• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Ancient Deals [closed]

Lucyfer

Said you'd die for me, well -- there's the ground
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Business continued to boom for Decima Pompilius, the woman who made far too many puns with her name. English, after all, saw ‘Decima’ and associated it with ‘Decimate’. It had the same conations in her day, but not quite the same meaning.

Her business had little to do with the army. Modern-world decimation involved lawsuits and social drama, so naturally, she was involved in both. She preferred the media business, and deciding what shows to greenlight. The lawsuit business wasn’t as fun, even if it gave her a reason to introduce herself as a bloodsucker. That’s how lawyers were viewed.

“I’ll be swinging by later tonight,” she was saying as she entered one of the bars she frequented, black heels clicking over the wooden floor. It played at being upscale, but it wasn’t. “I need to get a bit to drink, first.” And alcohol wasn’t exactly on her mind.

Decima could drink alcohol, but it did nothing to her. Human food in general did nothing. She never lied when she introduced herself as a bloodsucker.

The black-haired Roman adjusted her phone near her ear. “I promise it won’t be near 5am again, Reggie.” He hated when she called him that. She didn’t care. “And I won’t drag any unsavories with me.” He really hated that. One time, though, she didn’t have a choice but to drag the hunters that were after her, to him.

Hunters were starting to figure out what she was. It was a problem. Most didn’t look to people like her as vampires—they sought those who prowled the streets and left bodies. Decima never killed—she never left bodies. Really, she didn’t know why hunters bothered to come after her. She wasn’t disturbing anything. “All right, cheers! Oh, do you need me to pick up anything,” she moved to a stool and took a seat.

A few things were listed, “Got it.” And with a click, she hung up, and set her green eyes upon the bartender. She lifted a hand to wave for attention, now that she was done with her call. Alcohol might not do anything, but it looked strange if she didn’t have anything to drink.

~***~

Regal Herst was busy in a bookstore when the call came through, after an announcement that the place would be closing in fifteen minutes. He cursed his luck and answered, “Hello?”

It was Decima, of course. He had expected her call, expected the good news about new advertising partners and the money that was all but being thrown at her. He chuckled a little to himself at her enthusiasm. There were perks to being friends with a vampire—in this case, money. “That’s nice.” He took the book he was debating over into his hands and turned it over, blue eyes skimming it again and again, trying to come up with a reason why he didn’t need it.

Decima continued.

Then she mentioned she’d be coming over. ‘Why?’ No point to asking that. “All right, just try not to be too late. I need to sleep.” No he didn’t, he was a night owl, why was he even saying that? He grabbed the book he’d been debating over and started to walk back towards the registers.

“Please don’t. Your friends aren’t any fun,” he got along with some hunters, but there were others who hated him on principal, because he dealt with the occult. It wasn’t like he’d made any deals with demons—the work he did was purely natural. She started to dismiss herself, then asked a query, “I could use some myrrh, lavender, and basil. And Tulsi basil, nothing else will work, I’ve tried.”

Spell components were annoying.

She agreed, and he smiled. “All right, see ya,” and he hung up. The blond wizard brought the book to the counter, “Just this, please.”

And the cashier scanned it, and he paid with card.

There was something fascinating about the humans. Elara had always been quite enamored by them, as well as jealous. God's favorite little creations had it good on their little tricked out planet under the stars, while she spent most of her days in the firey pits of hell just waiting for the chance to be let loose for a while. Finally, that day had come hundreds of years ago when a Roman woman called upon a demon for help.

Humans never realized how good they had it. They always wanted more. This one wanted eternal life, something Elara had scoffed at at the time. As a thank you for setting her free, she granted the wish, but she made sure to lace it with something wicked; forcing the woman to feed off of human blood for her survival. Eternal youth was granted, but at the cost of her humanity... and her soul.

Now, hundreds of years later, Elara was back. The two were in a contract now, one in which the demon could call upon favors at any time. She'd disappeared for a time, but she was growing discontent with the way things had been and decided that it was time to visit her old acquaintance Decima. Thankfully demons had the uncanny ability to show up in the places you least expected them to, at the times you least wanted.

Sensing the vampire behind her at the bar, the demon grabbed a glass off the wall. Tonight she was playing bartender, and with her sleek red hair, black T-shirt, and mini skirt, she certainly looked the part. She filled the glass with a bit of booze, grabbed a knife and slowly drew a line in her palm with the tip. Tilting her palm down, she watched as her blood mixed with the contents of the glass.

