• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

An Alliance in Tanaan

Insects buzzed in the thick, muggy air of the jungle as plumes of smoke hung over head, wafting through the trees. The oppressive humidity -compounded by fel fire and gunpowder- made comfort almost impossible to obtain. Fighting could be heard echoing in the distance, from every direction, yet there were no clear views of it. The jungle was vast, and the fighting took place far away from the no man's land between Volmar and Lion's Pride, with only retreating orcs occasionally using the iron road separating the two outposts.

Despite the grim and somber atmosphere of this Light-forsaken jungle, Belenara couldn't help but smile and sigh in delight as she plopped down at the foot of a tree to rest. The elf, her lynx, and their human companion had been scouting for hours, and the rest was well deserved. Plus it provided a great view of the area.

"You know, it takes a lot for an elf to get tired of being on their feet, I don't know how you've kept up so well," the elven girl stated, a teasing note to her voice at the human's expense.

"I'm already used to long work hours in unusual environments. I'll be sure to warn you when I start to feel some discomfort, though." Lillic's voice was faintly muffled by the black facemask she wore, but she made up for it by speaking up and settling down close to Belenara, leaning her head against the tree.

In truth, Lillic had passed plain 'discomfort' long ago. She was practically soup inside of her armor, and her feet were protesting the amount of time she'd spent sneaking around. Some would say she was being paranoid by lying, but the rogue hadn't made her living off of trusting random Horde agents. If worst came to worst, she'd remove some of her armor and sneak around on her own skill instead of supplemented by stealth enhancements.

As a member of Stormwind's prestigious SI:7, Lillic Sherwood was granted a special kind of recon suit called the Shadow Skin to complete her exploration of the Tanaan. The suits were usually given to SI:7 Commandoes and Field Agents because it sets the best balance between stealth and armor for agents involved in combat.

There was a problem with the suit, however, temperature regulation.

All the leather and enchantments of the armor made the agents damn near imperceptible when they wanted to be, but in the humid jungle Lillic was in serious danger of overheating. So she had lowered the hood to the suit hours ago, despite knowing just how much the bright red of her hair could give her away. The next to go was the mottled green and brown cloak, followed by the leather gloves.

But the elf didn't need to know that, best let her continue to believe that Lillic was doing fine.

Belenara hummed in acknowledgment of the woman's statement, her hands running through her lynx's fur. The temperature of the jungle was ungodly, especially for one used to the cooler climate of Eversong. She thanked the Eternal Sun, and every other deity she could name, that the Farstriders had perfected leatherworking long ago. Even still, the humidity was appalling.

"I have to wonder about what unusual environments compare to this. This place is hell. Where's the atmosphere regulating runestones when you need them, I mean really. I'd take the colds of Frostfire or even Northrend over this. Although it's still preferable to it's true timeline self. Hellfire's a bitch and a half, for a multitude of reasons," the elf rambled aimlessly. Admittedly, she just liked the sound of her own voice. The lilting Thalassian accent was soothing, even if it was her own. She couldn't wait to return to Frostfire and grab drinks with the other Farstriders, maybe convince Bel to join.

Lillic snorted, completely unladylike, and listened to Belenara ramble. She was enjoying working with a partner, even if she'd had to gouge a few "agent possibly in trouble" marks into tree trunks as she moved.

The elf was obviously young, maybe not even an adult. She walked with a grace to her step though, and her lynx was probably as deadly as it was gorgeous. Lillic was interested to find out what sort of background Belenara came from that she received a mission like this so young.

"You already named one of the zones, Hellfire Peninsula. I've actually been to all of Outland on various missions, and none of them were pleasant. Even Nagrand had it's lightning storms and random falling rocks." Feeling her breath ghost heat the fabric of her mask, Lillic gave in and pulled the bandana down.

"Stranglethorn is also...unpleasant."

Last edited by a moderator:
"I don't know, Terrokar isn't so bad. If you ignore the teleporting giant lizards, the Arrokoa cultists, the Auchindoun ruins, the Burning Legion...Yeah, you know, Shattrath might be the only livable space on that Light forsaken ruin of a planet. And even then, the muggings and petty crime could be terrible. Still, lovely city," Belenara shrugged, taking her pouch from her belt.

She dug through the small leather bag, her hand finally pulling out a waterskin and an apple.

"I've only ever been to Stranglethorn once, on my way home from Shattrath. Can't say I was there long enough to form an opinion. But since it's a jungle like this shit hole, I can only imagine. Want a sip?" The elf asked, offering the human the waterskin. The woman was obviously overheating, going off the flush of her cheeks. But Belenara figured pointing that out would only annoy the human.

Shaking her head, Lillic searched through her bag for her own waterskin. "You don't want to waste that. The water here is being corrupted."

Pulling out her 'skin she took a long drink, forcing herself to save most for later. Most of the clean water was on the other side of Hellfire Citadel and Lion's Pride, with the zone she was scouting being near the two worst sources of the fel corruption.

"Shattrath was interesting, I wish I'd been stationed there during the Burning Crusade. Shadowmoon was annoying."

The elf shrugged, taking a long drink from her skin. "It's a relatively simple matter to extract water from the air with magic. You Alliance really should dedicate more time to arcane research. Still, I suppose you have a point. That would waste quite a bit of mana....."

