Among the Stars - Main thread

Adira shrugged, but started showing him around anyway. "There isn't much here that you haven't already seen. It's not a large ship by any means." Still better than the bathtub, though. And even if they had somehow gotten this ship thanks to a bit of unwanted help, Adira was willing to take it. Anything was better than another round on the bathtub. She guided him to his room, and said, "Make yourself comfortable, but you're expected to schedule a check-up with Dr. Mako and Dr. Richmond. Doesn't have to be today, but definitely before we leave. And I'd try to make it to Saami's breakfast if I were you. He cooks well, and that could be the last time for a long time that he makes something and offers to share it."

Before they sent off the bathtub, Lydia was her usually relatively reclusive self. But given the upgrade of ship, she left her room more often. In fact, she could probably easily be found in the new ship's kitchen or medbay or bridge, even hallways, sketching-- well, trying to sketch-- some of it out on her tablet. It was a nice distraction to struggle with perspective, although faraway details were a pain the the ass. Drawing wasn't too new of a practice for her, in her work on the lullabye she had to doodle out and highlight basic characteristics that separated one creature or plant from another on its surface, though nothing had ever actually gotten detailed. So actually, yes, drawing was more or less new. But it was a very, very welcome distraction from a lack of things to do. Mako had been given authority over the medbay's supplies, the stock of plasma rifles had been carried over from old to new ship, and Lydia didn't know what to do with herself at all. She hadn't paid much attention during the small tour of sorts, had wandered off about halfway through. And at the moment she was seated on the floor in the hallway across from the door of her room, struggling to find out how the hell one shaded a sphere without cheating with the 'gradient' option on the toolbar.

Silas wasn't great at detecting social queues, but figured if there was a time to end this session, now would be it. Silas wasn't necessarily trying to hide or cower from Richmond, but he didn't want anything bad to happen to his former colleague and friend, especially not as bad as what happened, and Silas figured the best way to keep that from happening again was to stay away. It made him nervous to be in the same room as someone so ironically important to him. "I admire your help Albert, and I shall definitely maybe come back to check up on you - me in case I feel anything."
Silas, being a man so dedicated to his work, his organization and his friends, Richmond was the only one he would consider to be a mix of all three that was still alive. Part of him though, wished he wasn't, so he wouldn't have to bear the conscious thought of hurting another friend in the future. Silas felt sick to his stomach, like all of his body was shutting down, and wondered if someone on the ship could help him with that. He stood, shook hands with Richmond, and left, only realizing then that he left the doctor in his room. Smooth, Burns, he thought to himself as he attempted to track down a medical doctor, lost in thought until he tripped over Lydia in the hallway.

Spazzycat101 Spazzycat101

Adira looked at Richmond, then said very soberingly, "Shouldn't this be done in your office? Or private quarters at least...?" She shook her head, then said, "Find me when you're done with Elias, Richmond. I'm going to go talk to Saami about the next mission." Without waiting for a response, she tucked her tablet into her pocket, and went to the kitchen. She had no intention of actually speaking over the mission, she just wanted to relax somewhere outside of her room, and Saami didn't bother her. When she arrived, she looked at what he was doing, then asked, "Would you like any help?" With only one usable arm, Saami seemed to be... not struggling, but at least slowed. Of course, he was a prideful creature, so there was a good chance he'd say no, in which case she would just sit at the table and talk at him idly.

InsanEleven InsanEleven

Despite having to cook with one arm functioning, he seemed to have mathematically perfected making the most of what limited movement he had. Still, Adira had been right in noting he wasn't as fast as he usually was, but that didn't mean he wasn't any good at it really. He just needed a bit longer to fix it all.
"I'm fine, it'll just take a while." Not looking up from his work he continued, actually quite okay with cooking all this food. Now everything was calm and peaceful, why not have a good meal with one another. "I promise I won't punch anyone this time either." Or well, he'd fry his very best.