"Here hun," she said, turning and winking at the familiar face as she placed the glass down in front of it. "My specialty drink, made just for you."

~~~~~~~~~~

Eric frequented this particular store a lot, the library too. While most of the literature about the paranormal and supernatural were believed by others to be nothing but good fun, Eric happened to know better. He came from a line of hunters dedicated to eradicating all of the world's evil for the sake of humanity. It was an extremely exclusive, religious group that dated back to the middle ages, and while he'd acquired all sorts of knowledge passed down to him from his father, and his father's father, there was always more to discover.

He was here looking to add to his library collection. He had a hunter friend, who'd recently written a book, and he promised he'd buy it. Technically then, he was here on hunter business, but he wasn't exactly expecting to be hunter duty tonight. Then he overheard the conversation.

The man was talking into a cellphone. If that sort of thing didn't bother him so much, Eric might have missed it, but instead his ears couldn't help but tune into the words. It was a one sided conversation from here, but it didn't matter, because as soon as the man started listed the ingredients, the hunter recognized them as ingredients for a spell.

Slowly, he pushed the book back into its spot on the shelf with a finger, and watched as the mage left the store. Eric waited a moment, then took off after him. Absentmindedly he touched the small cross hanging from a chain around his neck, and whispered a small prayer. A hunter's ritual.

Normally, Decima knew the bartender here. Indeed, the face seemed familiar, but the drink placed before her was too red to be her typical drink. ‘New girl.’ Was the first thought. She considered correcting the girl, but then, what did she care? The drink meant nothing to her anyway.

“Thank—” she cut off abruptly when she brought the glass close to her lips and caught the scent of it.

That was blood, and not just any blood. Demon.

Now she knew why the woman seemed familiar. ‘Great.’ Favor time, at a most inconvenient time.

Did she deny the drink out of spite, now that was the question? ‘No.’ Demon blood was more potent, and tasted far better than human blood. She tilted it back as if it were a shot and then laid a $20 on the bar. “Here, when you have a moment.” Decima removed herself from the bar counter itself to find a table that was a bit out of the ways. They were going to have to talk, and she might have to bring an unsavory to Regal.

A demon. He would be most upset with her.

~***~

Regal’s car was a Buick Regal. It wasn’t by choice, not really. It had been in his price range. He could afford better now, but it had grown on him a bit. He unlocked the doors and threw in his book in the back seat, before noticing someone had followed him out and was approaching. At first, he thought they must own the car next to him, but the figure seemed a bit too focused.

His hand moved to grab the driver’s side door. “Can I help you?” He asked, though he thought he ought to dive into the car and just go, ignore this situation and go about the rest of his night in peace. This only spoke of trouble.

‘Well, at least Decima was my last call.’ That would make it much easier to get her here, if things went south.

He wasn’t sure what he’d done, though. Perhaps the man just wanted advice on where to find good basil? He tried to keep positive thoughts in mind.

Elara just smirked as the recognition took hold on the vampire's face. Yes, it had been a long time since she had gotten to witness that. It was surprising how little Decima had changed over the years, although, she supposed people didn't just loose the air of superiority once they had it.

The demon took the money and slipped it in her pocket. She didn't have much use for human money, but it was one of those things that always baffled her about humanity. The green bill was a worthless piece of paper until people slapped a meaning onto it. She didn't understand why people couldn't just take what they wanted when they wanted. Life would be a lot easier, and it sure would save a lot of people some trouble.

Turning back to the bar, Elara took a glass and a bottle of whiskey before shrugging and just taking the bottle instead. She excused herself from behind the counter. She didn't actually work there anyway, but nobody seemed to question it when she started throwing drinks together earlier.

"Did you miss me?" she asked, finding Decima at the table. She knocked back a bit of the whiskey. "I certainly missed you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eric paused. He hadn't exactly thought any of this through very well, had he? Handling a witch was a lot different than handling a vampire, or any other supernatural creature for that matter. Witches were the most human, and usually it required a little forethought, but now, here he was, following one without any sort of plan for attack.

Well, where there was one, there were usually more, and he glanced down at the license number on the car, silently committing it memory. There was a chance this man might lead him to more. Besides, it wasn't like he could just kill this guy here and now without some ignorant passerby calling the police and getting him arrested for murder.

So, Eric took out his car keys from his pocket and shrugged. "I just noticed your car. I've been thinking about getting one of those myself, but I'm stuck with that crappy lemon over there until I get a raise." He nodded to a random car a few spots over. It wasn't actually his, although it could have been. His own car wasn't much better.

Decima did not have to wait long. The demon made her own way in the world, as she always had, playing by no rules but her own. Decima did not have that sort of freedom, despite her age and her wealth. There were many rules she could break, but it always came with a risk.

At the question of whether or not she missed Elara, she just smirked. There was no correct answer to that. No would be closer to the truth, but not entirely. The taste of demon’s blood was still fresh on her tongue, after all. There were good things about Elara. Not many.

