to do something dangerous, then we're going to do it outside or in the Gym, not here," she looked around at the class, "Alright! Get going on it. I'll call the class back together once enough time has passed.

(( Osuka Osuka Daniel Reaving Daniel Reaving ))

There was more than a bit to mull over with the Professor's request. What to show them? What to not? How to go about it? Of course, there wasn't any need for grandeur - he wasn't some flamboyant master magician, after all. But what if she was grading it? Their performance would be more than just that, in that case: She could be setting something of a benchmark for each individual student, and seeing as she was in fact a deity, it couldn't have been that hard. His old teachers were twice the stickler for individual benchmarking than the others he had heard about throughout the States, at least.

He'd go for something at least somewhat difficult - something that would be out of his age range by a couple decades. Something he knew he could pull off due to practice rather than theory so that, if she was, he wouldn't be learning anything he didn't already know and continued to practice to keep the rust off. What should it be, though? Greater barriers? Curse wards? Maybe, but they would've had to go outside and do a demonstration of it, and it wouldn't be safe. Self-cloning could be done, but that called for more mana than he had regularly, so he wouldn't be able to sustain it for long enough. But what else...?

Fay lifted a brow as he suddenly realized he knew something of a loophole with a school of spells: Summoning. If one did it right, the mana loss could only be temporary - something like collateral damage for what one pulls through the rift, and he couldn't think of anything better than a Gryphon - nothing of the regular Griffon sort, but something far more powerful than its layman counterpart considering the span of difference between the two. Still, he had to show the others - Saruki and Chiara, if he was to put his idea forth. He wasn't simply going to march up and do his own thing.

Having said that, the other part was actually talking to the others, which he wasn't that great at, and showing them something a lot easier to summon instead of a Gryphon or Griffin.

"So..." he started out.

"Smooth," his inner voice interjected.

He shook his head to push the voice aside and began. "So uh, I can show you all how to summon something without permanently expending your mana to do so," he started, wheeling his desk closer to theirs. "Would that be okay?"

Deathkitten Deathkitten Daniel Reaving Daniel Reaving

Chiara looked to her group as it was called out, giving them a shy smile as she slid her finger forward on the control pad and drove her chair over to them. "H-hi guys." She said to the two as she looked them over. Hearing the boy speak of teaching them how to summon something she gave him an in awe look as she spoke. "That's so cool!!" She stared happily before blushing a little at her out burst. "I-I'm a tellepath mostly. I can move things with my mind and do a little bit of talking to others with my mind. I mostly use my second ability to control my little sister." She said with a hesitant nervous little chuckle. She wondered how the two would react to hearing about controlling her sister. If they knew what her sister was that would understand, But they don't do it could be taken in the wrong context if they wished.
Osuka Osuka Deathkitten Deathkitten

saruki-jpg.400433
~Saruki~​
Of course she got stuck with two people... Well, at least she was with Fay. She'd get an idea of what level he was at... and then there was the cripple. She hoped she was significantly more useful than she appeared to be. Really, it was impressive the girl even got into a school like this. Maybe they had a diversity program or something?

Mm. Nothing dangerous, huh? Magic was innately dangerous... though perhaps that was being to nit-picky about it. Saruki looked around at the others nervously attempting to show off what they knew, listening to Fay speak, and then to Chiara speak. Summoning, but he asked to do it first. High powered but nervous? Uncertain? The girl was a telekinetic and a telepath... who controlled their little sister? Huh. To each their own. She'd not do that to family, but not everyone was as close.

"Wow!" she chimed in, looking back at the two of them finally, "You guys are really cool! I'd love to see your summoning, Fay... though something that large might not be a great idea indoors. I wouldn't want you to get in trouble... and Chiara, is it? That's such a useful thing to know how to do. I imagine expanding upon that, there are a lot of potential uses in a hero role."

She tapped her lip for a moment, "Hmm... Well, since your ability isn't flashy, and you asked to do so before instead of just doing it, I guess I'll go first. My specialty is circles." She tapped the floor with her foot, an intricate glowing pinkish maze of runes, lines, and symbols expanding outwards from her to around a five-foot diameter. "I set them up ahead of time, for the most part, so I can use them at a moment's notice. I also enjoy layering them..."