Adira nodded and leaned back in her seat. Nobody was around, so she quietly said, "I got a message from my father. It didn't say much. Just, 'Hope you enjoy the new ship,' and him asking if I'd like to meet with him while we're docked. Which, I wouldn't. But it makes me wonder about this ship.... honestly it's a godsend, such an improvement over the bathtub. But now I can't help but feel odd about it." Saami knew her well enough to know why. If her father had in any way been involved in getting this ship, she would owe him. He was one of the last people she wanted to be indebted to. Already, she had suspected Richmond of being sent by her father, but now a whole ship....?

InsanEleven InsanEleven

Saami just shrugged a bit while he cooked, his shoulder once more protesting but he didn't mind it much. "You know, I don't think I have much experience in dealing with unwanted gifts from parents... but, I do have a lot of experience with meddling little bitches, and just because they give you something doesn't mean you owe them. They gave it to you out of free will, the ship at least, so you can really do anything you want with it. Keep it and tell them to piss off or something, you have no obligation either way."
While speaking he'd somehow managed to finish some food, not a whole lunch or anything, but just enough to shove a plate with a thin but well-filled omelet towards her.
"You think better when you've eaten by the way, and I'm not in the mood for pleas and begging, but I'd say that you deserve one so eat for just this once. Again though, no obligations, it's a gift too I suppose, although a bit late for your birthday..."

"Well its certainly nice to have a willing patient for the first time!" Mako said brightly handing him a fresh new idea she'd had, writing down the confidentiality speech instead. Frankly it was a little weird to her as her people were very verbal (which is why she didn't think of it sooner) but she had to admit it was more efficient. "Now then this is just a general checkup and baseline but do you have any specific issues you want to bring up? I'd like to focus on any big issues rather then acting like your mother over little quibble. That said I do need your baselines so step on that scale please! She said, gesturing over to a marked area on the floor.

"Elias Xanthous, weapon expert," he introduced himself, unfazed by Richmond's cursing. Actually, he was amused that he seemed to feel awkward because of it, reminded him of some kid that let out a swear word by accident. "Guess I'll be going first," he said as Adira left. "Did you get your own office, or do you need to use your own room? I kinda got screwed here, so I have to turn my room into an office. Not the best place to leave weapon bits, but oh well." Entering his room, he left his bag on his bed, not bothering to unpack things, he would do that once the rest of his things were delivered. "So should we do this in your place or mine?"

S StrawBarry

Lydia was so engrossed with her struggles of lighting and shading that she didn't notice the sound of footsteps, and didn't acknowledge another person's presence until she was tripped over by said person. The jagged scribble that cut the picture in half would be easily erased with the undo function. Lydia looked up with mild shock and confusion to see Silas, looking lost. After a few confused seconds, Lydia switched off the tablet, stood up from her place on the floor and greeted him with a 'Yes?' As if she hadn't just been tripped over.

Michael had been settling into the new ship, and since they were docked, been dragging in excessive amounts of ammo to compensate for last mission, probably too much, but his own room was his aesthetic, and his aesthetic was apparently spare bullets all over the place, on drawers, lined up near his clothing, really all over the place. He had also hanged his armor, cleaning out ash and dust while listening to music. It was oddly calming and soothing, a women singing a peaceful tune about home or some relatable thing like that. He had occasionally popped out of his room to take food in and plates out, but for the most part was self absorbed in his rifle and armor. Even with the door wide open, he didn't seem to be bothered at all self-consciously by what he was doing.

Argus kept a pleasant demeanor and allowed the doctor to finish her talk. “Well, you don’t have to worry about me being a difficult patient. I tend to be pretty easy going when it comes to medical examinations. As for any issue? Hmm…. Nothing new, just the same old issues. Oversensitivity, due to the spinal surgery, chronic pain that leads to insomnia and slight depression due to the insomnia. Other than that, I try to be as healthy as possible.” Argus was pretty much an open book and hoped that Mako could help with at least some of his issues. At the same time Argus didn’t expect mako to find any answers to his problems anytime soon so he didn’t expect much from this visit. He steps on the scale and noticed he had lost a couple of lbs recently. He took a mental note to review his diet. Since he could exercise regularly, he had to rely on eating a strict diet to help keep himself in healthy shape. When he steps off the scale he looked at the doctor, waiting for her to begin her check-up. “Also, forgot to mention that, my file is incomplete due to tampering by my family.” theunderwolf theunderwolf