She had tricked Decima into this life, for which Decima was eternally ungrateful, “I’m flattered, really,” Decima answered the comment, but asked, “But let us cut to the chase. What is it you want of me?” There was always something. Elara never came up just to chat. Her wants were usually much more dangerous than that.

$20 wouldn’t cut it, either.

~***~

Regal’s relief was evident, “Oh, this?” He looked back at his Buick, then to the interested party, “It drives good. It’s lasted me about six years now. Buick makes a pretty solid vehicle, and it’s local, so the parts are cheaper to repair it.” Not that it had broken much on him, but the times it did, he was grateful he didn’t have a Volkswagen or Nissan.

He added, “You can probably find a pretty cheap old one on Craigslist. Even with over 100k miles, it does well.” He was sounding like a salesman, wasn’t he? He should stop that.

He pulled the car door open. “I gotta get going. I hope you have a good night,” he said, before he slipped into the driver’s seat.

Elara just grinned. Of course Decima wasn't happy to see her. She'd turned the poor woman into a vampire, but really, what did she expect to happen? When people make deals with demons they have to realize there will always be a catch. How everybody failed to realize that was beyond Elara's comprehension.

"You and I have all of eternity," she said as Decima asked her to cut to the chase. "Why are you in such a rush to get every moment over with? Just slow down. Enjoy it. That's what you wanted, wasn't it?" She winked, then took another big swig of the alcohol. It didn't do much for her either, but she liked the premise of it.

Now, why was she here? If she was being honest it was mostly because she was bored, and Decima was quite fun to play with. There were other motives too, but most of it would come in good time. Elara knew some of Decima's connections, and she planned on exploiting them all.

"Well, since you ask so kindly," she said, "We can start by getting me a place to stay."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Eric smiled and nodded. It was always so strange how conversations with the supernatural could go so normally. It was the ultimate disguise. If you looked human, worked like a human, and otherwise behaved like a human, nobody suspected anything. Vampires, ghosts, demons, witches were all folklore and ghost stories these days. It was a good thing there were still small groups of hunters like himself to keep the balance.

"I'll look into it," Eric said, bidding the witch a good night. He watched the car out of the corner of his eye as he seemed to go about his way. When the buick disappeared around the corner, he dashed for his own car and got inside.

As he started the engine up and buckled his seatbelt he called his hunter friend. The call went directly to voice mail, so he decided to leave a message. "Hey, it's Eric. Listen, I've come across a witch while I was out tonight and thought I might have a lead on something. I'm going to follow him. If you don't hear from me by morning, something probably happened. I'm currently at the bookstore, I'll update you in a bit."

“This time moves faster than in the past,” Decima noted. With how fast information traveled, Decima had to be just as quick in order to stay ahead, stay rich, and survive in wealth. Perhaps one day it would slow down so that she did not have to live this way, but that was not now.

In the past, she simply couldn’t settle down because of the resources. Hunting for blood was more difficult—now, if she needed it, there were blood bags. She always had access to a few. Obtaining wealth required more work. People needed more monitoring.

There was no rest for the wicked. With the comment of wanting a place to stay, Decima asked, “Are you going to behave so I can get you a hotel, or do I need to have a room cleaned in my home for you?” Decima wasn’t sure if she’d prefer that anyway. She could keep an eye on the demon if she was staying in the same location.

~***~

Regal drove on to his home, a small place near the suburbs. He wasn’t in the suburbs, but he was not in the city, and he had land. That had always been important—he wanted land so that he could garden. He also didn’t have to worry about apartment neighbors or the chaos that came with that kind of living.

Apartments wouldn’t let him keep an athame, no matter how many times he told them it was for religious purposes.

He parked his car in the driveway and unlocked the door. He locked it right after he entered, and was not greeted by his cat—as usual. He found the white and orange thing lounging in his chair. “Hello, Cream,” full name was Orange Cream, but he rarely used the full name.

Naturally, it didn’t wake. It didn’t wake until he picked it up and set it on the floor so he could have the chair. He turned on the light to read his newly acquired book and set his phone nearby so he’d be able to notice it if someone called.

Orange Cream jumped into his lap and naturally, tried to find the perfect pose that made reading difficult for Regal.

"Why would I want to stay in a hotel when I can have the luxury of living in your place with you?" Elara said. The way she saw it, she half owned it anyway. She was half the reason Decima had all that she had, after all. Besides, it was more fun to watch her squirm from being in close quarters, and just as the vampire wanted to keep an eye on the demon, the demon knew she had to keep a close on Decima, lest she try to wiggle her way out of the contract.

She needed this contract to stay in play.

"You might as well copy a key for me while you're at it," she added after a moment. "I might be staying for a while." What she wanted to accomplish wouldn't be easy. As far as she knew, there'd been no success of it so far. The closest a demon could get to being a human was possession, but Elara already possessed a physical form of her own, one she had obtained when Decima first called upon her.

