• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

An "Official Unnofficial RPN Discord Server"?

Faltasey

Temporal Aurielian Guard
So I asked around to see if RPN has a Discord server, and I heard that it was deleted because of unspecified reasons.

I would like to propose and ask if I could create a Discord server for RPN. I have plenty of experience running public Discord servers as a server mod and as a server owner. Of course, definitely not more than 2000 people, but there's always a first time for everything. Also, I know a bunch of good bots that are super helpful, and, a couple of people on RPN who are also willing to help run it. (And, I could allow more to help out if they want) 

This is just a question, as someone told me to post it in site suggestions, so I guess that's here. 

I think it would be really cool to have an RPN Discord, as Discord is a place I go pretty much everyday, as well as RPN. 

(Gonna try to tag admins here, don't know if that's allowed, sorry if it isn't @The Dark Wizard @Captain Hesperus @Ghan @Gilzar @Kaerri )

Just yesterday you were asking me how to do basic server tasks and then copied my change log once I implemented it on mine.

It was deleted due to harassing and other moderation issues that couldn't be prevented (such as they being in PMs.)

So, I seriously doubt this would be allowed. You can create a server and invite friends and people to it, but I can't be advertised for publicly and claiming to be associated with the site directly.

Im not a mod so I could just be talking out of my ass, feel free to correct me.

Just yesterday you were asking me how to do basic server tasks and then copied my change log once I implemented it on mine.

Correction, I was asking you because I was on mobile. Mobile is confusing to

me, ok, don't judge. And I didn't take credit for your copy log, as it's still something you did. I only borrowed the idea.

Correction, I was asking you because I was on mobile. Mobile is confusing to

me, ok, don't judge. And I didn't take credit for your copy log, as it's still something you did. I only borrowed the idea.

You didn't give anybody credit.

If this was made official, it would probably have to have a warning for stuff mods can't control. Even then, Discord does still have a block function and there are bots that can moderate to an extent while mods are gone.

It was deleted due to harassing and other moderation issues that couldn't be prevented (such as they being in PMs.)

So, I seriously doubt this would be allowed. You can create a server and invite friends and people to it, but I can't be advertised for publicly and claiming to be associated with the site directly.

Im not a mod so I could just be talking out of my ass, feel free to correct me.

Were the mods and admins of RPN  the only people keeping order on the server? Because if so, that isn't really a good idea. Especially with how many people I'd assume we're in that server, as for harassment, that's everywhere, it can't be stopped, luckily however, you can block people on Discord, which should help. 

(Sorry if I sounded like an ass btw, sometimes I try to type too much and fuse it in one post)

[SIZE= 16px]EDIT: Also, some bots have the [/SIZE][SIZE= 16px] ability to ban words, and temporarily moderate while other moderators on the server can't do just that. That's just an example of what some bots can do, there's plenty of others. [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
If RpN ever had a return of a Discord server, it would be run by Staff, not by users. I cannot imagine that we would ever do otherwise.

If you would like to make suggestions as to how moderation could be increased on a Discord server, however, that would be welcome.

If RpN ever had a return of a Discord server, it would be run by Staff, not by users. I cannot imagine that we would ever do otherwise.

If you would like to make suggestions as to how moderation could be increased on a Discord server, however, that would be welcome.

That is pretty sad, considering the one ran by only staff didn't last(I would say long but I don't know how long it lasted so the word isn't really valid.)

Not trying to be an ass, but letting staff AND users who want to help run the server(as long as they have experience running servers) would actually increase the effectiveness of keeping order. Of course you have those people that get out of hand, as it's on Discord and not on RPN, Discord can also have more lax rules, as again, it isn't RPN. 

That and plenty of bots that can do the hard work for you, or, if you're a technical person, creating a bot could be an idea, but that stuff is really advanced so I dunno how that works exactly. 

(Sorry for the passive agressiveness btw, not intentional.)

Last edited by a moderator:

I see the points, but as I said, the problem seemed to be no incentive, and only staff being the server moderators. If the server was run by both Users and Staff, it would mean Staff can focus on the site more than the server, as the site is more important anyways. 

Some other points he mentioned also seem pretty decent, but like the harassment thing, can easily be avoided by banning words and users having the ability to block users. 

How would the server even be organized though?

Would it basically just be interest checks since ultimate the RP would be on here?

Would it basically just be interest checks since ultimate the RP would be on here?

Well sort of. I was thinking it would just be a general discussion server since all the RPs are here, there would be rooms from anything to games to memes. Also, it could be used as an interest check format, but it would be slightly limited. 

It'd be for chatter, actually! Chat services are wonderful for a sense of community.

What you have to understand, @Unbound, is that RpN is under legal compulsion to maintain certain standards for our community, and investing any user who has any experience running a Discord server (hint: lots of people) with the authority to maintain that is an enormously bad idea. There is a reason mods and admins are chosen as carefully as they are.

Bots may well be helpful.

It'd be for chatter, actually! Chat services are wonderful for a sense of community.

What you have to understand, @Unbound, is that RpN is under legal compulsion to maintain certain standards for our community, and investing any user who has any experience running a Discord server (hint: lots of people) with the authority to maintain that is an enormously bad idea. There is a reason mods and admins are chosen as carefully as they are.

Bots may well be helpful.

You have a point, but Discord isn't RPN, and the legal stuff can be easily taken care of. Rules will be posted, enforced, and maintained. 

Letting some experienced users help run it isn't actually a bad idea, because there isn't enough staff to maintain and run the server smoothly, and they aren't going to be on all the time anyways, so having users that help WOULD actually help. 

You have a point, but Discord isn't RPN, and the legal stuff can be easily taken care of. Rules will be posted, enforced, and maintained. 

Letting some experienced users help run it isn't actually a bad idea, because there isn't enough staff to maintain and run the server smoothly, and they aren't going to be on all the time anyways, so having users that help WOULD actually help. 

But it's associated with RPN.

At this point it really sounds like you're begging for a staff position. In my opinion anyway.

No, see, that's the thing. If we have a Discord server, it is associated with RPN, and thus we are legally liable for things that happen on Discord. Please do not talk about the law like that if you don't know about it.

Staff has heard your suggestion and will discuss. C:

But it's associated with RPN.

At this point it really sounds like you're begging for a staff position. In my opinion anyway.

Which is why it can be approved by staff. 

And no, I'm not.(that made me chuckle) I don't have time for that kind of stuff. 

No, see, that's the thing. If we have a Discord server, it is associated with RPN, and thus we are legally liable for things that happen on Discord. Please do not talk about the law like that if you don't know about it.

Staff has heard your suggestion and will discuss. C:

You're kind of assuming I don't know what kind of Legal stuff we're talking about, I do, I know what isn't and is supposed to go on RPN. So anything that isn't supposed to go on RPN, wouldn't go on the Server. 

I know theres some more legal stuff that goes into it that I'm not fully aware of, but I assume what I said is apart of it. And thanks for hearing me out :)

Thanks for the suggestion, but so far we haven't found any solution for the issues we've had in the past (namely, not enough mods and too many users who take advantage of that).  Bots may assist to some degree, but we'd really need a mod there 24/7, and that's just not practical for us.  Not to mention that unless there's a mod in every voice channel all the time, there'd be no way to enforce our rules there because there'd be no way to prove any rulebreaking.  Any site, program, chat, app, whatever that has the RpN name on it is associated with us and we are responsible for what goes on there.

Now, if you want to create your own Discord server and invite people you've met here, and/or allow them to invite people they've met here, that's up to you.  Just don't call it official, unofficial, or anything with our name on it.  And please remember not to give out contact info here publicly (in PMs is fine).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back