Literature any good addictive books

ysmay

<p>

I have run out of things to read. Any good book suggestions?

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Maximum Ride series, any books by Ellen Hopkins (dark topics, but great reads), The Hunger Games, Maze Runner, The Eye of Minds trilogy, The 5th Wave trilogy (3rd book is coming out this spring), and I'm sure I could think of more if you don't like those options. :P

If you like fantasy, assassins, romance and adventure then check out S.J Maas' Throne of Glass series.

I recommend Dune, but that's a very love/hate series. A Face Of Glass has a pretty good idea and plot, and I also recommend Incarceron and the Inkheart series. I also like (and strongly recommend) the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy series.

It really depends on your taste in books.

I was addicted to Skulduggery Pleasant for ages. It's basically teenagers with magic powers saving the world, necromancers, witches, vampires (not the sexy ones, the ones that will actually tear you apart), zombies, all-powerful gods which can kill people with a thought, people who can walk through walls, creatures that can take over your mind, people who can teleport...it goes on and on.

Also, the titular character is an undead sarcastic skeleton detective who sometimes chucks fire at people. The main protagonist is a teenage girl who becomes really badass over the series. Lots of awesome fight scenes too.

I was addicted to the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus series at one time, but I've finished it.

Currently Reading:

• Shadowhunters - Cassandra Clare

• Ferals - Jacob Gray

• Paladin Prophecy - Mark Frost

• Warrior Cats - Erin Hunter

you might have read some of these but if not i hope you like them

The name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb

the earthsea quartet by Ursula Le Guin

the way of the shadow by Brent Weeks

There is a really good series called Nightworld series and then there is vampire academy then House of Night series. The house of Night Series is really good but it has about 12 books i think in it. They are really good.

As much as some people might make fun of me for (they are meant for a younger audience, after all), I'd say a brilliant book series you should read is Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, if only because of the fact that is puts several writing conventions on its head and changes some things you thought about writing; who said a narrator had to be good at storytelling to tell a story?

Vivification said:
As much as some people might make fun of me for (they are meant for a younger audience, after all), I'd say a brilliant book series you should read is Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, if only because of the fact that is puts several writing conventions on its head and changes some things you thought about writing; who said a narrator had to be good at storytelling to tell a story?
I havent read the series but I have heard that they are pretty good. My brother had the series and he like it.

Vivification said:
I've read the series, and I can certainly back this up. I do love the unique style of writing it employs too, and highly recommend it.

moize said:
you might have read some of these but if not i hope you like them
The name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb

the earthsea quartet by Ursula Le Guin

the way of the shadow by Brent Weeks
This person is brilliant. Listen to this person.

Shadow falls series.

Bad girls dont die trilogy.

The Grapes of Wrath. I love that novel. It perfectly represents the discrimination of human to themselves. It was relevant then and it's relevant now. Ripe with symbolism.

Are you looking for classic literature? Or more modern? I know a few for both

Frankenstein

Lord of the Flies

Brave New World

Night

Of Mice and Men

Day by Day Armaggedon

Maze Runner

Series of Unfortunate Events

Oh! If you're looking for an addictive read, I'd recommend Terry Pratchett's Discworld series! The books are, for the most part, episodic, although there are characters that some of the books follow. It is a fantasy series that makes excellent use of satire, and lovingly shreds and parodies tropes common to fantasy. This, plus an exquisite writing style makes it one of the funniest series I have ever read! In addition to extreme hilarity, it is also often quite poignant, with extremely human characters who manage to touch all the soft spots of being alive (even when these characters are, oh, you know, a Dragon, or Death itself) (Ok also you know what. I'm going to take a moment to gush about Death because I Love Him. He manages to be both painfully human and utterly alien at the same time, because even though he has the presence of a leaden coffin lid slowly closing, an undercurrent of understanding and caring is present in all his interactions with people. He is.. so good..).

You could begin with the first of the series, "The Colour of Magic", although in my opinion it is not really a good indicator for the rest of the series as the characters and plot is not as strong. It is still enjoyable though! If you want instant gratification, though, I'd recommend starting with "Guards! Guards" or "Small Gods".

i'm gonna say tipping the velvet cus this is the only thing i've read recently! it is very good though - it's about lesbians in the 1800s.

Any of the Sigma Force novels by James Rollins... Hell, anything by James Rollins! This man is amazing as blending fact with fiction. And then at the end of most of his books he has a section about what was actually true. And lets just say, fiction is easier to believe than fiction half the time.

Aella said:
If you like fantasy, assassins, romance and adventure then check out S.J Maas' Throne of Glass series.
I totally agree with this series. I read all of them within two weeks.

They're gorgeously wrote, and I absolutely love a flawed female lead.

I think these focus more on the fantasy and assassin aspect, more then the romance though.

It's creatively entwined, but the focus is on the character progression and not on the stuff that goes on between the bed sheets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back