~~~~~

Eric managed to follow Regal, always staying a few cars behind him at a time. It was a skill he'd been forced to acquire over the years, if he wanted to survive in this world for long. There were one too many horror stories of hunters being found out by the hunted, and they never had happy endings.

He pulled up to the curb when he noticed the man get out. He watched as he went inside. So far he was just running on hunches, so there was a real possibility that the man wasn't actually anything but human, but Eric would need more proof if that were the case.

Leaning back in his seat, he dialed the number on his phone again. "It's me again," he said. "I'm still following my lead." He read off the address of the house and prepared to sit here for a while.

It was what Decima wanted, and what she least wanted all at once. It was good to keep an eye on the demon, but she could only imagine how frustrating it would get when she tried to do her own business during the various hours of the day. “Very well,” she spoke calmly. Getting a second key would be necessary. At least those were easy to make nowadays. She didn’t even have to talk to anyone, she just went right up to a machine.

If she thought about it, it was actually too easy.

“Since you seem inclined to keep the truth from me, let’s go have that key made and run a few errands.” Decima didn’t wait for the demon to agree. She rose from her seat and started for the door of the bar.

She did take out her phone, though, and shot a quick text to Regal.

Getting supplies.

Bringing Eisheth.

Regal and she had developed plenty of terms to explain things to each other when being watched. Eisheth was a figure of Jewish mythology, who had come to mean ‘demon’ between the two, and not a good one.

With luck, Regal would set up a trap at the entryway that Elara would walk right into.

~***~

Regal’s phone buzzed before he got far in his reading. He sighed and glanced at it. As expected, Decima. He read the four words and offered only a:

See you soon.

Then, he got up, and walked into his kitchen to sort through his supplies and find salt. Of all the ridiculous things that worked on demons, salt was one of them. They could cross a simple salt line, of course. Salt in certain forms did have ways of locking demons in place, though. ‘Well, if it is a demon and not a fallen angel.’ That could get complicated.

He walked to his doormat and lifted it up. He had many of the Keys of Solomon memorized, and so he poured the salt out into the image of one meant to trap demons to a spot, and covered it back up. It took several minutes. The letters were difficult to get just right in salt, after all, and one grain off meant the trap wouldn’t work.

Elara had expected more of a fight from Decima, but it was all the same to her. She was sure that before too much longer the tension between the vampire and herself would be boiling. Getting the vampire to comply with her demands was not going to be easy once she learned about her true motives, but well, there was really no other way to go about this. The time was now or it might as well be never.

The thing was, Elara had spent the half a million years having a love-hate relationship with humanity. Humans were both the most heavenly and the most evil of things, but that was the very thing about them that fascinated her so much. Free will. It was everything she had ever longed for, and it was what got her kicked out of heaven in the end. Now she was doomed to an immortal life as a servant of the devil. Either you were loyal to God, or you were loyal to his opposition. However, Elara didn't want to be loyal to anybody.