Adira nodded at Saami's words. He was right, after all. She hadn't asked for the help, her father had chosen of his own free will to influence her getting the ship.As fiercely independent as she was, she would take the hand-out. After all, it was a pretty nice ship, and her crew deserved a place even nicer than that, so this was the least she could do. And it was better than her stealing a ship, wasn't it? Not to mention, if they hadn't earned it at least somewhat in the eyes of the FFA, then they wouldn't have gotten it at all, no matter what her father tried.

When Saami put the food in front of her, she smirked and said, "You're the second person today to ask me to eat something. Don't you all know it's rude to comment on a lady's weight?" More quietly, she said, "Thank you, though. Both for the concern and the food."

"I know you well enough to at least know you're far from a lady." Saami said as he had returned to his business cooking, making sure everything was ready in time. "And I suppose it's nice to you know... get people in a better condition with something I did. Instead of... the usual..." His sentence trailing off a little he stood still again behind his pans, his motions suddenly heavy and it had little to do with his wounded arm. For a long moment he went silent, the fingers of his good hand fidgeting with the back of his knife. A slight trembling resonated through his fingers, making the tip of the blade wobble uncertainly before he put it down and instead grabbed on of his pans to stir it's contents.
"Oh well, I'll have plenty of time to cook when we're going on the next mission. Doesn't mean you can skip this meal though." Perhaps the most obvious thing to notice about his cheeriness was that it was there, which never happened on it's own without a damn good reason. Lunch wasn't one, and it was easy to tell this cheerfulness was carefully measered and applied to hide how the tremble had got to his voice. Maybe he didn't want to give in, maybe he hoped that the fake would eventually lead to the real thing. In either case he just fought against whatever it was in his mind that wore so heavy his body grew tired. Not today, not now... not this time.
"You know I've been thinking to maybe buy a hoverboard, take it out to the mountains or such... when I have the money at least. I would need your permission for a permit to go out of Verglas though."

Dragongal Dragongal

Adira knew the cheeriness was fake. She practically knew what was running through his head already, but she decided not to comment on it. That would more than likely only insult him, pointing out what he was clearly trying to hide. The silence was somber, because both of them understood the need for normal fake cheeriness. Adira was a bit surprised when he spoke again. The hover board idea was a bit of a surprise, though. She took a bite of the omelet, then said, "You know I'd sign off a pass for you to go anywhere you wanted. I'm not going to keep you stuck where you don't want to be." Hell, maybe everyone needed to get a hover board to mess around with.

"Wonderful." Silas said, more towards himself than Lydia. "You're a doctor, I think... Do doctor stuff for me." He motioned to himself as if it was a visible wound. Realizing she probably needed more information, he continued. "I'm not feeling very, uh, well. I'll give you everything I own and a firm handshake if you help me." To Silas, handshakes were the equivalent of giving all of your trust, and Silas' trust wasn't given out often. He gave Richmond a handshake because of his immeasurable amount of fear of the man. As much as Silas could recollect, he hadn't given a handshake to anyone else on the ship, and for good reason.

For several seconds, Lydia's eyebrows were raised in what was half confusion.
'Well... before anything, you need to give me details about what's wrong.' She turned the tablet back on and pulled up a noatation page without breaking eye contact. 'And probably go to the medbay, unless it's still busy...' Lydia sent Mako a quick message, asking if the medbay was still in use or if it was open. 'So while we wait for that,' She muttered, then looked back up at Silas, 'What's wrong?'

"I just need anxiety pills. And anything else you can give me at once." Silas wasn't sure how to say what he was feeling, it was already difficult enough for him to talk to other people. After Richmond's psych test, Silas felt completely disembodied from himself - if only he had a psychologist to talk to. Silas almost laughed at the irony of the situation, but kept a steel expression. "Just, uh... Hard to breathe, throat hurt, heart going fast... Yeah."

