• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Art of the Blade (Sign-Ups)

JSPD2000

Q0zbzhQ.jpg

Breathe in, breath out. Breathe in, breathe out. The first rule in harnessing your mana is calmness. Learning to control your breathing, will allow you to tap into your worldly abilities! Without calmness, your mana frays and withers like a flame in the wind. Each and everyone one of you is capable of worldly things, and it is my job to bring it out of you. No matter your age or creed, I will mold you in the best Hunter you can become.

- Master Blanco

SB5r0NH.jpg

Mana - a simple, yet spiritual concept. Everyone has mana, however, not everyone can control it. Some cultures refer to it as Spirit Energy, whilst others see it as malicious and evil. The controlling and utilizing of this mana, is called Weaving. Sometimes referred to as Mana Weaving as well, the term Weaving refers to the practice of utilizing and mastering mana, 'weaving' it through your body like thread to perform different acts of Weaving Techniques. These techniques vary incredibly from individual to individual, and are subjective to the users' mana, personality, skill, etc. The techniques themselves are expelled through the usage of a weapon, most often a blade made from a special material. However, this begs the question: Why would someone need to know all this?

~​

Monsters lurk the world that humans live in. Feeding off other living beings, it can be said these monsters do not exist for any other reason, other than to just simply kill off humans. Why would the gods create such disgusting beings? That is something not even the wisest men know. However, with this hand humans have been dealt, the Monsters can be fought by utilizing the power of mana. The struggle between the two has been recorded throughout history, although he exact time frame that mosnters appeared in the world is not certain. They have been the reason for many deaths, and the reason that humans cannot venture outside alone. This is why any human capable of learning to Weave, is sent through training to combat these monsters, in hopes that one day there is no need to fear these beings. However, right now, that day seems far away.

7XBwthC.jpg

The Academy of Lara Maxa is a school for the arts - the Art of Weaving, that is. A school for all ages and people, those that have a glimmer of mana control can enrol in the school to learn how to fight, and become Hunters. A curriculum includes everything from Mana study, Monster study, to practical exams and even field trips. Rumours state that other Academies like Lara Maxa exist in the world, however, that has not been confirmed.

Lara Maxa was a Hunter from yore, who began her own school from nothing, to what it is today. Although of course she is now deceased, a middle-aged man by the name of Vander runs the school as Headmaster. Accompanied by numerous staff and teachers, they run the school in hopes of creating Hunters that are willing to put their life on the line when push comes to shove. Every student is given a sword made from a material that allows them to utilize their mana, and this sword is their bread and butter when it comes to combat.

The Academy of Lara Maxa is situated in a town known as Glorias. Nestled in the mountains, this quaint town has a small bustling community with a market, taverns, and of course, houses for citizens. Students are permitted to go into town when they are not working or studying, however, they are not permitted to go out of curfew. Not following the rules can get students expelled. Study on, and become the best Hunter you can be.

~​

Mana is free flowing, and subjective to each individual. Because of this, Mana can have differing properties for everyone. Traditionally, Mana follows the several Elements:
  • Lightning
  • Fire
  • Water
  • Air
  • Light
  • Darkness
  • Nature
Although these are the main elements, some elements can be considered to be sub-elements of the parent element. For example, Nature Mana generally encompasses earth-related techniques, however, plant-related techniques would be a sub-element of Nature. Same with Ice, and parent element being Water. It should also be noted, the sub-element would be the main element for the user. If a Hunter's mana was Ice elemental, then they would NOT be able to use the traditional Water. Scholars have been trying to sort through how this works, however, knowledge of mana is not as set in stone as many people would like, and as such, is unpredictable in nature.

~

Rules + World Rules

1. All Forum Rules Apply
2. This is a rather darker roleplay, so I guess I rate it "m" for all the usual stuff (swearing, some gore, adult themes). Please don't abuse this, and use it as an excuse to swear excessively or be crude or vulgar. I rated it this, to give a bit more freedom with writing.
3. No godmodding. I know this roleplay has mana and fighting and whatnot, but make the fighting realistic. If your character got hit, make sure you describe they actually got hit and not just shook it off like it was nothing ( a punch to the face does hurt).
4. No having multiple characters
5. No bunnying other characters without permission. However, something I do allow, is for you to bunny my character if you need to (you don't have to ask me, unless you think it is something out of the ordinary for my character to do).
6. Not really a rule, but please give me critique if you don't like something. For example, if you guys absolutely hate the whole chapter thing, then please let me know and I will most likely scrap it. With that said, if you have an idea for a chapter or want to have one revolving around your own character or whatever, please let me know.
7. Once again, not really a rule, however, I should note that this roleplay is not based around any existing franchise of the sort. It is simply my own creation.
8. This roleplay is a fantasy/medieval setting, keep in that mind.

4mJSmpU.jpg

As you can guess, your character will be a new student at the Academy of Lara Maxa. Their reasons for becoming a Hunter and learning at the Academy is up to them, however, you are eager to learn (hopefully). You hope to harness your power and make a change in this bleak, gloomy world.
_____

The Sign-Up Sheet

Name

(Straightforward. A First name and middle or last name (if they have one)).

(Age doesn't generally doesn't matter in this roleplay. Could play as an old man, middle aged woman, etc. The academy is for ALL ages other than minors, so please keep that in mind. Realistically, I'd like characters with differing ages.)