"It will be just like old times," she said, grinning sideways at Decima. "We can even throw a party to celebrate our reunion. How does that sound?" Elara certainly did love a party. Especially lavish ones.

~~~~~~~

Eric had turned on the radio at a low volume to pass the time. The sound of Sinatra was all there was to drown out the static of the quiet neighborhood. There was just something about the oldies classics that appealed to the hunter and made these times of waiting less dull.

Humming along, he leaned the drivers seat back far, making himself comfortable for the night. He was just digging out an old magazine when he noticed the front door of the house the mage had gone in not too long before. He stopped mid lyric and straightened in his seat, leaning in to try and catch whatever it was that the man was doing.

Was that... salt? That was certainly strange. Salt was a normalcy in spells, but he wasn't understanding what a witch would be doing laying it out on his front step for. So he leaned closer, trying to get a better view at a better angle. A demon's trap? Now this was weird. What would he be trying to catch a demon for?

“No.”

Decima knew her immediate declination of a party at her home, meant that one would end up being thrown. And then she’d have to burn the house with everyone in it. ‘And move.’ Because that’s what happened in today’s age of technological wonders. Information spread quickly. She couldn’t just burn something and continue on as if nothing happened, oh no. She’d have to get a whole new identity, too.

Perhaps she wouldn’t burn the house, but she would ruin any and all parties in a way that would displease Elara. It was what Elara would want.

‘Just like old times.’

Except now Decima had a car, “That one,” Bentley, of course, because screw subtlety. “Take shotgun,” Elara would drive over her dead body. With a click of a button, the car unlocked, and Decima slid into the driver’s side. If Elara got in, and got buckled up, she’d say, “I have a friend who has one of my spare keys now, so we’ll get you his key, then I’ll arrange to have one made for you later.” During proper business hours. As convenient as those key-making machines were, Decima didn’t trust them.

If all went well, Decima would start the car, and drive off with the demon towards Regal’s house.

He’d been fairly warned. She’d get his ingredients later.

Elara just chuckled quietly and shook her head. "That's too bad," she said. "Because I already planned one." The guest list was long and full of random friends and acquaintances she'd made over the years. Some were human, some were other supernatural beings. They were all people she'd made some dealings with in the past, and they all loved a party. It was going to be fun to mess with Decima again, and she looked forward to the look on her face when she saw all those people packed tightly in her home.

The demon wandered over to the Bentley, pausing a second to admire the paint job. "Nice ride," she complimented, dragging a finger over the shiny coat. Humans did invent the strangest things sometimes, but it was certainly a step-up from the horse and buggy days. She liked the speed of modern day cars, especially the expensive ones. Decidedly she'd buy one of her own someday, but for now she was content with taking whatever Decima had.

She quickly downed the rest of her drink and tossed the empty bottle to the side. She listened for the shatter of it breaking on the concrete a few feet away before climbing into the passenger's side of the car.

She waited until Decima joined her in the car before turning to her and giving her a sly grin. "A friend? Or a friend?" she asked, implying that there was more to it than just a friendship. If he had a spare key it must mean he came over quite often. "I wouldn't want to intrude on any... business you two have together."

Decima held in her anger at the demon’s talk of this party. It wouldn’t happen, of course. She’d never allow it. ‘All the things they’d break.’ So many things gathered over the years, some as old as her. She still kept her family’s lares, after all.

Once in the car, the demon just had to make matters worse, “No, just a friend,” she keyed the ignition, “I’m certain I’ve complained to you before about the impossibility of having a love life with a human.” Not impossible, but indeed, difficult. The bite stirred passion that had become so strongly associated with the passions of intimacy, that not biting a human when caught in the throes of such pleasure was a task that ultimately killed the joys of sexual relations.

Those few humans she’d been able to build such a relationship with were few and far between, and like any human, had too short a lifespan. Not to mention the couple she’d kill on accident in her early years. “Regal is one of those reliable sources of blood,” a good enough reason to have a key, though not the full reason. She didn’t intend to reveal that he was a witch, though.

She pulled around the corner and couldn’t help but notice the stranger parked on the curb. She knew Regal’s neighborhood well enough, and she’d never seen the car. Her instinct was usually quite good, so she made a note of the vehicle, and its passenger, before pulling into Regal’s drive. She made a motion for Elara to get out before she did so and walked right to the door.

She knocked their pattern of five sounds. “Come in,” she tried the knob but found it locked. A roll of her eyes, and she produced the key to his home—she at least wasn’t lying. She and Regal did have keys to each other’s houses. So, she unlocked the door, and stepped in, hoping that Elara would have trouble doing the same.

