• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Traditional Amateur Drawer

Malkav

A Real Human Bean
I know that I'm not even close to anything professional, but for the first time in a long, long time I decided to draw something today, and I guess I felt that it'd be okay to share it. I know that there are much more talented people here, but I hope that someone likes this.

20180611_083300.jpg

Hi! I'm an art student and indie game artist, so I think I can attempt to help you a little. Would you mind me drawing over your art to make explaining easier?

overpaintmalkav.png

Here you go! General tip for faces: look at people a lot. You're going to seem creepy but stare at their face for a while and drawing them will become easier. My boyfriend was my victim, and I just told him I did it because I love him so much haha
Reference photos and live sketching (in a coffee shop or mcdonalds for example) also work :)

These are quick sketches so not 100% right and I stylize stuff a little usually, but it should give an idea, I hope it helps

So, the first one is yours! First thing you notice is how the face is skewed, and the lack of neck and chin. I lasso selected the features, and more-or-less put them in place. So, the eyes in the midde of the head (the ears next to the eyes), the nose halfway in between the chin and the eyes, and the mouth (a little higher than) halfway between the chin and the nose (I still have a tiny little anime nose tendency so that isn't right in my drawing haha). I also made the shoulders wider so we get a neck.
(And I sneakily made the paper lighter and the contrast higher. Taking better photos in natural light will help your art look better, too)

The last image is your drawing the way I would draw it. The bottom one is how I would explain drawing the face- The eyes sit in the eyesockets, and the eyebrows sit on top of the sockets. The triangle is to get a good shape, the jaw poking out at the sides, and the mouth about as wide as the triangle on that point. (The mouth is usually as wide as the distance between the insides of the eyes) I gave her hair a little weight and direction (yours seems a little floaty here and there) This ofcourse all depends on the person you're drawing and your style so you can play with these!
The lines in the bottom row is me trying to show how skewed it was but ofcourse I cant draw straight lines
Sorry for the huge story I hope it helps I did my best (I'm only a student forgive me)

If you're looking to learn anatomy, an artist called Sinix has a great series on it! Sinix Design

Thanks, that was really informative! I know that I suck with anatomy and I honestly didn't do any line-drawing, just sloppy freehand. I've had people try to show me work similar to the one you did on the right with the triangles and whatnot, but it is immensely more helpful to see it on your own work so that you can see the subtle ways to improve it instead of trying to go to ground zero.

I think my best drawing was from a couple years ago where I drew Kairi from Kingdom Hearts II. I think I spent a whole night on it. Also I have an Android with a shit camera, so that doesn't help me.

20180612_020749.jpg

I can already tellthat thd right eye is off and that the skull is skewed.

And I'll check out Sinix for sure! Thanks for the advice!

I'm glad it was helpful, and I wish you lots of fun drawing!

In that picture, you can see you used a reference, that's why it turned out so well :)
I have that too, when trying to paint anatomy and realism (or more semi-realism haha)

I'm glad it was helpful, and I wish you lots of fun drawing!

In that picture, you can see you used a reference, that's why it turned out so well :)
I have that too, when trying to paint anatomy and realism (or more semi-realism haha)

Yeah, I sometimes reference, sometimes freehand, depends on the mood. Thanks again for the advice!

That’s awesome. I wish I could draw that well

Yeah, anyone can draw. The first thing you have to do is get over your lack of confidence. It happens to everyone, and will keep happening. It's just the hurdle you go through.

This is one of the only people I’ve drawn:View attachment 450485

I've only ever done one color work, but my amateur advice is to go lighter on the pencil to start, then go a little darker to shade in as needed. Also try to avoid lifting the pencil in general when coloring in so that it looks smoother. wanderways wanderways would know better than me, though.

Also, try practicing eyes. I struggle with the eyes more than anything (matching them sucks!) but it helps a lot.

Oh definitely.
Here’s another one. I first drew it, digitized it, then edited that version.
B078C42A-BD95-43D0-99E1-C8D71F441BB9.jpeg
216F9E21-8E09-494F-AEA2-70D0DF23F519.jpeg
258C8DCA-C8DF-4BB8-B819-848173F0266E.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back