"Say, do you think the corrupted water would give me wings or horns first? I've already got the eyes going for me," Belenara commented dryly, before taking a bite from the apple. She chewed quickly so she could ask the question on the tip of her tongue.

"You were stationed in Shadowmoon? I don't envy you at all. I had a nice, cozy post in Shattrath. Even met some good people, Alliance side. You guys aren't all that bad, honestly," she intoned.

"Going by the warlocks I've faced, horns. First you glow, then the horns, then the wings." As she tucked her water skin back in her bag, Lillic grabbed two ration bars, making a gesture of offering it to Nara before setting it in her reach.

"I was stationed in between Manaforge Ultriss and the Celestial Ridge. Me and my partner bet to see if we were going to be ambushed by elves or dragons every night."

The operative mentally added that she won by a landslide by always voting the elves. No need to bring up something that was probably a sore point for a sin'dorei.

"And most humans can't use magic in the same way as sin'dorei. I can hide but I can't cast spells." With that, she took a bite from her ration bar to make it clear she was done speaking for the moment.

Belenara quietly nibbled at the bar she had been offered, before replying. "I feel like horns would ruin my hair. It would make finding outfits for parties an absolute nightmare. Although I'd definitely match my girlfriend..." She mumbled the last part.

"Going off that, my guess is elves by a large margin, right? My people go big or go home, even in insanity and betrayal," Belenara muttered, a slight note of bitterness in her voice but also self deprecating humour.

She spent a moment contemplating the rest of what the human had said, before finally replying. "I just don't understand how you humans can live like that. So little magic in your lives... how do you get anything done?" She questioned, confusion in her voice. Magic was as air to the Sin'dorei. Humans were such strange creatures.

Lillic sat there silently for a long moment, chewing on her ration bar and contemplating how to best answer the question. "We make due. Out technology outstrips yours, since our magic doesn't."

"And yeah, the elves beat the dragons when it came to ambushes. They were less likely to try to eat us, if that helps." Lillic forced a faint smile, trying to lighten to mood with a (very morbid) joke.

Belenara put on mock offense at the woman's statement. "Outstrip us in technology? Do humans have golems patrolling their cities and ships that sail themselves? Our machinery is just more... graceful, with more mana as a power source than that nasty... oil and gunpowder and coal you humans use. Plus all of your tech is gnomish or dwarvish, you can't take credit for that!" The elf chuckled. To be fair to the human woman, very few outsiders saw elven technology besides maybe ballistae. And humans always did have funny ideas about what makes technology advanced. After all, they still thought flying vehicles were advanced.

"I will admit I'm surprised though, I've always heard humans were absolutely delicious. Can't believe they passed up that chance," she teased.

"If it's got mana as a source it's magic. And seeing as I was the only human in the area, I'm glad they decided against cannibalism." Lillic smiled, slightly more sincere this time.

She opened her mouth, prepared to rebut the dig on human technology, when her eyes locked on a movement in the foliage nearby. As the agent lifted the facemask to cover her face again, she drew her legs under her in preparation to crouch.

"Movement." She barely breathed, hoping those elven ears were good for something.

The elf's response was almost instantaneous as she grabbed her bow and notched an arrow, quickly and gracefully turning towards the source. Her lynx quietly moved into an ambush position. The elf's eyes scanned the foliage as she stood in position.

Beyond the tall grass and ferns, a Felsworn group of orcs were traveling along a dirt path, speaking in a dialect of their language Lillic had no hope of understanding. The Felsworn were monstrous to look at, grey skin cracked open in places and glowing green blood bubbling from the wounds. Two of the orcs in front were particularly tough-looking, with twisted bone spikes jutting from their shoulders and arms that looked almost plated, a shade darker than their skin.

Lillic set up to ambush the group, trusting Belenara to follow her lead. Her pack was stuffed into a groove in the tree's roots, vials of poison set up for her to use right before they engaged the orcs.

And while she worked, she began to document the differences between the orcs. Were the plates covering the hands of some of the orcs natural, or hammered into their skin? And was the green blood being replenished at an accelerated rate to account for the open wounds?

It took Lillic a while to realize she was mumbling her thoughts as she worked, and hoped that her ally didn't hear them.

Belenara smirked slightly at the human's mumbling. Her arrow remained notched as she moved further into position, aiming for the throat of one of the orcs in the back. Human's have such adorable quirks for such a.... Quaint species, she thought to herself.

From what she could sense, the weaker looking orcs were spellcasters. The fel energy coming off them in waves was enough to make the elven girl sick. They'd be the most dangerous of the targets, despite the tougher looking ones in the front looking large enough to crush her with a single punch.

After making sure she kept track of Lillic, the elf set up a few more arrows tip down in the dirt, for easy reach. She notched a second arrow, aiming her bow in such a way that the arrows would pierce both the throat and heart of the orc. A risky move, for a human, but basic Farstrider training. All she needed was Lillic's signal, and the orcs wouldn't know what hit them.

Lillic looked over at Belenara, silently cursing when she realised none of the SI:7 hand signals would work on the elven woman. After a brief pause, she made a sharp gesture towards the two orcs in the back, mimicking drawing a bow with short gestures. Then she pointed at the orcs with spikes coming from their shoulders and pointed at herself.

You take out the casters and I'll make sure the melee fighters are no problem.

Trusting the elf to at least understand most of her commands, she pulled on the shadows with what little magical skill she had and disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back