“Sorry about the drop-by,” she said as the man looked up from his new book on herbs.

“It’s all right,” he answered.

Elara could understand the complications of romantics when it came to humans. As an immortal, she faced the same difficulty. Fortunately, though, she had never had much interest in long-term relationships. Some of the other angels had fallen for their foolishness of being in love with humans, and she had seen what became of them and their lovers. It was something she would rather avoid altogether. Love was a weakness. It wasn't worth the price.

"I never said anything about love, dear," Elara said slowly. "But it sounds like he's a friend of another sort of benefit." To hear that made her slightly upset, if only because she thought it was cheating the system. Part of the whole reason for turning her into a vampire was that she'd have to deal with harming innocent people. To find somebody who was willing to give up their blood for her was a cop-out. Living an eternity alone wasn't enough, seeing as Decima wanted eternal life regardless.

They pulled up to the house and the demon followed the other woman to the door. She was unaware of the trap beneath the doormat, of Regal's talent as well. What the other two didn't know however, was that a demon trap would have no affect on her. Though demon by status, she was angel by blood.

So, Elara stepped into the door with ease, first looking around the entryway, then towards the stranger. She smiled at him before approaching, reaching out her hand in greeting. "Decima, don't you want to introduce me to your friend?"

Eric turned the music down when he noticed the two women pull up next to the house. He was unsure what was going on, but he knew enough to know that there was in fact something. The man hadn't set up a spell for nothing. Judging by the fact he'd hidden it from sight, he could assume it was a trap. But what sort of trap? And for what purpose?

Either it was meant for one of them or there were more coming.

He needed to get a closer look, but how was he going to do that without getting caught? He was alone, with no backup, no way to protect himself. What he really needed to figure out was what was underneath that doormat. He could wait until they left... but who knew what would happen between now and then.

"Damn..." he whispered. This wasn't the type of job hunters took up alone.

When Elara was able to walk into the house, Decima visibly tensed. Regal did not, though. ‘So, fallen angel.’ Unless Decima honestly had no idea what she was dealing with, but Regal doubted that. It was more likely she didn’t know the differences all that well, and any crafty angel or demon wouldn’t let the truth on to a threat.

Regal didn’t rise in greeting, but accepted the hand with a firm grip. Decima found her voice, “This is Regal. Regal, this is Elara.”

“Charmed,” he said. Certainly, the form the angel took was pleasing enough to charm many, but Regal had little plans of being drawn in by a pretty face right then. He set his book aside. He’d play this off as if nothing had happened. Decima was giving no indication that the matter was severe. “I don’t suppose you had time to grab what I wanted, did you?”

Decima didn’t, of course, “No. I’ll try tomorrow. Her appearance was a bit unexpected.”

Regal smiled, “Old friends, she tells me.” He stood up, “So what did you need me for?”

“Your spare key.”

Regal frowned, but didn’t argue. That would mean Decima would be back around tomorrow, or he’d be going to her place. She wouldn’t long want him without a key, considering that benefit. He dug his keys out of his pocket, and quickly detached the key to Decima’s place and offered it out to Elara.

Elara emitted a sly sideways grin towards Regal. She ought to invite this one to the welcome party. There was something about him that she could sense, and just glancing down at the book he had his nose in a moment before, made it very easy to recognize that he possessed some talents. Of course, if he was a friend of Decima's, he'd be equally fun to use for her own amusements and games that had little to do with business and more to do with fun. Of course, that was also a reason to keep a watchful eye on him in case Decima intended to use him to pull one over on her.

"Old friends indeed," she said. "We go way back. Don't we, Decima?" The truth was Elara simultaneously knew a lot about Decima's deepest fears and desires due to their little piece of shared history, and what certain advantages she could gain from manipulating her, but little else beyond that. She really didn't care that much. She was a selfish being.

Reaching out, she took the key. She admired it for a moment before sticking it in the only available place she could; her bra. Elara was a light traveler.

"Thank you," she remarked. "We're throwing a party tomorrow night. You should come. You can be the guest of honor for allowing me to borrow your key. Maybe put on a little magic show for us?" she gestured towards the book. She needed to see what sort of talent this man possessed before she decided if he was going to be helpful for her.

“Yes,” Decima responded to Elara’s words of how they went way back. Regal would learn soon enough. Unfortunately. The placement of the key caused Decima to shake her head—of course the demon wouldn’t have pockets. Regal’s eyes certainly followed its placement. It was enough to want to slap him. ‘You’ve already failed me today. You’ll be lucky to get your ingredients.’

Decima, however, stiffened. “We are not having—”

“—a party?” Regal looked enthused. Actually, the thought was hilarious, and he saw the glare that Decima sent his way, indicating to him she knew ways of torture far worse than death.

