Anyone play Skyrim on Steam?

AlbaGuBrath

"Scotland Forever"
So, apparently Steam is having a sale where Skyrim and the three DLCs are $18 and I'm really considering downloading Steam and buying it. But, I'm not a gamer, so I was hoping y'all could answer a couple questions.

First off, I need to know about their refund policy. I looked around the website but didn't come across it. I'm concerned about my computer not being able to handle the game (like I said, not a gamer) and want to be sure I can get a refund if it doesn't work. I looked through the requirements, but I don't really know how to figure out what my computer's specs are, so that doesn't do me much good.

Secondly, if a friend and I agreed to split the cost and share the game, would that be allowed? Or is it a one person per account thing? 

Finally, does Skyrim work well on a computer? I've only ever played it on XBox and don't have much experience playing games on a keyboard. Is it very hard to learn compared to a console? Also, are the DLCs good?

Thank y'all very much for your time and answering my silly questions... (x

Lemme tell you this:

If you've never played Skyrim, I would HIGHLY recommend getting the remastered for a much more pleasant experience graphic wise. But if you're still dead set on getting the older version, lemme answer your questions:

1) My potato of a Windows laptop can run Skyrim with 50+ mods loaded and decent settings. I'm sure you're fine. Yet I have had to return games before, and steam will refund your purchase to the payment method chosen not including tax.  Just go through their support page.

2) Family sharing is a thing, yes! Just sign in on their computer, enable sharing there, and download the game. But be warned, they are unable to play the same time you are, and because you are the owner, if you try to start the game while they are playing, it will boot them off. This will not happen vice versa. I recommend finding a tutorial online to help with this!

3) This is dependent on a few things. How good is your system? Are you going to be moding your game? Are you comfortable using keyboard controls or do you need to purchase an Xbox controller (I know I did! The only downside is a slight delay and lack of hot keys.)

4) The DLCs are... In my opinion, meh. Dragonborn isn't rewarding in the slightest (new fast travel method, yay >.>) and Dawnguard is only okay if you side with the vampires to get the best vanilla follower (Serana <3), a player home, an alright alternative to lycanthropy, etc. So I would play through them first before forming an opinion. Hearthfire is time consuming and not worth it if you have the gold to buy a  house in one of the golds or use a player home mod.

Hope this helps! Lemme know if you  have any other questions. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
@StoneWolf18 That did help a lot, thank you!

Unfortunately, I came to it just a bit too late to be able to do the research I wanted and I missed the end of the sale. However, I will be keeping an eye out for it next year if they do it again.

@StoneWolf18 That did help a lot, thank you!

Unfortunately, I came to it just a bit too late to be able to do the research I wanted and I missed the end of the sale. However, I will be keeping an eye out for it next year if they do it again.

Just grab it in the winter sale and see how many mods it takes to break it.

Just grab it in the winter sale and see how many mods it takes to break it.

Oh, I didn't know they were having one! I'll watch out for that...

Though I probably won't be using mods, certainly not more than a couple. (x

Once you play Skyrim enough, you're gunna want to use mods. I'm not saying Skyrim isn't enjoyable; it's probably one of my favorite games of all time. But mods enhance that experience 10 fold. Me personally, I love an immersive experience, challenging combat, and beautiful graphics. Mods offer you so many things without paying a dime, and if you can handle them, they'll turn a great game into an amazing game.

However, vanilla 2011 Skyrim has outdated graphics, and back then it was one of its selling points. If you truly won't use mods, then I agree with @StoneWolf18 by saying you should get the remastered addition. A bit pricey, but I'm sure a sale will come around sooner or later, and it's definitely worth it.

Perhaps... I may download them, but I'll have to see.

Don't think I'm peer pressuring you into getting mods. You'll definitely want to give it a couple of vanilla runs. Just saying mods will be very big possibility, especially for a PC gamer.

Don't think I'm peer pressuring you into getting mods. You'll definitely want to give it a couple of vanilla runs. Just saying mods will be very big possibility, especially for a PC gamer.

Yeah, and there are a couple I would probably consider getting. But I don't want to break my computer or the game because I would have absolutely no idea how to fix it. Then considering I'd probably only be playing off and on in my spare time, I think the vanilla version would suffice for a good while.

Yeah, and there are a couple I would probably consider getting. But I don't want to break my computer or the game because I would have absolutely no idea how to fix it. Then considering I'd probably only be playing off and on in my spare time, I think the vanilla version would suffice for a good while.

Just use nexus mods and their mod manager, it makes for easy installation and uninstallation of any mods that end up breaking it.

Mods.  So many mods.  Enderal is a great complete conversion mod ( completely new world/story), when you're tired of the base game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back