Anime & Manga Anime Recs?

kibou

ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ̀ˋ
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
This ghost needs anime to watch. I just finished binging Re:Zero and honestly it was the most exciting anime i've seen in a while.

But now it's over... I'm left with a void. ( - _ - 

So, I need something new that'll entertain me just as much.

Ideally it would be something in the same vein as Re:Zero- psychological thriller with darker/more mature themes and realistic characters/reactions to events. Like no offense, but usually shonen "power of friendship" shit bugs the hell out of me. Although I prefer seinen, it doesn't necessarily rule shonen out tho so if you think it's good post it anyways.

Rly big plus if the mc happens to comply with that one trope of having some evil power within them, im an absolute sucker for that shit. I can't fucking wait to know more about Subaru's connection to the witch and why Petelguese keeps referring to him as "Pride" and asking what he is. Even bigger plus if there's torture tbh. 

Now to go through a brief list of shit i've either already heard of or already seen that fits this kinda genre so ppl don't recommend them lol-

Attack on Titan

Blue Exorcist (not so much on the psychological aspect, but has the whole ~evil power~ lolol)

Zankyou no Terror

Death Note

Re:Zero 

Legend of the Legendary Heroes (fucking hated it)

Serial Experiments Lain

Deadman Wonderland (also didn't like this)

Mirai Nikki

Tokyo Ghoul 

Ajin

All of Satoshi Kon's work (Paranoia Agent, Paprika, Perfect Blue, etc)

Every Evangelion thing

Higurashi (also hated this)

Parasyte

Psycho Pass

Hellsing

Madoka

All Danganronpa seasons

Monster

Elfen Lied
Another

Death Parade

Steins;Gate

Zetsuen no Tempest

Guilty Crown (I don't think i liked it that much? idr)

Btooom!

I want as many recommendations as possible!! The more, the more likely I am to find something as intriguing as Re:Zero. ( ' v  '

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh. You've seen most of what I would suggest.

Mm, I don't know myself, but I've heard Ergo Proxy is alright. 

There's also Another if you're in to people dying. I enjoyed it, but Idk of everyone would.

Death Parade is alright.

Blood c

Shiki is also okay, I was kind of mad at it for a while though. I probably shouldn't suggest it lol.

Props for Ajin, tthe manga is yeeeeesssss. 

Also, if you need a manga suggestion, you might like Dollie Kill Kill. 

Idk.

Ahh. You've seen most of what I would suggest.

Mm, I don't know myself, but I've heard Ergo Proxy is alright. 

There's also Another if you're in to people dying. I enjoyed it, but Idk of everyone would.

Death Parade is alright.

Blood c

Shiki is also okay, I was kind of mad at it for a while though. I probably shouldn't suggest it lol.

Props for Ajin, tthe manga is yeeeeesssss. 

Also, if you need a manga suggestion, you might like Dollie Kill Kill. 

Idk.

Ah, I gotta add Another and Death Parade to the list of things I've seen. I thought it was alright, but not that great either.

I've heard of Shiki and I saw the first few episodes awhile ago, didn't really get into it though.

I'll check out the other two.

I'm super excited for the second Ajin season omg. I was gonna read the manga but something about the pacing and way the panels are laid out rly bothered me.

Jojo Bizarre Adventure

Koe no Katachi

Anohana

Code Geass (I don't recommend it, personally, but other people say it's good?)

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

GANTZ

Air Gear

D.Gray-Man

Cory In The House (BIG recommendation. Very realistic animation. Good voice acting too.)

Ah, I gotta add Another and Death Parade to the list of things I've seen. I thought it was alright, but not that great either.

I've heard of Shiki and I saw the first few episodes awhile ago, didn't really get into it though.

I'll check out the other two.

I'm super excited for the second Ajin season omg. I was gonna read the manga but something about the pacing and way the panels are laid out rly bothered me.

yesssssss

ahhhhhhhh......Aoi Bungaku? It's pretty neat too, it has a few different story arcs instead of just one simple story-line, but it's only twelve episodes if I remember correctly. It definitely isn't for everyone, and not so much a thriller. A long shot, but worth it if you like it?