At that, she made the one at her feet disappear, opting to make circles appear in her hands, not much bigger than them. She put each hand close to one another and pulled outwards as though she had an accordion. Darker pink and red circles took up the space between her hands, six in total, "The more complex, the more you can do with it. It's like writing a program for a computer, but with magic... So that's the basics for what I do. As for showing you something... hmm..."

The circles disappeared again, and she went back to tapping her lip gently. It took her a moment more before she decided what she would do. "Ah! I know," she exclaimed, splaying her hands out in front of her, facing downwards. "Most of what I prefer to do is rather dangerous or destructive, so I had to really think about it," she chuckled, a large circle appearing on the ground around the three of them. It glowed for a moment. A bright flash of light engulfed the three of them, and once it faded, it was clear they were no longer inside. Saruki grinned wide, motioning around them, "Ta-da! Something useful, but not something that explodes."

After a moment, she made another circle, transporting the three of them back inside again. She stole a glance at the teacher, who looked like she was quite unhappy with that little stunt... but eh. She didn't say that teleportation was off the table. Not Saruki's worry.

(( Daniel Reaving Daniel Reaving Osuka Osuka ))

Last edited:
The room suddenly fills with the sounds of phones going off all at the same time. Even if they had been put on silent, they still go off loudly, ringtones blaring. All the text messages are from one person named "Sudo" in your phones.

Sudo
them
Tempest has escaped
Sudo
them
Tempest has escaped
Sudo
them
Welcome to the school. Just a friendly hello. :angel:
them
I'm messaging a whole bunch of new students to say hi while you guys are on your tour.
me
...Who... Who are you?
me
...When did I get a phone, actually?
them
Tempest has escaped

(( Osuka Osuka Daniel Reaving Daniel Reaving I also edited my last post to place them back inside the classroom.))

The conversation of what they could possibly do was interesting, and Fay found himself somewhat flattered that Saruki had complimented both of them on their abilities. Of course, that didn't last long as he watched her make spell circles. Now, to be fair, Fay wasn't the best when it came to circles. He was the type of mage that drew up his will from within, formed it, and then cast it through his staff or his hands. That was hard enough to do without one's arcane focus. Though when he watched the girl make the circles, it wasn't until they were about to teleport that he realized what they were and braced himself.

Teleportation in itself is simple: One makes a connection from point A to point B via bending the dimension that they're currently in. If you take you hand and create an L with your index finger and thumb, labeled point A as your index and point B as your thumb, then touch them together, it was the basic idea of how teleportation worked. That was the same for almost any type of teleportation. The difference is how one handled teleportation. Fay had been through a few portals in his life, so he had some experience, but it was always disorienting. The instantaneous flash of threads of magick being there and suddenly gone, for someone as sensitive to the Arcane as he was, was enough to make your head spin, and he didn't even have enough time to protest before they were once again in their seats within the classroom.

To be honest, the cold surface of the desk was quite something: Cold, flat, unmoving, with no give to it. That was how the world was supposed to work, and for that moment, it felt really, really good against his left cheek. To his chagrin, this was going to be interrupted by a sudden buzz in his coat - the phone again. Didn't he silence that? Fay furrowed his brow as he sat up, resisted the urge to put his head back down because he has the control of Grand Wizard Merlin, then opened his phone to read the text.

What he got was a surprise: A breakout. It wasn't a regular breakout, but one of the more scary supervillains named Tempest. The guy was an absolute killing machine, indiscriminate in his methods, and utterly terrifying to face in a fight. No one liked fighting him, as he recalled. Surely he couldn't have been the only one, and he couldn't resist.

"How are you sure? Also, it couldn't have been a simple one-man job - the facility is too secure for that."

Another few hours pass since the alarming text message barrage, and class at least attempts to get back to normal. At around 2pm (it was 11am-ish), a loud bell rings out through the school. A voice comes up over the intercom, stating that, it is now Lunchtime, and that students should head to the cafeteria for food. Though this was a little later than a typical lunchtime, it was clearly normal, as the teachers had been expecting it. They let the students go to the cafeteria, many of them tagging along with.

Continue here: Cafeteria

Osuka Osuka Daniel Reaving Daniel Reaving

Users who are viewing this thread

Back