Appearance
(Good description of your character. Picture does not substitute for writing. Only human characters.)

Personality
(Explain their personality. Their traits, habits, how they behave etc.)

Background
(Probably the most important section. Detail anything here, from their origins, social class/status, occupation, family, or anything else that would fit in here. Also put down why they are attending the academy.)

Element
(What Element is their mana? You can make your own Sub-element as well, if it makes sense).

Other
(Anything else you want to add?)

Typically here recruitment, OOC, and CS are all separate threads, to help keep things clear and easy to manage (this forum is just supposed to be for recruitment, according to site rules).

Typically here recruitment, OOC, and CS are all separate threads, to help keep things clear and easy to manage (this forum is just supposed to be for recruitment, according to site rules).

Ahh sorry, I misunderstood what you are saying: Yes, there will be threads for all of those. I am simply seeing who would like to join/is interested in making a character first, before I create the Character thread.

Looks awesome, like the take on magic so far. I wanna ask though is this a magic academy sort of rp or will the cast be sent on tasks/quests/hunter shit to do?

Also what does bunny mean in the context of rules?
"Don't bunny other characters but you can mine"
Is this slang for controlling actions of another character in a subtle way? Like if A is talking to b and c and A is talking while moving about the party so the person writing A implies B and C follow A as they talk?

Looks awesome, like the take on magic so far. I wanna ask though is this a magic academy sort of rp or will the cast be sent on tasks/quests/hunter shit to do?

It's going to be a bit of both - the main location (so far) is the Academy, with other stuff going on. For the task/quest stuff, people can sometimes submit and request to the academy to get the students to handle monster-related stuff for a cheap price. It's assumed that by enrolling in the academy, students are understanding the dangers that come with the territory.

Im pretty keen to play but you can put me down as sold if I can make a guy who has a boomerang made of the metal that helps weave mana, get a telekinesis thing going via electricity

Telekinesis/Psy Element I am fine with! I'm open to your character having a boomerang as well, but it would have to be a bit further into the roleplay, seeing as how the weapons are given by the Academy. Unless your character has an explanation as to how they got the boomerang in the first place?

Telekinesis/Psy Element I am fine with! I'm open to your character having a boomerang as well, but it would have to be a bit further into the roleplay, seeing as how the weapons are given by the Academy. Unless your character has an explanation as to how they got the boomerang in the first place?
I mean he's controlling his weapon like a magnet using electricity, not so much telekinesis but for simplicity it could be described as such. It's range and the objects able to be controlled would be effected by electricity and be within the range of the one weaving.

As for why he has a weapon made of something special, depends on how much leniency we get in making the character. If a simple hunter/tribal sort has no way of getting a expensive/rare weapon fair enough. If only the rich can afford such things im happy for my guy to wait or have the inexpensive option. "How did he control a iron sword with his mind?" "his mana weaving is incredible..."

also what's "bunnying"

I mean he's controlling his weapon like a magnet using electricity, not so much telekinesis but for simplicity it could be described as such. It's range and the objects able to be controlled would be within the range of the one weaving.

As for why he has a weapon made of something special, depends on how much leniency we get in making the character. If a simple hunter/tribal sort has no way of getting a expensive/rare weapon fair enough. If only the rich can afford such things im happy for my guy to wait or have the inexpensive option. "How did he control a bone with his mind?" "his mana weaving is incredible..."

also what's "bunnying"

Ahhhh I gotcha - I like that explanation! Quite creative with the 'magnet'!

As for the weapon, yeah, creation of the weapons are extremely difficult so it wouldn't make much sense for them to have one right now - however, I will keep in mind your character wants a boomerang and work that into the story, so they get one sooner rather than later.

And bunnying is simply just controlling another person's character without permission.

If it helps I plan on making a guy between 20 and 30 in age so maybe he's been at the academy long enough and earned good boy points to get a sharp aerodynamic weapon for his efforts

If it helps I plan on making a guy between 20 and 30 in age so maybe he's been at the academy long enough and earned good boy points to get a sharp aerodynamic weapon for his efforts

Actually, all the character will be new students! So the characters are starting from scratch, no matter their age here haha

Hey, I would definitely be interested (thinking of playing a young lady having power related to insects or bugs, if that is something that fits into nature).
May I ask, what is the preferred posting frequency? I might be a bit busy in May, but I should be able to manage a post a week (if I get accepted, that is).

Hey, I would definitely be interested (thinking of playing a young lady having power related to insects or bugs, if that is something that fits into nature).
May I ask, what is the preferred posting frequency? I might be a bit busy in May, but I should be able to manage a post a week (if I get accepted, that is).

Absolutely that is okay! And I believe once a week should be fine :)

I should have the Character Thread up by tomorrow! It seems as if we have enough people interested!

Got a character concept in mind, based on the water element. Primarily using bubbles o3o

CS Thread is up! Feel free to post your characters for review/approval :) I shall add mine soon as well!

Schwing schwing lets goo, I can use either my delayed strike character, or the light saber one. Regarding the monster, is there a limit or certain pattern or appearance they do have?

Schwing schwing lets goo, I can use either my delayed strike character, or the light saber one. Regarding the monster, is there a limit or certain pattern or appearance they do have?

There is no specific appearance other than they are generally grotesque in appearance.

Also note: every character will be starting off with a generic Academy-issued sword

Users who are viewing this thread

Back