Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe...

• Whut?

• Total voters

marorda

Oddball and author
Purely out of curiousity, but are there any people out here who, besides forum RP (and/or tabletop games) like LARP (Life Action Role Playing)?

I myself started LARP a year ago, and I totally fell in love with it. I've played mostly NPCs so far on events, but this year I will start with an actual PC (Or 3 actually).

My characters are:

- Freyja Lynxborn: she's a hunter/rogue/merchant in a lovely group called the Darion Tribe. We consist of main families, and smaller families far away related to the big ones. Our culture is Celtic/Germanic, and we have about 36 people playing with us. They're really awesome people. Freyja is pretty cool too! She's really sweet and caring, a little bit scared when it comes to fighting, but when absolutely needed she's not afraid to step up (heck, last time she was the first to draw her dagger and shout a battlecry when one of our gods' messengers asked whether we would fight for them!)

- Tushara Nightshade: Possibly a one time only character. Healer for an army that's going to do stuff very soon. She's a snow-related dryad and (part) werewolf. A tad arrogant due to her being quite old, but also quite sweet and wise and willing to help (most of the time)

- Katharina d'Ambois: She's a young noblewoman and alchemist. Her family got lynched because her brother murdered someone the smallfolk loved... She's got quite a trauma after that, so she's a pretty big scaredy-cat (And that's a much intended pun since people often call her "Kat" instead of Katharina.

Next year another character will appear on the list, namely my possible favorite: Rawah

Rawah is half elf, half forest spirit (possible demi-goddess). She was abandoned and raised herself, so even though she has a mature body, she has the mentality of a 6-year old. She likes playing tag (knocking people unconscious), and is totally unaware of what is appropriate and what not. I'm gonna have so much fun with her.

So, more LARPers on here willing to share characters, costumes, and great stories?

I've LARPed in the past, but @Thorn Darkblade is really into LARPing these days, I know. I wish I could afford to do it more, but alas... college~. Though, several years back my horse (at the time, who unfortunately passed) and I used to be invited to LARP games and Faires to joust. I sadly had to sell my equipment though to buy my new horses. Heh, heh, heh. Your characters seem awesome though, and three characters is very ambitious!

1381478_10202343067288751_1062049295_n_zpsdywibjlr.jpg

Well, they're not all 3 at the same event. There's quite some organizators of events over here. And the one I play at organizes 4 big events per year, and a few "kidslarps" which are just one day. I have college too, but I still manage to spare money for this. And the good thing is that Katharina and Freyja share a part of their costume, so that saves some money as well ^_^

We don't have people on horses here though. Something with no space, and safety.

When it comes to my characters I've only played Freyja. Because we have some In Character weekends with our group. It also gives us some points to spend on skills in the big events ^_^

Last weekend we had an IC weekend. In an actual rebuild Iron Age Village in the middle of the forest. And that was so freaking cool! It's going to be our own yearly event.

So, I'm currently president, quartermaster, registry, and newsletter editor of a small provisional chapter of the International Fantasy Gaming Society (IFGS). It's a fantasy class-based system with foam weapons, a highly customizable item system, and our games usually focus on small teams, like that of a D&D group, going through challenges and plot. Our chapter is currently tiny (about 10-15 seriously active members), but we're only in our second summer and growing fast. We don't have a lot of manpower or a lot of good costuming/props at the moment due to our incredibly young age, but fortunately, one of our founding members was our master foamsmith in a previous LARP in the area, so, we've got a decent stockpile of weapons, and we've been slowly building up a big prop base. We're currently kind of the 'poor man's larp', only charging folks around $10 to PC, half that to NPC, and no real costume requirements, although we do encourage folks to do it anyways.

For characters, I have a few (Characters can go up to 10th level in our system, by the way):

Drace Clawfang, 10th lvl Thief, CN- Currently my highest level, he was a carry-over from a previous chapter that was in the area and folded. I've temporarily retired him via plot means because the other founding members and I felt it wouldn't be fun for new players to have to contend with these beasts of characters. Plotline wise, he was born into a nation now forgotten by the world, but it was once a glorious nation of science and academia. Unfortunately for them, two magical experiments, one researching into positive aspects of necromancy, and one researching into potential immortality, counteracted each other, plunging the lands into a twisted magic that basically turned everyone into sentient undead. Some got it worse, becoming mindless zombies. Drace, however, kept his mind, albeit a little shaken by the whole ordeal. He managed to escape the lands before the surviving archmagi sealed them within a deep miasma, preventing entry or exit. He's been searching for a way to save his lands and his family for about the last 3 centuries. During that time, he's become a master thief, a criminal overlord, and one of the greatest spies the world has seen. He sees crime as somewhat of a necessary evil, but seeks to control it to reduce its total harm. He tends to find more corrupt criminal organizations, topple them, and then rebuild them working for him, directing their movement into less overall harmful pursuits (absolutely destroying things such as slavery, kidnapping/ransoming, and harder drug trades). Two centuries ago, he became the unwitting host of an evil being seeking godhood. His allies and him eventually drove it out, but not before much of the world had been damaged in the process. It was rumored he had been killed in the final battle, but, he still lives, lurking in the shadows, pulling strings wherever he passes.