As she’d told a hunter once, to Decimate was to destroy 1/10th of something.

That hunter wasn’t dead. He was a mute quadriplegic. To say he caught Decima on a bad day would have been an understatement. “I don’t do that kind of magic,” he chuckled at the implications, “but I’d be happy to attend.”

Decima was clearly livid, “It’ll be fun to have a welcoming party, won’t it?” He wanted to indicate to her that he could use this to their advantage, but he couldn’t say as much.

He supposed it was good that Decima didn’t understand. “Who are you even inviting on such short notice?” Decima asked at last, speaking through gritted teeth. The people that Elara likely knew were not friends of Decima’s. Old vampires she was trying to avoid, other demons, and god knew what other sorts of creatures. Hunters? She wouldn’t put it by Elara.

"I know," Elara winked towards Regal when he mentioned he didn't do party magic. Her eyes flicked to the book he'd been reading. She had some power of her own, but if she could get what she wanted with her own abilities, then she would have gotten it a long time ago. She needed extra help to accomplish this, and if his talents proved to be powerful, then she could recruit him. Whether he willingly lent her his powers or not would be up to him, but she would get it regardless of his cooperation.

Elara stepped away from the table, both of the others included, and began to walk around the room. She surveyed every detail. The colors, the pictures, the texture of the wall. She stopped by a shelf, curiously noting the small decorative touches. One thing she'd noticed over the years was how little men seemed to care about the homey comforts compared to women. It was a fairly universal male trait, where men were much simpler creatures. It was just one thing on her list of fascinating human quirks.

"Oh, poor, naive, Decima," she stated, running her finger along the shelf. A small layer of dust came off on her finger. She'd been planning this party for weeks now; all the potential help she needed would be under one roof. She just had to do the final selections. "I've already invited all the important people. You probably don't know most of them. I know you don't get out much."

She turned, strutting her way back to the table, which she leaned against with palms flat on the surface. "Don't worry, though. It's going to be very exclusive. I only invited about a hundred people. Plus you, me, and now Regal, of course."

So long as Decima didn’t know most of them, she’d actually feel a bit better. It might mean the vast majority were demons, but she could deal with that. ‘Just one night.’ She didn’t like it at all, and she glared at Regal for even consenting to the idea.

He gave an apologetic smile. “I suppose a hundred people would be exclusive for people like yourself,” after all, people who were as old, or older, than Decima tended to know quite a few people. Decima would never have a party with so many people, since she’d consider that far too many to be exclusive. “Is it formal dress?” Regal inquired, “Or can I wear just whatever I like?”

He saw Decima roll her eyes. He bet she was hoping it was a formal occasion. Anything else would likely mean a chaotic environment of over-drinking. Such a thing would draw unwanted attention, perhaps not immediately, but eventually. No doubt, most of the guests were the sorts of things a hunter would love to hunt.

Elara looked towards Regal, her eyes wondering over him, or at least the parts of what she could see of him while he sat at the table. "I would say it's definitely better to show up under-dressed than overdressed," she said with a grin. While she did enjoy wearing the occasional cocktail dress, casual parties were always more fun. Most of her friends would agree, and probably to the dismay of Decima, who would have to deal with the aftermath of all the chaos.

Tearing her eyes away from the man, she regarded Decima once more. Although the vampire owed her a great deal, Elara knew better than to underestimate her. However long it took to get what she wanted, she would need to keep a close eye Decima, and her new witch acquaintance. Their power and resources were something she needed, but unfortunately those were also things that could backfire on her. Hopefully she had enough tricks up her sleeve to keep her in line.

"I hope you'll try to enjoy yourselves," she said to both of them. "The party starts at eight. Decima, shall we go? I'm tired from my travels." She didn't wait for an answer before she started towards the door, but she turned back for a moment to smile at Regal. "It was nice meeting you, hon. I hope you and I will have to chance to get to know each other much better before I leave."

“Good,” Regal gave a sigh of relief at the information, “I don’t think I’d have time to get my suit to the dry cleaners and be there,” he said, earning another scowl from Decima.

The announcement of the timing was made, and Regal could see that Decima was truly trying to hold herself back from snapping the fallen angel’s throat. No doubt, she knew it wouldn’t work, or she would have already done it. She wasn’t someone who took commands well. If Regal had learned anything, it was that. “Yes, we can go,” Decima said. Regal wondered briefly if she might burn down her house to spite the demon, and then cast the thought aside.

‘Not fire, anyway.’

God knew what sort of disaster might happen if she really wanted out of the party, though. “Have a good night, Regal,” she bid, and turned right on her heel and towards the door, opening it far too fast. It slammed against the wall of his house as she strode out and back to her car.