EDIT: Oh, and Blood+ and Dance under the Vampire Bund for extra vampire goodness.

Jojo Bizarre Adventure

Koe no Katachi

Anohana

Code Geass (I don't recommend it, personally, but other people say it's good?)

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

GANTZ

Air Gear

D.Gray-Man

Cory In The House (BIG recommendation. Very realistic animation. Good voice acting too.)

boy did u even read my post 

im watchin jojo already you know htis

im not gonna read/watch dgray man because it will never be finished LOL i read some of the manga a few years ago

maybe ill look at the other ones tho lol

Well if you want edgy animes with some thinking involved, I still suggest Cory in The House. Very thriller. Much anime. 

And all 1000 episodes of Detective Conan.

For movies, 5cm Per Second, and Garden of Words. Not really thriller stuff, but more fuzzy, real world stuffs. 

And don't diss the friendship shit of Anohana, that shit is good. Fuckin hide and seek bs.

If you're hunting for mangas, Onani Master Kurosawa is a VERY deep story, despite the opening chapters and the title. Koe no Katachi is also a very hurtful story packed full of low blows right at you. 

I don't know much else about thriller animus/mangas, cuz all of em suck? I guess? Because the protagonist is always never gonna die, obvs, so no point lol. And they always make the worst choices in waifu because Japan taste is ABSOLUTE SHIT. 'Urabito is worst girl in Boku Hero', go fuck yourself, japan. 

Also, GANTZ. Watch it.

I saw a few ones I'd have recommended (BloodC/+, Gantz, Shiki) already mentioned, so I'll add my favorites of the genres you mentioned:

Steins;Gate

Zetsuen no Tempest

Bokurano

Daughters of Mnemosyne

Fate/Zero (I personally think it's the best of the Fate animes by far, but if the overall plot interests you I recommend watching Unlimited Blade Works first...Or Stay Night, if you want to work your way from bottom to top)

Guilty Crown

Btooom!

Gosick (I admit it got a bit too...mushy for me after the first arc, but at the very least that one is solid.)

Shiki is often criticized because of its slow build up, but it gets pretty chaotic later on. It's hard to get a feel of it from just the first episodes, so I'd recommend watching a few more. Also, for the trope, there's...Kotetsujou no Kabaneri. One that isn't among my favorites, but I still think it was alright is Jormungand. Did you try the Full Metal Alchemist ones? If not, they're pretty good too. Hope you like those.

oop, got more to add to my "already watched" list

but thank you for the recommendations :D

Well, there goes 4 of the ones I've watched, 2 of them being my favorite anime of all time. The others are pretty good still, hope you like them.

There's also Darker than Black. Again it's not one of my favorites, but the first season (didn't watch the other ones, the reviews and first episode didn't entice me much) was pretty interesting. 

And forgot to mention that Mnemosyne would be...R-rated. If I remember more things I forgot I'll post again.

Mmmm ever watched Erased or Shinsekai Yori? Both very psychological animes with deeper themes to them. 

Mmmm my personal favorite is this series called Natsume's Book of Friends. It's a little sad towards the beginning since it's about this teenager who's struggled all his life because he could see yokai when no one else can. Which at first leads him to have people thinking he's weird...but it gets better, much better. 

Ah and there's Orange. Very bittersweet anime :') 

Somewhat psychological in the sense of dealing with regrets and suicide.

Mmmm ever watched Erased or Shinsekai Yori? Both very psychological animes with deeper themes to them. 

Mmmm my personal favorite is this series called Natsume's Book of Friends. It's a little sad towards the beginning since it's about this teenager who's struggled all his life because he could see yokai when no one else can. Which at first leads him to have people thinking he's weird...but it gets better, much better. 

Ah and there's Orange. Very bittersweet anime :') 

Somewhat psychological in the sense of dealing with regrets and suicide.

yeah i've seen erased. at first i thought it had rly nice potential but it didn't wow me or anything. and ive read some of the natsume's book of friends manga. but ill keep it in mind.

What streaming service are you using?

i mainly use kissanime because it tends to have most things. but if something isn't on it i dont care if i have to use some other site to watch it. id say im pretty decent at finding places to watch stuff >:3c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back