Captain Kye O'Malley of the Underhanded Venture, 4th Lvl Monk, CG - Kye is a man of freedom, of the seas, of fine women and cheap booze (or was it the other way around?) He captains his vessel, the Underhanded Venture, out of several ports near the City of Merchants. Much of his work is 'privateering', or so his forged letter of marque states, but, he's an actual pirate. He's certainly not bloodthirsty by any means, trying to let those he fights survive and flee, even if they don't surrender. For the most part though he seeks adventure and freedom on the high seas, not caring where the wind takes him next. Currently, after some particularly pitched battles and rough seas, O'Malley is seeking out new crew members.

Commander Ilsario Lucan of the Knights of the Gilded Rose, 3rd Lvl Knight, LG - I'm gonna type this one up later, because I gotta run, :P

I LARP at conventions. Whatever's goin', you know?

Last time it was a really fun Changeling: The Lost LARP set in Edo. I got to scream about the deeds of my ancestors and charge a firing line, waving a tetsubo, only to die gloriously.

That's pretty cool! AAH I have a larp at the end of the month. As NPC, so I wonder what I'll get to play this year.

Last year I was a bitch-ass elf lady, a dryad, an evil snake, a lost child, and a tax collector of sorts xD Oh yeah, and a mail(wo)man.

Also, @Thorn Darkblade that sounds like an interesting system! I'm not at all familiar with a system like that, since my larp events have no levels. Just skills you buy with EP which you earn by playing a lot xD The system you use indeed reminds me a lot of D&D ^_^

marorda said:
Also, @Thorn Darkblade that sounds like an interesting system! I'm not at all familiar with a system like that, since my larp events have no levels. Just skills you buy with EP which you earn by playing a lot xD The system you use indeed reminds me a lot of D&D ^_^
It very much so is based off of D&D. Our particular chapter is tiny, but there's other chapters around the nation that are fairly sizable

I have a mother who is very interested in LARPing! In fact, she's been making one and researching LARP websites to get some ideas! She's even planning on making a costume for me!

Time to bump this back up.

I had a larp last weekend, and it was freaking amazing!

It was the first time I was there as a player instead of NPC, and I'm really proud of myself because I managed to cry actual tears when my character's distant cousin laid dying at my feet.

Whilst I haven't attended a LARP yet, I am currently working on a character for (really the only decient larp nearby) a steampunk/fantasy/horror larp.

Nah, I've never tried it.

Being in theatre for several years, and loving RPing, I'm sure I could do it...if I wasn't so dreadfully shy around people I don't know. Sounds odd for someone who use to perform on stage for theatre, dance, band, chorus, and orchestra growing up...
.but my self esteem took a major hit after leaving HS and I've never recovered how I use to be, so yeah, I'm horrible around ppl idk now. So I come off as a bitch or anti-social in groups nowadays, when really I'm just painfully shy with crap self-esteen. xD

I'd literally have to be friends with the people I LARP with first, I could never go to some random LARP event....I'd screw up majorly then feel even more shy. LOL

I'm quite shy too. But the LARP community I got in is really awesome. It feels like you've known people for years while you only just met. And you can go to a larp as NPC too, so you won't have to make your own character, that's a good start.

I started only one year ago, and I made so many new friends, it's really great. And the specific group of people I play in is so great that we're building our own website now ^_^

My junior year of High School, when Harry Potter madness was at its peak (anticipation of book 6 and all of that), a group of my friends and their friends, and their friends friends, all LARPed at this huge park next to our school. It was amazing. We mostly did original characters but there were some that played favored characters. We didn't have much money so mostly used school costumes, mixed with odds and ends from home. We did it for most of the day, after a few weeks of prep. Even set up the picnic shelters as different classes, made our own wands and had duels, even road around on brooms to play Quidditch in one of the baseball diamonds. We even had a feast when dark hit in our own Great Hall, where most friends families sponsored the food.

We had about 50 people or so, and just had a blast with it. the local paper wrote an article about it. Honestly, it was one of my more favorite High School memories since I never was good at sports, drama or any of that other typical high school stuff. I wished we could've done it again. I really don't have a chance to LARP now where I live because it is such a small town, mostly full of elderly people or young kids. They probably don't even know what LARP is.

I've been trying to push a little larping in my group for a few months now. It's practically become a joke around our circle now. Anytime they're bored I'll bring it up, and laughter ensues... Some day they'll take me up on my offer though I'm sure.

At first thought it was stupid too. But then i decded to try it. Now I LOVE it. When I get back from my summer job, I'll have a few days to myself before going larping with the group I play in :3

marorda said:
Time to bump this back up.
I had a larp last weekend, and it was freaking amazing!

It was the first time I was there as a player instead of NPC, and I'm really proud of myself because I managed to cry actual tears when my character's distant cousin laid dying at my feet.
I am heavily into LARP, but I do not go to big conventions or so any rule/point based LARPS. All the ones I do are completely Improv Theatre with a group of 1-5 other people. and it does get very emotional. Ive cried too, its amazing haha.

Im usually out doing it about once per week. and they usually last between 3-6 hours each

There is one story in particular I have been working on. Its been broken into 4 separate stories (with the 4th and final one currently in progress) and I've been doing it since I was a sophomore in high school. (I'm 22 now)

the first story was 7 LARP sessions in length. The second was 24 Sessions. the third was 62 sessions. and the 4th I have lost count, but its well over 150 sessions and is about 2/3rds complete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back