Regal didn’t waste his breath to bid her good night, too, but nodded to Elara, “I’ll be there. I look forward to getting to know you, as well.” Though he doubted that would occur. He’d have to make preparations to catch a fallen angel now. Well, hopefully he could stick around after the party proper. It’d be far too difficult during the actual event itself, with all of Elara’s allies present. “Have a good night.”

Elara rolled her eyes at Decima's dramatic exit. There was nobody she had ever met who was so uptight. Well, except for maybe a few of the angels she used to pal around with before her fall. There were more killjoys in heaven than anywhere else, that was for sure, but Decima could definitely fit in with the best of them.

"Well, it's a good thing I showed up. Somebody looks like she could loosen up a little, huh?" Elara said towards Regal as she opened the door back up to make her exit. "See you tomorrow night, then." She said, stepping out and closing the door behind her. For a moment, she paused, looking down at the doormat, for she noticed a bit of the salt spilling out the sides. Her eyes narrowed slightly, as she contemplated the meaning of it. Had they tried to trap her? If so, she would have to keep a closer eye on them than she originally thought.

"Decima, dear," she said, making her way towards the car. "I would advise you that whatever it is you two are up to, to end it now. It won't work, and believe me, you do not want to make me your enemy." Her tone was oddly warm for such a threat, but it had always been the way Elara addressed things.

Decima could play ignorant very well. She had to, after all, and so the look on her face showed the necessary amount of confusion, before she said, “I see your paranoia remains constant.” It wasn’t the first time she’d faced that accusation, nor would it be the last. Obviously, Elara had never proven that Decima was conspiring against her, or already Elara would have made good on that threat of hers.

She slid into the driver’s seat. “Regal’s house is warded in general,” she said as she slid the key into the ignition and started the car only after Elara was in. “He’s had to change some of his wards up to allow me entrance,” which would be bad if another vampire ever found out about him, but Decima would see to it their neck was snapped before they so much as touched the witch.

“So, who have you invited, and is my attendance mandatory?” Decima was half-tempted to find reasons to be absent and just let them destroy the home. She could move out everything of importance before then. She would still work on that. U-Hauls were cheap enough.

Elara frowned. At times she was sure that she was in fact being paranoid, but it was better to be paranoid and prepared than overconfident and unprepared. There weren't too many playing on the side of the demons and the fallen. She had to watch her back against a multitude of different people.

"Who said anything about a ward?" the woman said slyly, leaning back into the seat of the car. "I suppose it doesn't really matter, anyway. You'd be foolish to try and pull one over on me. I know you don't much care for what I did to you, but I did give you what you wanted. Remember that it can just as easily be ripped away."

With that reminder, Elara turned her attention back to the party. It was bound to be everything that Decima hated; big, chaotic, noisy, and fun. Although it was her intention to enjoy herself, and laugh at Decima trying to maintain sane in the process, it was primarily a test, and the perfect gathering of the people she needed to round up.

"Of course you have to be there," she said. "It's your house. As for the guest list... it's long. It would take me ages to go through it all with you. You don't know most of them, anyway. Although... I suppose you might know Alden. He's quite well known." Alden had been another one of the various people Elara had once struck a deal with. He too, had wanted immortality, but he hadn't suffered quite the same fate as Decima had.

“Your underestimation of my knowledge is rather disheartening, Elara,” Decima noted when the demon failed to provide any names, save one. Alden. Yes, she certainly knew of Alden. She suspected there would be others that she knew of. She didn’t care much if she knew them personally. A list would allow her to look them up and find out their reputations, if nothing else.

Soon enough, though, she pulled into the garage before her home. It was only three floors, glass and marble, white. The style of the house was Roman in nature, too. There was a courtyard, an atrium, and much else. It was a house meant to be seen by others, but it rarely was. The atrium and courtyard were dangerous things for a vampire to have, since they let the sun in, but they were always open.

There was the option to lock up the house with metal blinds, though, and she did that to the windows every morning before dawn, to keep from being burned to a crisp. “This is the place, though you already knew that,” Decima noted and stepped out of her vehicle.

She walked through the gate, unlocked the door, and walked right into the house. The decorations were sparse, and came from across the world and across time. Decima had seen the world in her time, after all, and all guests needed to know the sort of woman they were dealing with.

Yet, very few items were of importance. Decima walked right to a shrine, the lararium of her family, and took the images of the old gods into her hands. Those would be packed away first and put into storage while this party raged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back