Elias moved his bag to the side and sat on his bed. He knew movies didn't give a accurate portrayal of how psychologists worked, or of anything really, but he assumed it would be somewhat more professional looking. Instead he sat there while the doctor took a seat on the floor of all places, not quite feeling awkward but close to it. "I'm good. First time I'll be leaving the planet this long, but it doesn't really feel that much different than going out for a vacation, you know."

S StrawBarry

'Oh, um, okay. Well, first get yourself some water, and try to measure your breathing if you're able to. I can get you something for the anxiety short-term if that does nothing to help. I would suggest you talk to Richmond if this is a chronic thing, but you don't have to if you don't want to. Just recommended. Anyway, um, I can go get that medication right now if you want.'
Lydia was not an expert in mental medicine. It wasn't the closest to her areas of skill, but she knew a knew how to quell a panic or anxiety attack.
'Have you eaten anything of value in the last day or so? That might also contribute. Either way, you should probably head to the kitchen, I don't think the medbay's available yet...' Lydia started away to to go by the medbay to retrieve something that would help to calm Silas's nerves.
Solar Daddy Solar Daddy

Last edited:
Silas nodded in response, since his voice would probably give out if he tried to talk anymore. This had been the first time he had talked to Richmond ever since they had their falling out, and Silas obviously wasn't over their past. He clenched his fists for a moment, before making his way towards the galley and sitting at the table. He wasn't hungry, he felt like throwing up. But, he had forced himself to try to eat something, which proved more difficult than it should have been. Silas could remain cool under pressure, but Richmond was a lasting, living reminder that he made mistakes in his life and that he couldn't undo what he had done. Shakily, he got himself some water as well, and hoped it was enough to keep his nerves at bay until Lydia returned to him.

Adira looked idly over at Silas as he sat down, then took another few bites of her omelette before commenting in a rather lazy tone, "You look like you saw a ghost. If you're hungry, Saami makes some of the best damn food you could ask for, though." If she was eating, it had to be really good, didn't it? Why did Silas look so nervous, though? Was it because of something with the ship? Did something break? No, he'd have told her if that was the case. Now she just hoped Saami would play nice with Silas. Both of them seemed rather tired, in an emotionally drained way, though. And while she would admit that she was too, she would rather hide that and help the other two if possible.

Looking back at Adira, Sam's face lighted up in a content smile for a moment, and although it was slightly forced he was still genuinely enjoying the idea of being able to go out of Verglas and explore the surroundings. However, his smile was soon replaced with mild confusion as Silas had abruptly entered the kitchen and taken his place at the table, clearly in an even worse mood than Sam was, which was a feat in itself.
Falling quiet again, he just focused on his food instead, making sure it'd be ready by the time anybody wanted it. With one arm functioning that'd take a bit longer, and now Adira had given him a standard to live up to he'd better made sure it was good. It wasn't that often he cooked for multiple people, and the last time hadn't ended well to say the least. With how Silas looked he wondered if it'd be any better this time around, although with one arm he wouldn't be able to choke the life out of someone as easily.

Silas didn't react at all to the others in the room, seemingly not even knowing they were there. He was so out of focus that he hadn't realized he was out of water in his cup until a few seconds passed without getting anything left. He set down the cup, and seemed to suddenly notice Saami and Adira. A little startled, he realized she had asked a question, and formulated an answer a moment later. "I'm uh, not... You..." He gave up trying to talk, his muscles tightening as his hand reached into his pocket and fidgeted with the gears again. "I'll take some." He said, after his excessive toying calmed him slightly. Soon Lydia would be joining them, and that'd make his wanting to be alone only increase. "So, how about those purlins huh?"

Adira watched Silas for a few moments. She'd seen him be nervous ans socially awkward, but this was a new level of anxiety. He was even talking about architecture again. After taking a glance to Saami, then looking back at Silas, Adira said, "I wouldn't know much about it, I haven't exactly looked into them at all." That would leave Silas needing to think of something to say, though, so Adira added on, "How are the mechanics of the new ship looking to you? Everything good so far?" They hadn't been on the ship long at all, but she was willing to bet he had just jumped right in with the engineering aspects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back